Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• alcooper929
    alcooper929 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My younger sister is also really bothered by chewing noises. We had a power outage one day so it was completely silent in the room and my mom and I were eating Cap'n crunch cereal and she started screaming at us that we were disgusting and she couldn't stand listening to us.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    People who yell FREE BIRD anytime there is a live band. A close second is when the band actully plays Free Bird.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    People that think Darrius Rucker is Hootie

Let's go back further to people who think Jethro Tull was the lead singer in a band:grumble:

And by the way, which one is Pink?

Well she really does go by the name Pink

Unless you are talking about Pink Floyd

Yes.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pinkfloyd/haveacigar.html
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    The sound of people chewing food

Yes. I fricken hate potato chip commercials and the Kit Kat commercials where they are all crunching and saying "mmm" to the Kit Kat song. :explode:

That brings me to another pet peeve - commercials. Seeing the same commercials over and over with the same annoying music and antics.
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We all have little things thst drive us batsh*t crazy, right. What are some things you detest?

I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi. I was raised by an English teacher, so I tend to correct others when they aren't grammatically correct (it's a sickness. I know). One of the things that makes me want to scream is:

I could care less

COULD? Could means that there's a possibility that your level of concern is elevated above zero. Therefore, it's possible for you to care less. The correct phraseology is :

I COULDN'T care less.
    COULDN'T means that it is impossible for you to have any less concern than you have currently. Zero fks given, if you will.

Am I just a sicko, or are there other nit-pickers afoot?

I grew up the same way..and do the same thing...

-specific ocean v. pacific
    -irregardless
    -to v. too
    -they're, their & there
    -me and him v. he and I

-pee on toilets, especially in a women's only bathroom (at least clean up after yourself)
    -when you see me walking my dog, and you know your dog will lunge, cross the street!
    -*kitten* bosses
    -people who don't take care of their animals! Dogs aren't meant to be tied up outside all day, if you don't have time then don't get one!

I'll stop but the list could go on.....
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    People with oddly specific grammatical pet peeves who think they're ~*special snowflakes*~ for policing everyday interactions drive me batty. Seriously. I get it; I do my best with the English language. I use "Johnny and me" and "Johnny and I" correctly, I don't use the word "irregardless", I know my their/they're/there differences. But flipping a lid because someone on a message board used the wrong spelling of a word is so tacky and pointless.

The only time I point out someone else's grammatical mistakes is when they're being a **** about grammar, but making mistakes anyway.

My pet peeve is with people who get annoyed with people with specific grammatical pet peeves who are annoyed with people who misuse grammar.

So, there!

Oh yeah? Mine is pedantism! *sticks tongue out*

Pedantry.

:laugh:

Part of me wants to point you to the dictionary definition of pedantism I looked up to verify before posting. However, unfortunately for me, people who copy and paste dictionary definitions, pronunciation, part of speech and all, are also high on my list of pet peeves... I have really painted myself into a corner here, haha.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Everything about my job.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    What about this: "they would straggle home in ones and twos". That is acceptable. Or should it be "They would straggle home in singles and doubles""?

Good example, and I don't have an answer.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    People with oddly specific grammatical pet peeves who think they're ~*special snowflakes*~ for policing everyday interactions drive me batty. Seriously. I get it; I do my best with the English language. I use "Johnny and me" and "Johnny and I" correctly, I don't use the word "irregardless", I know my their/they're/there differences. But flipping a lid because someone on a message board used the wrong spelling of a word is so tacky and pointless.

The only time I point out someone else's grammatical mistakes is when they're being a **** about grammar, but making mistakes anyway.

My pet peeve is with people who get annoyed with people with specific grammatical pet peeves who are annoyed with people who misuse grammar.

So, there!

Pedantry.

Part of me wants to point you to the dictionary definition of pedantism I looked up to verify before posting. However, unfortunately for me, people who copy and paste dictionary definitions, pronunciation, part of speech and all, are also high on my list of pet peeves... I have really painted myself into a corner here, haha.

Another of my pet peeves is really long quote chains.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    People who won't get off their cell phones when checking out at the store.

People who talk on two phones at once (i.e., house phone and cell).
    People who ask ME to hold right away, when they called ME.
    People who don't acknowledge a greeting.
    Store clerks that are completely silent during the transaction, except to tell you the price. I don't need to have an in-depth convo with you, but a greeting and a thank you would be nice.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options

People who ask ME to hold right away, when they called ME.

i would just hang up :p
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My hubby's is not pronouncing his with a h sound.
  • DarkStarBurning
    DarkStarBurning Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hoards of mothers with buggies who chose the narrow school hallways to stop and have a long chat at home time when everyone is trying to collect their offspring from class.

Ugh, I can feel my blood boil just typing it out.
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    People who "hashtag" everything.

And while we're at it, # is the flipping number sign or the pound sign! I can just see the confusion on kids faces when they come across a sign that says "We're #1!"

I'm old. It was always a pound or number sign when I was growing up. Why did they change it to "hashtag"? Irritating.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Smartphones and stupid people .. that's it. Often seen together. :noway:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

So, there!

Pedantry.

Me too.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    people

jNGKIiB.jpg?1

edited for elaboration
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    people who chew with their mouth open...animals
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

So, there!

Pedantry.

Me too.

I hate hourglasses with wide middles.
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    -Using "itch" as an action verb ("I itched my leg."). I know it's an informal way to use the word, but I hate it.
    -Using apostrophes incorrectly
    -The text reply of "K" -- what's the point of replying?
    -Using quotation marks for things that don't need it (I was at a festival recently. A sign said, "Cheese curds & 'ranch'" which led me to believe the "ranch" wasn't real ranch)