1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I tore my pec with a spotter. On Monday, my spotter thought I was gonna fail 245 and I said "I got this" in mid rep. I got stuck and the mid point. I also only rest for put weight on + 60 second phone timer. I know that my tank was empty at that point I just wanted to see were I would fail.
    How did that pec tear feel? Did it come as soreness later? Or was it a sharp immediate pain?

What I do when I hit the maximal level efforts, I'll stop doing supersets, or filler stuff like dips and pushups, and then push out my rest to 2 minutes +, don't want to be too depleted. (Although most of my non-trainer gym sessions are fasted.)
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    never thought about this. I think this is another gimmick to sound like more. I have been in the 1000lb club for some time now. I been lifting for a year. Though if you really think about it depending on your weight doing a heavy bench is like doing a push-up.

funny to see some of the different weights people are doing. For example I never do my max reps, I just go as heavy as I can and do my reps and sets. Here is my list strongest to weakest. 495 squat, 405 dead, 275 bench. Again these are not my max but what I use for reps and sets.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Think I need to work on tucking my elbows and blasting my triceps.

stupid 200. I WANT a TWO PLATE BENCH DAMNIT.

Dips lady. On my bench days I'll put in a good amount of accessory work for endurance. Dips though are something I do to fill the void between exercises, get down and do 30 or so against the bench. Then once you're done with all that, do a couple sets of deep dips on your way out of the gym. Then do some pushups (until failure).

I also do some lat and delt stuff, but the dips I think have been really helpful. As well as the pushups.

LOL_ I just won our gyms "Max out Monday" competition for body weight dips.

I'm so embarrassed- it was 17- but only like 2-3 girls did it. The winning guys tied at 59.

So shameful. one day I'll be able to do 25... then maybe 35. ;) then one day!!!! FIFTY! MUAH HA HA HA HA

I have bad elbows- so tricep work is hard for me- and I pinched my neck nerve doing dips (it wasn't the dip itself- that was just the catalyst- it was from ONLY doing one sided alternate grip DL that build my traps/shoulders slightly different- the dip just shifted things LOL)

Anyway- they are coming along again now that I'm healed up- I am going to be excited to shift to a new program in 2-3 weeks- goal being to do more accessory work I think- want more shoulder and back work- I'm not getting enough.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I tore my pec with a spotter. On Monday, my spotter thought I was gonna fail 245 and I said "I got this" in mid rep. I got stuck and the mid point. I also only rest for put weight on + 60 second phone timer. I know that my tank was empty at that point I just wanted to see were I would fail.
    How did that pec tear feel? Did it come as soreness later? Or was it a sharp immediate pain?

What I do when I hit the maximal level efforts, I'll stop doing supersets, or filler stuff like dips and pushups, and then push out my rest to 2 minutes +, don't want to be too depleted. (Although most of my non-trainer gym sessions are fasted.)

I still remember the exact workout because I was pissed.

I did 135x10
    155x7
    190x3
    attempted the last two rep with a spotter thinking he would help. I was wrong. On rep five came down to chest and tried to explode. It was a loud pop like I though someone drop a 45 in mid set. It went no where. Zero in my tank again and spotter was too weak to do anything so I still was lifting with a tore pec while he tried to do whatever he was at lifting. I learned about spotting that day. The pain was not immediate but then when I saw no one looking funny for dropping weight I assume I made the popping noise. My shoulder was burning a little bit. I was at a gym that would not give me ice. I just left and drove home then the pain came. I was in tears. when I got home and thought I just sleep it off since I had work tomorrow. My older brother recommend me go to the ER. I waited for six hours in the ER in pain when through like 8 of there ice packs.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Jesus dude, that's horrific.

If I can make a suggestion? Work some endurance work. So you can get back in and survive those maximal effort days without getting pinned with a bad spotter. (I know, injuries are a different ball-o)

How long did it take to heal up?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Anyway- they are coming along again now that I'm healed up- I am going to be excited to shift to a new program in 2-3 weeks- goal being to do more accessory work I think- want more shoulder and back work- I'm not getting enough.

Cool, just get in them, and the pushups. Pair with some lat and delt blasting and you should be able to throw those weights around. Also, do you use a PL setup for bench? I've been trying to figure that one out.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Jesus dude, that's horrific.

If I can make a suggestion? Work some endurance work. So you can get back in and survive those maximal effort days without getting pinned with a bad spotter. (I know, injuries are a different ball-o)

How long did it take to heal up?

I completed that same workout 17 months later from surgery day and it was such a milestone. I was keeping track.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    what is everybodys routine that you do?

For me on bench i start with flat bench
    Monday was
    135x10x2
    230x5
    260x5
    300x7

then 170x10 for 5 sets

then incline 145x 10 for 3 sets

145x10
    195x10
    215x10
    235x10
    285x10
    305x7
    325x5
    375x1
    395x1
    415x1: didn't lock it out
    360x4
    235x10
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Is anyone at the 1000 pound club sum for the 3 big lifts? Bench Press+ Squat+ deadlift.

I will actually test myself next week to see if I am there.

Also what lifters are the strongest out of those three? It has been said that the strongest should be deadlift then squat then bench.

Actually hit it within the past few weeks with my deadlift hitting 405. I'm at 1035 now!
  • jonlfischer
    Options
    Is anyone at the 1000 pound club sum for the 3 big lifts? Bench Press+ Squat+ deadlift.

I will actually test myself next week to see if I am there.

Also what lifters are the strongest out of those three? It has been said that the strongest should be deadlift then squat then bench.

Actually hit it within the past few weeks with my deadlift hitting 405. I'm at 1035 now!

Nice job man
  • dbmata
    Options

Monday was
    135x10x2
    230x5
    260x5
    300x7

then 170x10 for 5 sets

My session is all over thanks to supersets.

Saturday was:
    45# db press for 20
    Shoulder superset
    30 dips on the bench
    45# db press with pause for 15 (Oh look, bench and barbell is open. Moved to bench.)
    Shoulder super set
    95x50
    Shoulder superset between each set
    135x30 for 2 sets
    30 bench dips between each set
    145x20
    dips
    170x10 for 2 sets
    dips in between
    175x10 for 2 with pause
    185x5 with pause
    195x5
    200x3
    Finish out with bis and tris, then some russian twists
    I was shooting for 200 reps and 200#. I fell a little short, probably because I was fasted.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Monday was
    135x10x2
    230x5
    260x5
    300x7

then 170x10 for 5 sets

Saturday was:
    45# db press for 20
    Shoulder superset
    30 dips on the bench
    45# db press with pause for 15 (Oh look, bench and barbell is open. Moved to bench.)
    Shoulder super set
    95x50
    135x30 for 2 sets
    145x20
    dips
    170x10 for 2 sets
    dips in between
    175x10 for 2 with pause
    185x5 with pause
    195x5
    200x3
    I was shooting for 200 reps and 200#. I fell a little short, probably because I was fasted.

Wow I though I had pretty decent muscular endurance. Nope. Not even close.
  • jonlfischer
    Options

Monday was
    135x10x2
    230x5
    260x5
    300x7

then 170x10 for 5 sets

Saturday was:
    45# db press for 20
    Shoulder superset
    30 dips on the bench
    Shoulder super set
    95x50
    135x30 for 2 sets
    145x20
    dips
    170x10 for 2 sets
    dips in between
    175x10 for 2 with pause
    185x5 with pause
    195x5
    200x3

I usually hit the gym fasted. Around 6am. What are your goals?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wow I though I had pretty decent muscular endurance. Nope. Not even close.

I'm also damn sexy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I usually hit the gym fasted. Around 6am. What are your goals?

I usually hit it around 3pm, fasted, unless I'm working with my coach, then I make sure I get in about 1k cals prior to the session. I do less than that, and I never get my wind back once we get moving.

Goals:
    Increase in maximal strength (obviously), primarily though, strong dynamic strength and muscular endurance for extended periods of maximal effort. Alpine climbing, spot and stalk hunting, triathlon, and if I can get my knee rehabbed in time, fall or spring rugby.
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'll throw my routine out there just because it's so much less volume than some of the above, lol. I usually hit the garage about 5:30am fasted.

Monday:
    Deadlifts - Work up to heavy single and drop back for 2-3x5. This week was 415x1, 365 2x5
    Bench - Work up to heavy single or double and drop back for reps. This week was 275x1, 225 2x5

Wednesday:
    Front Squats - 3x3. Maybe a heavy single as well depending on how I feel. This week was 275 3x3.
    Push Press - 3-4x2. Again maybe a heavy single. This week was 195 3x2.

Friday:
    Back Squats - Work up to heavy single and drop back for 2-3x5. This week will be 405x1, 315 2x5.
    Usually either cleans or wide grip pull ups. Cleans are usually done as singles. Pull ups 3-4 sets AMRAP.

I do very little else, lol. But it fits my family life and schedule.
  • jonlfischer
    Options
    I'll throw my routine out there just because it's so much less volume than some of the above, lol. I usually hit the garage about 5:30am fasted.

Monday:
    Deadlifts - Work up to heavy single and drop back for 2-3x5. This week was 415x1, 365 2x5
    Bench - Work up to heavy single or double and drop back for reps. This week was 275x1, 225 2x5

Wednesday:
    Front Squats - 3x3. Maybe a heavy single as well depending on how I feel. This week was 275 3x3.

Friday:
    Back Squats - Work up to heavy single and drop back for 2-3x5. This week will be 405x1, 315 2x5.
    Usually either cleans or wide grip pull ups. Cleans are usually done as singles. Pull ups 3-4 sets AMRAP.

Nice routine man...you have to find what works for you. I like simple myself.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Monday was
    135x10x2
    230x5
    260x5
    300x7

then 170x10 for 5 sets

Saturday was:
    45# db press for 20
    Shoulder superset
    30 dips on the bench
    Shoulder super set
    95x50
    135x30 for 2 sets
    145x20
    dips
    170x10 for 2 sets
    dips in between
    175x10 for 2 with pause
    185x5 with pause
    195x5
    200x3

This was WAY too much volume and BS work to be productive. If you want to improve your lifts then train to improve your lifts. My last bench day looked like this:

Bench Press
    45x60
    135x20
    225x3
    315x3
    365x3
    405x2
    315x5
    315x5
    315x5

Barbell Row
    315x10
    365x10
    405x10

That's it. Work up to a heavy set of three on bench press, drop the weight to approx. 80% of my top weight and do some volume sets and finish it up with some barbell rows. If you want to build muscle and strength you need to keep your training sessions simple and focus on improving the amount of weight you lift or the amount of reps you can perform. Make a list of 2 or 3 lift variations to use in place of bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press and barbell row and cycle them. For example, for my bench press I cycle bench, narrow grip bench, incline bench and bench press with chains. I'll do 1 bench press variation and just focus on hitting more and more weight for anywhere from 5-2 reps and then when I stall I'll swap to the next bench variation. I do the same thing with my accessory lifts.

Moral of the story: KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Exactly, gotta find what works for you.

I have the luxury of being able to take a good period of time for a gym session, because I work early hours, no kids, and a wife who works normal hours. It's also better for me to do this than to either keep working, or playing games and drinking beer. ;)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Monday:

Wednesday:

Friday:

I just saw this. This is a pretty good program. Just keep it simple and modulate volume and intensity :)