Next time you go to subway

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't care if what the OP said is true or not.. have you walked into a subway and smelled it? that right there is enough for me to turn around and walk out..

Subway = :sick:

Literally the last 2 times I ate subway, i was sick.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    Why is this in Fitness and Exercise??
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes??
    My friend owns a subway- I can double check from her- but I can promise you she's never done that at HER"S.
    and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes? PS I eat food off my floor at home all the time- and I'm pretty sure cats are not remotely close to sanitary.
    Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced.
    and you're point? The meat I buy for dinner comes prepackaged- and sometimes when i'm lazy?? PRESLICED!!!
    There is nothing authentic about subway,
    it's a hoagie- not a cultural appreciation stop.
    and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

the air you breath is significantly full of chemicals as well- I guess you should just stop breathing too.
    Lolz
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't care if what the OP said is true or not.. have you walked into a subway and smelled it? that right there is enough for me to turn around and walk out..

That's me. I don't eat a lot of fast food, and when I do, it's usually local, but my lord that "bread" smell makes me want to hoark.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    I feel as though when you have nightmares....they're made of local deli/cheese shops. Oh no! Not sliced lunch meats!

*Dum dum dum*
  • fire7ice
    Options
    and in some countries: someone picks up other people's leftover KFC meals from the rubbish... washes the leftovers... refries them.... and sells them cheaply to people who can't afford to go into KFC. And they think the food is heavenly and worth buying :)
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I haven't been there in a while but I don't think it smells bad. In fact it makes me more hungry.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was horrified when I went to Subway the other day and this woman complained about her bread being "flat" (they squish it when they slice it, but whatever), AFTER the worker had already put meat in it. She then took the meat out and but the bread BACK IN THE CONTAINER. As a vegan, that's disgusting. I'm never going to that Subway again and probably not any other one either. Typically when I go the workers change gloves moving from a meat to non-meat sandwich, but this was gross, and if it's common practice, I'm done with them.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

That's me. I don't eat a lot of fast food, and when I do, it's usually local, but my lord that "bread" smell makes me want to hoark.

"Ok what/who smells like nasty foot??!!"
    *silences*

*raises hand* "

"Me....I went to subway today...sorry guys"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I swear the smell of subway sticks to you till you take a shower after going to their store. I still go every once in a while but it makes me chuckle everytime since someone actually said this to my husband once.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It's Subway, what do you expect?
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Subway is getting me good money for working part time while waiting for college. I would obviously not throw them under the bus in real life but these are internet forums and are anonymous.. haha. I, for one, wouldn't eat at subway after I worked there just as someone who worked at McDonalds wouldn't eat there anymore.

I beg to differ...I've worked at McDonald's (in high school and college). Been out in the real world for years now and still eat McDonalds. No problems...
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    I was horrified when I went to Subway the other day and this woman complained about her bread being "flat" (they squish it when they slice it, but whatever), AFTER the worker had already put meat in it. She then took the meat out and but the bread BACK IN THE CONTAINER. As a vegan, that's disgusting. I'm never going to that Subway again and probably not any other one either. Typically when I go the workers change gloves moving from a meat to non-meat sandwich, but this was gross, and if it's common practice, I'm done with them.

I would have said something about that to be honest. That's just wrong.

I was some place waiting to get a coffee and I saw the guy who was serving me sneeze, blow his nose and then start reaching for my cup. I looked at him and said "I hope you're going to wash your hands first." And continued to watch him until he did.
  • sti1imatic
    Options
    I have worked in restaurants and fast-food restaurants... Food touches the floor all the time. Regardless of how much you pay someone, there will always be people out there who just don't care because they do not know who you are. Hell, I dropped a hamburger off the grill one day and put it right back on. Some of my friends saw. We just played Russian Roulette of who we would give it to.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've just been there...

Any sandwich that I'd make myself would be prepared with unwashed hands from ingredients (most likely) past their sell-by dates. As for bread dropped on the floor, I've taken mystery pills that I found on the floor at school hoping they'd get me high. Do you think a little dust on my bread really fazes me?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, where do you live? Town and state, please. I need to make sure to never ever go to your Subway!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY??? And name me one food establishment is the world where a disgruntled customer or employee has not made similar remarks. I have heard far worse from friend who years back worked in other food establishments.

I guess we should have all known the second something throws the name of a place into the title, that someone has and axe to grind. How this has ANYTHING to do with Food & Nutrition is beyond me.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    shamrock you're playing the world's smallest violin
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Meh. IMO Subway has subpar subs, but they'll do in a pinch, and I've never noticed any unpleasant smell at a Subway. Whether OP's post is true or not (I dunno), you pretty much roll the dice when you go out to eat anywhere. A friend who used to work at Round Table shared with me her horror stories, and when I was a teenager I used to work at a fast food restaurant that had a salad bar that was REALLY disgusting...I haven't been able to look at a salad bar the same since.

However, for the most part I tend to lean more towards the optimistic viewpoint that what I'm served has been handled properly. While I don't eat out as much as I used to, I've eaten out A LOT in my nearly 50 years and I'm still alive and kicking, so all is good.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    I've just been there...

Any sandwich that I'd make myself would be prepared with unwashed hands from ingredients (most likely) past their sell-by dates. As for bread dropped on the floor, I've taken mystery pills that I found on the floor at school hoping they'd get me high. Do you think a little dust on my bread really fazes me?

And again, how you prepare the food in your own house is your prerogative. You're not giving the general public the sandwich you just made. It's ludicrous to go to an establishment and watch the faulty food handling and think "meh. I do the same thing at my house so who cares." You don't know what sort of cross contamination is happening that could make someone very, very ill. We've all done the "five second rule" in our own house but I certainly wouldn't do that if I saw the person making my sandwich drop it on the floor, dust it off and then expect me to pay for it. Even when I prepare my own meals I do my best to not cross contaminate foods. Am I 100% perfect? No. I might forget to wash my hands while making a sandwich but I make darn sure that when I handle raw meat I wash my hands and scrub down any surface that meat has touched. I also won't eat meat that's a little sketchy (my husband on the other hand, that's a whole other story :laugh: )

There's a local restaurant that my husband and I used to go to. They made good pizza and they were close -- only 20 minutes away (which is close for us). We found out that he was cutting up raw meats on the cutting board used for cutting vegetables and using the same knife. He went ballistic on an employee for dumping a batch of veggies that she just got finished cutting up into the garbage because they were cross contaminated with raw pork. There were several other things that he did that could cause someone to become very ill. We no longer go to that restaurant for that reason. He's probably like you. It's stuff that he does in his own house and just figures it doesn't matter. With any luck word of mouth -- or someone getting violently ill -- will put him out of business.
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Subway and they are so strict on hygiene.
    Out of date food is never used, not even if it goes over by one day.
    Anything that is dropped on the floor goes in the bin immediately, my hands used to get chapped from the amount of time we HAVE to wash our hands.

Yeah I know all the food isn't the healthiest or nicest but there's no need to take to an online forum to try and taint a business with false accusations just because you had a bad experience.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    I used to work at Subway and they are so strict on hygiene.
    Out of date food is never used, not even if it goes over by one day.
    Anything that is dropped on the floor goes in the bin immediately, my hands used to get chapped from the amount of time we HAVE to wash our hands.

Yeah I know all the food isn't the healthiest or nicest but there's no need to take to an online forum to try and taint a business with false accusations just because you had a bad experience.

OP claims to work there and the practice they are talking about is implemented by the manager and they HAVE to do it that way.

S/he would rather sit quite and wait for someone to get violently ill than speak up and lose h/his job. Which I doubt they would if they were to speak up. Chances are the manager would be the one to get fired. But if s/he's willingly going along with the manager then perhaps they should be fired as well.