What was the 1st thing you changed?

Options

Replies

• shellrene103074
    shellrene103074 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eliminated iced tea and drink water only now.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Weighing my ice cream out instead of cramming as much as I could into my bowl.
  • cassandraleone1
    Options
    no artificial sweeteners.. i had a serious problem with Diet Mountian Dew
  • tzdani
    tzdani Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Started walking the dog! After a few pounds lost, I started thinking that I'd try to change some of my eating habits. The changes were small at first. Over time, I added additional exercise and started reading labels. Amazing what you'll find there....
  • zebandersson
    Options
    Quit smoking and drinking. I am a recovering alcoholic and quitting drinking is by far the toughest thing I've ever done. But knowing that I can live a life without alcohol and cigarettes just makes the exercise and diet so much easier!
  • johncarrjr
    johncarrjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing I changed was the amount of carbs I take in. This includes Sugar, Pasta, potatoes, breads. I didn't eliminate them totally, but I count how many I intake.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Got off my *kitten*
  • shuasmith
    Options
    When I found Mio and was able to cut out soda/tea 99% of the time it was huge. Those are so many calories I had just been drinking away.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    my mind.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Of course I signed up here on this site 1st but the first thing I did to get started was to stop eating what I call "bad foods" and replace with good foods. I quit eggs, bacon, butter, fries and chips cold turkey.
  • lgriffithschall
    lgriffithschall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking regular soda as my 'go-to' drink. I realized I was drinking almost my daily calorie limit in soda! Now I drink mainly zero-calorie flavored water, 1-2 diet sodas per day, and the occaisional fountain non-diet Dr. Pepper on the weekends as a treat.
  • Klunker79
    Options
    My mindset, attitude and outlook
  • handicapsmile64
    Options
    I am just getting started in developing this new lifestyle, but the one thing I had to get real about was logging EVERYTHING I eat - the good, the bad and the ugly. Unfortunately I was one of those people whose thought pattern was "if no one sees me eat it....". This is the first way I am getting real with myself.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My head. I was messed up in there first...
    then it was my body...
    then it was my hormones...
    ... now I need to fix my head some more.
  • morgan_pope
    morgan_pope Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started making little swaps: 2% milk instead of whole milk (down to 1% now!), skip the cheese, light dressing instead of regular.....things like that. And then I joined MFP. :happy:
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    My mindset. Took my head out the sand and started logging everything I ate. Every once in a while I go back and look at those first days of logging to remind myself how far I've come in the last couple years.
  • Stacey33ky
    Options
    Was my attitude. .. I feel people fail to realize how important it is to stay positive ..dont be afraid to be proud of yourself and to giveyourself a pat on the back!
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep.
  • teknosprite
    teknosprite Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Believing that it was even possible for me to have enough control over my body to lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. I honestly believed I could not do it for the longest time. I thought it was just how I was meant to be.

Part of building that belief was coming on here. Seeing others' dedication, results, and having the accountability and support is wonderful. Coming on and logging my previous intake for even one day was a huge slap in the face - that was the first step. We just dont realize how much we take in in a day...

Also, I had to stop comparing myself to others. Had to stop looking at "skinny pretty" people and feeling jealous and instead just work on myself because I want to, because *I* want to look "good" which ultimately I realize has much less to do with "looking" good than FEELING good!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Portion control
    Cut out junk food
    Cut out pasta
    Added more fruits and veggies
    Cut out dairy
    Cut out 90% gluten
    Added exercise