Dumb things heard at the gym

Options

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Worst thing I have heard is while running on the treadmill a male told me he had another cardio exercise I could do with him and gave me a wink.

Haha I would have laughed and said "ah but sweetie what am I going to do for the other 55 minutes?" lol
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not a gym thing, but my coworker is basically starving herself to lose 50 lbs. She says she's on the keto diet and admittedly, I don't know much about it, but I doubt it's supposed to be as painful as it seems to be for her.

I guess that's not so much dumb as it is misinformed/misguided.

I used to work with a girl that was convinced that the more that you sweat means the more weight that you lose. Her theory was that sweating = hot. hot = melting. sweating + hot + melting = fat melting from your body. She told us she didn't exercise she just laid in a lawn chair in the sun bc it made her sweat a lot so she knew she was losing fat.

If only it was that easy! Since moving to Hawaii I'd probably be 0% body fat if that were the way it worked!

I heard a girl telling to one next to her that she always wears jacket, pullover, long sleeve shirt, T-shirt and maybe something else when she is running. This way she is sweating more = fat melting. She told other girl "you really have to try this, it works like magic". Since both were skinny it maybe does work :noway:

P.s.: it was summer when I heard them talking :)
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I try to out grunt the guys to assert my dominance.

wait- you mean we aren't supposed to pee on the near by machines and then hump near by strangers who seem to be encroaching on our space.
    I accidentally broke a guy's leg that way once.

I do what I gotta do to make sure Bros don't try to play cutsies for the squat rack. I've nearly perfected my roadhouse kicks for these moments.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    "I will not squat to parallel it's really bad for the knees"

"I want my abs to show (you should try counting calories) pffft, counting calories is for females"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Worst thing I have heard is while running on the treadmill a male told me he had another cardio exercise I could do with him and gave me a wink.
    Did he ask you if you are an archeologist?
    LMFAO!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don't go anywhere without make up - even the gym
    I don't wear makeup anyway, other than nail polish (weak nails),

LOL Other than nail polish? nail polish isn't make up.
    but why would someone want their pores blocked when they know they're going to be getting hot & sweaty,
    make up =/= full blown face make up.
    mascra = make up
    lip stick = make up
    eye liner = make up

and none of those things are going to eff up your pores.
    plus why would someone want to have makeup running when they sweat,
    1.) some people don't natural sweat much
    2.) some people actually know how to properly apply their make up and their make up doesn't run.
    plus why would someone want to have makeup wiped off (probably unevenly) when they wipe off sweat?
    because they don't use man paws to wipe their faces
    Not everyone doesn't care what they look like
    I look just fine the way I am.
    are you implying that people who wear make up think they are NOT fine the way they are??
    My skin is clear, color is good, eyelashes are fine, hair is fine, lips are fine...
    so's mine
    in short, I don't need to pretend.
    make up isn't always about pretending- it's also about enhancing and just feeling glamorous.
    I don't need to be painted, don't want to achieve someone else's idea of "beautiful" if it means compromising who I am.

at what point did throwing mascara and eye shadow on become compromise? I know who I am. WIthout question. And I'm fu*king fabulous. I'm not compromising anything- I'm quiet happy wearing make up and not "disowning myself"

Some people feel at home and most true to themselves painted up. And that is totally okay.
    people who cry about being sweaty with their raggedy pony tail and being a sweaty mess
    Heck, no! I'm happy that I'm a sweaty mess, tired, sore, etc. I worked hard to get there!
    that's great- but someone else wearing their make up doesn't bother you and you don't need to judge it- clearly you are. And that's great if you're proud of your sweaty mess... I am proud to look good and look fierce.

Two hours of Russian power lifting- nothing's sliding. Seriously- why does this bother ANYONE and think that I"m hiding myself or who I am or trying to make up for ANYTHING. Still looking fabulous!!!
    Not asking you to do it.
    But I am asking that people stop caring that I do.
    2014-07-04_135108_zpscf81d1b5.jpg

No but how do you *really* feel about it? :laugh:
    Just kiddin' :blushing:

For the record, this girl goes nowhere without her khol eyeliner, a bit of rouge & some gloss.
    That includes the gym and I look damn cute. It might disturb some to know that I also do my hair before I go anywhere.

This includes dog walking, running errands, going to the supermarket & the gym. I'm pretty sure I don't care what anyone thinks about it :bigsmile:

For me, I don't care if I wear make-up or not! But I have a huge lazy factor to me so it's impressive enough if I show up at the gym. I'm also too lazy to wear make-up or do my hair for my professional workplace. I only do it when I go out - haha. Just remember everyone feels different about make-up! Like... I might only be inclined to judge your makeup if 1) It looks super awesome and I want it or 2) you have blue eyeshadow up to your eyebrows with no other colour to even really make it a "look"... that always seems... weird to me.

The only thing I don't like is my mascara... I have water proof stuff but it seems to literally melt into my eyes and sting. Even when I'm not exercising.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Not heard, but seen. The other day a guy who never squats (I see him at the gym almost every time I go, he mostly uses the machines aside from bench) tossed 4 plates on the bar and did quarter squats with terrible, wobbly form. No warm up sets. He was looking around the whole time to see if anyone was paying attention.

I recently deloaded from 145 to 125 to work on my depth and form because I wasn't confident getting below parallel at 145x5x5. I was literally SMH watching him because I feel like my squats are worthless if I'm not hitting depth. What do you think you're accomplishing by basically just bending your knees a little with a bar on your back?
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also people putting on makeup before a workout.
    what's the matter, too beautiful?
    flirting.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No but how do you *really* feel about it? :laugh:
    Just kiddin' :blushing:

For the record, this girl goes nowhere without her khol eyeliner, a bit of rouge & some gloss.
    That includes the gym and I look damn cute. It might disturb some to know that I also do my hair before I go anywhere.

This includes dog walking, running errands, going to the supermarket & the gym. I'm pretty sure I don't care what anyone thinks about it :bigsmile:

baw ha ha ha ha- you should hear me in real life- it's a huge rant of mine- I rant about a lot of things just to rant- but make up is one I actually get pretty stiff in the collar about.

drag queens have the blue to the eyebrows thing going for them- so maybe I'll try it next time and take pictures for you all ;)

and yep- eyeliner is a must- I am with you there-
    step one- wash face-
    step two- bb cream
    step three- apply eyeliner!!!

LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options
    What do you think you're accomplishing by basically just bending your knees a little with a bar on your back?

there is a time and a place for that honestly- but it's not to be used regularly- and it's certainly not a full work out or a substitute for a workout.

I know even just loading up the bar- unracking it- and walking back in is a thing- once you start to get really heavy- adjusting to that weight load is a thing.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Do you actually see them putting the make up on before they go workout or do you see them in the gym with make up on? When I used to workout in the afternoon at the gym where I worked guess what? I wore make up! Why? Because I didn't see a need to take it off before I exercised.

I don't always wear make up. I never have. The only time I wore it all the time was when I was going through a bout of acne a while back and I wore make up because I was embarrassed. When I am going out on the weekend I will do a full face which is basically eyeliner, falsies, eye shadow, mascara, blush, lipstick. But I personally feel no need to wear it when I'm bumming around the house. Occasionally I'll put something on when I run errands but 99.9% of the time I don't.

ETA: Granted there are people I see at the gym who are completely done up -- hair, make up, the works -- but they are typically young teenage girls.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options

wait- you mean we aren't supposed to pee on the near by machines and then hump near by strangers who seem to be encroaching on our space.

My husband was teaching me form for squats and deadlifts (he knows what he's doing, not to worry), and he told me, "And when you're done, you drop the weights as loudly as you can, pound your chest, and yell like Tarzan because THAT'S WHAT REAL MEN DO." He was kidding, of course, but I couldn't stop laughing.

He missed the "piss on the rack and hump other gym goers" part, though, so now I'm questioning his methods.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Do you actually see them putting the make up on before they go workout or do you see them in the gym with make up on? When I used to workout in the afternoon at the gym where I worked guess what? I wore make up! Why? Because I didn't see a need to take it off before I exercised.

Agreed! Usually I workout after work with makeup on.

I sell Mary Kay. I love makeup. I love putting it on.

I can also go without and do not feel ashamed of my bare face.

What's really crappy is women bashing other women for something as trivial as choosing to wear makeup....at anytime.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    WOW
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup all the time, too. It's just what I do. I don't understand why it bothers people that OTHER women wear makeup to the gym?? I wear makeup when I play sand volleyball and it's 100 degrees out...my Diorshow doesn't budge.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Took my mom to they gym with me (is this starting to sound like a bad idea?) because she had been asking for a few weeks. Her goal is to lose fat and since she doesn't like to sweat, lift weights, or look "weird" I told her to do cardio first. She declined which then I took her through my day's weight/core sets. We get the free weights/benches area and she asks a guy, low BF% obviously works out seriously, lifting right next to me during the middle of his sets what she should do to lose weight. :noway: I was in the middle of my reps too or else I would have "nudged" her with my foot. He took it very well though and finished his set before answering her in which he asked her goals and such. She said to lose weight and not build big muscles in which he told her point-blankly that she was in the wrong area and to start with cardio then come back here. Basically what I told her before we started working out. I had finished my set by then and had stood up in which he remarked that I had a really good figure and he could tell that I lift :drinker: Yea!!! I told him that I do, but that I also do some cardio and that I suggested it to her, my mother, that she should do that first. She had also asked him to be her personal trainer... *face palms* In which he said that he didn't have enough time since he's a teacher and whatnot. Now ever time I see him at the gym he waves hey to me. It bothers me because I like anonymous at the gym. >.< However, in the end she was upset that the fit guy and I told her the exact same thing. She didn't ask to go to the gym with me again due to how upset she was at me/us. I want to tell her that there's no magic pill to make you lose fat. You lose fat by burning it. Burn baby, burn!!! :happy:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I wear makeup all the time, too. It's just what I do. I don't understand why it bothers people that OTHER women wear makeup to the gym?? I wear makeup when I play sand volleyball and it's 100 degrees out...my Diorshow doesn't budge.

that's because Diorshow is fabbbbbuuulloooouuuusssssss.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Can I oogle you?
  • JoRocka
    Options

My husband was teaching me form for squats and deadlifts (he knows what he's doing, not to worry), and he told me, "And when you're done, you drop the weights as loudly as you can, pound your chest, and yell like Tarzan because THAT'S WHAT REAL MEN DO." He was kidding, of course, but I couldn't stop laughing.

He missed the "piss on the rack and hump other gym goers" part, though, so now I'm questioning his methods.

clearly he doesn't know anything.

Just break up.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options

clearly he doesn't know anything.

Just break up.

I feel that Just Break Up is used so often here that it should just be shortened to JBU, and then we can all laugh at the new people who don't know what JBU means.