Why is MFP so mean??

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well, for one thing we're hungry and that makes us cranky.

For another many of the ladies here seem to hang with this shady dude named TOM. He seems to put them in a bad mood.

Not hungry here... I just ate lunch and I make sure I get enough calories a day. *shrug* Nice blanket assumption though.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

For another many of the ladies here seem to hang with this shady dude named TOM. He seems to put them in a bad mood.

Not hungry here... I just ate lunch and I make sure I get enough calories a day. *shrug* Nice blanket assumption though.

Think back.. way back to your childhood. Remember something called...

...a joke?
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to the forums and most of the time when I've wanted to ask a question or even comment on something I'm discouraged because some of the forums I have read some people are mean and nasty.

I have no problem when someone posts a link or corrects someone but it seems most of those posts take a turn somewhere and just become personal attacks. Yep I'm a sensitive sally and no I don't like negativity. I think if someone posts something that isn't true then make a post pointing out why it's wrong and leave it at that. Does it really need to go on for 9 pages with people making fun of everyone else and putting people down. If the OP is looking for an argument then why keep responding if you have already made your point? Don't feed into the misinformation of the OP and don't turn everything into a personal attack when they don't agree with you. If they follow bad advice it only hinders their weight loss.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Then why do it? Why keep opening and responding when it's so frustrating that you feel the need to be mean?

at least someone here displays common sense :laugh: :flowerforyou:

This, right here, the implication that no one else here has common sense, this is the kind of thing that causes the nice users to get fed up and start posting gifs. Yet we're the mean ones and you're the nice ones?

well, this is a "mean people defense thread", you are trying to justify being jerks to new people by saying you are frustrated with the question. common sense would suggest to simply close that thread again and not pick a fight, if the whole thing is so tiresome and frustrating to you.

99% are not jerks and do not pick fights. OPs just get butthurt when they get honest and direct answers they don't like. Common sense would be to listen to the majority of the advice, even if direct and not full of sugar, rainbows and unicorn poop, than to get all defensive and call everybody mean.

I disagree with this. If I listened to the majority of the advice I've been given on MFP so far I couldn't eat sugar, grains, or nightshade vegetables. I would need to eat high fat without eating oils and eat only lean meats. I shouldn't eat anything not organic but I shouldn't give up fast food.

This site is amusing, but OMG what a lot of nonsense.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I can agree to that to a point. Being a new member myself, I was pretty shocked at the tone of many of these threads. Sometimes it's funny, and sometimes it is mean and nasty to a disturbing point.

Again, I must wonder why people feel the need to post something over and over again if it is so frustrating that they can't be at least civil. If it was worth sugar coating the first time, why not the 10th or 100th or 1000th time?

Maybe not everyone wants answers sugar coated. If it hadn't been for the so called mean people otherwise known as the people that actually know what they are talking about, I would probably still be trying to eat at too large of a deficit, over exercising, and all the other stupid crap I was doing.

I'll take truth over sugar coated anytime
  • randomtai
    Options

Think back.. way back to your childhood. Remember something called...

...a joke?

:laugh:
    tumblr_mpf3w8d6w41sp9fcho1_500.gif
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, OP, and I fully agree.

For those who are saying that there is never a reason not to be nice...YES there is.

When I joined here 2 weeks ago, I got a massive wake-up call by some very "blunt" people. I asked a few questions (I don't believe they were stupid questions, but they were questions) and got very to-the-point answers, some of which were stated very harshly...some answers made me bawl. lol

I've been babied all my life by everyone (except my fathers, yes plural) who treated me like garbage (story for another website, not this one). Because of how I was treated, everyone else went into overtime "delicate" mode and treated me with more sugar than a stuffed cotton candy machine to make up for "the dads" mistreatment of me; wrong method.

It took me joining MFP at 37 years old... to learn a lesson. Sometimes, it's the people who are NOT nice in their replies, that have the most important message the OP of any given thread will ever hear.

You know what else I've learned since then? *gets all emotional* The majority of the people who were blunt, stand-offish, harsh, and "in my face" 2 weeks ago, are the most sincere, compassionate, kind-hearted people I have EVER met in my life. :sad:

Sometimes, it takes a painfully-worded comment to make the point *stick*. If those people were sugar-coated and "sweet" with me when I joined...I wouldn't be here. I'd be gaining more weight and not giving a crap.

MFP people are actually helping me figure out who I am *because* of their initial "Reeeeeeer"ness. It's because of those initial blunt and in-the-face responses that I have learned to start letting go of my past, letting go of my BS excuses...and I LOVE THEM for it.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I'm a newbie to the forums and most of the time when I've wanted to ask a question or even comment on something I'm discouraged because some of the forums I have read some people are mean and nasty.

I have no problem when someone posts a link or corrects someone but it seems most of those posts take a turn somewhere and just become personal attacks. Yep I'm a sensitive sally and no I don't like negativity. I think if someone posts something that isn't true then make a post pointing out why it's wrong and leave it at that. Does it really need to go on for 9 pages with people making fun of everyone else and putting people down. If the OP is looking for an argument then why keep responding if you have already made your point? Don't feed into the misinformation of the OP and don't turn everything into a personal attack when they don't agree with you. If they follow bad advice it only hinders their weight loss.

How do you survive real life? :huh:
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Perfectly fine because I surround myself with positive people who are blunt without being a**holes. You can offer advice without being mean about it and while some members on here are helpful some are downright nasty just because they like being that way. I suppose you must be one of them. Thank you and have a nice day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Then why do it? Why keep opening and responding when it's so frustrating that you feel the need to be mean?

This, right here, the implication that no one else here has common sense, this is the kind of thing that causes the nice users to get fed up and start posting gifs. Yet we're the mean ones and you're the nice ones?

well, this is a "mean people defense thread", you are trying to justify being jerks to new people by saying you are frustrated with the question. common sense would suggest to simply close that thread again and not pick a fight, if the whole thing is so tiresome and frustrating to you.

99% are not jerks and do not pick fights. OPs just get butthurt when they get honest and direct answers they don't like. Common sense would be to listen to the majority of the advice, even if direct and not full of sugar, rainbows and unicorn poop, than to get all defensive and call everybody mean.

< one percenter
  • randomtai
    Options

Perfectly fine because I surround myself with positive people who are blunt without being a**holes. You can offer advice without being mean about it and while some members on here are helpful some are downright nasty just because they like being that way. I suppose you must be one of them. Thank you and have a nice day.

buhbye-o.gif
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Because we are all HANGRY!!!
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bbb_zps07d0ae47.gif
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

the problem is its the internet you cant cater for all tastes
    for me i like the truth but in a pleasant manner, some like it slapped in their face.
    also because we are hiding behind our computers people may or may not be using a different personality.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, OP, and I fully agree.

For those who are saying that there is never a reason not to be nice...YES there is.

When I joined here 2 weeks ago, I got a massive wake-up call by some very "blunt" people. I asked a few questions (I don't believe they were stupid questions, but they were questions) and got very to-the-point answers, some of which were stated very harshly...some answers made me bawl. lol

I've been babied all my life by everyone (except my fathers, yes plural) who treated me like garbage (story for another website, not this one). Because of how I was treated, everyone else went into overtime "delicate" mode and treated me with more sugar than a stuffed cotton candy machine to make up for "the dads" mistreatment of me; wrong method.

It took me joining MFP at 37 years old... to learn a lesson. Sometimes, it's the people who are NOT nice in their replies, that have the most important message the OP of any given thread will ever hear.

You know what else I've learned since then? *gets all emotional* The majority of the people who were blunt, stand-offish, harsh, and "in my face" 2 weeks ago, are the most sincere, compassionate, kind-hearted people I have EVER met in my life. :sad:

Sometimes, it takes a painfully-worded comment to make the point *stick*. If those people were sugar-coated and "sweet" with me when I joined...I wouldn't be here. I'd be gaining more weight and not giving a crap.

MFP people are teaching me who I am *because* of their initial "Reeeeeeer"ness. and I LOVE THEM for it.

im really happy it worked out so well for you, but remember that not everyone is the same way and some people get offended, discouraged and hurt when being personally attacked for no obvious reason. im not talking about people who say "youre doing it wrong, forget everything and do this instead", by all means, no need to sugar coat. im talking about people who go "*rolls eyes* oh god, another know-it-all who buys into this crap *insert gif*". thats not helpful, thats condescending.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think I got some valuable truths from the forums. Like when I was told just to just go into my gyms weight room and don't worry about the big burly men in there. I did and it was great. :P

I'm still very confused about things like TDEE and BMR and how many calories I can eat and still lose weight but one thing at a time.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. If I listened to the majority of the advice I've been given on MFP so far I couldn't eat sugar, grains, or nightshade vegetables. I would need to eat high fat without eating oils and eat only lean meats. I shouldn't eat anything not organic but I shouldn't give up fast food.

Who the hell is giving out that kind of advice? From what I've seen the majority of the community defends all food in moderation, including sugar, grains and nightshade vegetables (even though I really don't know what that is?), fast food, oils, GMOs, etc. etc. That is the whole point of this website. Of course there are always those few special snowflakes who do defend what you just stated.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    While I'm newer to the forums here at MFP, I've been using forums on other websites for almost 10 years now. One thing I've learned: every site/community has its own feel and its own set of unwritten rules. I've spent some good time reading the "stickies" in the various forum topics as well as a number of threads to see what people are talking about and to get a sensibility for the vibe here.

I really recommend this approach if you're new! Take some time to listen before speaking. You might well find some of your questions have already been asked (and knowledgeably answered).

Good stuff, OP.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Not sure which forums you've been reading but the majority of MFP agrees on not demonizing food. There are those that want to eat 100% "clean" but I would say there are more IIFYMers out there than clean eaters. I don't know, maybe I'm not reading the right forums.