What can calisthenics do for you? Let me show you.

Replies

• daniemoy
    daniemoy Posts: 1 Member
    You are a perfect example of what I am looking to achieve. I don't want to be a slave to cardio, but I have no interest in going to a gym. I've started a bodyweight calesthetics program and my heavy lifting is limited to hip thrusts (trying to build a beautiful butt).
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Saving for later...
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    You look great! thanks for sharing!
  • liannap
    liannap Posts: 91 Member
    Thanks for your article. I believe that the tone of your article is what this website is all about: sharing and encouraging. I went to Amazon and read up about convict conditioning. Not too fussed about whether the author is an ex-convict or not or whether the tone of the book is more appropriate for 14 yo boys than for adults: the general opinion (279 reviews) was that the method of training is very good and aimed at success and progress. I bought the Kindle version.
    Thanks again. And, yes, you are looking fabulous - very encouraging,
    Stay well and keep fit.
    With warmest Regards
    Lianna
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I am switching from weights to bodyweight training. Thanks for the information!!

Congrats on your awesome results.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Awesome job! I can't say that I am shocked, I have been trying to tell tell people for quire some time to not underestimate calisthenics.
    I am VERY impressed by your strength. 25 HSPU @ the end of all those others...that's a feat few people can do, man or woman.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    bumping for later
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I love this! Thank you so much for sharing your results. I have just started a similar plan. Just, or mostly, bodyweight exercises. I do have some dumbbells, but I also don't particularly enjoy lifting them. I will check out the resources you mentioned.

Wow, 150 pushups! On a good day I can do about 15. LOL

I need to take some before pictures so hopefully I can post my own success one day.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Love it. I'm doing body weight only based on Convict Conditioning. I'm seeing results, and it's really nice to see that somebody else has achieved my goals.

Your arms are awesome! I love your back.

And your daughter rocks!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Thanks for your article. I believe that the tone of your article is what this website is all about: sharing and encouraging. I went to Amazon and read up about convict conditioning. Not too fussed about whether the author is an ex-convict or not or whether the tone of the book is more appropriate for 14 yo boys than for adults: the general opinion (279 reviews) was that the method of training is very good and aimed at success and progress. I bought the Kindle version.
    Thanks again. And, yes, you are looking fabulous - very encouraging,
    Stay well and keep fit.
    With warmest Regards
    Lianna

Yes. The testosterone gets thick in there but the program is solid.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Gah. Thank you for this post which I needed so sorely today (and thanks to Varda/likitisplit for posting on it so it popped up on my feed). I've been doing Body By You for six weeks and have actually gained several pounds when I was right there at my goal weight, and this morning woke up feeling completely discouraged. Seeing your results has been nothing short of inspirational to me to keep going and not let the stupid scale dictate whether or not I'm successful. My big huge long-way-off goal is to do a pullup, and I'm not going to get there by going out and doing a walk or run every day--which is what I did this morning instead of my strength routine because I was being a big baby whiner!!!
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Great job.
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Wow! Very amazing! This sounds like something I would really loveto do, once I loose another 50! :laugh:
    Whats next for you? Parkour? :bigsmile:
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    p.s having heavy legs does not help for this

No, it sure doesn't!
    Awesome job! I can't say that I am shocked, I have been trying to tell tell people for quire some time to not underestimate calisthenics.
    I am VERY impressed by your strength. 25 HSPU @ the end of all those others...that's a feat few people can do, man or woman.

Wow, really? Thanks! I'll admit I hit the pushups hard and fast right off the bat, because they were so much easier for me. I still struggle with bar calisthenics at times. Nice flag! I was practicing mine this morning at the park. =P
    The testosterone gets thick in there

Ha! So true. Had my fair share of *eyerolls*.
    Seeing your results has been nothing short of inspirational to me to keep going and not let the stupid scale dictate whether or not I'm successful.

This is something that I've only learned to do this year. I was spoiled by consistent, continuous weight loss while I lost the majority of my weight, but this year the scale froze up. Like I said in the OP, there's only about 4-5 lbs difference between my pictures, and some days that gap closes completely depending on TOM and what I've eaten. Good luck with the rest of your program!
    Whats next for you? Parkour?

I do dabble in some freelance parkour and love it! It's so liberating. My family is moving later this year to a bigger house and my husband has promised to build me an obstacle course. . =)

Thank you for all your comments!
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    You look great! I tend to wander back and forth between body weight strength moves and weights. The plus of using body weight moves is that I can do them anywhere, making it easy to keep it up when I'm traveling. :-)
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    I am that crazy adult on the jungle gym, flying through the monkey bars with ease. Sometimes my husband will discover me in odd positions throughout the house – climbing a doorway, or holding myself up in the air on the kitchen counter... or on the roof. Lol. I can scale and lift myself over almost anything - trees, walls, fences…

So now you’re probably thinking, why? What’s the point? For me, it’s the fact that having this kind of unlimited, self-made strength is so… SO… empowering. It gives you a kind of cool confidence that is hard to explain. Not to mention – it is damn FUN.

This is exactly what I want to be able to do. I want to be stronger so I can run, jump, climb & play.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add - my agility circuits are done with an agility ladder. Basically just fast, fancy footwork - then sometimes I follow up with some parkour style stuff.

I absolutely LOVE the agility ladder. It is so much fun!

Thank you so much for this perfectly timed post & for sharing the details of your program. I have been researching both heavy lifting & body weight training for a little while now. While I have a lot of respect for those who choose to lift heavy, it is also inspiring to see a results post from someone who decided to go with calisthenics. You look fantastic!

EDIT TO ADD: As we face another season change, I have been looking for something that I can work into my routine to compliment my running. I want something challenging that I can work up to as I scale back the running during the winter months, so I have been researching both heavy lifting & body weight training. I have been somewhat discouraged by all the posts that say you must choose between strength training and cardio... I enjoy both for different reasons. It is nice to see that you're able to be flexible with your program (and do a few runs when you feel like it) AND still get results!
  • 40goneby40
    40goneby40 Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks so much for posting this! I have tried and quit so many lifting routines because it just didn't feel "like me". I went to a trainer and told him my fitness goals -- to be able to do box jumps on the highest box and be able to do a pull up and he started me on yet another weight training routine. THIS is what I want to do!! Can't wait to do the research and get myself a program!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Awesome job!!!!:drinker:
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    YOU ROCK!!!! I am so impressed by this and inspired since I just started my own personal calesthenics list.
  • amybyrd73
    amybyrd73 Posts: 15 Member
    You look awesome! Did you say you lost 125lbs and have sagging/loose skin? Where? I don't see any on you, you look amazing for losing that much weight! ( I have around 100lbs to lose and hope I can be as lucky!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!