Congratulating MFP friends who make bad choices

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I had 1000 calories at Popeye's Chicken today. Then I had a hard cider in the evening and 2 pork breakfast sausages.

It was all a taste storm in my mouth. :drinker: :love: :smokin:
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    BTW OP, you eat WAY too much fat for how many calories you are ingesting. 100 grams of fat for 1200 calories? LOL

Enjoy that acidic body.

Shows how little you know about dietary requirements. Low fat is the opposite to how you SHOULD eat. My diet is about 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs and I've never felt better, had better bloodwork, or more energy. LOL yourself for not knowing what you're talking about.

You've never felt better because you've lost 50 pounds and that in itself is making you healthier. It has nothing to do with your ridiculous 80% fat diet.

Never said "low fat", bub. I eat 25% fat and I understand perfectly well how fat is important for the body to function normally.

Zach, don't try and reason with shai. They think that tracking calories = eating disorder. :huh:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'll encourage people to stay on the wagon, and meet their goals, and stay motivated and blahdy blah blah, and I'll offer advice when I'm asked for it, but it's not my job to police their diets. I tend to not comment on food diary stuff anyway unless the person has commented themselves asking for input.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't know what's going on in their lives. I think It can work if you have an agreement beforehand.
    I think if you want that sort of motivation and close judgement of your habits, you could ask for it and seek friends who also are motivated that way and have those objectives-like having a thread seeking like-minded individuals, or mentioning it on your profile page. Nothing wrong with that.

I think it's good to some degree, if it allows for some leeway, and considers how often they eat it and how much they are going over calories etc. There was a day once when I was going through some grief in my life with my pet dying, and I wrote that I wanted to write off the day as a cheat day. I'd already had like a 600 calorie slice of cheesecake for breakfast. But there were friends on my list who while sympathetic, encouraged me to keep going despite that, and I did. I ended up saving a crappy food day and making it more balanced with some healthier choices in the end, and even fit in a quick bike ride. I felt a lot better for it.

Otherwise yeah, other people go about it differently and could take offense if you said something like "Hey buddy are you falling off the wagon cause you ate junk all day?"

Because in their mind they might have been having a well earned treat in a well balanced diet, or just one of those people who always mention bacon and ice cream and think junk food's all A-okay if it's within calories and won't possibly effect their health negatively-I tend to disagree with this notion, but hey each to their own, right? :)
    Or they're having a bad day and they don't need a reminder that they aren't on track-like it could make them feel defensive and even worse about it, or they could simply be embarrassed and aware of it and planning to pick themselves up again tomorrow.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    BTW OP, you eat WAY too much fat for how many calories you are ingesting. 100 grams of fat for 1200 calories? LOL

Enjoy that acidic body.

Shows how little you know about dietary requirements. Low fat is the opposite to how you SHOULD eat. My diet is about 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs and I've never felt better, had better bloodwork, or more energy. LOL yourself for not knowing what you're talking about.

You're really in no position to question others' knowledge about weight loss and nutrition considering you claimed that you gained weight while eating at a deficit.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have to admit i haven't read all the posts in this thread, but i did read quite a few.

many of the friend requests i get and posts from people whose intro threads i've seen looking for friends say they're looking for someone to hold them accountable - or however they put it. there are so many such people, and i have to admit that i don't friend them because i don't get how i'd do that, but the original post seems to touch on this particular situation. i don't want to be responsible for reminding someone that having a big mac, fries and a shake 3 times a week pushes them way over their calorie goal, but if you agree to hold them accountable when you friend them, er... wouldn't cheering them on for honest logging be the opposite of what one agreed?

i guess this situation is where my social skills fail me, because i can't see it working either way :(
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a problem around here.

Too many times I see a diary full of McDonalds, and other junk, sweeties and pastries and so called "friends" like the diary and say things like "Great Logging!", "Well done!", or "Yummy day!".

We are all here to encourage each other to become healthier. If your MFP friend is falling off the wagon, it is your job to remind them that they are making a choice that is bad for them. Maybe they are letting old ways creep back in without realising it?

Do your friends a favour and let them know that they are going wrong. I would expect the same for the rest of my friends on MFP. Be hard on me if you see a slice of Pizza or a McDonalds happy meal on my diary!

It's time to stop blindly congratulating people on making bad choices that can ultimately lead to lower quality of life and ultimately, death!

Edit: I know I sound grumpy and normally I am not. Just concerned that's all :)

This is the worst load of crap. If ANYONE thinks they have a right to shame the foods I eat, they better know everything about me and the stuff I'm going through or the things I need to do in order to get through each day without giving up on life. Who the **** are you to say that people need to shame others to keep them on track.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Only Judy can judge me.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a problem around here.

Too many times I see a diary full of McDonalds, and other junk, sweeties and pastries and so called "friends" like the diary and say things like "Great Logging!", "Well done!", or "Yummy day!".

We are all here to encourage each other to become healthier. If your MFP friend is falling off the wagon, it is your job to remind them that they are making a choice that is bad for them. Maybe they are letting old ways creep back in without realizing it?

Do your friends a favor and let them know that they are going wrong. I would expect the same for the rest of my friends on MFP. Be hard on me if you see a slice of Pizza or a McDonalds happy meal on my diary!

It's time to stop blindly congratulating people on making bad choices that can ultimately lead to lower quality of life and ultimately, death!

Edit: I know I sound grumpy and normally I am not. Just concerned that's all :)

I fail to see an issue with an occasional happy meal or slice of pizza if the rest of one's diet is nutritionally sound and within the correct calories. It is that sort of extreme, of cutting out all such things, that often leads people to failure. Personally, I am not that big on McDonalds and pizza, but many here have lost a lot of weight, become healthier and got to low body fat levels while eating ice cream, pizza and McDonalds, because they ensure that they meet their other nutritional requirements.

:drinker: agreed. if it fits your calorie deficit and you mostly have a rounded diet then a little treat isn't bad at all
  • Dourpussdora
    Dourpussdora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is such a harsh post. People make their own minds up about how they wish to lose weight, I know personally if I thought I couldn't still enjoy the occasional "naughty" food id never be able to stick to my diet. You have to still enjoy yourself and the thought of salad for the rest of my life isn't appealing at all!!!!. Ive managed to lose 31lbs by sticking to 1800 cals a day but still enjoying little treats so whats the harm in that?, its working for me and that's all I care about.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Enjoy that acidic body.

You're really in no position to question others' knowledge about weight loss and nutrition considering you claimed that you gained weight while eating at a deficit.
    Reading Alkalize or Die makes one an expert on nutrition.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have a great group of ladies in my friends list. We all have those days where we don't make the healthiest choices, but we encourage each other and celebrate successes, no matter how small. I've only had one semi negative comment on my diary, and that was from a lady who said "I don't like shakes" because I drink protein shakes for breakfast. :huh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    WTH is bulletproof coffee...and why?
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg white delight from McDonalds almost every morning and I'm doing fine with the weight loss. Especially considering that egg white delight used to be two breakfast burritos and a hash brown before I changed my eating habits.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i usually eat very healthy but once in a while i do eat a whole pizza worth 1200-1400 calories and i would not be happy at all to have to defend myself on MFP for it. :laugh:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

It's coffee with butter and coconut oil. Sounds gross, but tastes awesome and it keeps you full for many many hours.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I'm only bulletproof after a few beers. Of course, that seemed to work better when I was younger. It seems that these days I feel more bullet riddled.
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found that the grilled mchicken wrap has 380 calories - it was a great choice for me :) I documented and stayed within my cal allotment for the day I enjoyed mcdonalds!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I must have an awesome bunch of MFP friends. They're all supportive but not a single one of them criticized my choices!