Overweight personal trainers

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just because a PT is overweight doesn't mean they don't know what they're teaching about. They struggle just like the rest of us with motivation and such. So the best thing is to talk to them and see what they know and what their credentials are.

Same thing with doctors - they know about health, but many have a hard time keeping up with their own.

If my PT and/or Doctor has a "hard time" keeping up with their health what makes me think that they would have my best interests in mind?

ETA: I personally would want a PT who knew what they were talking about and had the physique. Same with a doctor. If you're telling me how to be healthy then I certainly expect you to be the poster child for healthy yourself.

Over the winter I normally eat (well) over maintenance and *gasp* lose my six pack for the purposes of training a particular quality.

If you met me in the depths of January would my knowledge of training be less than if you met me after I'd cut the winter fat and had my abs back?

This whole discussion was ridiculous the first time around and it hasn't improved upon it's return IMHO.
    thats bulking, im sure you dont bulk to the point where you have moobs and have a gut sticking out far enough that you cant see your toes

slightly overweight i would be alright with, but a PT is supposed to be passionate about fitness. it may be stereotyping but i think in most cases its fair to assume that someone overweight isnt all that passionate about fitness, even if they do have a knowledge base in the feild

I'm sure that power lifters are passionate about fitness too.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

i should have been more specific, im assuming that OP is referring to overweight people who are overweight due to fat mass and not muscle mass. but i still wouldnt want someone +20% bf for a pt no matter their muscle composition because in most cases people seek pt's for weight loss and not strength training. typically id want someone who practices what they preach

plus alot of power lifters arent necessarily passionate about fitness, just strength
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Just because a PT is overweight doesn't mean they don't know what they're teaching about. They struggle just like the rest of us with motivation and such. So the best thing is to talk to them and see what they know and what their credentials are.

Same thing with doctors - they know about health, but many have a hard time keeping up with their own.

If my PT and/or Doctor has a "hard time" keeping up with their health what makes me think that they would have my best interests in mind?

ETA: I personally would want a PT who knew what they were talking about and had the physique. Same with a doctor. If you're telling me how to be healthy then I certainly expect you to be the poster child for healthy yourself.

Over the winter I normally eat (well) over maintenance and *gasp* lose my six pack for the purposes of training a particular quality.

If you met me in the depths of January would my knowledge of training be less than if you met me after I'd cut the winter fat and had my abs back?

This whole discussion was ridiculous the first time around and it hasn't improved upon it's return IMHO.
    thats bulking, im sure you dont bulk to the point where you have moobs and have a gut sticking out far enough that you cant see your toes

slightly overweight i would be alright with, but a PT is supposed to be passionate about fitness. it may be stereotyping but i think in most cases its fair to assume that someone overweight isnt all that passionate about fitness, even if they do have a knowledge base in the feild

So fitness == low bf%?
  • jimmmer
    Options

i should have been more specific, im assuming that OP is referring to overweight people who are overweight due to fat mass and not muscle mass. but i still wouldnt want someone +20% bf for a pt no matter their muscle composition because in most cases people seek pt's for weight loss and not strength training. typically id want someone who practices what they preach

plus alot of power lifters arent necessarily passionate about fitness, just strength

Strength is a quality.

If you want to be fit in a strength dominant sport, you'd better develop strength.

I think you might think that fit is the same thing as having a low bf%. That would be true in some sports. Not in others.
  • BigT555
    Options

So fitness == low bf%?
    not exclusively, but i think its fair to say someone who is above 25% isnt really "fit", regardless of how big their squat is
  • jimmmer
    Options

So fitness == low bf%?
    not exclusively, but i think its fair to say someone who is above 25% isnt really "fit", regardless of how big their squat is

Yeah, then we disagree on what fit means.

It can only mean "apt for a task" as far as I'm concerned.

25%+ can be seen regularly on elite shot putters and discus throwers. I'm talking olympic level athletes. These guys are at the point where a lower bf% would actually detract from their performance.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

So fitness == low bf%?

So... you mean to tell me that you wouldn't hire one of these two gentlemen, if they offered personal training services, just because they have some extra fat on their own bodies?

Mark_Rippetoe.jpg
    colts_hire_jim_tressel_as_gameday_consultant_but_wheres_his_suspension.jpg
  • BigT555
    Options

So fitness == low bf%?

So... you mean to tell me that you wouldn't hire one of these two gentlemen, if they offered personal training services, just because they have some extra fat on their own bodies?
    sure i would. but i also know who rippletoe and tressel are so i know they have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to exercise. given the option between someone who has the body type of these two fellas vs someone who has sub 15% bf and a decent amount of muscle without knowing who they are id choose the latter all day. but my goals also arent strength related atm, also most people dont seek out pt's for strength training to my knowledge, usually its people with very little fitness related knowledge just trying to shed some pounds, and reasonably they are going to pick the person who has the body type they are striving for
  • likitisplit
    Options

So fitness == low bf%?

sure i would. but i also know who rippletoe and tressel are so i know they have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to exercise. given the option between someone who has the body type of these two fellas vs someone who has sub 15% bf and a decent amount of muscle without knowing who they are id choose the latter all day. but my goals also arent strength related atm, also most people dont seek out pt's for strength training to my knowledge, usually its people with very little fitness related knowledge just trying to shed some pounds, and reasonably they are going to pick the person who has the body type they are striving for

My original post on this thread used the example of a personal trainer I had. His physique had a lot more to do with genetics than knowledge. Reflectively, it could have something to do with steroids. If a newbie picks based on body type, they could be judging the book by its cover.

Now, if you're saying a PT is best served by looking the part...well, so are we all. I don't wear makeup on the weekend but I'm fully put together for the office.
  • BigT555
    Options

My original post on this thread used the example of a personal trainer I had. His physique had a lot more to do with genetics than knowledge. Reflectively, it could have something to do with steroids. If a newbie picks based on body type, they could be judging the book by its cover.
    what else do they really have to go off of though, other than credentials? for the most part when you pic a pt all you have to go off of is a picture and a short list of their experience
    Now, if you're saying a PT is best served by looking the part...well, so are we all. I don't wear makeup on the weekend but I'm fully put together for the office.
    it is initially. most people arent willing to put in the time with a pt if they think theres a chance that they dont know all that much, and most are going to assume someone fit is going to have more knowledge than someone overweight
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    This can also be twisted the other way I am not going to go train with someone who is so petite that she is below a size zero and can not begin to really spot me or relate to what my goals and weights are. We are going to naturally go to someone who has the body first that we like or want and then in order to really work with them they have to have the knowledge. I know it is biast but I perfer a guy he is going to push me more and want the higher weights normally I realize there are exceptions to this but I feel more comfortable with a guy.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    One of my friends was a pt. Clients would remark how nicely slender and all which I'm sure got the bookings/clients. Little did they know my friend didn't work out anymore. Had a meth habit. Still does.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    what else do they really have to go off of though, other than credentials? for the most part when you pic a pt all you have to go off of is a picture and a short list of their experience

it is initially. most people arent willing to put in the time with a pt if they think theres a chance that they dont know all that much, and most are going to assume someone fit is going to have more knowledge than someone overweight

With the amount of money people throw away on personal trainers, they really should look into the credentials and maybe even talk with past clients.

I was lucky with my last one. She taught fitness classes at my gym, so I knew that I could understand her direction and we had several conversations about biomechanics and strength, so I knew she was on the same page as me about fitness.

Also, she BQ'd several times and was hired by Jeff Galloway to lead stretching and cross-training classes for his running groups.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

How about the same thing everyone else has to go off of when hiring someone -- resume, references, etc? If you're seriously considering dropping a few hundred dollars on a PT, then you should put in a little effort to dig deeper and get more information about them. Find a person that has your interests in their short list and go talk to them. If they're successful, then they should be more than happy to give you more information about references, reviews, etc. If you're not completely clueless about the things you're looking to do, talk them them about those things and see if they really know what they're talking about.
    This can also be twisted the other way I am not going to go train with someone who is so petite that she is below a size zero and can not begin to really spot me or relate to what my goals and weights are. We are going to naturally go to someone who has the body first that we like or want and then in order to really work with them they have to have the knowledge. I know it is biast but I perfer a guy he is going to push me more and want the higher weights normally I realize there are exceptions to this but I feel more comfortable with a guy.

That's a safety issue, primarily, which I think is one of the few legit reasons to choose someone by physique. If you can bench press your PT's weight three times over, you probably need someone larger, unless she's got a super-impressive strength to weight ratio and can actually handle the weights you're doing.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be fit to be a good PT.
    The easiest way to understand this is to look at coaches in pro level sports and doctors.

Just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have to portray it.

Also, with PT in particular, you have to remember 99% of the people you see in the media are taking AAS. Non-aas healthy people can look vastly different (from eachother) depending on current BF. Just because a PT looks fat, doesn't mean they are.

note: im not anti-aas
  • miniwheatxoxo
    Options
    Why is this a topic? If you arent experiencing it yourself, then why do you care???? I can understnad if you just signed up using a personal trainer and were expecting this fit person, but this isnt a problem for you. Focus on what matters. Food for thought.
  • Stacey33ky
    Options
    I myself would prefer a fit trainer I feel it would motivate me to look my best being around someone who was fit... i also agree being overweight or not looking like you are fit does not nessacierly mean you couldn't be a good trainer.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/

Actually my hairdresser is great but her hair is usually messy. She's always so busy with tons of clients that she rarely finds time to focus on herself.
  • likitisplit
    Options

How about the same thing everyone else has to go off of when hiring someone -- resume, references, etc? If you're seriously considering dropping a few hundred dollars on a PT, then you should put in a little effort to dig deeper and get more information about them. Find a person that has your interests in their short list and go talk to them. If they're successful, then they should be more than happy to give you more information about references, reviews, etc. If you're not completely clueless about the things you're looking to do, talk them them about those things and see if they really know what they're talking about.

That's a safety issue, primarily, which I think is one of the few legit reasons to choose someone by physique. If you can bench press your PT's weight three times over, you probably need someone larger, unless she's got a super-impressive strength to weight ratio and can actually handle the weights you're doing.

You know, I think that there is ample room for a Stronglifts type "weight lifting basics" group class for the beginners who usually end up with personal trainers. A lot of times, newbies just don't know where to start and they don't know the questions they should be asking because they haven't had the experience that would let them formulate the question.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    IMO this is a matter of 'Do as I say, not as I do'.
    I know a lot of overweight (and/or unhealthy) doctors and personal trainers who are EXCELLENT at their jobs. Perhaps they don't follow their own advice, but their personal fitness doesn't necessarily minimise their knowledge on the subject.