Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• JoJoLtd
    JoJoLtd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working with Hugh on Pan and know his trainer well.
    He's a natty and in person looks way less bulky than on the big screen which is notorious for adding weight to appearance.

Well, that's definitely a better connection than the rest of us have.....but would the trainer really tell you if he was using?

I'm sure he wouldn't...I'm just guessing that on his current regime with current trainer that he isn't.

I assume youre saying they are putting in serious work? I don't think anyone is questioning his work ethic - I don't think you make it to where he is without serious determination.

Hey, so who are you body-doubling for?

Yes, he trains hard and his current build suggests natural - but I'm no expert!

I'm working with Rooney Mara on this one.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    400 sounds pretty normal for a guy with his history and mass. I'd be surprised if he couldnt do 500+. I'm pretty sure he could.

He's been deadlifting for maxes for years, I've seen pics of DL maxes for a long time now. A guy with his experience and size should have no problem hitting 455+ for 1 rep.

I would also be surpised if he was natural. This is Hollywood. Expecting a paid performer to be natural is like expecting a Tour de France top 20 rider to be drug free.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    He's a natty and in person looks way less bulky than on the big screen which is notorious for adding weight to appearance.

Yeah, because I'm sure he and his trainer would tell the whole world about HGH usage and testosterone therapy.

Go talk to any of the celebrity trainers in hollywood. Their clients all use gh.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Straps assist in deadlifts, some consider it cheating, but then again some consider bench shirts as being perfectly acceptable.
    Lol, that's so true. Why do lifting organization recognize bench shirt use as legitimately a "raw" lift? What's even funnier is watching some of the guys that use it needing help to grasp the bar before benching.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You need to go do some research on powerlifting before making such ridiculous claims. There are exactly zero powerlifting federations that recognize a shirted bench press as raw. Bench shirts are in the equipped division, period, and even then straps aren't allowed on the deadlift. I'm not an equipped lifter, I compete raw, but I would challenge you to get under the amount of weight they do; even in a multiply shirt. If you haven't done it then keep your mouth shut because you don't know what you're talking about.

P.S. Most of those shirted bench pressers would out-lift you raw without breaking a sweat.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    ZoeLifts........Zoe THANKS! After I woke up from my trance, I had to be polite....:love:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Sorry not buying it. In "Les Miserables" (right before filming Wolverine) he was 25lbs lighter and didn't have long to train for his next Wolverine stint. Putting on that much "lean muscle" with hardly any fat at all isn't going to happen in that short a time without some enhancement. Also Jackman's former trainer before this one (Mike Ryan) used to help run Gold's Gym in Venice which was notorious for steroid use with celebrities and body builders. Jackman also consulted with Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and if anyone thinks the Rock is a natty............................

Not hating on Jackman. I love the guy. I could care less if he got bigger with enhancement. IMO, the dude looks phenomenal right now.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Straps assist in deadlifts, some consider it cheating, but then again some consider bench shirts as being perfectly acceptable.
    Lol, that's so true. Why do lifting organization recognize bench shirt use as legitimately a "raw" lift? What's even funnier is watching some of the guys that use it needing help to grasp the bar before benching.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

You need to go do some research on powerlifting before making such ridiculous claims. There are exactly zero powerlifting federations that recognize a shirted bench press as raw. Bench shirts are in the equipped division, period, and even then straps aren't allowed on the deadlift. I'm not an equipped lifter, I compete raw, but I would challenge you to get under the amount of weight they do; even in a multiply shirt. If you haven't done it then keep your mouth shut because you don't know what you're talking about.

P.S. Most of those shirted bench pressers would out-lift you raw without breaking a sweat.
    Whoa now. I'm not dissing "raw" lifters. It's the other way around. I'm giving them props. I think you misunderstand my post. My point was why are shirted benching lifts considered legit, while if someone used straps on a deadlift not legit? If powerlifting or Olympic lifting organization want to be consistent, then everyone should lift raw (with the exception of belts). I've been to several meets and mentioned it's sometimes comical that shirts are so tight, guys can even lift up their arms to grab the bar.
    So kudos to all "raw" lifters. I think they represent power and strength much more legitimately than those who compete with shirts and suits.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Zoe...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Just doing my job, Sara!!! :wink: :wink:
    This thread got much better!!! THANKS!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Whoa now. I'm not dissing "raw" lifters. It's the other way around. I'm giving them props. I think you misunderstand my post. My point was why are shirted benching lifts considered legit, while if someone used straps on a deadlift not legit? If powerlifting or Olympic lifting organization want to be consistent, then everyone should lift raw (with the exception of belts). I've been to several meets and mentioned it's sometimes comical that shirts are so tight, guys can even lift up their arms to grab the bar.
    So kudos to all "raw" lifters. I think they represent power and strength much more legitimately than those who compete with shirts and suits.

IDEA Fitness member

Benching in a shirt is no less "legit" than benching raw. The numbers are inflated but that doesn't make the lifts garbage, just different. Just because you're in a squat suit doesn't make the 900 lbs on your back feel any lighter! Straps are considered cheating because they aren't even allowed in geared lifting. Besides, the ppl on mfp aren't strong enough that their grip should hold them back at all. Grip shouldn't become an issue until you are nearing a double bodyweight pull or more. To use straps when you have a weak pull already is just lazy. That's what chalk is for.
  • JoJoLtd
    JoJoLtd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry not buying it. In "Les Miserables" (right before filming Wolverine) he was 25lbs lighter and didn't have long to train for his next Wolverine stint. Putting on that much "lean muscle" with hardly any fat at all isn't going to happen in that short a time without some enhancement. Also Jackman's former trainer before this one (Mike Ryan) used to help run Gold's Gym in Venice which was notorious for steroid use with celebrities and body builders. Jackman also consulted with Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and if anyone thinks the Rock is a natty............................

Not hating on Jackman. I love the guy. I could care less if he got bigger with enhancement. IMO, the dude looks phenomenal right now.

IDEA Fitness member

I wasn't selling it! I have no comment on his past trainers/use of enhancements, I couldn't care less either...currently he's not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, "Natty" now makes sense.
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.

Don't they count on the platform for competition?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.

You cannot use straps in PL meets, even in the equipped divisions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Okay- i just seem to remember seeing them on the platform somewhere- but I shouldn't be allowed to post pre-coffee- I'm just NOT okay without coffee.

But then- no-I. concur! it doesn't count with straps LOL.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

LOL! Well since I'm not in high school anymore I don't make it a point to go around boasting about how much I can lift (even in high school it didn't impress anyone anyways).

If your so hardcore and you want to let one small muscle group dictate how much a very large muscle group gets trained, be my guest, I don't care one way or the other.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

LOL! Well since I'm not in high school anymore I don't make it a point to go around boasting about how much I can lift (even in high school it didn't impress anyone anyways).

If your so hardcore and you want to let one small muscle group dictate how much a very large muscle group gets trained, be my guest, I don't care one way or the other.

Given she's a competitive powerlifter, who I believe holds state records at the very least, she's pretty hardcore.

Grip strength is important for plenty of lifts, and not hard to train, so why not just suck it up and improve it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What on earth are you on about?? Issues much?

She asked a question, I responded. I made no comment about anything about me or even my thoughts on straps.

Question: can't you use them on the platform for competitions

Answer: no

^^totes trying to make out I am hardcore or commenting on their usefulness or anything else your mind seems to be inferring.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay- i just seem to remember seeing them on the platform somewhere- but I shouldn't be allowed to post pre-coffee- I'm just NOT okay without coffee.

But then- no-I. concur! it doesn't count with straps LOL.

Could be strongman. I think they allow them (not my area so i could be wrong).

Hopefully *this* comment will not be construed by some people to be trying to make out I am hardcore lol.:tongue:
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    He's absolutely natty. The guy doesn't have a six pack. You know a guy is using roids when he is massive AND he is shredded (i.e. body builders). That's a great accomplishment for any age and it is very attainable for people who don't use steroids.
    Well I guess im done on MFP for the day, no one can possibly say something more retarded than this.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    A deadlift with straps is not a deadlift. It is a deadlift with straps.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hugh Jackman can come and deadlift me if he likes!!

My thoughts exactly! :laugh: