New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options

Replies

• HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I started C25K last week, but I am so unfit and bad at running that I think I will do each week twice. That's my plan at the moment anyway.
    I didn't do all the running on the first day, but built up each day and ran all 9 minutes by the end of last week - a big achievement for me!
    I'll do week one again this week, hopefully it will be a bit easier then move on to week two from there.
    I'm running in the park early in the morning (it is summer here and perfect for getting moving early) so I have no idea of my pace except that is is slow!
    I hope you all enjoy it.
    Ruby

Ruby, I commend you on listening to your body and not pushing yourself too hard which can result in injury. Slow and steady wins the race. If you injur yourself you can't work out at all! Great job! I just repeated Day3 of Week 1 today hoping to prepare me for tomorrow's Week 2 Day 1, but I'm not sure I'm ready. I'll try it and if not, I'm repeating week 1 too. Great job!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all you newcomers. Please let us know how what you think of the program, if you find any tips or tricks along the way, and how you're doing each day you do a run. It'll also help to keep it in your "My Topics" section so you can be in the loop.

Today I repeated W1D3, but to push myself, I tried walking at 3.3 then alternating my runs between 5.1, 5.3 and 5.5 (going up then down then up between the three levels each run). It was a lot for me, but I made it. I"ll give W2D1 a try tomorrow (won't go over 5.0 for the runs). I think I'm phyching myself out over the extra 30 seconds of running. Anyone else find it a tough adjustment or am I just overthinking it?
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    HI everyone,

I too am doing C25K and just finished week one. I must tell you that I did this program last January and ran a 5k in May. I prefer the Running in to Shape podcasts because the music/songs are the original, not remakes. I started the first two days doing the intervals on the treadmill. Today I ran outside and I can really feel the difference....my knees and calf muscles are really tight. It really is a lot harder on your body running on pavement!

What really helped me last year was going ahead and researching 5Ks in my area and going ahead and committing by signing up/paying online and then telling friends and family my plans. It really held me accountable! I ran the race by myself at the crack of dawn and even beat the time I had set for myself by two minutes.

I must tell you however, that I HATE TO RUN, ha ha. If I had been a good girl all through the fall I would have made myself do a 10k this spring. I ended up taking a break from exercising and unfortunately not eating healthy for the last five months so I am making myself start over. I gained about 15lbs during that down time (stupid me right?). In the last few years I have lost about 50lbs by eating clean and working out daily. I would like to lose those last 20lbs or so for good!

I am new here so feel free to friend me for support and motivation.

Happy Running,
    Jules
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks HM, I am really good at starting things and spectacularly bad at maintaining them so I'm hoping having the program to follow will help and checking in here will be great too. Go for it everyone!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Started week two of C25K today, actually was easier today, lowered the speed that I was running at. Still challenging but I could actually breath!!!

Started with walking 3.5 and running at 5.1 and could not breath decreased running to 4.8 and still couldn't breath, so today decreased running to 4.5 and 4.6 and increased walking to 3.7. I know I wont win in medals for speed at this time but at least now I think will able to complete it without having a heart attack...:drinker:
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this group! I'm starting week 3 tomorrow & would love the extra motivation to finish the program :)

1. Week #: 3
    2. Day #: 1
    3. Walking Pace: 3-4 mi/hr
    4. Running Pace: 5-6 mi/hr

Here is my normal workout schedule for the week. I do the 5K training Sun, Tues, Fri.

Sun: 5K training / Strength Training
    Mon: Zumba
    Tues: 5K Training / Yoga
    Wed: Zumba
    Thurs: Strength Training
    Fri: 5k Training
    Sat: Free day or Yoga
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I'm phyching myself out over the extra 30 seconds of running. Anyone else find it a tough adjustment or am I just overthinking it?
    Try it and find out - what's the worst that could happen? :) For me, progressing and realising that I could actually do more than I thought I could gave me the confidence to have a pop at the harder runs, further through the program. Convincing myself that I could increase the amount of running the very first time was one of the hardest!

I started C25K again, last Wednesday. It was my first real "run" in my fivefingers and my calves are still angry at me - oops! I really enjoyed it though so I'm going to persevere, even if I need to loop week 1 a few times. And, hey, it was novel having something other than shortness of breath limiting me hehe.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this C25k forum! I just got my running shoes and bra so I am ready to go, a bit nervouse but I can do this. I was going to start last night but I got home to late after dinner so I'm going to definately start tonight. I have the app on my iphone, are you suppose to skip days or do it everyday? I'm a bit confused on that part. Thanks....sign me up!
    Denise
  • zydratethief
    Options
    This is awesome!!

Here are my stats so far :

1. Week 2
    2. Day 1
    3. Walking Pace (if you know from the treadmill) : 6.5 (incline 1.5)
    4. Running Pace (if you know from the treadmill) 9.5 (incline 1.5)

I know, im slow, but im working on it!!
  • SkinnyOat
    Options
    I think I'm phyching myself out over the extra 30 seconds of running. Anyone else find it a tough adjustment or am I just overthinking it?

Don't even think about it!!!! 30 seconds is the length of a crappy commercial. I'm sure you can do it. At the very worst, do half of the extra time. I'm sure if you shoot for the 15 seconds, you'll make it to the extra 30 before you even realize it.

And walking 6.5 with running at 9.5?! I've never even seen a treadmill go that high. Great job!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I am in week 1......
  • juneduneybug
    Options
    I'm doing this! I'll be on W1D3 next and I'm actually shocked at how much easier running has become since I started cycling... I didn't think the two went hand-in-hand at all.

Week: 1
    Day: 3
    Walking Pace: 3
    Running Pace: 5 - 6

I was really proud of myself, I ran at 6mph for 3 out of the 9 runs last night... and I didn't die! I'm thinking about starting it on an incline because it might help my back a little bit. I overpronate when I run so I just started wearing shoes with more support which is really weird for me and my body is still getting used to it.

My sister is doing this too and she is two weeks ahead of me. We're both training to run a 5k in October, and ultimately the Disney half marathon in January. I hope I can catch up to her! :)
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 2, Day 1.
    (6 - 1 1/2 minute runs with 2 min. walks inbetween).

I'm pleased to say that it went very well (granted I was jogging....can't seem to manage to run fast). While I was jogging I started to wonder what everyone listens to while they are doing their weekly jogs.

So....what is your favorite thing to listen to while jogging/running?? (I like pretty much anything by Franz Ferdinand just because it has a very quick tempo and gets me going a little faster)
  • ladycalledamy
    Options
    I'm starting today! Super excited.
  • SkinnyOat
    Options
    I love Franz Ferdinand, too. I put a lot of Beastie Boys (because it makes me laugh), Mumford and Sons, Animal Liberation Orchestra (the faster stuff), Sublime, Forest Sun, Reel Big Fish, Gorillaz, and MIA on my ipod. I am usually not into pop/club music, but I have a friend who is and have her send me a lot of pop music that has a quick beat.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am doing Week 3, Day 3 tomorrow.

It's going well. I am slow, but at least I am doing it. When I started at Week 1, Day 1...I could BARELY finish out the 60 seconds and, in fact, skipped it a couple of times to walk instead. But After Week 1, I was able to run the whole time I was supposed to.

I am waiting for my new running shoes to come in the mail on Tuesday, can't wait! (I got fitted for some at Fit2Run, but did not buy them there because they were so expensive! Found them online for $35 cheaper). I am currently running in Nike Shox...do not recommend it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've just done week 1.1 (repeating week 1 :) ) day 1 and it was so much easier than last week, I think repeating each week will be the way to go for me.
    When I finished I was sweating more and puffing less than last week so I think that can only be a good thing.
    I'm running outside in the park so no idea of my speed - but it's slow.
    Enjoy!
    Ruby
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    You're doing great Ruby! It think it is a wonderful idea to repeat each week so you can build up your endurance and progress at a pace appropriate for your fitness level.
  • moriah5
    moriah5 Posts: 20
    Options
    I would love to join. I had started this program in Decemberbut didn't have a treadmill and the weather here has been very cold and snowing so I decided to postpone until I got a treadmill. I purchased one last week. I had completed week 3, so I will start back at week 2. Hoping to do my first 5K this spring.
  • richelleoconnor
    Options
    Perfect! This is just what I need!

I started the C25K before Chrismas, but the break in my usual routine over the holidays meant that I never finished!

I will be starting week1 day1 today.

I use the podcasts with the music from beatport.com and find it far easier to go onto the next level if I dont actually know what the run and walk times are. I trust that the program wouldnt move up to a level that I couldn't handle too quickly and use that confidence to get through the longer runs.

Being from Australia and in the middle of summer, I have the opposite problem to most people who have said it is too cold to run outside. I don't have a treadmill and have to get up early in the morning to avoid the hot weather most days.

Looking forward to hearing of everyones success