What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• arsherma
    arsherma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One thing I am proud to say I have given up is Pepsi. I've only had maybe one this month. I used to drink at LEAST 2 20oz. per day. Since I have been serious about really trying to lose weight, I noticed I am not as tired.
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I'm large enough and the program is new enough that I have plenty of calories to play with, and even so, I have to beware the nighttime munchies.

I have given up alcohol, and I do miss it, but what are you going to do? I was missing more important things (like not being uncomfortable all the time because of some issue or another related to my weight) when I was giving myself carte blanche to indulge.

I also gave up animal-based (i.e., non-marine) protein, but that's more to support my husband's health than my own. It does make it easier to maintain that calorie deficit, and given the rising price of groceries it has absolutely helped our budget, so it's been easy enough for me.

I'm thinking about giving up all sugars after I leave the dinner table, so no sugary nighttime snacks. Even natural sugars like fruit seem to be triggering me for more sugar. I'm not sure yet, I'm becoming aware of it and paying attention and we'll see.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    And to those who haven't given up anything..... a quick question.

When your allowed calories fall between 1400-1700 per day, would you still be meeting your goals (based on your diary today)?

I'm currently maintaining and trying not to do so by not logging (it's a bit of a nail-biting experience so far).
    While I was losing, though, I logged daily and I measured & weighed my food to learn to "eyeball" portions realistically. What I'm going to say is about the time that I was losing, logging and sticking to my daily calorie limit.
    My calories were set to about 1350 (without workouts; set to sedetary) and MFP slowly decreased that amount as I lost weight. I ate back about half of my exercise calories, more only if I was truly hungry.
    I didn't give up any foods but I became aware of what I was eating, which meant cutting back on junk & fast foods. If I went out for burger & fries, I pre-planned that for a weekend excursion and "saved" a few calories each day the week before and ate low calorie breakfast & lunch on the day of. That way, even if I went over a little bit on calories for that specific day, I was still within my calorie limit for the week, which I found to be the more important limit.
    I found that the daily limits were good to monitor myself and learn about portion sizes but that within that scope, I had "hungry days" and "not so hungry days" and that the balance was more important over time (a week) as this is a more "normal" way of eating (when not losing).
    My most important discovery on MFP is awareness of what I'm putting in my mouth. Junk & fast foods are okay but they need to be more monitored and planned for. They can't be eaten everyday or in any portion.
    I don't know if that answered your question. I never really gave up any food; just cut back on the junkier ones so that they were a once a week or less treat rather than the norm.
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have not given up ANY foods. I just eat less of it, like you're supposed to.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Nada...I just don't eat them as often. IIFYM=If it fits your macros. Eat healthy most of the time and still squeeze in a treat.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The real question for me is what haven't you given up lol. I no longer eat: chips, fries, soda, ice cream, cakes, fast food, mayo, coffee creamer, and salad dressing. I don't miss any of it really, except the occasional craving for mcdonald's but that goes away when i eat something. I'm sure there's more but can't think of any atm.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    I prefer to say I choose not to eat. For me personally its mainly just junkie stuff and if I am honest about it; mostly stuff I really was not to wild about in the first place. Just a few examples ice cream, bagels, most desserts and candies etc.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. If I gave something up I'd just want it that much more. I limit how often I eat the foods that are high in calories, but definitely still eat them.

Also, I'd rather learn how to eat those foods in moderation now than to struggle with it later and put weight back on once I've lost all the weight I want to.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One need not "give up" any specific food. One may choose to avoid a food that is a trigger to over consumption for them. For example, peanuts and I have a troubled relationship. So do butter and I. I haven't given up either one of them but I sometimes find I must avoid them altogether to stop over-consuming them.

On the other hand, if one is trying to lose weight and therefore eating at a calorie deficit, one is wise to have a greater proportion of that diet devoted to consuming foods that are nutrient-dense yet lower in calories to allow one to eat enough to be satisfied.

I'd love to have a huge stack of pancakes with syrup and butter for breakfast every day because ...well, who wouldn't? Better yet if accompanied by several rashers of bacon. But I don't do that because a nice bowl of yogurt with fruit and whole grain cereal mixed in is "better for me" in terms of fewer calories, better nutrients and fiber.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    NONE just reduced quantity

29509743.png
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I still eat anything I want to, just less of it and sometimes variations of it so I can stay within my macro and calorie goals. The only think I "gave up" is trans fat but, that has nothing to do with my weight loss goals.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    chips.
    I am not one for sweets, I LOVE chips. I could eat my weight in chips & salsa. *sigh*
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    None. :smile: Because it's not necessary. :smile:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I gave up anything labeled "diet" or "fat free"
  • FemWeight
    Options
    I've cut back on my "candy" intake . I've had a huge sweet tooth for to dang long lol. That and reducing my intake and my snacking way to dang much.

My problem was watching tv with my hubby and we would be snacking during shows. NO more of that just a lovely glass of cold water .

I think it all depends truly on looking at ourselves and asking what can I honestly do to help myself whether it be food binging or the way we feel about ourselves.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i gave up ice cream for the first couple months. it didn't make me crave it - in fact, it was probably the opposite. it's still a food that i don't keep in the house though.
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't given anything up for good. I still allow myself the stuff I crave from time to time, however I have gone from drinking Coke almost daily to having it every couple of weeks. Also, fast food (and eating out in general) is a huge weakness for me. I have found it immensely helpful to have a meal plan created that I make sure I stick to otherwise I am in great danger of telling myself that I am too tired to cook so we can have take out. But like I said, I do allow myself a treat meal or snack every once in awhile. I am almost always within my daily calories, but if I go over every now and then it's not a huge deal. I just make sure to get back on the wagon the following day.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    nothing
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up anything. There were things I stepped back from, so I could get a handle on everything, but now I don't avoid anything. If I want it and it fits in my calories, I will have it.

I guess the one thing is pizza, and that's really b/c it's too greasy for me now, and I only ever want 1 slice (and it's a complete waste of money to buy a pizza for 1 slice). So I have to wait until someone else will order one, and chances are the toppings they want, aren't the same that I want. So I chuck it up as a loss.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Give up the food you eat the most. Will do wonders.