Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Dear co-workers, can you completely change the way that you do things around here because I am unable to change myself and my habits? If not, I most certainly am going to let it ruin my day every day until I get tired of making excuses and just give up instead of finding some willpower.
  • jlp19771
    jlp19771 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where we have catered lunches and treats are brought in by various vendors all the time. I have had to learn how to say NO. I cannot and will not expect someone to stop eating something that they want just because I can't have it. Most of my co-workers know that I am trying to lose weight and they will still offer, just being polite and I politely decline and they don't push. This is my battle to fight and I don't expect them to change just because of me. Most of the time I only need to look at the label and I know longer want whatever it is.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I bring crap in all the time b/c I don't want it in my house.

I have to agree here, I'm sorry that you're having such a rough time but it is unfair for you to expect other people to change their habits. I love to bake and cook but since I don't eat much (and my boyfriend has no self control and will gorge himself) I often bring treats to friends or the office so that people can enjoy them and it doesn't just go bad on my counter.

Have you thought about just enjoying the little treat so that you don't have the agony of desperately wanting it? You can always take a walk during your lunch, even invite some of those coworkers with you, or just work it off after work :flowerforyou:

So you don't keep stuff in your house because you don't want your no self control boyfiend gorging himself, but you don't mind if your no self control coworkers gorge on it? That's thoughtful.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There is a certain social/work expectation of the "food in the office" thing also. It is more than just about eating the food.

I read a huge article on it a while back. I wish I had saved it.

Especially when it comes to food brought into the office, or a pot luck, lunch with the boss.

We are having our company BBQ on Friday. I am glad I have the day off. Gives me a reason not to go.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    2 hour commute and the danger of candy? The obvious answer is to quit your job.

Oh! Can you rack up your bike to your car or the bus and bike part of the commute? Then you can have candy!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Wow haha.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wow...

I'm so glad that this is the type of community where someone can come on here, have a bad day, rant about it and feel free to do so without everyone giving them a hard time and making them to feel like crap!(purposeful sarcasm) Lawdy, I hope none of you people have a bad day and come in here ranting about something, and if you do, I hope you're not treated the way you're treating this woman.

The difference between me having a bad day and needing to rant and OP is I don't publish my rants on public forums. When I desire sympathy, I talk to people I know who will actually provide some, not expect random strangers to do so.
    off topic - I was wrote up for bring dougnuts to work before.

Baby, you bring those donuts to me. I swear I won't write you up. :flowerforyou:
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have a "candy closet" in our office......in MY office!....so I can relate..... while some days are better than others, I make a daily choice: do I want that piece of candy or do I want to stay on my path? Other people can stop at one piece of candy. I cannot. Because of that, I choose not to have that first piece. I try not to think of it as "them against me" when it comes to the candy.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    OP, I bet you thought you would get a lot more people on here sugar coating (pun intended) their responses. Truth is most everyone is right. Your weight loss adventure isn't any one else' problem. If you are truly going to lose weight and keep it off you'll have to have will power and what better way to get in some practice than your typical office setting.

We have donuts and cake and some really delicious looking *kitten* around here all the time and I walk right by it. I'd rather have abs than love handles.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    No one thinks about as much as you think they do.

Chances are your co-workers are bringing in treats to be nice, not to personally ruin your progress.

Sorry but this candy thing is you problem, not theirs. If people want to bring candy they can, and if you don't want to eat it, you don't have to.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just so I make sure I understand - You're annoyed that your co-workers won't change their eating habits because you can't control yours? Is that the gist of it?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think it's legitimately cruel to bring candy for co-workers to share at the office. I don't know how many times I have to ask people not to bring it in but it's like no one cares. I am trying so hard not to snack and it becomes so much harder when almost everyone has some sort of treat at their desk. I can only walk by it so many times without taking something.

I am sure I will get a ton of "no one is forcing you to eat it" and you're right. But my "friends" sure don't make it any easier for me. I notoriously have no will power. Why do people want to tempt me?? They think it's nice and I guess once in a while it's a nice treat, but to fill the candy bucket that you've had in your office since Halloween on a weekly basis is just not necessary. And it's always the people that don't eat it themselves! When you stop smoking or drinking or whatever, the professionals all say to stay away from things that trigger you. The amazing cookies that someone brought in today to say thank you for bridal shower gift is certainly a trigger. And it is right next to my cube! This articles helps prove my point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-office-candy-jar-helping-make-you-fat/

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really upset about it. I am working really hard to be good. I am a working mom with an almost 2 hour commute each way and working out once I get home is really hard for me. I am not always able to burn the extra calories to make up for one bite size snickers. It can ruin my whole day. Okay, rant over. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Thanks Obama!
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days, we all rant about stuff. We don't throw the the baby out with the bathwater and blame our lack of willpower and our inability to say "no" on such insignificant things as the candy dish someone puts out at the office. C'mon now.

I agree with you on this, completely. However, there are ways to say things that are much less abrasive, more respectful, and less rude than what I'm seeing in this post from *several* people. If we're all here with the same goal in mind (the well-being of our bodies)...I just think saying things in a supportive manner would go a lot further than sarcasm and snarkiness. =/
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I keep two dishes of candy ON my desk. One is full of chocolate (Reeses, Hershey's, etc) and the other is full of Dum Dum pops. At 25 calories apiece, if I really want something sweet and to fit in, I have a Dum Dum - why not? It's not worth the heartache, and candy on desks in offices is one of the joys of working with other people - it's a way for easy socialization!

Maybe try bringing in some low-calorie treats to share? Make some of those 90 calorie brownies or some pumpkin cookies. It would give you an in to talk about the low calories, too, and share your progress with anyone who's interested. :)
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    SO you are on a diet and everyone else has to suffer? GET A GRIP
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay, Okay !!! I surrender!!

I know I need to take responsibility. I just wish I could get everyone to cooperate for like 2 weeks so I get the sugar out of my system to make this a little easier on me. I know realistically that isn't going to happen but neither is being accepted into Hogwarts and becoming a wizard. Doesn't mean I can't dream about it. :) I mean 35 is just to old, I need to face the facts. I will never be a wizard.

So cruel was to harsh of a word. I'm just frustrated. Thank you all for putting me in my place and getting me back on the straight and narrow. I got a kick out of many of the responses and down right laughed out loud at others. And others.., well you know what those were like. And I deserved it so... yeah. I've got my big girl pants on right here, I'm gonna put them on and NOT walk over to the cookies.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    wambulance_logo.jpg
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Eat a snickers. You get kind of ranty when you're hungry.

Kidding. I just ate a fun size snickers from a co-workers candy jar. so good. Of course, now I'm thinking about a 2nd one. The only thing holding me back is the beautiful dog fish head Midas Touch sitting in my fridge.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days, we all rant about stuff. We don't throw the the baby out with the bathwater and blame our lack of willpower and our inability to say "no" on such insignificant things as the candy dish someone puts out at the office. C'mon now.

I agree with you on this, completely. However, there are ways to say things that are much less abrasive, more respectful, and less rude than what I'm seeing in this post from *several* people. If we're all here with the same goal in mind (the well-being of our bodies)...I just think saying things in a supportive manner would go a lot further than sarcasm and snarkiness. =/

Support isn't always hand holding and unicorns farting rainbows. I'm not here to baby people and I don't expect the same. It's a public forum. If she wanted a certain type of support, then next time I suggest keeping it to your feed, your blog or starting a group.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wow...

I'm so glad that this is the type of community where someone can come on here, have a bad day, rant about it and feel free to do so without everyone giving them a hard time and making them to feel like crap!(purposeful sarcasm) Lawdy, I hope none of you people have a bad day and come in here ranting about something, and if you do, I hope you're not treated the way you're treating this woman.

To the OP...I'm sure it's rough having treats in your face every time you turn around when you're trying so hard to stay away from them.

If I may offer a suggestion? Maybe you could start bringing in a snack tray of veggies and low-cal dip and place that on your desk sometimes as a 'go to' when you're feeling the urge to grab that mini-Snickers? Or...maybe some mini-protein bars in a candy dish if you can just get 1 of them every now and then. I have Starlight chocolate-mint candies here that I eat like...2 or 3 of per day (they're 60 calories for 3 of them)....maybe get something that isn't quite so calorie-dense and put that in a container on *your* desk...so you have something at least a little better for you than Snickers or other options that co-workers have on theirs.

Just a suggestion...it might help if you have your own dish full of something that you can have *every once in a while* without feeling deprived of something. :)

I do agree it's not fair to expect them not to bring treats in...because not everyone you work with is in the same boat as you, but...there are things you can do to divert your attention away from the goodies. Bring your own! :smile:

If she wanted to rant and rave, maybe she should have come in here and asked for moral support instead of putting the blame of her will power issues on everyone around her. We all know it's tough, but the truth is if you can't walk around this world and exercise some level of will power then you're not going to make it.

Maybe she needed to hear some of the responses telling her she needs to get over herself. Probably more helpful than if everyone came in here and told her that she was right and everyone around her is wrong. That's just dumb.