Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Candy I could resist. It was when they brought in the Scotch that I'd be in trouble.
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the OP and have responded about three pages back. Just want to say again that you were all right. Some of you used supportive words and others were quite harsh. I took both types of comments and came to the conclusion that it's in my hands. I can make the decision to eat the snacks or not. Even the ridiculous amounts of "get a grip" comments are helpful. So thanks. I needed that kick in the pants. *whispers* Can it please stop now *huddles in corner with arms protecting head"?
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Options
    Oh, I also want to say that I really wish I had sparkly poop. That would be awesome.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One thing about it -- life is seldom fair or kind. All you can do is enjoy the good moments and weather the storms.

There's no harm in indulging in occasional treats if you really want them. The best thing you can do is just pick your battles. Sacrifices can be made elsewhere if you feel any sort of guilt about indulgences. It's a matter of give and take. Just be reasonable about your expectations.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to overcome office treat temptation when I was losing my weight. However, now that I am all fit and sexy I just sit at my desk and smile smugly while the pigs feed at the trough... That is all. *Note: I got and still get nasty comments about how I don't eat (like they couldn't see my healthy snacks -OR- that I was eating 5-6x per day) or that I work out too much. Sorry, not sorry that my healthier lifestyle makes you feel insecure ;)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a 12-step poster but "own your own program". Are you bringing your healthy snacks to the office. If you have something at your desk worth looking forward to it will be easier to walk past. Try the emerald dark chocolate peanut butter or cinnamon almonds. They are delightful and good for you. It is up to you to stay in the safe zone with your eating, no one else. My coworkers know I watch my food, so they bring it in but don't offer it to me verbally. It's a struggle but finding balance can't be the responsibility of others.:flowerforyou:

Honestly this.^

Hubby's paleo and we are going to a party this weekend where there will likely be a bunch of things he chooses not to eat. So I'm gonna buy a deviled eggs taker for 3 bucks at Party City and make some deviled eggs to take so I can be sure there is at least one thing he can eat. I plan to top half with crumbled bacons, half with cayenne pepper, and half with tomato slices. Then another half I'm gonna leave plain. If I have time I might chop some chives for another half. I know I went way over on halves here but I never claimed to be a math genius.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If she cant control herself around a 40 calorie snickers what makes you think she won't have 10 or 30 of those 20 calorie mints (3x per serving 60/3).

hmm...kk, good point, you. *waves white flag*

Just a fact, there's no substitute for learning responsibility, moderation and accountability. You can lose weight eating all of your favorite foods and you can do it for a lifetime. Pretending your co-workers, friends and family are out to get you will only lead to failure.

You...you and your logic...
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the OP and have responded about three pages back. Just want to say again that you were all right. Some of you used supportive words and others were quite harsh. I took both types of comments and came to the conclusion that it's in my hands. I can make the decision to eat the snacks or not. Even the ridiculous amounts of "get a grip" comments are helpful. So thanks. I needed that kick in the pants. *whispers* Can it please stop now *huddles in corner with arms protecting head"?

You can do this OP++++ You will always have the power over anything in your life.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to overcome office treat temptation when I was losing my weight. However, now that I am all fit and sexy I just sit at my desk and smile smugly while the pigs feed at the trough... That is all. *Note: I got and still get nasty comments about how I don't eat (like they couldn't see my healthy snacks -OR- that I was eating 5-6x per day) or that I work out too much. Sorry, not sorry that my healthier lifestyle makes you feel insecure ;)

Charming.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If she cant control herself around a 40 calorie snickers what makes you think she won't have 10 or 30 of those 20 calorie mints (3x per serving 60/3).

hmm...kk, good point, you. *waves white flag*

Just a fact, there's no substitute for learning responsibility, moderation and accountability. You can lose weight eating all of your favorite foods and you can do it for a lifetime. Pretending your co-workers, friends and family are out to get you will only lead to failure.

You...you and your logic...

I know right?
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I like you. If you need any MFP friends let me know. You've got this. :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Frank gets the message delivered in an efficient manner. Rude isn't cool but I may or may not be blunt at times. I can speak for myself only, but I have a deep desire to help people find their paths to strong minds and personal balance in general.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a 12-step poster but "own your own program". Are you bringing your healthy snacks to the office. If you have something at your desk worth looking forward to it will be easier to walk past. Try the emerald dark chocolate peanut butter or cinnamon almonds. They are delightful and good for you. It is up to you to stay in the safe zone with your eating, no one else. My coworkers know I watch my food, so they bring it in but don't offer it to me verbally. It's a struggle but finding balance can't be the responsibility of others.:flowerforyou:

Honestly this.^

Hubby's paleo and we are going to a party this weekend where there will likely be a bunch of things he chooses not to eat. So I'm gonna buy a deviled eggs taker for 3 bucks at Party City and make some deviled eggs to take so I can be sure there is at least one thing he can eat. I plan to top half with crumbled bacons, half with cayenne pepper, and half with tomato slices. Then another half I'm gonna leave plain. If I have time I might chop some chives for another half. I know I went way over on halves here but I never claimed to be a math genius.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seems like it adds up to me!
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Options

I like you. If you need any MFP friends let me know. You've got this. :)

Yes Please
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Honestly this.^

I had a coworker who made deviled eggs for every party function and she was THE HERO of the office. EVERYONE raved about those deviled eggs and they were always the very first thing gone. I am in full support of anyone who brings deviled eggs to an office party, I miss working in that office because I miss those eggs!
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As the original poster, this was my favorite response so far!! Seriously funny. :laugh:

You have my respect for playing along and not getting all "you guys are mean" on us. It's a calorie counting website, we are all b!tchy. :)

QFT

OP, I'm glad you brought this up, the reactions are much harsher than I would have expected. I also feel like there are too many unhealthy treats peddled to us at work. Many social interactions in our culture revolve around food, and in general we can see the evidence of those unhealthy habits by the heavily increasing numbers of obese people in America. I'm not saying that office treats are the cause of our obesity epidemic, don't pin that on me. But it's worth noting that the OP has been consistently chastised for her lack of willpower and poor relationship with food (not that Im claiming the OP does). And yet our entire culture has an unhealthy relationship with food. Healthy, fit people are the exception, not the norm.

Office politics are tricky, I hate saying no to people (it's a product of my upbringing and a personality trait, I'm working on it), I'd rather avoid the break room and eat at my desk than have to field questions about the lunch I brought from home, and/or avoid the high fives for my healthy lunch.

I would agree that willpower is a learned behavior, and only practice can improve it. I love the suggestion about having a bowl of fruit, be the change you want to see in the world.

Also I would say that the highly negative response stems from a culture that is too focused on the individual, the idea that if we fail, we have only ourselves to blame. Theres no social accountability. If willpower is a learned behavior, then the opposite is true as well. What is our culture/society teaching children about health and fitness? Not enough obviously.

Tl; dr, I have an unpopular opinion.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing on this thread as my department just rolled out a bunch of ice cream and other 'hump day' treats. Lol.

Me, I couldn't care less, whatever makes people happy. I actually kind of like having that stuff waved in my face and then not eating any. It's a great way to show myself I'm committed to changing certain poor eating habits and it's not like I don't regularly leave room to have the kinds of snacks/treats I like when I want them (for example, beer).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Then you, mam, are awesome for seeing through alot of the sarcasm and seeing that we're all just trying to help you along. If you need some encouragement (constructive), I'd be more than happy to do that. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Glad to see your toddler moment has passed.

The thread probably won't stop though. Sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Options
    Hi again - OP here. I got a lot of "it's not all about you" comments which really bugged me. I just got a very nice note from someone that made me really think about the real reason I posted my rant and made me realize why the comments bugged me. My whole thought process comes from the fact that if i knew that someone in my office was working really hard to stay away from treats, I personally wouldn't bring them in and make it harder for them. They don't want it and I don't need it. It is my personality not to be the person that makes anything harder for another person. So sometimes it boggles my mind that others don't think the same way and I just can't understand. So that's where it came from.

But like other comments said, I can't change other people's behaviors (which I actually tell my husband all the time about his mother) so I need to change mind. Thank you for the reminder.