Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Yeah I found that I didn't just run a marathon for 26.2 miles but I ran my marathon for months and months as the training commitment was HIGH. The marathon itself was a bit rough. It was the longest race I ever ran. I did run 20 miles during my training but that was at a very comfortable jog and I wasn't pushing myself AT ALL as I was just trying to get distance in that morning. I was running 4 days a week, some weeks every day for 5 miles or more and my long runs on the weekend surpassed 1/2 marathon length. I'm considering the training implications or running another one next year because my first marathon was in a canyon and I'd like to having something comparatively flatter.

But yeah different beast and it's not just race day.

I agree with this, I actually found the training much harder than the actual marathon, I had trouble with my achilles last year, so the majority of my training was done on trails, but the longest trail loop I had was 8 miles, so I was running the same trails 4 times a week and then having to double the loops on my long runs, I was sick of the forest by the end of the training, my times were getting worse because it was the same route all the time (the issue was it was only 2min from my house, so I could get back home and bed quickly), couldn't remember the last time I had a hot bath, if there wasn't ice in it, I didn't know what to do,
    It really is the time commitment for marathon training that's the biggest issue, if I wasn't training I was sleeping, my life was on hold for 18 weeks to make sure the runs were done, the day of the marathon was just the achievement, your friend find you boring, because all you can talk about is your training (it's all you have to talk about)
    However I was one of these people that start of about week 14, that seriously questioned why the hell I thought this was a good idea, and continued to have those doubts, right up until 5min after I had finished, when I was planning the next one!!!
    Glad you're doing a half first, it was one of the things I regretted, it would have given me a lot more confidence if I had!

Good Luck, remember, your time doesn't matter, finishing does:)

you mean...a runner???
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Love the advice in this thread. I just started running in July of this summer and am in love. Was running 5k continuous after 3 weeks, and did 18km the other day, running my first half marathon in 2 weeks! (21.1km).

Never would have believed when I started that this is where i'd end up, I can still remember huffing and puffing my way to a near 7minute km and only making it 2-3km.

Thinking of doing a full marathon next summer just to check it off the list of "things I did that never seemed possible".

To the OP, I salute you!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Love the advice in this thread. I just started running in July of this summer and am in love. Was running 5k continuous after 3 weeks, and did 18km the other day, running my first half marathon in 2 weeks! (21.1km).

Never would have believed when I started that this is where i'd end up, I can still remember huffing and puffing my way to a near 7minute km and only making it 2-3km.

Thinking of doing a full marathon next summer just to check it off the list of "things I did that never seemed possible".

To the OP, I salute you!

Hey...you are awesome!
    Thank you. :) Im sure you will get there, you seem to be heading in a great direction!!
    Cheers friend :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Today's 4 mile run i averaged 11.22 per mile. When im at the gym ive been doing some speed work on the treadmill for the last 6/7 weeks since the 10k and its improved a lot as it was about 13.30 per mile before. Plus ive lost more weight which will have helped me get a bit quicker.
    I really want to do my next 10k in about 60/65 mins so need to keep improving my time. I find when im outside i tend to start off too fast so been trying to keep a steady pace the whole time which is helping but hard to do!

Are you still enjoying doing it? Do you think you will carry on once you have done the marathon? Another reason i signed up for the other 10k was to make sure i didn't have too much off a rest from training before my half next year. I think having the goals really help to keep you motivated.

Thats awesome that youve gotten faster! Great feat. I ran last night but it was the tread, so I had help, but I ran at 13-13:50 pace for my 4 miles. Typically outside I have been running at 13:00-15:00 min pace depending on the heat . Typically around 100 degrees or less I can run at 13 ish...more then 103 and I start to slow down...

I am enjoying the process. I get a little overwhelmed in the beginning almost anxious to know if I can finish the runs. My program keeps bumping up the minutes on me..and it may not seem alot but running 5 extra minutes is killer for me! lo...surprisingly after each run im so happy because I finished it and didnt stop :). I do think I will continue to run. So far I do enjoy it. I have even learned that on stressful days at work I actually look forward to just coming home and running..which is something I never thought Id say. Also, when I miss my run when I had it planned I feel like ididnt accomplish much. lol. On days I get my run in I feel very accomplished and it kind of carries into the rest of my day. Dont know if this is all normal ..just learning about my mental stamina and physical stamina everyday. Ive never "pushed" myself like this tod o something I thought I hated and couldnt do.

When I was training for my half, I got used to looking at my plan, having a good laugh at the fact they thought I was capable of it, finishing the run as planned, showering and going to sleep.

The feeling of accomplishment is normal. It is such a great way of learning about mental vs. physical boundaries - because you gently push against them both.
    Hi friend I finished my 5k. 40 min! It was hot, miserable I had my heat rash and my period...but I got it done!!!! :) Thanks for all your awesome advice!
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    I have done one full marathon. To say that I "ran" it would be a gross overstatement. I crawled, scraped, cried, whatever, but I did cross the finish line. In seven hours...

If you've never done a half marathon, do that first. And realize that a full marathon is a hell of a lot more than two half marathons. If you can just about do a half, then it will take some work to be ready for a full.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member

I cant compare ice baths yet for my recovery. When I first started running it was not the most pleasurable. I was using my body in a form I hadnt used in the year previous (cardio, HIIT, machines). A 20 bath in hot water and empsom salts helped alot. I would get out and just feel like jelly. Plop into bed and go to sleep and the next morning no soreness. I can only remember being sore 2 times out of the whole 13 weeks. ... I would have to say that the baths helped me in that I believe. I have reat that the ice baths do help in recovery for long runs..so trust me I will try anything once..

I guess Ill know more as my body adapts to longer and longer runs....a whole learning process I tell you. I thought running was going to be just easy..lol Runners make running look so easy.....

This is why all the runners popped out of the woodwork to give you advice. We weren't telling you couldn't, most of us weren't even telling you that you shouldn't, but we did want you to know what you were getting yourself into. As you are now well aware, ramping up to a marathon takes a lot of hard work and TIME. I had been running for over 2 years before I ran a marathon and I torched away all my leisure time from February to the end of July training. Yeah I had been running 4-5 days a week but as the miles of my runs increased it seemed all I did was go to work, run, eat and sleep.
  • Chimis_Siq

I cant compare ice baths yet for my recovery. When I first started running it was not the most pleasurable. I was using my body in a form I hadnt used in the year previous (cardio, HIIT, machines). A 20 bath in hot water and empsom salts helped alot. I would get out and just feel like jelly. Plop into bed and go to sleep and the next morning no soreness. I can only remember being sore 2 times out of the whole 13 weeks. ... I would have to say that the baths helped me in that I believe. I have reat that the ice baths do help in recovery for long runs..so trust me I will try anything once..

I guess Ill know more as my body adapts to longer and longer runs....a whole learning process I tell you. I thought running was going to be just easy..lol Runners make running look so easy.....

This is why all the runners popped out of the woodwork to give you advice. We weren't telling you couldn't, most of us weren't even telling you that you shouldn't, but we did want you to know what you were getting yourself into. As you are now well aware, ramping up to a marathon takes a lot of hard work and TIME. I had been running for over 2 years before I ran a marathon and I torched away all my leisure time from February to the end of July training. Yeah I had been running 4-5 days a week but as the miles of my runs increased it seemed all I did was go to work, run, eat and sleep.

Yeah you are right, I totally got it the first time.......I never thought it would be easy, I just needed doable. My goal was to also finish, not run a marathon, as I know that would be unrealistic. So far I still think I can finish it..I have about 8 months to go and the plan will take me through the year. So hopefully my body doesnt give out and I can continue :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    I have done one full marathon. To say that I "ran" it would be a gross overstatement. I crawled, scraped, cried, whatever, but I did cross the finish line. In seven hours...

If you've never done a half marathon, do that first. And realize that a full marathon is a hell of a lot more than two half marathons. If you can just about do a half, then it will take some work to be ready for a full.

Wow what a commitment!!

I hope to do a half along my training..
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

Wow what a commitment!!

Well obviously you'll have to run that distance in training eventually. You don't have to run an official race but skipping that distance is impossible if you're planning on doing double that in a race. I did two half marathons last year and I had the worst luck with weather both times. I haven't done one this year at all but I'm planning on doing my first marathon in December. Of course I do a 13+ mile run nearly every single weekend now. Even if I'm not racing that distance I'm doing in in training.
  • Chimis_Siq

Wow what a commitment!!

Well obviously you'll have to run that distance in training eventually. You don't have to run an official race but skipping that distance is impossible if you're planning on doing double that in a race. I did two half marathons last year and I had the worst luck with weather both times. I haven't done one this year at all but I'm planning on doing my first marathon in December. Of course I do a 13+ mile run nearly every single weekend now. Even if I'm not racing that distance I'm doing in in training.

Yeah you are right, thats what I meant. I know the 13 miles will be in my training, but I wanted to do an official half to get the feel for runs.

Right now im finishing off my 10 k program then ill be moving on to the marathon training (Galloway)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Hi guys! Thought Id update...

Im in week 14 today ..last week of C210K. The last day ill run my official unofficial 10K. Crazy to say ! This week I run 60 min non-stop.

I did it!!

Its my official longest time running non-stop, and my longest distance as well (that distance included the warmup walk, and walk back to the house from location after run).

60 min non stop run, 5.34 miles, 14ish min pace. Im happy with that!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    That's awesome! The hour barrier is a huge mental and physical one, well done.
  • Chimis_Siq
    That's awesome! The hour barrier is a huge mental and physical one, well done.

Thank you..for me yes it was a huge barrier. 20 min non-stop was huge. 60 min is another ball game though. Thanks again :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    That is really wonderful! Good for you!

For me, it got tougher from this point, but you have all the mental and physical tools by now to be a life-long runner whatever happens. That is awesome.
  • Chimis_Siq
    That is really wonderful! Good for you!

For me, it got tougher from this point, but you have all the mental and physical tools by now to be a life-long runner whatever happens. That is awesome.

Thank you !! I realize its only going to get tougher, but I think ive built a good mental foundation to move forward (as you said). I still have ALOT to learn about running and how my body reacts, but im accepting of the challenges.

Thanks for all your honest support.
  • pink_daisychain
    pink_daisychain Posts: 26 Member
    well done!! :drinker:
  • _Waffle_
    How's this coming along? I just finished my first yesterday.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

@Chimis_Siq‌ - how is training going?
  • _Waffle_

Looks like she never made it past 5.34 miles.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Looks like she never made it past 5.34 miles.
    1367953531_ptMJSJU.gif