I know you're a tourist because ....

Options

Replies

• lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We don't get tourists in this tiny town. If we did - hopefully they know someone here, because the nearest hotel is about 35 minutes away, there is not a store; the family owned restaurants all close by 2 p.m. in the afternoon; and we have a single gas station that closes at 11 p.m.

From a native New Yorker...

giphy.gif
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You pronounce Houston Street wrong.

You stay in a Manhattan hotel.

You eat in Manhattan.

That's all I got right now.

Wait. You're a tourist if, while visiting Manhatten, you EAT IN MANHATTEN? That's harsh, man. What, am I suppose to go to Brooklyn to eat?

Also you are a tourist if you spell Manhattan with an "e". :laugh:
    :laugh: :drinker:
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You pronounce Houston Street wrong.

You stay in a Manhattan hotel.

You eat in Manhattan.

That's all I got right now.

Wait. You're a tourist if, while visiting Manhatten, you EAT IN MANHATTEN? That's harsh, man. What, am I suppose to go to Brooklyn to eat?

Also you are a tourist if you spell Manhattan with an "e". :laugh:

Doh! Well played.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We don't get tourists in this tiny town. If we did - hopefully they know someone here, because the nearest hotel is about 35 minutes away, there is not a store; the family owned restaurants all close by 2 p.m. in the afternoon; and we have a single gas station that closes at 11 p.m.

From a native New Yorker...

giphy.gif

LOL - we even have the original brick road from the 1800s and only stop signs - no need for traffic lights.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    You ask me how I can live here and not go to the beach every day.

YES. This.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    You ate a cheesesteak on 2nd street and thought it was good

You think Independence Hall & Independence Mall are 2 different things

You expected the Liberty Bell to be bigger
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I hate this one >>>>> you ask me where to 'pahk your cah.'
  • moijo75
    moijo75 Posts: 11
    Options
    ......Your wearing new balance trainers like there the best thing since sliced bread :tongue:
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You pronounce Portillo's as Por-tee-ohs.

You eat at Portillo's because you want an authentic Chicago hot dog.

You have to ask what a pizza puff is.

You think you can get shot at any time. Oh wait...forget that one.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    When you see a fighter jet flying low, you point and scream "What's happening to it?!" It's landing. That's what happens when you're next to an air force base.

Also, you ask "Do they always fly this low?" No, they're only doing that because you're in town.

OMG so true for Virginia Beach too. We have NAS Oceana and jets scream by all the time. I call SC home, but lived here long enough to not even flinch when they pass by. In fact, my 9yo fell asleep while the Blue Angels were performing at an air show. Yes, he was born here lol
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We are generally the true sense of a fly over state, but for those that stop in for longer than five minutes we know "yall aint from around here."

You don't know who Gary England is and why he was/is important to us.

You can't understand why we don't freak out over storm clouds or all those major storm centers "predictions" until we see Gary get serious.

Storms and tourist reactions to them have two camps. Group number 1 tourists stop in the path of an oncoming tornado to take pics because they don't know the general direction tornados move. Group number 2 lose their minds and panic at the first sign of gray clouds.

You ask where are all the Indians?

You wonder why all of our native americans aren't wearing their native garb.

You think it's weird we wear the cowboy boots, spurs, and cowboy hats.

You believe our use of slang and drawl is indicative of our dim wits. (I'm not going to lie we do have some dim wits out there though.)

You repeatedly ask how do we tolerate this...wind, heat, cold, and bugs. We hear mostly about the wind and bugs.

You stubbornly wear that Sonics gear as a show of rebellion and solidarity even though it's been years now. Get over it already. (On a side note love Washington it's a gorgeous state.)

No, we do not have any wild buffalo anymore, but yes we do have a preserve and a refuge with buffalo roaming there.

You can't understand why we stare at tourists and find it disconcerting. Truth is you are entertainment for us, not many come through especially from out of country and we are bored =) Welcome to OK
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Surely not in the Hahvid Yahd?!
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    - You walk down Spring Garden Road and are impressed.
    - You speak French or Newfie or something else other than English.
    - You wander the Public Gardens with your camera glued to your face (and ask the nurses on their lunch breaks to take your picture. Btw? No. Just no).
    - You give money to the "homeless" guy on Spring Garden Road.
    - You go on the Harbour Hopper and believe the tour guide that we have "one of the largest naval fleets in Canada" and take pictures of the ships. (No, it's THE largest... of two).
    - You buy tartan things...
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    When it's winter time here and the natives are wearing jackets, you are wearing shorts.... 65 is cold people!

When it's 52 degrees here and you're wearing pants, down jacket and a hat.

That's shorts and a hoodie weather.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Surely not in the Hahvid Yahd?!

They get this for that ....

W8YfiYI.gif
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    You take the Heathrow Express.

You try to swipe your paper ticket on the Oyster readers.

You press the buttons to open the tube doors.

You take the tube from Leicester Square to Covent Garden.

You barge onto the train before letting the people off then tell everyone that Londoners are rude.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Brussels - you approach people in the city centre in gaggles ask where the nearst McDonalds is. Whilst being no more than 100 metres away from a fantastic restaurant or bar at any one time.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You keep checking under the toilet seat for spiders

To be fair, I do this in England.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    you pronounce Toronto To ron toe
    you assume all Canadians know each other " oh i know a guy from Brampton do you know him?"
    really REALLY REALLY REALLY slow drivers in the winter

holy shiiiiiiiiiiittttt *kitten* drive it will probably not kill you but might but still drive

make a tim hortons ,hockey or moose joke

"it takes how long to get there???" being really surprised how long it takes to get places here... Ontario is *kitten* huge look at a map
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    When you see a fighter jet flying low, you point and scream "What's happening to it?!" It's landing. That's what happens when you're next to an air force base.

Also, you ask "Do they always fly this low?" No, they're only doing that because you're in town.

OMG so true for Virginia Beach too. We have NAS Oceana and jets scream by all the time. I call SC home, but lived here long enough to not even flinch when they pass by. In fact, my 9yo fell asleep while the Blue Angels were performing at an air show. Yes, he was born here lol

I used to live by a small airport when I was a kid, so I'm used to it.

What really freaks newbs out is when the base starts testing their alarm systems. :laugh: