Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I too completed my Week 5, workout 3 this morning! Jog for 2 miles or 20 mins without stopping. Plotted out a 2 mile circular route from the hotel front door and completed it in 18mins 40 secs!!! Happy days!!!

Really never liked jogging/running (without a ball at my feet) but have to admit to getting more into it workout by workout. Have signed up for Park Run and will try my first 5K during week 8 or 9 of the programme.

That's a fast time! I've been eyeing up the local Park Run and following their newsletter, for when I think I'm ready. I think I'll leave it a bit longer than the last week of the programme though, as I'm slower than you. I'm going to move on to the 10k app for a while first, and increase my distance first.
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday, looks like a great program that's actually doable! :bigsmile:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

As a grad of the program, I just want to reiterate that you should repeat a week if you don't feel comfortable moving on. I had a few weeks that I did three times, but eventually I was able to conquer it. Keep up the good work!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is in Oct. I am on Week 6 and I cant imagine that I will be ready. I can walk/jog 5K in 40 minutes but I want to jog the whole thing in less than 20. I really hope I can make it.
  • danifarias
    Options
    Just did W1 day 2. Felt way worse than the 1st day at the start, was about to give up; dunno if it was because I was tired from work and before dinner, whatever. The stupid windows phone app also paused whenever i played music, grrr! After I finally gave up on the music and just kept a really low rythym, i managed to do the whole thing. Did an extra minute of running to make up for the time i wasted kinda walking kinda making the app work.

Will definately have to repeat week 1, how embarassing. :D I don't really care as long as it works in the end.

(ah, my sore legs/hips weren't a problem after the warm up, great. :) )
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great job sticking with it and not quitting! Call me crazy but you will get to the point where you look forward to your runs!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Great job sticking with it and not quitting! Call me crazy but you will get to the point where you look forward to your runs!

She's not wrong, after 11 weeks I get cranky without a run. 11 weeks ago I thought running was just a fast way to screw up your knees. :laugh: It may still be but the endorphins are good on the way there.
  • elpidamaria
    elpidamaria Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I want to start tomorrow.. Can I do it on the treadmill or I have to be outside?
  • stmadoesboy
    stmadoesboy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too completed my Week 5, workout 3 this morning! Jog for 2 miles or 20 mins without stopping. Plotted out a 2 mile circular route from the hotel front door and completed it in 18mins 40 secs!!! Happy days!!!

Really never liked jogging/running (without a ball at my feet) but have to admit to getting more into it workout by workout. Have signed up for Park Run and will try my first 5K during week 8 or 9 of the programme.

That's a fast time! I've been eyeing up the local Park Run and following their newsletter, for when I think I'm ready. I think I'll leave it a bit longer than the last week of the programme though, as I'm slower than you. I'm going to move on to the 10k app for a while first, and increase my distance first.

Looking forward to Park Run now that I got through the wk 5 day 3 section - that was looking like quite an obstacle. Park Run should be good and I'm led to believe that times are not that important - it's the social side that appeals to many. Only reason I'm leaving it to week 8/9 is that I'm not keen to attempt it while I'm still scheduled to stop and walk/jog as part of the programme and I think I may get close to completing the distance in the times (28mins and 30 mins) in the last 2 weeks.

Like you, I think I'll have to add a bit of distance to my runs after the programme too - seems to be the done thing - not sure I'm ready for the 10K App but best of luck with that!
  • mrsdjordan
    Options
    Total newbie here, haven't run for 12 years! I do lots of walking and have restarted my body weight strength excersise (been on hold since december due to 3 back to back miscarriages in 8 months)

Started c25k week 1 on Tuesday after having a moment of madness running like crazy on Sunday and nearly doing myself in lol!
    Looking to lose the 5kg of flabby fat I've put on this year and trim my core back down to last years dimensions with my body weight stuff. :)

Ps. Actually found today's 'run' enjoyable.. Looking forward to pushing myself a bit more in the coming weeks!
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is W6D3- I have a 22 minute run to complete. I'm going to try really hard to make it a 27 minute run! Have good workouts tomorrow everyone!

22 minutes, this terrifies me. just started week 4. W4D1 was pretty tough.
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I want to start tomorrow.. Can I do it on the treadmill or I have to be outside?

Yes I would like to know this too. I heard someone say that you should add an incline if using a treadmill. I was able to for 5 minutes on the treadmill before I started but the first day on C25K outside was a killer in comparison.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I would always recommend outside (because I hate treadmill) but it can be done indoors. It will just require you changeling the apples as you go. I believe if you set the incline to 1% it mimics outdoor conditions.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is in Oct. I am on Week 6 and I cant imagine that I will be ready. I can walk/jog 5K in 40 minutes but I want to jog the whole thing in less than 20. I really hope I can make it.

I think you may be setting yourself up for a goal that is not realistic. I think by the end of your timeline, you will definitely be able to run a 5k though!
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Yes I would like to know this too. I heard someone say that you should add an incline if using a treadmill. I was able to for 5 minutes on the treadmill before I started but the first day on C25K outside was a killer in comparison.

Do it wherever you like! I run outside but then I'm running to or from work so I have a goal to get there. Some people hate the treadmill, others swear by it. Whatever is best for you - it will still get you on your feet and exercising which can only be good :)
  • oofdieblunk
    Options
    Tomorrow is W6D3- I have a 22 minute run to complete. I'm going to try really hard to make it a 27 minute run! Have good workouts tomorrow everyone!

22 minutes, this terrifies me. just started week 4. W4D1 was pretty tough.
    no need to be scared! You will be amazed how you can keep going once you are in a groove!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^
    You have already done 20 minutes, in reality you are running the last minute of the warmup and the 1st minute of the cool down of a run you have done before. What's to be scared of.

I have every faith that you will breeze through it. Good luck and let us know how it went.
  • oofdieblunk
    Options
    W7D1 starts tomorrow! I've been looking forward to this all week!
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday and while it wasn't easy, it was kinda fun. I'm a little sore (mostly in my abs - bonus). W1D2 tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.
  • danifarias
    Options
    W1D3. Was supposed to do yesterday, but came dead tired from work and gave up. Today I brought my shoes to work so I had no excuse! It rained but i went anyway...also, I work near a beaaaautiful park, so it was nice.
    Went way better than last time! I felt extremely tired, but not gasping for air after the running parts, just breathing heavily. Did 2 extra running intervals at the end just to complete the lap around the lake.
    Will repeat W1 till I actually manage to feel a bit better after the running part. I felt an improvement, so I'm feeling good. :)