Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm a Chinese Cheeseburger since I eat those things on a regular basis.

ohhhh you eat chinese and cheeseburgers. i thought there was some new food out there and i knew nothing about it
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmxloiapfq1s1k3jho1_500.gif

Glazed?? LIke donuts? Those are healthy right? I mean.....no one can dispute that, right???

I'm a donut.

Mmmmmmm!

Agreed!! You are deliciousness wrapped in awesomeness!! I'd take a bite outta you even if you weren't healthy :blushing:
  • NetflixAndChocolate
    Options
    If you have nothing nice to say , say nothing. People find eating healthy tough. You dont HAVE to rant.

(-on the side ,i agree. Just didnt need to be said)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Glazed?? LIke donuts? Those are healthy right? I mean.....no one can dispute that, right???

I'm a donut.

Mmmmmmm!

Agreed!! You are deliciousness wrapped in awesomeness!! I'd take a bite outta you even if you weren't healthy :blushing:

Well...this thread just took a naughty turn :smokin:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I connected with a personal trainer for a first meeting, and he was talking about the importance of eating clean.

I told him that if it meant that I had to give up my tim hortons coffee and subway meals, then no way, but that I am learning (still learning) how to pick smarter foods to make me feel hungry longer. Less junk, more chicken.

I am improving on the quality of the food that I eat, and it's being done out of necessity to stick within a specific calorie budget (and not be hungry).

He said that he juices everything -even makes his own almond milk. Nothing processed. He figures he's going to live to 120.

I said that I want to enjoy life NOW... so could he tell me what the T-70 plan was? Is that a lil processed with some healthy thrown in? He laughed, but didn't realize I'm serious.

I'm all about eating smarter, feeling full, being healthy... but I am also all about going out for ice cream with my girls, or having my coffee in the morning. Getting that cappuccino or donut.

Besides... what if I pick the T-120 plan and spend all that time and effort, and then get hit by a bus next week? a) that would really suck and b) I could have enjoyed a donut between now and then.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    The only clean eating I practice is washing my produce before I eat it.
    And then follow that with ice cream.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options

...and this about sums it up. You know what they say about opinions & this is MFP, sooooooooo. :drinker:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    He said that he juices everything -even makes his own almond milk. Nothing processed. He figures he's going to live to 120.

I wouldn't be able to make my own almond milk. Doesn't he know how hard it is to milk almonds?! They have such tiny udders.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get it. I agree with you. I have to pay attention to all the macros, not just calories. If I focus on strictly calories in/calories out, I won't lose.

if you burn more than you consume....you will.

If it were that easy, I would be skinny. If that works for you, then that is excellent. I must be the exception to the rule. I have tried to lose weight every way imaginable (with the exception of surgery). I'm not saying I eat clean. I still eat some processed foods. I am just saying, I personally need to pay attention to the whole picture in order to be successful. Counting calories alone will sabotage me every time. I have learned this by trial and error. I am sorry if you don't believe me, but it is true.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Healthy body fat percentage.
    Fit enough to perform well in daily life, walk a few blocks, up a couple of flights of stairs.
    Strong enough to again, live life, be able to lift groceries and children, move small pieces of furniture, etc.
    Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure
    Acceptable blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels
    Healthy positives moods the majority of the time
    Able to function emotionally in daily life
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is.

Really, so If all I ate was sunflower oil, say 1000 calories worth, I should have no problems with my body or the weight coming off. Interesting.

No, you'd be dead. But the same would hold if all you ate was 1000 calories of lettuce. or 1000 calories of bananas.

You've posted a strawman - an imaginary ridiculous position because no one, NO ONE, is suggesting you only eat one food item.
    Weight loss is ruled primarily by maintaining a calorie deficit. You should also eat food that is principally fresh and varied but in no way has eating some "fast food" within that variety been shown to create some crazy risk.

OP is wrong.

The single most important health risk factor for an overweight population is the extra weight - reducing that provides more clinically verifiable health benefits than "clean" eating.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get it. I agree with you. I have to pay attention to all the macros, not just calories. If I focus on strictly calories in/calories out, I won't lose.

if you burn more than you consume....you will.

If it were that easy, I would be skinny. If that works for you, then that is excellent. I must be the exception to the rule. I have tried to lose weight every way imaginable (with the exception of surgery). I'm not saying I eat clean. I still eat some processed foods. I am just saying, I personally need to pay attention to the whole picture in order to be successful. Counting calories alone will sabotage me every time. I have learned this by trial and error. I am sorry if you don't believe me, but it is true.

It doesn't negate the fact that thermodynamics rules weight loss.

Sustainability is a very important factor to overall success but that doesn't change the fact...
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

You know what it is. Don't be snide.

I wasn't being snide, it's a valid question. If you are going to label someone as healthy, you need to have specific, measurable criteria as a basis for comparison to determine that label. If you read through and see the OP's response, her criteria are completely subjective and based on her views. Not to mention that people doing the things she is railing against could easily meet those same ambiguous criteria, making her entire argument completely worthless.

But your response was swift and you know you have come across this argument before, so you knew what was meant by "healthy". So we don't really need to define healthy, per say, but rather what she meant by it. I believe she is saying that a reasonable diet should be nutritionally sound as opposed to all junk and processed food. This has been called eating healthy in nutrition circles. So what is it? I myself believe and practice balance and limitations. I know I cannot partake in ice cream at all 3 meals and hope to keep my health in check. I cannot buy a tub of lard and eat 2000 calories of it daily and hope to live very long. My body would not get it's much needed nutrients. Would I still lose weight in a deficit of purely lard? I don't think so. My machine would not be getting the proper fuels needed for it to function. I know this is extreme, but it is the very thinking being propagated by so many that do not know better. I totally believe in having a well rounded eating plan, even with pizza, chips at times, meat and so on, BUT IN MODERATION. We need to stop calling these treats, we are not circus animals. We don't really deserve treats after how some of us have treated food and become morbidly obese, myself included. Cheat days? What is that? Who are we cheating? We have weight to lose! And using food as a reward? Don't get me started on that.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Fit enough to perform well in daily life, walk a few blocks, up a couple of flights of stairs.
    Strong enough to again, live life, be able to lift groceries and children, move small pieces of furniture, etc.
    Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

So, if someone has depression and cannot function emotionally in daily life, they're unhealthy?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    In honor of this thread, I had three servings of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for dinner. I'm sure I'll be dead by morning as a result, but death sure did taste good going down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To recap, this is not based on a debate about whether there are good reasons (personal goals to improve fitness, for example, or to improve health or to stay satiated) to eat one way vs. another. I am sure everyone agrees there are, even if we might disagree on the details.

This is about a poster who said, in essence, I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing, why not?

The correct answer to that question is either (a) you aren't logging correctly, or (b) you have a health issue. If (b), it will aid her to log as correctly as possible and know her actual calories before going to the doctor, so people gave her advise on how to log.

The OP seems to claim that the answer that the poster should have been given is that she was eating the wrong food. In other words, that you can genuinely eat 1200 calories of Lean Cuisine and Panda Express or whatever and not lose, because magical processing trumps calories and makes them behave as if you are really consuming 2500. (If this is so, that would be good to know, as I'm sure it would have other uses. I'm pretty skeptical, however, as it makes no sense at all.)

I honestly don't understand how anyone can defend the OP's argument here, as it seems obvious to me that she is not merely saying that what you eat matters for health or nutrition or so on (which I expect everyone agrees with, but again disagrees on the details--like whether greek yogurt will kill me faster and, if so, whether it is because of the dread processing or the fact I'm not a baby cow). She is saying that we should have LIED to the poster and told her that you can't lose weight on 1200 calories unless you eat unprocessed foods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure
    Lol, no sex?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

...and this about sums it up. You know what they say about opinions & this is MFP, sooooooooo. :drinker:

Well to keep on theme...........I'm not sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The single most important health risk factor for an overweight population is the extra weight - reducing that provides more clinically verifiable health benefits than "clean" eating.
    Yep. Number indicator for health risk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

So, if someone has depression and cannot function emotionally in daily life, they're unhealthy?
    Well, unhealth can include illness/disease, so yes. Depression is an illness.