Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Completed W1D2 last night. My legs were still a little sore/tired from the first days run (Tuesday night) but still pushed through and completed it. Looking forward to Day 3 tomorrow. I made a new running playlist which should definitely help the time go by. I'm curious if I'm running at an average pace. Distance wise, I went 1.84 miles W1D1 (27:11) and 1.76 miles W1D2 (25:35). Can anyone else doing week 1 share their distances so I know if I'm running at a good pace. Thanks!
    Given the combination of walking and jogging in the early part of the program, I think it will be hard to comment on your pace. In reality, however, at this point, it really doesn't matter. You should be running at a pace that is comfortable for you and enables you to complete that day. I wouldn't work about speed until you finish the program. This is just my opinion... Good luck!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Completed W1D2 last night. My legs were still a little sore/tired from the first days run (Tuesday night) but still pushed through and completed it. Looking forward to Day 3 tomorrow. I made a new running playlist which should definitely help the time go by. I'm curious if I'm running at an average pace. Distance wise, I went 1.84 miles W1D1 (27:11) and 1.76 miles W1D2 (25:35). Can anyone else doing week 1 share their distances so I know if I'm running at a good pace. Thanks!

Two things should help you

If you are sore do NOT run. You need your body to repair itself, a few extra days at the start will not make a jot of difference towards in the end. You should have at least one days rest between the run sessions. Some people do run on successive days but they have been running for a long time. If you run while sore you stand more chance of getting an injury. Your body gets stronger on the rest days in response to the training stimulation supplied on the run days.

You are on a beginners programme, speed comes with doing longer distances. Do not compare yourself to others, it is your journey and yours alone. On your run intervals you should be able to hold a conversation with someone, if you cannot you are going too fast, slow down. As a result you are more likely to repeat the programme without repeat days. The programme is there to get you used to the running motion and the stresses it places on your body. It is not about speed.

I am curious are your doing distance or time because I would expect one or other to remain constant whereas you seemed to have varied both time and distance?
  • stmadoesboy
    stmadoesboy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Didn't think it could be done but I'm sitting here having completed week 9, day 2 yesterday. Ran a 5k in 26:48. When I started, I really struggled to get my breath at even the 1min jogs. IT CAN BE DONE PEOPLE. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

I still struggle during the first 5 mins of each run with the "voices" telling me my legs are sore or I'm not getting my second wind or I should just walk... but once I get through those early stages, it gets much easier. (Just discovered in the last couple of runs that an iPod helps drown out those "voices") ????

Looking forward to my last run on Tuesday before I start on a programme to get me up to 10k. And coming from someone who has never really liked jogging/running, that's a complete turnaround.

Good luck C25K-ers
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Distance wise, I went 1.84 miles W1D1 (27:11) and 1.76 miles W1D2 (25:35). Can anyone else doing week 1 share their distances so I know if I'm running at a good pace. Thanks!

The main thing is to complete the time, it's really not important at this stage what pace you're doing. Once you can run for 30 minutes continuously then you can start to think about getting more time on your feet and increasing your pace
  • danifarias
    Options
    Some people do run on successive days but they have been running for a long time. If you run while sore you stand more chance of getting an injury.
    Had to stop in the end of W2 because I ran with a sore knee, thought it was part of it. Result, 2 weeks without even being able to walk or climb stairs properly, it hurt even when turning in bed. I have a doctors' appointment tomorrow to check it - not hurting anymore, but now I am scared of running again and damaging my knee once more.
    I had difficulty understanding what's workout pain and injury pain. Never again. :/
  • howardheilweil
    Options
    Didn't think it could be done but I'm sitting here having completed week 9, day 2 yesterday. Ran a 5k in 26:48. When I started, I really struggled to get my breath at even the 1min jogs. IT CAN BE DONE PEOPLE. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

I still struggle during the first 5 mins of each run with the "voices" telling me my legs are sore or I'm not getting my second wind or I should just walk... but once I get through those early stages, it gets much easier. (Just discovered in the last couple of runs that an iPod helps drown out those "voices") ????

Looking forward to my last run on Tuesday before I start on a programme to get me up to 10k. And coming from someone who has never really liked jogging/running, that's a complete turnaround.

Good luck C25K-ers
    Great job!

By the way, I finished C25K almost a year ago and still hear those voices when I start out. I am training for a 10K next month and when running yesterday, I targeted 6 miles. Like you said, when I started out, I convinced myself that I wouldn't finish... legs were tired, I was out of breath, had a stomach ache, etc... When after the first mile, I felt great. I ran 6.15 miles and could have kept going. Great job!
  • stmadoesboy
    stmadoesboy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great job!

By the way, I finished C25K almost a year ago and still hear those voices when I start out. I am training for a 10K next month and when running yesterday, I targeted 6 miles. Like you said, when I started out, I convinced myself that I wouldn't finish... legs were tired, I was out of breath, had a stomach ache, etc... When after the first mile, I felt great. I ran 6.15 miles and could have kept going. Great job!

That's reassuring to read that it's not just me (about the voices!!!????). Well done on the 6 miles. I'm looking forward to stepping up the distances and hopefully improving the 5k time too.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I will be starting Week 5 today. I am very much enjoying it (I never thought I would say that...) and I have a question.

I have heard it recommended that the running intervals should be done at conversational pace. Why is that? My natural tendency is to go a bit faster to the extent that I can say a few words if I had to but my breathing is heavy. I manage to recover sufficiently within walking sections to do the other intervals and in my off days I can recover so I am fresh for the next workout.

Will I benefit from deliberately slowing down?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I have heard it recommended that the running intervals should be done at conversational pace. Why is that?

What you need to find is a pace that you can sustain for a reasonable period, and being able to speak a sentence at a time is generally seen as a reasonable benchmark for that pace.
    My natural tendency is to go a bit faster to the extent that I can say a few words if I had to but my breathing is heavy. I manage to recover sufficiently within walking sections to do the other intervals and in my off days I can recover so I am fresh for the next workout.

I would suggest just judging your progress as you go onto longer sessions, if that pace isn't sustainable then ease back a little.

What I do now is, because I always run alone, count out loud if I'm wanting to gauge effort. Generally only when I'm out on the trail though.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have heard it recommended that the running intervals should be done at conversational pace. Why is that?

What you need to find is a pace that you can sustain for a reasonable period, and being able to speak a sentence at a time is generally seen as a reasonable benchmark for that pace.
    My natural tendency is to go a bit faster to the extent that I can say a few words if I had to but my breathing is heavy. I manage to recover sufficiently within walking sections to do the other intervals and in my off days I can recover so I am fresh for the next workout.

I would suggest just judging your progress as you go onto longer sessions, if that pace isn't sustainable then ease back a little.

What I do now is, because I always run alone, count out loud if I'm wanting to gauge effort. Generally only when I'm out on the trail though.

Cheers. That makes sense.
  • egocentronix
    Options
    Good Morning All!

Keep up all of the good work.. I'm planning on starting in about an hour and a half.. Hopefully there aren't any issues..
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    How do you keep track of the time or distance?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    How do you keep track of the time or distance?

Personally when I was doing C25K I used Runkeeper on my phone. I've subsequently moved to using a Garmin GPS but I didn't bother with that until I was well into Half Marathon distance training.

Alternatives would be Endomondo (good in my experience)
    Strava (good but probably not for the casual user)
    Runtastic (Killed my phone battery and has a complex pricing model)
    MapMyFitness (unreliable in my experience)

I'd recommend Endomondo or Runkeeper for most people.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone but I do have a gps. I am not sure how that would work.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I will be starting Week 5 today. I am very much enjoying it (I never thought I would say that...) and I have a question.

I have heard it recommended that the running intervals should be done at conversational pace. Why is that? My natural tendency is to go a bit faster to the extent that I can say a few words if I had to but my breathing is heavy. I manage to recover sufficiently within walking sections to do the other intervals and in my off days I can recover so I am fresh for the next workout.

If you try reading this it will give you more insight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Have fun
  • egocentronix
    Options
    Ok, so finished up Day 1 on my lunch break.. Managed to cover 1.25 miles in the 30 minutes. Hoping to increase that a little bit next week. Had some pain in my shins, but nothing major and I don't think I overdid it. But, I feel sorry for the poor treadmill, I think it got more of a workout than me. haha.. I sweated a lot more than I thought I would. But, glad that Day 1 is done and I'm not discouraged about carrying on.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    WOW! today i started week 2 day 1, and didnt realise how much different jogging 90seconds would be to jogging 60 seconds.

i managed to do the first 4 runs but then had to give up, breathing was all out of wack like it was on week 1 day 1. i was pretty gutted though realise i only had 2 more runs to do before the cool down walk

so will be redoing W2D1, am thinking i should start with this rather than doing my usual warm up on the bike like i dad today.
  • howardheilweil
    Options
    WOW! today i started week 2 day 1, and didnt realise how much different jogging 90seconds would be to jogging 60 seconds.

i managed to do the first 4 runs but then had to give up, breathing was all out of wack like it was on week 1 day 1. i was pretty gutted though realise i only had 2 more runs to do before the cool down walk

so will be redoing W2D1, am thinking i should start with this rather than doing my usual warm up on the bike like i dad today.
    How long to you ride the bike before running? I don't know that I'd do that.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    How long to you ride the bike before running? I don't know that I'd do that.
    [/quote]

i ususally start every gym session off with 35mins on the bike then hit the treadmil. this was not a problem during week1 but today i really felt it. so im think on C25K days ill just start on the treadmil and the do the bike after if i can still use my legs lol
  • jcenalover42377
    jcenalover42377 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im at Week 5 Day 1 and love it. I have had to do one day 2 or 3 times until i felt i was ready for the next run but i do love it. I signed up for a 5k in November. That should give me enough time to be ready for it. But, you can do it and be proud of yourself.