Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Options

Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Running will make your uterus fall out!!! It's a classic!

This would be epic. I'm totally done with the darned thing anyway.
  • FitRoberta
    FitRoberta Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My 21-year-old daughter was told by a "trainer" at our gym that "Because you're a girl, you should do lots of reps with light weights." I was livid when she told me about it! Luckily she knew he was completely ignorant and just laughed him off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh we just got religious up in here with jokes telling more about the jokesters than the jokes.

oh Lord.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes women huge.

Showed an example of that to my wife yesterday. A fitness model that works out at my gym was buying something at a store, and was in line behind us.

My wife was amazed when I told her that this woman behind us lifts heavier and with an intensity that I can't yet match.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It had more to do with the fact it's the ONLY word you've been drawing on.
    And I see nothing wrong with using TV to learn new words though- why begrudge someone from learning something new?
    PS: nice passive aggressive- I don't get my vocabulary from Family Guy- it's just next to them, you're the only one I know who uses that word SO much.

You were the one who was trying to be insulting by bringing up Family Guy. You don't get to whine about me responding to it. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't have gone there. It was your choice.
    My behavior isn't at question here honestly- you're making what's tantamount to a personal (this is the second one by the way you've made) attack on someone- that is NOT relevant to the discussion, so good job for completely side stepping the ACTUAL issue of dealing with people using the wrong words to properly explain a concept. Either you understand the concept or you do not.

And yes- as someone who is in a scientific field- It is/was relevant to the conversation.

1) No it wasn't. It was a complete logical fallacy - appeal to authority. I have my own credentials I bring to the table. The difference between us is that my argument isn't so weak that I felt the only way to bolster it was by bringing them up. Being an engineer means you took some science classes in college. So did a lot of people. Including me. You don't like having been called out on it. But it doesn't change the fact that you did it in the first place.

2) I didn't make any personal attacks. I responded to *your* statement. I said it was irrelevant. And this is what you regard as a personal attack? Really? You should really brush up on what the words mean if that's what you believe it to be.
    Actually- you haven't made ANY point- other than you don't understand how it's important to use the proper terms to explain concepts to people.
    You've done a great job at circumventing ANYTHING relevant to discussing why it's important (or not for your argument) and simple discussed that you think we are being petty.

Actually, *I* was the one who brought up the point. So the original point was mine to begin with. You responded with the intellectual equivalent of "nuh uh, because I'm an engineer and I say so." If that's what you regard as making a point or presenting an argument, then we truly are done here.

But thanks for trying!!!
    [/quote]
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    And I'm driven nuts by the people, who yell about science, proper science, citing the right places, calculating TDEE and all its components, shooting down anything and everything "alternative", but who fail totally to defend chemistry on high-school level (yeah, it isn't even taught on uni level). I'm a scientist and wouldn't dream of pushing this "yeah just call mass and density the same thing" message here, so I don't participate in the muscle/fat discussions anymore. It is as dense (pun very much intended) as to insist distance equals volume or time is the same as speed. Science is precise and in every other context that message is pushed here, but not when it comes to density. Pathetically hypocritical.

<snip>

You must be *loads* of fun at a cocktail party.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you......
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    actually that is very possible if they are still over eating or building muscle at the same rate as losing fat. 5lbs muscle is the same weight as 5lbs of fat. but I've seen to many use it as an excuse instead of what is actually happening.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You have to eat at a surplus to build muscle and you have to eat at a deficit to lose fat. If you're trying to lose, you might see strength gains as you're lifting but mostly you're burning the fat covering the muscle you do have so you can see it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I can't pick one because every person I know believes them all and you can't change their minds.

I once got in a serious argument with my bowling team (best friends, 2 nurses and a biologist) when I said meal timing doesn't matter. I showed them research that proved that breakfast doesn't jump-start your metabolism and the biologist said, "well that research is wrong". :explode: That same girl told me that I was gaining weight because I was lifting weights and that I needed cardio to burn fat.

Yes, this is a biologist.
  • Chrysalisobel
    Chrysalisobel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    "I don't want to lift, 'cos I don't want to have muscle . . . or get bulky"
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Running will make your uterus fall out!!! It's a classic!

apparently so does heavy lifting.

so what are we supposed to do exactly?

Put a cork in it I guess.

omg dying :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    And I'm driven nuts by the people, who yell about science, proper science, citing the right places, calculating TDEE and all its components, shooting down anything and everything "alternative", but who fail totally to defend chemistry on high-school level (yeah, it isn't even taught on uni level). I'm a scientist and wouldn't dream of pushing this "yeah just call mass and density the same thing" message here, so I don't participate in the muscle/fat discussions anymore. It is as dense (pun very much intended) as to insist distance equals volume or time is the same as speed. Science is precise and in every other context that message is pushed here, but not when it comes to density. Pathetically hypocritical.

I suppose you're equally as pedantic about people making the equivalance between mass and weight despite the fact that they are entirely different measurements? Because you just made that equivalance by using the terms interchangeably. (Because we were talking about weight, not mass.)

See how annoyingly pedantic it is to nitpick what someone says by vainly attempting to intellectually "one up" somebody by attempting to parse every single word they say?

Yeah. I understood what you meant. But that's not what you *said*. Should I now make hundreds of posts about how people think that mass and weight are the same thing? No. Because I'm not a pedantic jerk. Just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Thank you for making my point for me.

You must be *loads* of fun at a cocktail party.

I will avoid both you.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    If you're dieting and seeing the numbers going down, is it not true you are in fact losing both mass and weight? You lose mass from your body and subsequently your weight (mass times gravitational acceleration) also goes down...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    If you're dieting and seeing the numbers going down, is it not true you are in fact losing both mass and weight? You lose mass from your body and subsequently your weight (mass times gravitational acceleration) also goes down...
    they are proportional but they are not the same thing, weight depends on the gravitational pull of the celestial body you are on
    mass on earth = mass on mars
    weight on earth =/= weight on mars
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    How people think that the calorie burn number on their Polar FT4 is perfect. Runs off laughing. :flowerforyou:

Sorry .. I have found it to be at times very very very wrong. And that was doing simple walking. Gave mine away to my sister.

People need to understand that it cannot measure calorie burn at all .. it can only measure heart rate. The calorie burn is just some guys math calculation, just like on every other device. They are often wrong.

I have wondered about this one for a while. Because I started in very bad shape, I didn't have to work very hard to get my heart rate up. I was working hard for me, but someone in great shape might have to work way harder to get their heart rate up to the same level. So how could we be burning the same number of calories based on heart rate?
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lets say you take 2 people X and Y.

X says something snarky to Y and Y ignores them.
    - everybody thinks X is a jerk

Y says something snarky to X
    - everybody thinks Y is a jerk

X says something snarky to Y and Y replies with something snarky back
    - everybody thinks "what a couple of ****s"
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    they are proportional but they are not the same thing, weight depends on the gravitational pull of the celestial body you are on

Of course. But we can make a reasonable assumption that everyone on MFP is also on Earth. It's the trend.

And I think the point was that even on Mars, if you lose mass, you also lose weight, comparative to your previous weight also measured on Mars.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My ex-Mother In Law (who is a wonderful person) genuinely worried about my lungs freezing from running outside in cold weather. :laugh:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

Of course. But we can make a reasonable assumption that everyone on MFP is also on Earth. It's the trend.
    says you. i've been on the moon base since 2004
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    actually that is very possible if they are still over eating or building muscle at the same rate as losing fat. 5lbs muscle is the same weight as 5lbs of fat. but I've seen to many use it as an excuse instead of what is actually happening.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You have to eat at a surplus to build muscle and you have to eat at a deficit to lose fat. If you're trying to lose, you might see strength gains as you're lifting but mostly you're burning the fat covering the muscle you do have so you can see it.

You can do it if you are eating at the top of your maintenance range so that you are wobbling between over and under eating. I did it for 12 weeks, started and ended bang on the same weight and lost a pathetic 2.5 pounds of fat and gained 2.5 pounds of muscle (according to a hydrostatic assessment). During the 12 weeks, I went up a couple of pounds and then down a couple of pounds a couple times.

You can't do it if you are eating at a deficit, unless you are a newbie or extremely overweight.