Sugar is the CULPRIT!

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    604gluconeogenesis.gif
    1582px-Metabolism_of_common_monosaccharides%2C_and_related_reactions.png

Doesn't explain anything in terms of what causes obesity.

Obesity is caused, with zero doubt, by an energy surplus over an extended period of time.

There is absolutely no disputing this.

You can argue that high GI foods cause people to have an increased appetite, but it is not the direct cause.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    604gluconeogenesis.gif

Thanks, that's really interesting.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

You missed the point. The point was that over eating is a CAUSE of something. The cause is hormones.

This sentence makes no sense.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Jebus effin Christ I am getting tired of seeing this topic.

Listen, toots, ALL carbs are converted into sugar (glucose) and stored as glycogen via the glycogenesis cycle or lipids via the lipogenesis cycle. This is the way that the body stores energy. So yes, the human body IS made to deal with these amounts of sugar.

The only real issues that can arise is when sugar consumption leads to an energy surplus,and thus fat storage, or if sugar consumption takes such a precedence that other important macronutrients and micronutrients are ignored.
    ndts.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OMG! LOL you people eat your sugar if you want it is a free country! I am not sugar police. You would think I smacked the candy bar right out of some of your hands.

People are getting on your case because you're spreading misinformation. Sugar is only "DANGEROUS" if you have diabetes, and even then only if you take in too much. Sugar is in most things, and in many things that are a very nutritious and important part of a well-balanced diet. To tell people they should stay away from it or that it is super duper dangerous and causes cancer, is a) false and b) beyond extreme.

Also, to assume everyone who is / was overweight got that way purely because they ate a lot of sugar makes you appear to be an ignorant, rude individual. You are not a doctor, obviously, nor are you a scientist or a biologist, or else I'd assume you would / could back up your claims with some solid evidence. You're going off one book, and it's a bad book.

Sugar(high GI) foods are the culprit of obesity.

Why don't you explain to us how most people became over weight?

By consuming more food than they needed to and not using the excess energy - which was then stored in fat cells and caused them to balloon up to an uncomfortable and / or unhealthy weight. People can also lose weight by NOT cutting out sugar from their diets, any many do. Imagine that.

That doesn’t explain anything. For example the law energy balance in terms of weight gain/loss states. You get fat by eating more calories than you consume. That just states the obvious. Explains absolutely nothing. If I said to you, “It’s hot outside because it’s not cold” is a pretty idiotic statement. That’s how idiotic the statement of, “you get fat because you consume more calories than you burn” There is nothing that states the “CAUSE” of why people over eat, why people are obese. So try again.

BTW: There are certain types of cancers that feed on glucose. If you provide an environment for certain life forms to exist, it's very possible they will gravity towards that environment.

What causes people to overeat? Really? They choose to. I didn't think I had to spell that one out for you or anyone else.

That's also incorrect. Everyone who over eats doesn't get fat. For example children who over eat grow, people who lift weights and over eat grow muscles.

Over eating isn't the problem.

You state it's a choice, so I guess you never binged in your life.

So what IS the problem, (in your mind)?
    There is no problem. Those children and those bodybuilders are not overeating. They are eating what they need to fuel their growth.
  • wheird
    Options
    OMG! LOL you people eat your sugar if you want it is a free country! I am not sugar police. You would think I smacked the candy bar right out of some of your hands.

People are getting on your case because you're spreading misinformation. Sugar is only "DANGEROUS" if you have diabetes, and even then only if you take in too much. Sugar is in most things, and in many things that are a very nutritious and important part of a well-balanced diet. To tell people they should stay away from it or that it is super duper dangerous and causes cancer, is a) false and b) beyond extreme.

Also, to assume everyone who is / was overweight got that way purely because they ate a lot of sugar makes you appear to be an ignorant, rude individual. You are not a doctor, obviously, nor are you a scientist or a biologist, or else I'd assume you would / could back up your claims with some solid evidence. You're going off one book, and it's a bad book.

By consuming more food than they needed to and not using the excess energy - which was then stored in fat cells and caused them to balloon up to an uncomfortable and / or unhealthy weight. People can also lose weight by NOT cutting out sugar from their diets, any many do. Imagine that.

That doesn’t explain anything. For example the law energy balance in terms of weight gain/loss states. You get fat by eating more calories than you consume. That just states the obvious. Explains absolutely nothing. If I said to you, “It’s hot outside because it’s not cold” is a pretty idiotic statement. That’s how idiotic the statement of, “you get fat because you consume more calories than you burn” There is nothing that states the “CAUSE” of why people over eat, why people are obese. So try again.

BTW: There are certain types of cancers that feed on glucose. If you provide an environment for certain life forms to exist, it's very possible they will gravity towards that environment.

What causes people to overeat? Really? They choose to. I didn't think I had to spell that one out for you or anyone else.

That's also incorrect. Everyone who over eats doesn't get fat. For example children who over eat grow, people who lift weights and over eat grow muscles.

Also incorrect. Children who overeat do get fat. People who lift weights and overeat only gain muscle if they are eating an adequate level of protein to facilitate muscle growth and repair. And they STILL gain fat mass.

Overeating is the problem for obesity.

Once again depends what they eat.

You missed the point. The point was that over eating is a CAUSE of something. The cause is hormones.

Surely you meam that overeating is the EFFECT of something, considering the context of your post.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

You're missing the only point.

Can you please state Taubes as your source. I mean the guy is a quack, but you should at least have enough respect for him as a fictional author to not plagiarize.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The Perricone Prescription is only one source if you take the time to look up articles on the dangers of sugar there are many to back up the fact that sugar has no nutritional value. Also, I did not say that fat was bad, I said SUGAR! And most people on here are overweight from eating too much sugar so it may not be as far out as some are assuming.

Just stop...
  • wheird
    Options
    604gluconeogenesis.gif

Thanks, that's really interesting.

That is mainly to explain the metabolic pathway of amino acids from protein into glucose. It mainly occurs in a low carb/ketogenic diet.
  • emsainz23
    Options

To explain the problem?

People are looking at the energy balance incorrectly. The energy balance equation looks like this. In terms of obesity. FatGain = CaloriesConsumed – Calories Burned. This is proven by mathematics, it’s true. It states if you consume more energy than you burn you get fatter. That’s just stating the obvious.
    Look at it from fat cells growth. FatGain = EnergyInFatCells – EnergyOutOfFatCells. This states, The more fat that goes in to your cells the compared to coming out the fatter you get. Looking at the 2 equations.

FatGain = CaloriesConsumed – Calories Burned
    FatGain = EnergyInFatCells – EnergyOutOfFatCells

Now the beauty of mathematics.

EnergyInFatCells – EnergyOutOfFatCells = CaloriesConsumed – CaloriesBurned. TADA!

Now with that stated, looking at the Fat Cell side of the equation. If we focus on getting fat OUT of the cells, we will CONSUME LESS CALORIES, or we will expend more energy. This is a LAW of mathematics. So the oppsotie would be true, The more energy we put in to our fat cells the fatter we get. The question at the heart of the matter is, “What causes us to store energy in fat cells? Compared to using the energy for growing in terms of children or building muscle as adults? What dictates where the energy goes? Hormones do.

What hormone is in charge of all this, of putting energy in to fat cells? We all know what it is. It’s elevated levels of insulin. What causes elevated levels of insulin? High GI foods. As insulin goes high, it drops, we try to bring it back up by eating again. Thus we consume more energy(calories). It’s the elevated levels of insulin that cause us to over eat. Most of us know that when we eat simple sugars, we get hungry a lot quicker. Alan Argaon(most people know who he is) Vs Lustig. Lustig claims that sugar is the cause of the obesity epidemic. Alan counters with, “no the problem is due to sedentary life style, and an increase consumption of calories.”

This is the data Alan posts to support his claim
    • Meats, eggs, and nut kcals decreased 4%.
    • Dairy kcals decreased 3%.
    • Percentage of fruit kcals stayed the same.
    • Percentage of vegetable kcals stayed the same.
    • Flour and cereal product kcals increased 3%.
    • Added fat kcals are up 7%,
    • Added sugars kcals decreased 1%
    • Total energy intake in 1970 averaged 2172 kcal. By 2007 this hiked up to 2775 kcal, a 603 kcal increase.

Fats and flour/cereal products calories increased as well as fats.
    Look at the GI index of flours. they are HIGHER THAN SUGAR. No wonder why we eat more. We’re just walking around more hungry. Explaining the increase of fat intake? Most high GI foods are laced with high amounts of fats. Think of pastries, cookies, things of that sort. So Alan is incorrect. A lot of the experienced members go to him for advice. They read his crap, and parrot it back on MFP. Then it gets to most of you guys. Most people are too lazy to think, or do their own research. I wouldn’t listen to anyone on MFP with a personal agenda, such as creating groups, building a big following crowd, and selling personal coaching services.

Also think of this, when people reduce calories, doing things like MFP. they reduce total calories. This also lowers carbs. No one cuts down on protein and fats, and increases carbs. There are vegans, but those foods are low GI. So the insulin response isn’t that big.

The issue is that people are walking around with some degree of insulin resistances brought on by dietary habits. This is why we usually eat more. With that stated, there is also genetic factors. Some people do absolutely fine with high GI carbs. We all know those people who eat junk food all day and are rail thin. I personally believe that MOST people have some degree of insulin resistances. It lies on a spectrum, people fall somewhere within the spectrum.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    If God wanted you to eat candy bars he would of made them grow on trees.

So if your diary were open we would only see things that grow on trees, correct?

Just back out quietly and don't make eye contact, you just may survive the afternoon.

WOW! Did you jus' threat OP?
  • emsainz23
    Options

You're missing the only point.

Can you please state Taubes as your source. I mean the guy is a quack, but you should at least have enough respect for him as a fictional author to not plagiarize.

He's not a quack, you just don't understand what he's saying as most people don't understand what he's saying.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

To explain the problem?

People are looking at the energy balance incorrectly. The energy balance equation looks like this. In terms of obesity. FatGain = CaloriesConsumed – Calories Burned. This is proven by mathematics, it’s true. It states if you consume more energy than you burn you get fatter. That’s just stating the obvious.
    Look at it from fat cells growth. FatGain = EnergyInFatCells – EnergyOutOfFatCells. This states, The more fat that goes in to your cells the compared to coming out the fatter you get. Looking at the 2 equations.

EnergyInFatCells – EnergyOutOfFatCells = CaloriesConsumed – CaloriesBurned. TADA!

Now with that stated, looking at the Fat Cell side of the equation. If we focus on getting fat OUT of the cells, we will CONSUME LESS CALORIES, or we will expend more energy. This is a LAW of mathematics. So the oppsotie would be true, The more energy we put in to our fat cells the fatter we get. The question at the heart of the matter is, “What causes us to store energy in fat cells? Compared to using the energy for growing in terms of children or building muscle as adults? What dictates where the energy goes? Hormones do.

What hormone is in charge of all this, of putting energy in to fat cells? We all know what it is. It’s elevated levels of insulin. What causes elevated levels of insulin? High GI foods. As insulin goes high, it drops, we try to bring it back up by eating again. Thus we consume more energy(calories). It’s the elevated levels of insulin that cause us to over eat. Most of us know that when we eat simple sugars, we get hungry a lot quicker. Alan Argaon(most people know who he is) Vs Lustig. Lustig claims that sugar is the cause of the obesity epidemic. Alan counters with, “no the problem is due to sedentary life style, and an increase consumption of calories.”

• Total energy intake in 1970 averaged 2172 kcal. By 2007 this hiked up to 2775 kcal, a 603 kcal increase.

Look at the GI index of flours. they are HIGHER THAN SUGAR. No wonder why we eat more. We’re just walking around more hungry. Explaining the increase of fat intake? Most high GI foods are laced with high amounts of fats. Think of pastries, cookies, things of that sort. So Alan is incorrect. A lot of the experienced members go to him for advice. They read his crap, and parrot it back on MFP. Then it gets to most of you guys. Most people are too lazy to think, or do their own research. I wouldn’t listen to anyone on MFP with a personal agenda, such as creating groups, building a big following crowd, and selling personal coaching services.

Also think of this, when people reduce calories, doing things like MFP. they reduce total calories. This also lowers carbs. No one cuts down on protein and fats, and increases carbs. There are vegans, but those foods are low GI. So the insulin response isn’t that big.

The issue is that people are walking around with some degree of insulin resistances brought on by dietary habits. This is why we usually eat more. With that stated, there is also genetic factors. Some people do absolutely fine with high GI carbs. We all know those people who eat junk food all day and are rail thin. I personally believe that MOST people have some degree of insulin resistances. It lies on a spectrum, people fall somewhere within the spectrum.

TL; DR version-

2pr8wtx.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

To explain the problem?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO1FRUyWm7hYF__F6KLQIFHWAEDpD2iLa0VWeODWqCNOUm6sbo
  • emsainz23
    Options

I lifted since high school. I overate and still got fat.

I should have corrected my post. But I meant to mention high GI foods.

WIth that stated, I bet you a million to 1, you were eating high GI foods when you gained body fat.
    I still eat high GI foods everyday. GI is meaningless in terms of a mixed meal. Do you know how GI is measured?

Yet you also count calories. You think animals in the wild sit there counting calories?

Someone might bring up exercise. saying "The animals are more active." It's commonly known that exercise alone doesn't produce weight loss. It causes people to eat more. The body is trying to maintain homeostasis.

In my "LONG" post. I mentioned genetic factors. You're not obese. You're more than likely more insulin sensitive than people who are average or obese.
  • emsainz23
    Options

To explain the problem?

TL; DR version-

2pr8wtx.gif

It's okay, I understand that obesity and high GI foods kill brain cells. People now a days only understand pictures or videos.
  • wheird
    Options

To explain the problem?

Your understanding of what you just posted is so so so terribly low.

And lol@law of mathematics
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

I lifted since high school. I overate and still got fat.

I should have corrected my post. But I meant to mention high GI foods.

WIth that stated, I bet you a million to 1, you were eating high GI foods when you gained body fat.
    I still eat high GI foods everyday. GI is meaningless in terms of a mixed meal. Do you know how GI is measured?

Yet you also count calories. You think animals in the wild sit there counting calories?

Someone might bring up exercise. saying "The animals are more active." It's commonly known that exercise alone doesn't produce weight loss. It causes people to eat more. The body is trying to maintain homeostasis.

In my "LONG" post. I mentioned genetic factors. You're not obese. You're more than likely more insulin sensitive than people who are average or obese.

I used to be obese. And I consumed all your evil foods too. Still do. Magic
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Animals in the wild are also not surrounded by an infinite supply of food, if they don't catch food they do not eat. Animals not counting calories tells us nothing...
  • emsainz23
    Options

I don't think you understand what overeat means. Also, assume I've never binged in my life if you want. But, I know that if I did ever binge, it was my choice to do so.

You can sit there, having your hormones telling you to eat and eat. Or be hungry. That is a choice. I agree with that. But it's an idiotic choice to sit there and be hungry.