How do you handle tantrums?

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Explain to your child BEFORE you leave home where you're going and what you're going to get - i.e. - 'We're going to the grocery store - ALL we are getting is healthy food for the week - NO toys, candy, or presents.'

Tell your daughter you KNOW she is a big girl, and she will behave herself on the trip.

If she has a melt-down - remind her of the trip - why you're there, what you're getting.

IF she continues - leave immediately - she gets a time-out at home.

My daughter had one melt-down in a Target when she was around 2 - I walked away from her.

I saw her get up - look around in disbelief - and run after me - no more tears.

Never happened again.
    [/quote

I love the Target meltdown and how you handled the situation.
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    They may not understand that you have it at home. With my daughter I would get down to her level, look her in the eye and so no. When I got home if we had what she was asking for I would show it to her and say "that's why I said no, this was here" think simple terms but it's definitely good teaching her. Sometimes I just looked people back in the eye. For every negative comment I seem to get four telling me I was doing the right thing by not giving it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My kids are older (3 & 6). I'll be honest my kids have never thrown temper tantrums for toys in the store (I'm not bragging, b/c they throw temper tantrums about other things). I always pulled the "yes, those are bubbles" and moved on. I was consistent about NOT buying toys.
    As the kids got older, I would tell the kids ahead of time that we weren't going to the store to buy toys. If we had to get a toy for a birthday party...I would say, "ok, we are going to the store to buy a present for your friend. You are not getting a toy, BUT you can look and find a present that you think your friend would like."
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Ah..I did think of something else. I did often allow my kids to bring one of their own toys into the store with them. Something small, cheap, and not super important if it was lost. This definitely kept them distracted from other things in the store.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My daughter was the one that was always throwing a fit in the stores. One day in Walmart she started her usual hijinks and I ended up "fake crying" to distract her (we were in the toilet paper aisle so no toys to be seen). She was SHOCKED, actually she was probably more confused than anything "Why the hell is mom acting like that?"

She did stop crying and ended up laughing.

After that, that's what I would do - I'd either do my "fake crying" or I'd make animal sounds - like a duck or a goat. Really anything to get her attention focused on something else.

Although, if it was too late to redirect her attention, it was a mad dash to check out.

My daughter's 12 now, but I still kinda miss those days where I had to park my cart in the middle of the aisle so she wouldn't grab stuff off the shelf and throw it in the basket. Awwww! <3 lol
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There's a thing called discipline and consequences...I would be giving you the evil eye as well parents need to parent and stop creating self entitled brats..
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    a child throwing a tantrum is NOT a brat. Toddlers and small children have no control on their emotions yet. Everything is a huge deal to them.

I distract and talk through. I've also been known to have a sucker in my bag just case. Furthermore, kids are loud, they cry, and they sometimes can be annoying, that's what kids do. Most people understand that. And the people that don't....well you'll never see them again anyways. If my 2 year old gets really bad I'll take him outside to calm down, but other than that, he is a kid.

Besides...grocery stores are hardly libraries....you need peace and quiet to shop? Gotta think that hard?

Restaurant tantrums are another story. ....Tantrum starts and i'm out of there....or I just nurse. Boobs are a cure all.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Having a son on the autism spectrum makes for some additional challenges in that some children (my son for example) have meltdowns when things don't go as expected.

Then things get interesting when people give rude looks, and sometimes it becomes hard to ignore, but I do my best.

This experience in parenting has taught me to reserve judgement of other people in situations where I don't have all the information. Unfortunately many people don't do that though.

As far as the OP is concerned, I think distraction would be one reasonable thing you could attempt.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Your baby is 1.5 years. It will get better. My 3 year old is almost a person. lol. When they are bad like that and so young just say NO and ignore tantrums. Stay calm. The little buggers are like predators if they smell fear.

For the people talking about discipline..it is really hard to discipline a one year old. They don't understand consequences yet unless they are super advanced.

Stay calm, be consistent, and like Nancy Reagan, Just say no.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've used the oops sorry its not on the list and continued on... You did good... said not today we already have them, finished quickly and left. It will get better as long as you don't give in. Some kids learn quickly and some take forever. Hang in there!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

For the people talking about discipline..it is really hard to discipline a one year old. They don't understand consequences yet unless they are super advanced.

^^^ this. And there is no reasoning with a toddler. On occasion you can get through to them, but it's hit or miss. As long as you're not completely ignoring your child then people tend to understand.

And screw the people that don't.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    First, I'm going to say I'm not a parent and never will be. Go ahead and attack me for that or ignore my comments if you want, but I'm going to give my 2 cents anyway since I would be the one giving you a death stare in the grocery store.

IF you ignore her tantrum, and do not give her what she wants, and you are visibly embarrased then the lesson she learns is that it might work next time if she tries harder (meaning throw a bigger tantrum). And hey, there is absolutely nothing to lose by throwing a tantrum.

What you should do: DO NOT IGNORE THE TANTRUM! Address it immediately with negative reinforcement. Punish her (different punishment will work for different kids, so no specific advice). Here is why: If she throws a tantrum and nothing bad happens, then it is worth a try next time. If she throws a tantrum and knows she will be punished, then she will weigh the punishment possibility with the possibility it might work next time. Be consistent with this, and she will eventually realize that tantrums never result in rewards and always result in punishment. It won't work overnight... give it a few months of consistency. I'll give less of a death stare next time if you are addressing her tantrum in this way, though.

2u4uj6g.gif

Death stare all you want, I'm the one having to wrangle a two year old.

You are the one who CHOSE to wrangle a two year old. Just as I have chosen not to. The difference is that I did not CHOOSE to have to listen to a screaming brat when I'm trying to shop. The OP is asking for advice on how to best control her child... that is actually admirable and unfortunately is very very very very very rare. I am very happy to see this in contrast to the typical "victim" mentality of parents (where one feels like they have been conned into HAVING to take care of kid), or the idea that one's child can do no wrong regardless of the obvious.

When I was a kid, we didn't do these types of things... if I tried to, I would have my butt spanked so fast... has parenting gotten harder, or are parents just trying less? The OP is trying, and I would have ignored the whole thread if not for that.

People are heckling you because you came off as an arrogant prick

But, I have 4 kids and I agree with you. If my kids act up, I spank them. So guess what? They don't act up very often and when they do I just tell them that they're about to get spanked and they straighten right up. It's not as hard as people make it out to be and a lot of parents are incredibly lazy and crappy kids because of it.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    a child throwing a tantrum is NOT a brat. Toddlers and small children have no control on their emotions yet. Everything is a huge deal to them.

I distract and talk through. I've also been known to have a sucker in my bag just case. Furthermore, kids are loud, they cry, and they sometimes can be annoying, that's what kids do. Most people understand that. And the people that don't....well you'll never see them again anyways. If my 2 year old gets really bad I'll take him outside to calm down, but other than that, he is a kid.

Besides...grocery stores are hardly libraries....you need peace and quiet to shop? Gotta think that hard?

Restaurant tantrums are another story. ....Tantrum starts and i'm out of there....or I just nurse. Boobs are a cure all.

^^^This,
    and anyone notice how the OP said she has a 18 month old? Do you remember the way you were behaving when you were that age? Probably not... they're not manipulative self entitled brats, they're children.
    Tantrums are NORMAL. Kids that age are not able to communicate with full sentences, which is why they cry... I'm fortunate enough to have a kid that doesn't freak out when we go out. But the rare occurrence that it does happen, I defuse the situation, because I have crap to do.

If being around kids at the store bothers you so much, go shopping at one in the morning. Pretty sure you won't hear any "screaming brats" then.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Birth control.
    Oh wait, I suppose a bit too late...

rolled up newspaper and a squirt bottle?
  • CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need to push your cart up to the front of the store with your toddler screaming in tow and tell them to please watch this I will be back once she is finished. Take her outside and tell her, I said we have bubbles at home and you can have them when you get there, but we are not going back in to the store until you are finished with your tantrum, and then just sit and wait her out. When she calms down just say are you okay now to go back in? We are not getting bubble as we already have some at home which you can have when we get there okay? If it starts again, repeat. After a few times of this NOT TAKING IT or GIVING IN, she will understand no means no, and the people in the store will respect you for being calm and taking her outside to finish up her crying or fit then coming back in when calm.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% against spanking, but I am 100% against spanking a 1 year old. That is still a baby and they won't understand. Besides, I would never spank for something a minor as a toddler throwing a tantrum. My 3 year old has been spanked twice. Both times because he endangered his life.

1 time by not listening and running out into the street. The other for not listening and opening my oven when it was on.

If you spank for everything it loses its importance. My parents spanked me and by 5 or 6 it was no longer a huge impact on my decisions to misbehave.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Start mocking the child. Everyone needs a healthy dose of mockery.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First, I'm going to say I'm not a parent and never will be. Go ahead and attack me for that or ignore my comments if you want, but I'm going to give my 2 cents anyway since I would be the one giving you a death stare in the grocery store.

IF you ignore her tantrum, and do not give her what she wants, and you are visibly embarrased then the lesson she learns is that it might work next time if she tries harder (meaning throw a bigger tantrum). And hey, there is absolutely nothing to lose by throwing a tantrum.

What you should do: DO NOT IGNORE THE TANTRUM! Address it immediately with negative reinforcement. Punish her (different punishment will work for different kids, so no specific advice). Here is why: If she throws a tantrum and nothing bad happens, then it is worth a try next time. If she throws a tantrum and knows she will be punished, then she will weigh the punishment possibility with the possibility it might work next time. Be consistent with this, and she will eventually realize that tantrums never result in rewards and always result in punishment. It won't work overnight... give it a few months of consistency. I'll give less of a death stare next time if you are addressing her tantrum in this way, though.

All children are different, so ignoring won't work for all children in all situations. But ignoring does work in many if not most situations; it worked for all three of my children (and worked quickly).

You are thinking not only as a non-parent, but also as an adult. Toddlers do not think the same way we do, they are just learning how to react to situations and frustrations. The only time I have seen a child respond by throwing a BIGGER tantrum was when the parents regularly gave in. If you give in to a tantrum, you are teaching them that tantrums work. If you do not give in next time, you have already taught them that screaming will work, so they scream more and louder.

If you ignore a tantrum, the child will not think, "Well, it didn't work before, so let's try again louder this time". They just learn that it doesn't work. Ignoring a tantrum teaches them that a tantrum will get them NOTHING. No toy, no bubbles, no attention, nothing.

Distraction, as others have mentioned, works as well, especially at younger ages.

Punishing kids in public is not cool. At this age it's probably not as big of a deal, but as they get older you're no longer just correcting bad behavior, you're humiliating them.

I'm standing by "ignore the tantrum, and quickly remove yourself from the public venue". Or distract her, as others have mentioned. And non-parents who have no experience raising kids shouldn't be allowed to tell parents how they should parent. :)
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    There's a thing called discipline and consequences...I would be giving you the evil eye as well parents need to parent and stop creating self entitled brats..

I guess I forgot that 18 month olds are old enough to be self entitled brats. LOL.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    *shrug* I'm not a parent.

The only thing I can offer is what my parents told me they did in those situations. I don't really remember that far back. They admit to spoiling me when I was 2 and they paid the price for it when I was 3. This is not to suggest the OP did anything wrong; it's just a little background as to why I might have thrown a tantrum at that age.

I'm told their solution was to just leave the store and let the tantrum run its course in a less public area, rather than placate me. And if that meant they had to go back at another point to get groceries because they left a cart behind, then that's what they did. They also kept a small stockpile of food reserved for those occasions.