Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Nope! I just spend those calories more wisely AKA not slamming a bunch of bro-lights, and instead getting a 6 pack of random craft beers and taking my time to enjoy it.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have... May 17th 2013. I wasn't/am not an alcoholic but I felt like I was drinking too much when I drank and also driving after drinking. I decided to stop cold turkey and haven't had a drink since. Almost 15 months so far... Don't really miss it and would rather eat my calories than drink them.

Good luck!

Mark
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Love the tea idea - will try that tonight!
    My husband and I quit because it seemed like it was getting to be a problem. When I went out of town and came home to find out he'd bought some and drank by himself while I was gone it really concerned me and when we talked about it he admitted it concerned him too. So we stopped. I have an app on my phone that keeps track of days sober and since I'm a nerd like that it helps me (I'm at 1370 for MFP so the counting thing helps me.)

The other thing for us was replacing the evening drink with something else. We now have a cup of tea or a glass of iced tea or some other non-alcoholic drink that isn't full of empty calories. I know I feel better physically and I definitely feel better about our future. My dad was an alcoholic and my husband's family has several addicts so both of us could easily fall into that trap. I like rum and coke but not enough to screw up my life over it.

Good luck on your journey and I think we've made a good decision in deciding enough was enough. :)
  • SoberAlley
    SoberAlley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've quit and feel much better than ever. I'm at day 34. Add me if you want sober friends!
  • harleyred2007
    Options
    YOU SOUND LIKE ME,I AM 59 AND QUIT DRINKING A WEEK AGO,ENROLLED IN A PROGRAM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE,I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I TRIED TO QUIT,IF YOUR A HEAVY DRINKER AT 38 YOU WILL HAVE MANY HEALTH ISSUES WHEN YOU REACH MY AGE.TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS,I STARTED DRINKING AT 16 BY THE TIME I HIT 40 I WAS DIVORCED WITH 4 KIDS,THE DRINKING ONLY GETS WORSE,YOU WILL DO THE BEST THING IN YOUR LIFE IF YOU CAN QUIT NOW BEFORE ITS TO LATE,GOOD LUCK,AL.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    No, no, a thousand times no. But do whatever works for you.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking about five weeks ago. It has really helped me stay more on top of my nutrition and fitness goals.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've done it nearly ever Sunday morning for 20 years
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Pretty much I gave up when I was 19. I'm almost 25 now, and yeah I just don't think I need it to have a good time. I also didn't like the person I was becoming with it. I may have a drink about 1-2 times a year at social things, but this year I haven't. I think I'm better off in health, safety, and financial aspects...I also don't mind driving my friends home so I know that everyone is okay, and I get to go to sleep in my own bed.