MY RESONSE TO -"SO YOU WANT A NICE STOMACH"

Options

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The stand point I am coming from is I have DR's in my family and they have told me it is MEDICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for a womens stomach/the muscles to go back to what they were before pregnancy because they get too stretched and injured. So that is why I made my post, understand? and if that is your real stomach author than I quess I will read your post more carefully so I can tell my Dr's in my family about what you say, did not mean to sound bashing. :)

Is your last name by any chance... OZ? Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean that they are right.

Obviously.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My conclusion from this thread. Some people should not be allowed to post on the internet without a responsible sane adult present
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I SAID THIS AT THE END OF THE ABOVE THREAD BUT IT SHOULD BE REPEATED SO WOMEN WITH CHILDREN DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT THEMSELVES OR HAVE UNREAL EXPECTATIONS, AND TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT HAD KIDDIES KUDOS TO YOU, I USED TO HAVE RIPPED ABS BEFORE I HAD KIDS ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!! LOL....I don't care how skinny you get, how much weight you lose, or how many sit-ups or training you do, how much self discipline, self will you have, if you have had babies, especially 2-3+ there's no way you will have a ripped stomach EVER AGAIN. Although it can be IMPROVED WITH EXERCISE AND MOSTLY IMPROVED BY SURGURY. There will always be that extra skin from STRETCHING.....but for me I am PROUD AND OF MY STRETCH MARKS those are my BATTLE SCARS and I would not have my BEAUTIFUL SONS WITHOUT THEM :)

Sorry, I have two kids and no loose skin on my stomach (still have a bit more fat than I'd like, but I'm working on it). I never had ripped abs before I had the kids but tbh, I wasn't interested in it then. I certainly plan on having some now - might take me till I'm 50 but it WILL happen.

No point in having a defeatist attitude.

Not sure what age your kids are OP but skin can take up to 2 years to 'snap back' and stretch marks appear better over time, especially if you look after your skin.

Work on getting those abs back and be an inspiration for your boys :)
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My mother is ripped and has abs. I have 3 sisters.
    And since it's medically impossible, now you know that you and your sisters are adopted.

robert-deniro-laughing.gif
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few success stories that didn't involve surgery and were amazing after mommy bellies.

However, I'll just be happy not to look six months pregnant. My son is 18, so this belly is long past its expiration date. Will I get a six pack? I doubt it very much. But in my twenties when I was very active and worked out after working a physical job it looked a hell of a lot better than it does now.

What can be improved should be improved by those who find it worthwhile to put in the work. What cannot be improved must be endured by those too poor to afford a plastic surgeon.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ummm doesn't fitmom have a 12 pack and 8 kids???
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    <---- has kids, not to shabby

You go sexy b
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I SAID THIS AT THE END OF THE ABOVE THREAD BUT IT SHOULD BE REPEATED SO WOMEN WITH CHILDREN DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT THEMSELVES OR HAVE UNREAL EXPECTATIONS, AND TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT HAD KIDDIES KUDOS TO YOU, I USED TO HAVE RIPPED ABS BEFORE I HAD KIDS ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!! LOL....I don't care how skinny you get, how much weight you lose, or how many sit-ups or training you do, how much self discipline, self will you have, if you have had babies, especially 2-3+ there's no way you will have a ripped stomach EVER AGAIN. Although it can be IMPROVED WITH EXERCISE AND MOSTLY IMPROVED BY SURGURY. There will always be that extra skin from STRETCHING.....but for me I am PROUD AND OF MY STRETCH MARKS those are my BATTLE SCARS and I would not have my BEAUTIFUL SONS WITHOUT THEM :)

tumblr_lr6om5vR7y1qg3qx4.gif
    I think I love you!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    No I am PROUD of my body especially when I gained 75 lbs with all pregnancys and now I am 113 lbs. I just don't like people giving women that have had babies unreal expectations about their stomachs is all. If I was that upset I would go run out and get PLASTIC SURGURY I certainly have the money too but I have not! And I would like to know HOW many pregnancies the author has had? I have had four. I'm not bashing you author but it is hard to believe that picture is your real stomach if you have had multiple pregnancies, maybe If you have had one, it would be easier to believe. The stand point I am coming from is I have DR's in my family and they have told me it is MEDICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for a womens stomach/the muscles to go back to what they were before pregnancy because they get too stretched and injured. So that is why I made my post, understand? and if that is your real stomach author than I quess I will read your post more carefully so I can tell my Dr's in my family about what you say, did not mean to sound bashing. :)

The OP of that thread has never given unrealistic advice. She's actually posted pics of her belly - loose skin, stretchmarks and all. She's just as proud of her battle scars as you and the rest of us are. She's just knows what works best to alleviate the look of it, and was sharing it with all of us. Kudos to her.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    GAH! so MANY liARS in this THREAD!

My cousin's BEST friend's sister's PROM date told me OP was RIGHT!

Women and ABS. *snort* More like ABS-urd AMIRITE?!?
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good intentions...bad results!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm way late to this party, but isn't the author of "So You Want A Nice Stomach" USMCMP? She has posted about her loose skin. You can have great abs AND loose skin. The skin tends to get tighter the longer you stay at a healthy weight, but it may or may not go completely away if you have it.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    So I just started this in March and although I don't have rock hard abs yet, I'm working on it! I've lost 40 pounds and I just started lifting so... I fully expect to get a decent stomach. I think anything is possible if you put in the work.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Late arrival, as well, but I've had three sons, and am fairly proud of my abs. No, they don't look like a 20 y/o's, but I'm a little past 20. Like by almost 30 years, LOL... :laugh:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    WTF?

No, seriously: WTF?
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My body isn't perfect but there are things about it that I admire. If I were to ever get a rock hard stomach I would shout it from the rooftops just like the original poster. She was just happy about her accomplishments and letting others know that it came be done. She didn't say you have to be a lazy SOB if you have kids and don't achieve this. This would be inappropriate because 2 people following the same plan aren't necessarily going to accomplish the same "look'. To consider another typical common body issue - you see some posters who loss a great deal of weight and maintain their skin elasticity and others do not. I don't think if someone posts a picture of them flexing their "new guns" they are trying to shame folks who may be considering tricep (flap) surgery. Saying because you (and others) were able to achieve a goal isn't the same as saying everyone can or even should.

No one should lift themselves up by putting others down. However, being "up" and sharing isn't in itself putting anyone down. Personally, if a woman posts pics of her hard guns and/or a flat stomach I may be a bit green with jealousy but I'm also thinking "you go girl" . I admire hard work and like to see people happy with their accomplishments. I think this is what most women (and men) on MFP are looking for.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    To give the OP the benefit of the doubt her intentions may have been good.

Sometimes we are subjected to unrealistic images of perfection which we are supposed to aspire to, which in reality, may not be practically achievable for many people although in theory it maybe. I guess women are disproportionately the target of such images (although men are being subjected to this more and more.)

It is true that pregnancy may cause a woman to permanently lose the elasticity of her skin around her stomach and little short of surgery can correct that. Therefore women feeling anxiety over what they cannot truly change is not a good thing. That is not a given however.

I guess a better focus would be rather than aspiring to achieve a certain look it is better to aspire to improve your health, happiness and well being within the practical limitations your life presents to you.

Live long and prosper my friends.