eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast, Cream Cheese, Salsa

Eats on Chips!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Can of chicken broth
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts (drizzle EVOO over them)
    Lemon with juices
    Garlic and pepper
    Shallots
    Fresh basil leaves

Put all in the crock ending with basil.....so good!

(that is more than 5 but it's good!) :)
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    This is more of a technique than a recipe, but I like to make chicken, baked potatoes and gravy in the crock pot. You need a fairly large crock pot (4 quart or larger) for this technique, but it's an easy way to make a good dinner!

Ingredients:
    skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces (can be frozen. seriously.)
    medium sized russet potatoes
    seasoning salt (I like Badia brand, no MSG) or other desired seasonings
    corn starch

Season your chicken parts and place in the bottom/center of the crock pot. Scrub potatoes, wrap each one in foil, and place around the outer edge of the crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours (6 hours if using frozen chicken); if cooking all day, cook on low. When you're ready to serve, remove the foil-wrapped potatoes and chicken, and drain the accumulated liquid into a jar. Add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the jar and screw the lid back on. Wrap a kitchen towel around the jar and shake well. Instant gravy! Taste your gravy and add salt and pepper if needed. I like to use the chicken gravy on the potatoes instead of butter or other toppings -- it keeps the calories down and is delicious.

I often cook chicken in the crock pot -- I don't add any liquid, I just season the chicken. The chicken itself will give off a lot of liquid, and I NEVER throw this out. If I don't use it to make gravy, I'll pour it into a container and refrigerate it. The fat rises to the top and can be removed, and then the remaining stuff is essentially concentrated chicken broth and can be used to make soup. It freezes well.

Bumping for later
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have recipes for the crock pot that require ground beef? Healthy recipes would be a plus. :)
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump for later cause Fall is coming!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    chuck roast, cream of mushroom, onion soup mix, brown gravy mix, diced onions let cook for 6-8 hours serve over rice or noodles

29509743.png
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    1 lb Chicken
    Taco seasoning packet
    Chicken broth (to cover chicken, or so)
    Scoop or more of salsa (depends on your taste buds)

Cook for 5 hours on Low. Serve in taco form, as a salad, on its own, whatever. I seriously find myself eating it plain as a snack. It's amazing.

Also, more complicated but so worth it:

Chuck roast with olive oil, salt, and pepper, browned (can be floured or seasoned with herbs if you like)
    Onions, browned with minced garlic
    Carrots (I use baby)
    Red or white potatoes (skin on, or skin off if you use russets)
    Au jus concentrate (Dilute with water) or beef broth depending on your salt preferences

Optional: I deglaze the pan after browning the roast and onions with red wine and put about a cup in the roast.

Cook for 8 hours on low. It will fall apart and make your house smell like absolute heaven.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have recipes for the crock pot that require ground beef? Healthy recipes would be a plus. :)

I don't know what your definition of healthy is... but chili is always a good one, and personally I like this better than chili.

Taco Stew
    Ingredients

1 Pound Ground beef, browned and drained
    15 Ounces Pinto Beans, drained
    15 Ounces Ranch Style Beans, drained
    10 Ounces Rotel
    14.5 Ounces Diced Tomatoes
    1 1/2 Cups Corn
    1 Package Taco Seasoning
    1 Package Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix

Directions
    Step One
    Brown and drain meat.

Step Two
    Combine all ingredients.

Step Three
    Cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 6+ Hours.

Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips or fritos scoops.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Here's another one that I found on the Crockin Girls website - which I think is a great resource for recipes as they have it divided into different classifications - by appetizer/main/dessert, by protein, healthy, long cook time, etc.

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/

This one sounds really good but with only a 1.5 hour cook time, isn't really helpful for what I use a slow cooker for:

Cheeseburger Pie
    Ingredients

1 Pound ground beef
    1 Whole large onion
    1/2 Teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
    1 dash worcestehire sauce
    1 Cup shredded cheese
    1 Cup milk
    1/2 Cup bisquick or jiffy mix
    2 eggs

Directions
    Step One
    Brown ground beef in a skillit. Add onion, garlic powder, and worcestehire sauce.

Step Two
    Put ground beef in crockpot. cook on low about 3 hours.

Step Three
    After 3 hours add the cup of shredded cheese

Step Four
    Mix together the bisquick/jiffy mix, eggs and milk, pour mixture over the meat and cheese.

Step Five
    Place a dish towel on top on the crock before placing the lid on to avoid sogginess.

Step Six
    Cook on high for about an hour to an hour and a half until cooked through and enjoy :)
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing I do in the crock pot is .. 3 chicken breasts. 1 Jar Hot Salsa.

Cook low +/-8 hours or high +/-6 hours

Shred the chicken, and mix with the cooking liquid.

This is great for tacos, nachos, burritos ..

I recommend HOT salsa, as most of the spice cooks out. Medium Salsa will leave this rather flavorless ...

I do this, but add one can of black beans, and 1 or 2 cups of frozen corn on top of the other ingredients in cooker. We serve it over rice. YUM!
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In for recipes :)
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here! Thanks!!!
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    In for some ideas ...
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    With fall/winter around the corner, I'm interested as well.

The last thing I made in the crockpot (this past weekend) was just venison covered with frozen mixed vegetables, with enough water to cover the vegetables. I'm not creative, I know, but the moisture made the venison tender

I would love to see more simple chili or chicken recipes. It would be nice to pretend that I can put a corned beef brisket in the crock pot with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes for St. Patrick's day (or just a weekend at home in the winter), but I know from experience that there is never space in a crockpot for all of that.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have the crock pot fix it and forget it cookbook, it's awesome. But I think I'll save all these yummy ideas for later, fall is right around the corner