Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member

Really, so If all I ate was sunflower oil, say 1000 calories worth, I should have no problems with my body or the weight coming off. Interesting.
    [/quote]

Do you know what macros are or is it reading comp?
    [/quote]

People are posting the following to lose weight. Calories in VS calories out..
    and you don't' need to be mind full of macros to loose weight.
  • You are a brave, brave soul. I don't have nearly enough time to go into everything I think on this subject, but I'll throw in these two cents:

I work in the biomedical research field (cancer). About two months ago, the director of the NIH came to my university to give a talk about many many things. Among the data he presented was the risk factors for various types of cancer. Everyone knows smoking is number one for lung cancer; the number two risk for colorectal cancer was processed meat (and the risk of cancer increased with any amount of processed meat consumed).

What about fish?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Define "healthy."

You know what it is. Don't be snide.
    There's nothing snide about asking for a definition. As with everything, there need to be standards in place to enable a discussion which several parties can understand the same way; common ground. See the WHO definition on page 3 that I posted.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    So OP is complaining that when someone asked for weight loss advice, and she gave them irrelevant cleaning eating advice, this advice was pointed out as being irrelevant.

And this was wrong because...?

Isnt it linked though? If eating cleaner helps you get more food, which is better for you , provides more energy, keeps you feeling fuller for longer, then that helps with being able to stick to your diet and aids weight loss. Notwithstanding the overall calorie deficit.

Btw as someone new to MFP is this one of those recurring threads?

much so...id pick a side and buy the cool banners
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    OP, if yours was the first post I read after joining MFP I would have deleted my account and ate a few donuts in misery. Your post does more harm than good. Yes, eating healthy is optimal, but eating processed food isn't so horrible. Especially for those just starting out.

Some people (like me) have to work up to stuff like that. Eating the same foods that you ate before, in less quantities, is a great way to start losing weight. A lot of people have to take baby steps and this is a baby step. Down the road, once they've conquered the quantity control, they can then start incorporating healthier choices until they're eating more healthy foods and less processed foods.

It's exactly how I lost weight and why I kept at this and have maintained for a few years.

You yelling and ranting that they're doing it all wrong is NOT going to help anyone.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Hmmm. You are what you eat.

Guess I'mma bowl of count chocula. ♡ yum yum yum

wanna share that and I'll share my Milk Duds with you??

Yes plz:flowerforyou:

Then, we can have some

otonfa.gif

that would be perfect IF we could add bacon to it! Otherwise, I am falling for youuuuuuu!

I'll get it started

2rpwklz.gif:heart:

Omg...can I pleeeease join in on this?! I promise I won't become clingy afterwards.

2aioe43.gif
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Yeah...I get it. I agree with you. I have to pay attention to all the macros, not just calories. If I focus on strictly calories in/calories out, I won't lose. I especially have to watch my sodium, which as we all know is very high in processed foods. Now, don't get me wrong, I still eat processed foods. I just try to eat less of them, because in order to lose weight, I have to! Not to mention, I am prone to go way over my calorie limit when I eat processed foods, because I'm hungry an hour later.

Now, I know plenty of people who swear by the calories in vs calories out (regardless of quality) method. Maybe that works for others, but it doesn't work for me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    So is this subject a regular popcorn event on MFP? Im surprised its controversial.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Yeah...I get it. I agree with you. I have to pay attention to all the macros, not just calories. If I focus on strictly calories in/calories out, I won't lose.

if you burn more than you consume....you will.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    ab2cd168062aaeb89116482abc58479d.jpg
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    I recently posted on a thread about someone who is having a hard time losing weight - upon looking at their diary, it showed that they consume a decent amount of processed, convenience, and fast foods. My advice was that they should consider really eating more fruits/veggies etc. I used the term "clean eating". Lo and behold, the inevitable comment came in response to my suggestion; I believe the exact quote was "Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is."

I am going to lose my mind if I hear or see this comment again! I realize that for so many people the goal is to shed pounds, and I'm all for that! Obviously, losing the extra pounds is the first thing that is going to happen when converting to a healthy lifestyle, and it's mandatory in order to decrease the likelihood of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's not the point of all of this. Food can be the best, most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison. The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

It is dangerous and counterproductive to suggest that it doesn't matter what you put into your body. I expect backlash to this rant, and I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong - but you ask any single expert, or even just a health conscious person out there and they will say the exact thing I've just said. No one can dispute this.

I dont think anyone who is debating this has thought about it 100% or they may be taking it personally? *shrug* Umm... Duh, yes you do have to consume less calories to lose weight; but do you want to keep it off? be realitively healthy IN ADDITION to being thin/of an acceptable weight/ height ratio??? Maybe you should have said that... LOL. I dont eat 100% clean because I dont want to put in the $ or energy and plus I like to eat just as much as the next person, but I can tell you now- if I DID put in the energy I would get exactly what I put into it. The person eating CRAP (as you mentioned earlier) and can't figure out why they arent losing weight? yeah, they may want to re-evaluate their diet. I am in agreement with you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Define "healthy."

Well, if you actually need me to define "healthy" for you, then here it is:

adjective, healthier, healthiest.
    1. possessing or enjoying good health or a sound and vigorous mentality:
    "a healthy body; a healthy mind."

That's how the dictionary defines. If that doesn't satisfy you, then my definition of healthy is being able to sleep restfully through the night, having the energy to make it through the day without needing to consume caffeine/sugar, pooping regularly, feeling positive, and happy, and knowing that, barring any chronic/unexpected diseases, you are going to look forward to long life.

If neither of those help you in your search for healthy, I'm not sure what will.
    You're missing quite a few that help to determine actual health: weight, physical exercise, environment, risk behavior (IE smoking, drugs), genetics, and stress.
    You could do all that you've mentioned above and not resolve the ones I've mentioned and be unhealthy.

BTW I meet the criteria you mentioned while still eating processed foods as well as fast food a couple of times a week. And I'm sure there are A LOT more on here that do to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member

Really, so If all I ate was sunflower oil, say 1000 calories worth, I should have no problems with my body or the weight coming off. Interesting.

Do you know what macros are or is it reading comp?

People are posting the following to lose weight. Calories in VS calories out..
    and you don't' need to be mind full of macros to loose weight.

Weight loss is strictly CI:CO. For overall health and body comp you need your macros. And you can balance macros whether you eat "clean" or not.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Define "healthy."

You know what it is. Don't be snide.

I wasn't being snide, it's a valid question. If you are going to label someone as healthy, you need to have specific, measurable criteria as a basis for comparison to determine that label. If you read through and see the OP's response, her criteria are completely subjective and based on her views. Not to mention that people doing the things she is railing against could easily meet those same ambiguous criteria, making her entire argument completely worthless.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

much so...id pick a side and buy the cool banners

Thanks for answering. The racoon and popcorn is a good one.
  • campiee4
    campiee4 Posts: 3 Member
    I think it comes down to an individual's goals. Are they losing weight as part of an overall plan to become healthier? Or, do they just want to look better and hope some health benefits come with dropping the weight?
    For me, I want to live a long, healthy life. Avoiding the chemicals in processed foods is a part of the plan, in the same way that exercising daily, and getting to (and maintaining) a healthy weight are part of the plan.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Guess I'm a Chinese Cheeseburger since I eat those things on a regular basis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm sorry...I do agree that people should eat more healthfully...eat more whole, nutritious foods and get in plenty of fruits and veggies and lean proteins and healthy fats...but you can be quite healthy and still eat the evil refined sugar and still eat white flour...it's that nonsense that does a total disservice to "clean eating"...it isn't and doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I eat round 6 servings of veg daily and a couple servings of fruit...plenty of lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. But guess what...some of what I eat is processed...I I like having a cookie or some ice cream or candy for desert i the evening. Not only am I in good health, my health marker have gone from abysmal to optimal on all accounts...even though I eat white flour tortillas with my burritos and such. I'm extremely fit and good and lean...this all or nothing mentality is what discredits the whole clean eating crowd. It's just stupid and completely lacking in common sense.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Guess I'm a Chinese Cheeseburger since I eat those things on a regular basis.

ohhhh you eat chinese and cheeseburgers. i thought there was some new food out there and i knew nothing about it
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    tumblr_mmxloiapfq1s1k3jho1_500.gif

Glazed?? LIke donuts? Those are healthy right? I mean.....no one can dispute that, right???

I'm a donut.

Mmmmmmm!

Agreed!! You are deliciousness wrapped in awesomeness!! I'd take a bite outta you even if you weren't healthy :blushing: