GMOs, arsenic, toxins

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Also, we've been modifying food for THOUSANDS of years

True, but not nearly to the extent that we have in the last fifty. Never before recent history have we modified plant dna so that it can withstand poisonous chemicals so we can spray the crap all over them and then ingest it ourselves. Also now making plants that produce their own toxins to ward off pests, can't wash off a toxin that's in the plant, but anyway...
    Not everyone can afford organic.

Is gardening an option for you? Even with just a 3-4 month growing season here, we get tons of vegetables from the garden for next to nothing, and it's the only way to control what's put into them. Definitely makes up for having to spend a little extra buying produce in the winter months. Just a suggestion.

Toxic to insects, bacteria, viruses, other plants, or even other animals is not necessarily toxic to humans. Fortunately.

I've not yet seen any toxicity trials that would cause me to get my knickers in a twist over the amount of Roundup (actually, Roundup breakdown products) that make it to the consumer.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be like plants and learn how to live off of rain water and sunlight. Problem solved

You actually can... it's called growing your own food. :)

You would defile the sanctity of a pure plant by consuming it? Nonsense. You stand out there like a beautiful sunflower

2uonwxj.gif
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be like plants and learn how to live off of rain water and sunlight. Problem solved

That's it, I'm going paleo.

But you got to go hard core. Teepee in yard, using two stones together to make fire for cooking. None of this space age electricity crap

Isn't a teepee kinda space age for paleo? Relatively speaking, I mean.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Also, we've been modifying food for THOUSANDS of years

True, but not nearly to the extent that we have in the last fifty. Never before recent history have we modified plant dna so that it can withstand poisonous chemicals so we can spray the crap all over them and then ingest it ourselves. Also now making plants that produce their own toxins to ward off pests, can't wash off a toxin that's in the plant, but anyway...
    Not everyone can afford organic.

Is gardening an option for you? Even with just a 3-4 month growing season here, we get tons of vegetables from the garden for next to nothing, and it's the only way to control what's put into them. Definitely makes up for having to spend a little extra buying produce in the winter months. Just a suggestion.

Toxic to insects, bacteria, viruses, other plants, or even other animals is not necessarily toxic to humans. Fortunately.

I've not yet seen any toxicity trials that would cause me to get my knickers in a twist over the amount of Roundup (actually, Roundup breakdown products) that make it to the consumer.

Yeah, save your breath. There aren't any.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

That's it, I'm going paleo.

But you got to go hard core. Teepee in yard, using two stones together to make fire for cooking. None of this space age electricity crap

Isn't a teepee kinda space age for paleo? Relatively speaking, I mean.

Depends on what it's made of, I suppose. If you buy one from ****'s, you're doing it wrong. ;P
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    While there isn't really any evidence that GMOs are hazardous, we also can't be 100% sure of their safety. Between those uncertainties and their effect on the environment, I try to buy organic produce where I can.

I think in the bigger picture, it's easy to see that the ways our food have changed over the last decades in general is not good for our health. Whether that's a result of the GMOs, additives, artificial flavors etc. is hard to say, but I'm of the "better safe than sorry" mindset currently.

Definitely not putting down anyone who has a different opinion on the matter, I think everyone should do some research and decide for themselves.

What evidence is there that organic food won't kill you?

There is uncertainty in everything in life. EVERYTHING!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    riddlepic.gif

Never understood why food with fewer chemicals, and less processing is more expensive.

That in no way indicates a scam to me.

I'll have my salad spliced with a side of fish dna please. (It leaves more money for frills.)
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fun fact:

2) Most of your non-GMO foods are only around 95% non-GMO.

Source: I am a grain export trader and I trade both types.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    There's a study on cucumbers and zucchini that shows that the pesticide chemicals that are on them are natural substances that the plants produce to ward off vermin and critters. There are quite a few vegetables that do this, but especially cucumbers and zucchini. So you're always going to ingest something "toxic". Thank goodness for kidneys and livers.

I'd link the study, but my toxicologist pal took the day off and I can't find it. :tongue:
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have no problem growing some veggies in my back yard, I have no problem reading labels on food I but, but I refuse to spend my life in a bubble. I eat fast food, I sometimes spend time outside in the sun without sun screen on, I listen to my radio to loud, I drink caffeine and eat sugar. I'm not going to miss out on living life, sorry
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    There are many toxic chemicals produced by nature.

But hey! Go gather mushrooms in the woods if you want. :flowerforyou:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree that organic/smaller produce tastes better, and I do enjoy it on occasion. But honestly, if you're looking to improve the quality of your diet, an apple is always going to be a better choice than a candy bar, whether its GMO or not. KWIM?

Besides. Pretty sure the world would starve without GMOs and modern farming processes.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Here is a study by the University of Florida that compares the toxicity of commonly consumed items to that of herbicides, including RoundUp.

"Table 1 demonstrates that herbicides often have higher LD50 values than many commonly used or consumed products. Why is this? Why are chemicals that are so effective on plant species not equally harmful to humans? The reason is two-fold. First, herbicides target highly specific biological or biochemical processes within plants, such as photosynthesis and production of branch-chain amino acids. However, mammals (humans included) do not photosynthesize or produce branch-chain amino acids. Therefore, herbicides that target photosynthesis or branch-chain amino acid production have no place to bind in our bodies and have very little impact."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pi170
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Find less opinionated friends
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have friends who act like I should be in jail because I do not feed my kids 100% organic. Apparently I’m slowly killing them with GMOs :explode:
    Choose better friends.

ETA: joffed.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is super crazy about that kind of thing too. When we have BBQ's she will bring her own food for her family to eat separately. She even grounded her daughter because she snuck a can of country time lemonade. It drives me up a wall! She's constantly posting propaganda on her facebook and patting herself on the back for eating healthier than everyone else. To each their own, but those that choose to eat organic aren't any better than myself who chooses to eat what I can afford.
    I live in Nebraska so farming is a big deal for us out here. When I do purchase organic it has nothing to do with believing that it is any better for me, and everything to do with supporting local farmers.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Find less opinionated friends

I like you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Good thing Alcohol kills off all the toxins and brings everything back into perfect balance.

ludgate-alcohol1.gif
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Good thing Alcohol kills off all the toxins and brings everything back into perfect balance.

ludgate-alcohol1.gif
    I have yet to meet a problem that alcohol can't fix. :drinker:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm much more worried about the environmental consequences of GMOS and pesticides then I am about any consequence they have on my body.
    Hey! I've been looking for a way to describe my opinion on GMOs for so long and you just summed it up perfectly.