1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You're right - thanks. I've already seen what happens when I don't give it enough time to heal.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    So, I figure I'll throw this out there. Thinking of trying a PL competition just for S&Gs, it's deadlift only.

I figured just basically to get up there and get ready for it, I'd do more deadlifts, basically anything over 300#, pin pulls with 3 plates +, banded deadlifts if I can rig it up, or pick up some chains if I can't.

Any other recs? I figured a 2x per week DL pattern, with medium weight one session, heavy weight the next, keeping reps per set fairly low around 5 once I get into the work.

Or, take the dl section from 5/3/1 for Powerlifting.

I do the t nation 5/3/1 for big lifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I throw in OHP I am short by 15lbs,

oh getting saucy!!!!

My OHP is lame duck sauce- so I try not to think about it. mumble-under100mumble

Same, last I did it, I was doing 95, and I looked like I was having a seizure.

that's about what mine is- but I haven't tested it- I can do reps around 70/80- but they aren't pretty- and failure is quick after that- I want to say 95 is about what I'm comfortable with- its' good 'for a girl' I suppose- but I would think I should be able to put up more than LMAO.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I was going to make a tranny joke, but realized I'd probably be the only one who thought it was funny. lol.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So, I figure I'll throw this out there. Thinking of trying a PL competition just for S&Gs, it's deadlift only.

I figured just basically to get up there and get ready for it, I'd do more deadlifts, basically anything over 300#, pin pulls with 3 plates +, banded deadlifts if I can rig it up, or pick up some chains if I can't.

Any other recs? I figured a 2x per week DL pattern, with medium weight one session, heavy weight the next, keeping reps per set fairly low around 5 once I get into the work.

If doing Pin Pulls start below knee. I do both variations from time to time...just to feel the weight
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lol. I'm chasing the 500 lbs club. I doubt it's possible for me to hit 1k without some....ummm... Supplement help.

^^ this is me too haha

I'm right at 450 haha -- when/if I get to 500 ... I'll be thrilled :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    If I throw in OHP I am short by 15lbs,

oh getting saucy!!!!

My OHP is lame duck sauce- so I try not to think about it. mumble-under100mumble

Same, last I did it, I was doing 95, and I looked like I was having a seizure.

that's about what mine is- but I haven't tested it- I can do reps around 70/80- but they aren't pretty- and failure is quick after that- I want to say 95 is about what I'm comfortable with- its' good 'for a girl' I suppose- but I would think I should be able to put up more than LMAO.

I think part of it is that lift mechanic is so freaking funky. Even after watching it, when I try to do it my body is like... lulwut?
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Currently at B245
    S345
    D500
  • dbmata
    Options

If doing Pin Pulls start below knee. I do both variations from time to time...just to feel the weight

Yeah, below the knee. It's amazing how much harder those seem than just a normal dl.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    im 30 lbs shy

i like using 1/2/3/4 for the 4 main compounds more as a indication of strength as with the 1000 lbs club you can completely neglect a main lift and still hit it. if your bench is sub 200 but your dead and squat make up for it your golden, 1/2/3/4 allows no such comprimises.

plus 1/2/3/4 covers OHP in the spread
  • dbmata
    Options
    Currently at B245
    S345
    D500

Super Mario!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Yeah, below the knee. It's amazing how much harder those seem than just a normal dl.

Can i take a guess it's because you use less legs in pin pulls? I never heard of this exercise.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Not even close. 445 Just started lifting a few weeks ago for the first time in over a decade.

S - 135
    B - 105
    DL - 205

Haven't tried to max any of them yet.

1000 lbs is something i look forward to.

ETA - OHP - 90
  • dbmata
    Options
    Can i take a guess it's because you use less legs in pin pulls? I never heard of this exercise.
    Hm, maybe? I'm not sure honestly. I wonder if the motion for the lift starts in a point of mechanical weakness.

3 plates was quite horrific, although I can do that with a full DL easily. Even my grip was funky weak.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Not even close. 445 Just started lifting a few weeks ago for the first time in over a decade.

S - 135
    B - 105
    DL - 205

ETA - OHP - 90

You will get muscle memory back on your side. I had to restart once I injured myself at 95x3x10. Physical therapy was when you can do 10 push ups you can start lifting again.
  • dbmata
    Options

S - 135
    B - 105
    DL - 205

ETA - OHP - 90

Nice man, you can do it. With your DL at 205, you should be able to get that squat moving up soon enough I think.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hm, maybe? I'm not sure honestly. I wonder if the motion for the lift starts in a point of mechanical weakness.

3 plates was quite horrific, although I can do that with a full DL easily. Even my grip was funky weak.

yeah- rack pulls and pause pulls are to train the weak points where people struggle- that mid way section- you are specifically hammering THOSE muscles so they can pull the weight- not just from the bottom.

I do rack pulls AND pause pulls coupled with my regular deads- some days I only do rack/pause pulls- no full range at speed (well technically a pause is full- but different)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

yeah- rack pulls and pause pulls are to train the weak points where people struggle- that mid way section- you are specifically hammering THOSE muscles so they can pull the weight- not just from the bottom.

I do rack pulls AND pause pulls coupled with my regular deads- some days I only do rack/pause pulls- no full range at speed (well technically a pause is full- but different)

For now my grip holds me back on dead lifts. I refuse to use straps.
  • dbmata
    Options
    chalk up.

I have a hard time with grip over 315, chalked though my 425 was totally doable.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

S - 135
    B - 105
    DL - 205

ETA - OHP - 90

Nice man, you can do it. With your DL at 205, you should be able to get that squat moving up soon enough I think.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy so far.
    Had a knee injury, which for some reason does not like squatting, but it's getting stronger and better each day.
    Once it's healed fully i'm sure I'll squat into the 500lb club.