Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    mbaby When I started c25k, I used my reliever a few minutes before I started each session, I have gone to using it 5-6 times a day to hardly using it at all. Out for a run at 5am this morning, 5celsius, so will have a couple of puffs before I go as insurance. It will get easier. If you can't hold a conversation with someone on the run phase you are running too fast. When you get this concept, it will become easier, it took me 4 weeks of running too hard on the run phase before the penny dropped. Your body needs to adapt.

YoshiCow well done on starting same advice as above on going off too fast. At the moment you need to focus on your body getting use to the different stresses of running, the speed is not important at this stage, speed will come later.

I am at week 13 of the c210k programme, 6 week extension to the c25k programme, I ran 3 21 minute intervals with 1 minute rest faster than I did the dreaded week 5 day 3 run 7 weeks ago. Have faith in the programme, it works if you follow it.

Good luck on your journey
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    hahaha no chance of me going too fast.

im slowest runner in the gym, i noticed every has the speed set to around 9+ when running, im at 7.2 and defo jogging not running.
    I look in slow motion next to my friend lol
  • elengwenllian
    Options
    Hey hey!
    I started the C25K on the weekend, and just going to do my second day today.

I had a bit of pain in my foot following the training on Sunday, but have got different trainers for today so that should hopefully sort it out!

How is everyone finding it?
    x
  • stmadoesboy
    stmadoesboy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This morning was week 8 day 3 - completed just over 3 miles in 26:40. Last Saturday I went for it and completed a Park Run (5km) as part of my week 8 schedule - unfortunately it was the day after an all-day wedding so it took me 29:44 (and I'm convinced I was sweating red wine throughout!!!) :smile:

Will try another Park Run this Saturday and then I have my last scheduled C25K run next Tuesday.

After that I'm looking to move up to Running for Fat Loss (R4FL) which seems to involve longer runs, a lot of interval running and some sprints being added too!

At Week 1, the thought of this programme terrified me, looking ahead at the 7 minute, 10 minute and 20 minute running sections was almost enough to stop me from starting and I did struggle to catch my breath during those early stages (the 1 minute jogs). Not sure if I'm 100% "hooked" yet, but it's pretty close.

If I can do it, anyone can. Keep up the good work people!! :heart:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... so it took me 29:44

I wouldn't worry. I was out last night, keeping my HR low (140-150bpm) throughout the 5K and completed in 28 minutes, so 29 isn't bad.
    After that I'm looking to move up to Running for Fat Loss (R4FL) which seems to involve longer runs, a lot of interval running and some sprints being added too!

It really depends on what outcomes you're after from the whole thing. I spent a month or so on the NHS C25K + sessions and then moved onto a 10K plan. I found after six weeks or so of continuuous running that I didn't get on with Run/ Walk so went straight to a 10K improvement plan.

In many ways speed increases at this level will come largely from getting more mileage in. I found that adding sprint intervals didn't really pay dividends until I was logging 60 minute continuous sessions, so 10Km.
  • stmadoesboy
    Options
    It really depends on what outcomes you're after from the whole thing. I spent a month or so on the NHS C25K + sessions and then moved onto a 10K plan. I found after six weeks or so of continuuous running that I didn't get on with Run/ Walk so went straight to a 10K improvement plan.

Outcome is still related to getting my weight down a bit - I believe there will come a point where my heart rate doesn't get high enough to get me burning fat through "just" jogging - hence the interest in interval training and occasional sprints
    In many ways speed increases at this level will come largely from getting more mileage in. I found that adding sprint intervals didn't really pay dividends until I was logging 60 minute continuous sessions, so 10Km.

Yep, I've heard that increasing mileage will give me better speed back down at the 5km distance - the R4FL plan moves me up from 30 mins continuous to 40, 50 and 60 mins - so hopefully that'll be me at the 10km distance after 8 weeks whilst running faster 5km times! oh, and weighing less too!! :happy:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Outcome is still related to getting my weight down a bit - I believe there will come a point where my heart rate doesn't get high enough to get me burning fat through "just" jogging - hence the interest in interval training and occasional sprints

Understand. I've lost three stone, and reduced bodyfat from 30% to 20% by working up to half marathon distances, with some cycling and bodyweight resistance training.

What you'll find is that as your HR reduces for a given level of effort, you've got the capacity to increase the level of effort Hence improving your pace.

fwiw the whole Fat Burning Zone thing is nonsense. At the levels of effort being talked about the difference between fat and glycogen expenditure is negligible. While the percentage of fat burned at the lower level is marginally higher than at a higher level of effort, you burn more gross calories at a higher level of effort.

In terms of performance, my 5K time at the end of C25K was about 34 minutes, by the time I'd finished the 10K plan it was down to 26 minutes, and now 24 minutes. Some of that is down to moving somewhat less of me around, but largely it's improved fitness.
  • stmadoesboy
    Options
    In terms of performance, my 5K time at the end of C25K was about 34 minutes, by the time I'd finished the 10K plan it was down to 26 minutes, and now 24 minutes. Some of that is down to moving somewhat less of me around, but largely it's improved fitness.

That's some improvement in times! Looking forward to something similar!

Cheers for the info.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Thanks for posting this, I am about a week away from completing c210k, although I followed straight on from c25k. I was wondering what sort of difference it would make. You inspired me for an all out effort the week after I finish. Great work on the improvement and the weight loss as well
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow! All of you guys are inspirational. I've had some great tips on here from so many people. Thanks all! I'm going for 10 k in a couple of weeks and would have found it more difficult without you lot :)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have the app downloaded just have yet to try it. Does it track your distance as well? I want to try it. Thinking of doing so tonight. Just wondered if I needed to run my RunKeeper app at the same time so I get my distance?
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depends what app - but I think most do keep your distance. I used rundouble and that worked really well for me. Didn't have any issues as long as the gps in your phone is working.
  • fanceegirl75
    Options
    Depends what app - but I think most do keep your distance. I used rundouble and that worked really well for me. Didn't have any issues as long as the gps in your phone is working.

Thank you Cookiegy!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I have the app downloaded just have yet to try it. Does it track your distance as well? I want to try it. Thinking of doing so tonight. Just wondered if I needed to run my RunKeeper app at the same time so I get my distance?

Personally I used Podcasts, so ran Runkeeper alongside it. I find that using an established tracker means that you've got the workout history available to you rather than inside a walled garden, so even if it's something that does track, then use Runkeeper et al as well.

I've subsequently used Endomondo, as the training plans are far better than Runkeeper in terms of usability and planning.

Now that I've got a Garmin I propagate from Garmin out to Runkeeper, Endomondo and Strava.
  • stmadoesboy
    Options

As a non-smartphone user - I've got runkeeper on my pc. I plan out the routes ahead of time and have a stopwatch with me as I go. I then just log the activity afterwards! #technodinosaur
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I completed W1 D2 yesterday, found it easier than day1 (although is same thing lol)

Just got to wait till friday morning now to tackle day 3
  • theresar719
    theresar719 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K last night as day 1. I really like the interval running rather than just trying to run as long as you can. I can probably only run for 5 minutes straight right now but doing the intervals was a big help. My legs were definitely tired after it but it felt good to accomplish it. Looking forward to Thursday night's run.
  • fanceegirl75
    Options
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I ended up going to the gym last night but am excited to give it a go this evening. It's still pretty warm here in Nor Cal so the gym's a/c has been calling me lol!
  • nsides0427
    nsides0427 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Going to be completing W1 D2 today and am thrilled to read everyone's posts here. I cannot wait to get to week 5 day 3 and own that s***! I used to be a runner in high school but I was more of a sprinter not a long distance gal, so I'm very excited to progress with this program! All of you guys have been very inspirational!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    For the new recruits, just take it steady, the programme is designed to give your bodies the chance and time it needs to adapt to the stresses of running. Just follow the programme no more, no less and you will soon be running continuously for 30mins. The first time round I went too fast, too quickly and then got injured. From a self certified "Been there done that" fool, don't make the same mistake. Now running 10k 3 times a week 13 weeks after starting C25K for the second time. Good luck on your respective journeys.