Over 40s - What do you do to stay in shape?

Options

Replies

• Brooklyn703
    Brooklyn703 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    44 years old. I workout 5-7 times a week. I do workouts on YouTube--I suggest Jessica Smith TV and Kiera LaShae (both dance based workouts) and Yoga by Adrienne. I also ride my bike and run/walk.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Whatever sounds like fun :) Hiking, biking, motorcycle, raquetball, driving range, weights. My few friends know I am the goto "partner" if they need someone to exercise with, so I do a lot of impromptu walks or hikes, etc. when they dont have someone else to go with. That keeps it varied.

I am 43. Too old to do anything too boring :) I plan to only do what I enjoy - which right now is heavy lifting (*love* it!) and all the various other items when they come up! Sometimes, I just put on the headphones and dance around the house or on the treadmill - singing at the top of my lungs :)
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    congrats....great info...ty
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Normal routine is six exercise sessions per week:
    3 x one hour strength/weights sessions (free weights, machines, body weight exercises, cable machine....)
    2 x cardio (which could be Spinning, squash, rowing or elliptical or whatever I fancy)
    1 x longish cycle ride (typically three hours but It varies)

But at the moment in training for the longest cycle ride of my life (113 miles from London to Bath) so I've dropped one of the weights sessions to fit in the cycle training required.
    2 x one hour strength/weights sessions
    2 x one hour training on a Spinning bike (fast or hills)
    2 x long cycle rides (one hills, one up to 5 hours)

I'm 54 and probably fitter than I've ever been.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is to do stuff you actually enjoy.

-3 weights sessions a week. I will do this without fail whether I get to the gym or do bodyweight stuff at home (just make sure the moves you do are not easy ones you can do for dozens of reps).
    -Multiple sports/activities: currently it's a combination of 5-6 hours of tai chi, 2-4 hours of tennis, 1-2 hours of dodgeball.

Sports is my entertainment and social life. Some people sit when they chat, I chase balls like a dog in between chatting.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Agree..variety is key.

I weight lift 6 days a week, cardio 4 days a week. And on that day off, usually hiking.

I often hear someone saying how a body needs more rest or else you get burned out..and stop growing.

And my reply is always...then explain me?

I'm not genetically gifted or chemically induced, just have a burning desire to wear out instead of rust out...sounds like there are a lot of likeminded over 40s out there.

Rock on...the best days are ahead!
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    On average I do 5 days a week strenght training at home with free weights (around 30 minutes, not counting stretch & warm up). No cardio in general, I do change workouts quite often when I feel I am losing motivation and trying to incorporate HIIT knstead of steady cardio.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3-5 times a week...depending on what program I'm following. Plus I train in karate once a week, should be twice really but time and finances dictate otherwise!
  • crookback
    crookback Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Roadbike for around 2x 45min 3 days a week (commute)
    Suspension training + other bodyweight exercises for around an hour 3 times a week.
    Occasional longer bike ride at the weekend.
    58 years old
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Wow, you Guys are all very impressive!
    I better up my Game. :laugh:
    Was dabbling with the idea of taking up Kickboxing or some kind of Martial Art.
    But there are some nice, varied amnd interesting workouts mentioned here that i'll also be looking into....especially "Metabata" and "Jessica Smith TV" on youtube (just subscribed to her channel).
    Thanks all for your participation and please by all means, keep posting! :happy:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Walk for an hour every night, rain or shine. I also walk a lot during the day. It's only 10,000 steps by my fitbit, but my husband walks with me and he gets 13,000 out of it (grumble).
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I lift things up and put them down three times a week.
    I eat food I've made rather than prepacked 'food' as much as possible.
    I walk at lunch for an hour.
    I walk to places that are 2 miles / 3 km or closer rather than take the car.
    I run up stairs.
    I eschew elevators when possible.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    55 here. For the first 2 years or so, I just made sure I got in my 10,000 steps a day and did yoga and barre3 for 15-30 minutes every day at home. 4 weeks ago I signed up to take two 30 minute Weight training sessions a week with a PT. It's game changing.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    walk, hike, Pilates and clean up this house omg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    46 yrs old. Walking, elliptical, stationary bike, planks, pushups, squats, weights. Not all at once. lol
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I run. I lift heavy things. I do yoga. I typically get in 3 workouts a week, about two hours each.

Edit: I'm 41.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    42 years old.

I lift 5 days per week, eat well all week (keeping carbs fairly low to stay full), and drink heavily on the weekends.

Dating younger women helps, too.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, I am still trying to get in shape, but right now I am doing strength training twice a week, and i am training for a half marathon so I am running four times a week. I walk at least forty minutes nearly everyday, but that is purely recreation and commuting my daughter to preschool. I am finding it much hard to reach my fitness goals than it was in my twenties and thirties. It's fun, though.

Oh, and I am 41 but I still feel twenty six, lol.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I run, and sometimes I walk up a hill and down again.

I used to kayak, ski, mountain climb, do gymnastics, dance and weight train. I'll do these things again in my fifties (except, perhaps, the gymnastics). I was never into sports, but if you think you are, there are lots of opportunities. Choose what you like to do!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 46. For the past three years I do three days of weights (dumbbells at home, the heaviest i can manage, no gym or access or space for the big barbells unfortunately) with Nike Training Club app or vids at FitnessBlender.com (both are free) for 30-40 minutes or so, then usually 20 minutes of some sort of cardio, short kickboxing DVD or a walk with my dogs. Actually I walk my dogs most days. The other three days I run from 30-60 minutes depending on the day, weather, how much time I have, etc.

Always at least one day off per week, sometimes two, a full week off every 8-12 weeks. And if I'm feeling sore or tired from a tough workout, I will throw in a lighter routine, go with just bodyweight exercises or some yoga or something.

Been working great for me - I hit goal weight over 2 years ago and have kept it off.