In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Replies

• northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.

You can't see ketones in your pee, sorry.

Sorry to call you on this, but the most common cause of oily urine is ketones in urine. These appear in individuals with uncontrolled diabetes and also during periods of starvation or a stringent dietary regimen. Now why they appear in someone like the original poster who claims to be consuming enough carbohydrates is another thing all together.

Nope, that bit is about ketoacidosis, an unhealthy condition of extreme ketosis. It has been my understanding from LOTS of reading, that ketones are water soluble and at nutritional ketosis levels are not visible in urine. The stuff in this post is most likely just normal fats and protein (chyle) that tend to separate out when urine sets (like milk and cream). But I dunno. I'm not a doctor. She should go see one.

• Fair. However, OP has no form of diabetes as far as we (and her - based on her claim that she is perfectly healthy) can tell.

P.S. I always find it weird when someone has their first post in threads like this.

That is fine you find it weird. This just happened to be the first topic on the list as I was reading tonight. I only know about the oily appearance of ketones in urine from my wives health issues as of late. Dunno if its the actual ketones you are seeing or some by product of the over all issue.

And I agree 100% on the see a doctor comments. There are far to many variables that could be in play..
  • northbanu

Fair. However, OP has no form of diabetes as far as we (and her - based on her claim that she is perfectly healthy) can tell.

P.S. I always find it weird when someone has their first post in threads like this.

That is fine you find it weird. This just happened to be the first topic on the list as I was reading tonight. I only know about the oily appearance of ketones in urine from my wives health issues as of late. Dunno if its the actual ketones you are seeing or some by product of the over all issue.

And I agree 100% on the see a doctor comments. There are far to many variables that could be in play..

Are you telling me that a doctor told her she was looking at was ketones? Because if I just google your words, that exact phrase comes up on WebMD.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.

You can't see ketones in your pee, sorry.

Sorry to call you on this, but the most common cause of oily urine is ketones in urine. These appear in individuals with uncontrolled diabetes and also during periods of starvation or a stringent dietary regimen. Now why they appear in someone like the original poster who claims to be consuming enough carbohydrates is another thing all together.

Strong first post. No.

Most urine has some oily aspect if allowed to sit - it's related to urobilinogen, urea and other lipoproteins. For ketones to film up, the amounts present in urine need to be quite high and are unlikely in someone who is not diabetic or carb restricted as the OP reports.

If it quacks like a duck but has no feathers it's not a platypus.

The OP has done no ketone test and the OP has ruled out carb restriction or diabetes - its likelier to be excess lipoproteins. Chyluria or lipuria are possibilities.

Now here is the thing - these point to a variety of possible diseases. OP should see a doctor. You know, to get her urine tested. Not random guesses by Internet strangers.

edit: 'and' changed to 'as'
  • northbanu
    Hey Zach, wanna stop reading my mind? :smile:

• Fair. However, OP has no form of diabetes as far as we (and her - based on her claim that she is perfectly healthy) can tell.

Are you telling me that a doctor told her she was looking at was ketones? Because if I just google your words, that exact phrase comes up on WebMD.

I copied it straight off a urology board I had followed sometime back while researching my wives issues. It more than likely sites the same information as WebMD. Id gladly show you the board :) . But what I was saying was the only reason I knew about an oily look to urine was from the issues my wife was having. It was one of the symptoms that turned out to be Diabetic ketoacidosis which she has issues with.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    30 grams of carbs is low enough to be in Ketosis - I know people who are in it at 40 grams. Maybe see a doctor if it is something else.

some people go into ketosis in higher numbers of carbs a day as well. it doesn't have to be a super low amount.depends on the person but you can't see them in your pee. I know I register low on the ketone scale at 50 or 60 net carbs a day. It also takes a lot of protein before your body starts changing it to glucose. it's not a minimum amount that is needed to be in ketosis.
  • EvgeniZyntx

Fair. However, OP has no form of diabetes as far as we (and her - based on her claim that she is perfectly healthy) can tell.

I copied it straight off a urology board I had followed sometime back while researching my wives issues. It more than likely sites the same information as WebMD. Id gladly show you the board :) . But what I was saying was the only reason I knew about an oily look to urine was from the issues my wife was having. It was one of the symptoms that turned out to be Diabetic ketoacidosis which she has issues with.

But I bet at that level it was not an isolated symptom. Your wife and the OP are not in the same situation. And the WebMD entry is ... gasp .. incorrect. It's the likeliest reason in a diabetic patient but once you've ruled that out (based on unique reported symptom and OP's insistence - not necessarily the most clinically certain) there are a lot of other reasons for oily urine.

Even albumin excess (my research area was albumin cellular adhesion processes - 20 odd years ago) will give an oily sheen in urine.
    The prevalence of diabetes is high but OP should see a doc if it's sufficient to warrant concern to post here.

irrelevant to this thread.

I was simply responding to someones question as to how I came to my opinion and if the DR said seeing ketones, I never said they were seeing ketones, as I do not believe they are visible to the eye. Just that them present in high levels can cause something to present an oily substance in the urine..

* There Zach I think I explained better what I meant *
  • northbanu

Yeah, ketoacidosis is not the same as "ketosis" though it is just an extreme form of ketosis. OP is not diabetic, she's not going to see ketones in her urine, and her diet isn't conducive to nutritional ketosis. She prolly just googled and found the same board that you and I did and jumped to conclusions.
  • astartig
    well a quick way to find out for sure would be to get a ketosis test. there is a test that also tests glucose which will you tell you ifyou're in ketoacidosis or not. easy peasy definite way to figure it out for sure. but yeah.if you are even questioning if it's possible.. Get to a freaking emergency room! that's not something you mess with.

but on with the gifs

agJIP.gif
  • Yeah, ketoacidosis is not the same as "ketosis" though it is just an extreme form of ketosis. OP is not diabetic, she's not going to see ketones in her urine, and her diet isn't conducive to nutritional ketosis. She prolly just googled and found the same board that you and I did and jumped to conclusions.

Thanks everyone for explaining there is a difference in the two. And I never meant to say she ( OP ) was diabetic or anything, sorry if my wording led you to believe that.. Was just saying that ketone presence in some cases ( my wives ) can cause the appearance she mentioned. But the levels are very high and a result of diabetes in most cases.
  • northbanu
    well a quick way to find out for sure would be to get a ketosis test. there is a test that also tests glucose which will you tell you ifyou're in ketoacidosis or not. easy peasy definite way to figure it out for sure. but yeah.if you are even questioning if it's possible.. Get to a freaking emergency room! that's not something you mess with.

but on with the gifs

agJIP.gif

http://i.imgur.com/agJIP.gif

Fixed that for ya. :smile:
  • astartig

but on with the gifs

agJIP.gif

http://i.imgur.com/agJIP.gif

Thanks!
  • astartig
    Yeah, ketoacidosis is not the same as "ketosis" though it is just an extreme form of ketosis. OP is not diabetic, she's not going to see ketones in her urine, and her diet isn't conducive to nutritional ketosis. She prolly just googled and found the same board that you and I did and jumped to conclusions.

Thanks everyone for explaining there is a difference in the two. And I never meant to say she was diabetic or anything, sorry if my wording led you to believe that.. Was just saying that ketone presence in some cases can cause the appearance she mentioned. But the levels are very high and a result of diabetes in most cases.

if she is in ketoacidosis she's diabetic. it's not something that happens to people that aren't type 1 diabetic or extremely long standing uncontrolled type 2 diabetic. Dietary ketosis is ENTIRELY different from Diabetic ketoacidosis
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Hello. is this thing on?
    I guess not.

maybe LIPURIA, maybe CHYLURIA. Even proteinuria may result in filming.

It's likely NOT diabetic ketoacidosis. When is that ever asymptomatic?