sabotagers... are real

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I didn't really believe that people who care about you really did this... but diet sabotagers are actually out there.
    I spent the day with a friend who doesn't usually eat much (if at all), I divulged to her I was on a serious mission to regain my former healthy weight... she spent the whole day trying to feed me junk food, unbelievable! The person who will sit in a restaurant and eat nothing was suddenly in and out of shops eating cr@p... she even ate two ice creams, all the while trying to persuade me to do the same. At one point she was begging me to eat rum and raisin, making me look at all the lovely flavours and willing me to break!
    What is that all about??

if you told her you were on a serious mission to regain your former weight, then she was trying to help you because "regain my former weight" means get heavier.... i.e. she thought you considered yourself to be underweight and to need to gain weight to get healthy....

Is there some difference in British and American English or something that changes the meaning of the bolded text? Because I really think if that's what the OP said, that her friend may have thought that she *wanted* to gain weight, and that her actions were trying to help.... it's an ambiguous sentence that could be interpreted both ways.

OP: have you even asked your friend about this, i.e. found out what she thought you meant? You could be throwing away a perfectly good friendship over a miscommunication. You're attributing some pretty bad motives to her behaviour, when there could be a much simpler explanation, i.e. she thought you wanted to gain weight. Usually it's best to talk to people rather than ranting about them online. If I was that friend, I would have thought from the words you used above that you wanted to gain weight, and then if you'd not meant that and interpreted my attempts to help you gain weight as sabotage and then ranted about me on the internet rather than talking to me, I'd be extremely hurt, angry and upset. Seriously, talk to her, find out what she thought you meant, if it was a miscommunication then you can both laugh about it and still be friends. Otherwise you're at risk of losing a good friend over a simple miscommunication....
    I thought that, too. Your former weight could mean your heavier one and if you phrased it as "gaining", it could be viewed that way. But then I assumed you were clearer in person.

There are people - even people who love you - that will put you down for dieting.

The sabotaging, insults and put downs, though difficult to hear from people you care about, are much more about them and their emotional problems than they are about you.

People who do that stuff are really telling you that they feel inadequate and insecure. Every attempt to drag you down is motivated by a desire to pull themselves up. I don't know if that helps any.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I didn't really believe that people who care about you really did this... but diet sabotagers are actually out there.
    I spent the day with a friend who doesn't usually eat much (if at all), I divulged to her I was on a serious mission to regain my former healthy weight... she spent the whole day trying to feed me junk food, unbelievable! The person who will sit in a restaurant and eat nothing was suddenly in and out of shops eating cr@p... she even ate two ice creams, all the while trying to persuade me to do the same. At one point she was begging me to eat rum and raisin, making me look at all the lovely flavours and willing me to break!
    What is that all about??

if you told her you were on a serious mission to regain your former weight, then she was trying to help you because "regain my former weight" means get heavier.... i.e. she thought you considered yourself to be underweight and to need to gain weight to get healthy....

Is there some difference in British and American English or something that changes the meaning of the bolded text? Because I really think if that's what the OP said, that her friend may have thought that she *wanted* to gain weight, and that her actions were trying to help.... it's an ambiguous sentence that could be interpreted both ways.

OP: have you even asked your friend about this, i.e. found out what she thought you meant? You could be throwing away a perfectly good friendship over a miscommunication. You're attributing some pretty bad motives to her behaviour, when there could be a much simpler explanation, i.e. she thought you wanted to gain weight. Usually it's best to talk to people rather than ranting about them online. If I was that friend, I would have thought from the words you used above that you wanted to gain weight, and then if you'd not meant that and interpreted my attempts to help you gain weight as sabotage and then ranted about me on the internet rather than talking to me, I'd be extremely hurt, angry and upset. Seriously, talk to her, find out what she thought you meant, if it was a miscommunication then you can both laugh about it and still be friends. Otherwise you're at risk of losing a good friend over a simple miscommunication....

"Regain my former weight" does not necessarily mean to get heavier, despite what the previous poster thinks.

Regain means to obtain something again. If that "something" was a smaller figure, then to "regain" it is to once again become smaller.

Stop being so literal.

Both definitions are actually correct, it just depends on the context.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What is that all about??

"Regain my former weight" does not necessarily mean to get heavier, despite what the previous poster thinks.

Regain means to obtain something again. If that "something" was a smaller figure, then to "regain" it is to once again become smaller.

Stop being so literal.

What if the OP's friend took it literally too? I said the sentence was ambiguous (which means the meaning is either not clear or could be taken in two different ways). If the OPs friend took it the same way I did (too literal or not) then the OP's basically destroying the friendship by ranting on here rather than talking to her friend about it...

I know what the other way that the sentence could be taken means. I said it was an ambiguous sentence, which it is. It can be taken two ways. A friendship is at stake here... to lose a friendship over a simple misunderstanding would be pretty tragic, IMO
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Why does there have to be an 'and'? :smokin:
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What is that all about??

Stop being so literal.

Who said both definitions couldn't apply (perhaps you missed the word "necessarily" in my post)?

The fact is that if both could apply, you use the one that applies to the OP, and not say the friend is trying to help you fatten up since that's what you requested.

Oh, and let's apply Occam's Razor here.

What is more probable? That the OP is trying to gain, or that the OP is trying to lose? Bear in mind that this friend probably knows more about her personal history than any of us here do.

Everyone's twisting themselves into pretzels, trying to fit this scenario into their box, regardless of how likely it is.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What is that all about??

Stop being so literal.

Who said both definitions couldn't apply (perhaps you missed the word "necessarily" in my post)?

The fact is that if both could apply, you use the one that applies to the OP, and not say the friend is trying to help you fatten up since that's what you requested.

if what the OP said to her friend was ambiguous too, and the friend thought she meant she wanted to gain weight, then the whole thing is a misunderstanding. The OP needs to speak to her friend and find out what she thought she meant. I'm not posting this to be pedantic - I'm trying to point out that the friend could have totally misunderstood and have been trying to help all along....

really I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone... I'm actually trying to point out something that may save a friendship...
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The ONLY person that can sabotage your diet is the person you see in the mirror.
  • jc_0324
    Options
    It's her insecurity... don't tell people you're dieting, sabotagers come in every shape and form. I have learned my lesson ions ago. I don't even tell people when I exercise anymore.

I don't understand it because I am the total opposite. I encourage, never discourage.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

j5wc4i.gif
    2pyouhk.gif

Anchorman and fudge in the same comment. You win at life.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, when a lot of people claim their friends, SOs and peers are insecure, it's actually they who are insecure themselves. Insecure about dieting, losing weight, and getting in shape. Therefore, they take everything as a personal attack, insult or sabotage. My mom offers me food every time I visit her, and she knows I don't eat the way I used to. Is she trying to sabotage me? No, she's just a good mother who is nice enough to offer me food.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, when a lot of people claim their friends, SOs and peers are insecure, it's actually they who are insecure themselves. Insecure about dieting, losing weight, and getting in shape. Therefore, they take everything as a personal attack, insult or sabotage. My mom offers me food every time I visit her, and she knows I don't eat the way I used to. Is she trying to sabotage me? No, she's just a good mother who is nice enough to offer me food.

This.

Or she could have just been teasing you. /shrug
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is full of defensiveness. If my friends offer to feed me or share their sustenance with me, I always accept a bite. They were happy to share and I had the chance to taste, it's a win-win. I will log it at night, take a ten minute stroll before bed, and move on,

FYI, in many Far Eastern cultures sharing a meal is an expression of love and friendship. Eating alone or refusing food can even be perceived as isolationist or awkward. All you have to make sure to do is be strong enough not to overly indulge.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What is that all about??

Stop being so literal.

What is more probable? That the OP is trying to gain, or that the OP is trying to lose? Bear in mind that this friend probably knows more about her personal history than any of us here do.

Everyone's twisting themselves into pretzels, trying to fit this scenario into their box, regardless of how likely it is.

You seem unnecessarily invested in a situation that doesn't impact you in any way. Someone offered an alternative viewpoint to the "sabotage/insecurity/jealousy" mantra that gets repeated around here every time someone complains that they were offered food. Her friend got food and offered her some - this is normal behavior amongst humans, as eating food in front of someone without offering to share or inviting them to join you for the meal is generally considered rude.

One of the problems with tracking your food and being aware of what you are eating is that you are aware of what you are eating, much more so than you were when you were gaining. OP is obviously going to notice offers of food much more now than she would before, as well as how much people around her eat and what they eat. We all go through it at some point. How you interpret those offers of food is completely individual, and not all of us share the "they're out to get me" mentality.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What is that all about??

Stop being so literal.

You seem unnecessarily invested in a situation that doesn't impact you in any way.

It doesn't "impact" you any more than it does me. I see you're still typing. Or perhaps, due to your prestigious post count, you feel your opinions are more warranted?
    Someone offered an alternative viewpoint to the "sabotage/insecurity/jealousy" mantra that gets repeated around here every time someone complains that they were offered food. Her friend got food and offered her some - this is normal behavior amongst humans, as eating food in front of someone without offering to share or inviting them to join you for the meal is generally considered rude.

If you want to take the time to re-read what this "someone" said (I'm no longer interested in continuing this), they were implying that the friend wanted to help her gain weight. That's a bit different than just sharing food out of courtesy. Good try though.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What f@cked up friends some of you have...

The worst I've ever encountered is some mild teasing or someone waving a french fry in my face, which is always a joke and is pretty easy to "resist."

Make new friends or maybe have a heart to heart. I wouldn't feel too bad about telling them they have problems and letting them know I won't be seeing them much in the future.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Ahh I love the smell of a Sabotage thread on a Saturday...smells like...I dunno, chocolate.

I very much doubt your friend was trying to sabotage you. Most likely you're oversensitive. Maybe your friend was teasing you a little and taking the piss. Lord knows my friends and I do that to each other all the time.

Also, I've never understood why people have to make an announcement to everyone they know when they decide to lose weight. This is your struggle and your responsibility alone. Just do it and don't make a big deal of it

200_zps4ffface0.gif
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    2 points:

Number 1. I think when we embark on a lifestyle change we truly start to notice everything food related more. Some of us turn into robots with calorie counting screens in front of our faces.

Number 2. All the smart arses coming up with all sorts of metaphors to why it's not sabotage, I would be interested to know your stance on this if the substance in question was not food, but heroin.

Food is an addiction.

Personally, I think maybe just find an activity to do with her that doesn't involve too much food. Anyway, if she is a real friend it won't be deliberate, or hell maybe it is. Maybe she knows how food has made you so happy in the past and doesn't know any other way to put extra smiles on your face. Good luck with everything x
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This drives me NUUUUUUUTS!! My boyfriends father made us dinner the other night. It wasn't healthy but I left plenty of room in my calories because I knew it wasn't going to be. No big deal... until they learned I was on a diet (cough my boyfriend let it slip cough cough) and then started offering me every freaking sweet they had in the house. This went on for ten straight minutes before my boyfriend finally had to flip out to get them to stop. They thought they were being funny or something?

I think some people are just ignorant and they think because they don't see you eat that means you aren't! or if they see you snacking on carrots that must be the only thing you've eaten all day so they try to shove food down your throat. In the same day I've been chastised for eating something too UNHEALTHY to lose weight and also for NOT eating enough. (And then rolled my eyes through a lecture about it)

Everyone thinks they know best or think everything is a joke. It's frustrating. I definitely feel you!