They forgot my birthday

Options

Replies

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I prefer that no one knows it's my birthday.

^^ This
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    eta: my boss remembered that she had forgotten two months later and my office had a party. Which was kind of fun actually. It was like a surprise birthday.
    I'd be down for silly belated birthday parties!

Otherwise, I dislike the forced work parties for individuals you don't always know very well. We had monthly/quarterly ones here for a long time, and then some killjoys complained that they didn't want people to know. When my day comes, I just make conversation by telling people it's my birthday, get my "happy birthday" and a discussion of where I can get free stuff, and move on.

We actually have the monthly kind too, and at the party they tell whose birthday it is that month. But we didn't have one for my birth month because I'm the only one and they forgot about me.

Honestly I didn't really care that they forgot. I cared about the other people in my life who forgot, but the office part of it didn't bother me.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I would have been grateful they forgot mine... all my work does is buy you cupcakes, cookies, and a cookie cake. Like i need that... they buy it because they want to eat the junk. I've asked numerous times to have a veggie plate instead.... or nothing at all.

***my youngest sons birthday is 2 days before Christmas and we always have a special specific party for his birthday. We have had people show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper.... we kindly remind them that this is a birthday party while handing them birthday paper and showing them into the next room to rewrap the gift.

That's so pleasant. all of it.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* When I used to work in an office no one made any deal out of my birthday. I'd get a card that was signed by my "team" which I expected because every month someone was in charge of that :laugh: . Yes it was a nice gesture but even if nothing was done for me it wouldn't have bothered me *that* much because the people who count are the ones who would remember my birthday.

In all honesty I would get annoyed when the "SHHHHH! IT'S SO AND SO'S BIRTHDAY! PUT IN MONEY SO WE CAN GET THEM A CAKE AND A GIFT!" and then have some silly "party" for them. I never put any money in -- even if it was someone I liked -- and I never participated in the parties. It just got to be a bit much (which is why I didn't care if no one did anything for me).
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Just for you...
    2014-09-22_12_11_12_zpsfzzqdiik.gif

well, ok, and any other mikkimeows who stumble across it.
    And ^^this^^ is why everyone loves Mirey.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't have pity for you, my own parents forgot my birthday one year.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Just for you...

Omg this is one of the best presents I have ever recieved! A gift in my honor! Thank you!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I think I would have been a bit butthurt myself.

At my job we have a birthday list. If you want to have your birthday celebrated, you ask to be included on the list and everyone on the list pays $3 a month to go towards the cost of a card, party favors and birthday cake (or if you don't want cake, whatever treat you want). I asked to be removed from that list a couple years ago. The list had gotten so big I didn't work with a lot of them, and it seemed everyone wanted to be taken out to lunch for their birthday (on top of the card and cake). It wasn't so much the money that was the issue, it was having to celebrate the birthday of people you don't know that well, and having to take so many long lunches. I suggested we go with a smaller birthday list that was just for the small group I worked with, but they wanted to keep it as is. So I bowed out. Haven't regretted it at all!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just for you...

<3 this and <3 YOU Mirey :)
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would have been grateful they forgot mine... all my work does is buy you cupcakes, cookies, and a cookie cake. Like i need that... they buy it because they want to eat the junk. I've asked numerous times to have a veggie plate instead.... or nothing at all.

***my youngest sons birthday is 2 days before Christmas and we always have a special specific party for his birthday. We have had people show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper.... we kindly remind them that this is a birthday party while handing them birthday paper and showing them into the next room to rewrap the gift.

Ummm. NO.

BTW - there are times that I wrap birthday presents in Christmas paper IN JULY. It's. Just. Paper.

BTW BTW - my eldest son's birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas. When people would show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper, it never even occurred to me to care. My reaction was more wishing that he wouldn't rip it when he opened his gifts so that I could reuse it. He is now 20, and by all appearances is a nice and well adjusted young man. Perhaps it did no damage? Maybe I'll ask him, just to be sure that he's not scarred.

I went two years wrapping all presents I gave for those two years in Spiderman Christmas paper. It was awesome and didn't cause anyone any mental damage or butt hurt. The majority of my family's birthdays are in friggen December and we have a rule that just because it's on or near a holiday (my one sister's birthday is Valentine's Day) you can't combine presents. So I have to get presents for in December:

My oldest sister
    My Dad
    My nephew
    And I USED to have to get a present for my brother in law, who is the hardest person on Earth to shop for, but thankfully my sister is divorcing him.

Then Christmas presents for everyone. If anyone complained to me about their birthday presents being wrapped in Christmas paper, they would be reciving their present rectally.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Ummm. NO.

BTW - there are times that I wrap birthday presents in Christmas paper IN JULY. It's. Just. Paper.

BTW BTW - my eldest son's birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas. When people would show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper, it never even occurred to me to care. My reaction was more wishing that he wouldn't rip it when he opened his gifts so that I could reuse it. He is now 20, and by all appearances is a nice and well adjusted young man. Perhaps it did no damage? Maybe I'll ask him, just to be sure that he's not scarred.

I went two years wrapping all presents I gave for those two years in Spiderman Christmas paper. It was awesome and didn't cause anyone any mental damage or butt hurt. The majority of my family's birthdays are in friggen December and we have a rule that just because it's on or near a holiday (my one sister's birthday is Valentine's Day) you can't combine presents. So I have to get presents for:

My oldest sister
    My Dad
    My nephew
    And I USED to have to get a present for my brother in law, who is the hardest person on Earth to shop for, but thankfully my sister is divorcing him.

Then Christmas presents for everyone. If anyone complained to me about their birthday presents being wrapped in Christmas paper, they would be reciving their present rectally.

I just spit out my chicken salad
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Not sure, what is more upsetting...
    your post or your gif/jpg.

What are you 5.. Big Deal.. so what they forgot your birthday.. The sun still comes up and the moon comes down.
    There are people who are dying and people who are starving.. and then there are people who are worried about their last paycheck..

But not you..... Your worried about a birthday......

Why don't you cook your self a cake.. put something special init and share it with your co-workers.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Ummm. NO.

Tread lightly. Don't just barge into what may be a really messy emotional meltdown.

My younger brother has a 12/21 birthday. He was just happy when his presents weren't combo birthday/Christmas gifts where there wasn't any real incremental benefit over just one gift. Me with my July birthday, would get extra fireworks and my brothers wouldn't. Completely valid reasons for them to hate me still decades later.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were afraid they'd give you a heart attack....being 100 years old and all.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Not sure, what is more upsetting...
    your post or your gif/jpg.

What are you 5.. Big Deal.. so what they forgot your birthday.. The sun still comes up and the moon comes down.
    There are people who are dying and people who are starving.. and then there are people who are worried about their last paycheck..

But not you..... Your worried about a birthday......

Why don't you cook your self a cake.. put something special init and share it with your co-workers.

You seem like a nice guy. :smokin:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Ummm. NO.

I went two years wrapping all presents I gave for those two years in Spiderman Christmas paper. It was awesome and didn't cause anyone any mental damage or butt hurt. The majority of my family's birthdays are in friggen December and we have a rule that just because it's on or near a holiday (my one sister's birthday is Valentine's Day) you can't combine presents. So I have to get presents for in December:

My oldest sister
    My Dad
    My nephew

[thatescalatedquickly.gif]
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    And ^^this^^ is why everyone loves Mirey.

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Thank you!

:flowerforyou:
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just for you...

This lady is awesome!!! : ) What she said! Happy Birthday!!!!
  • joyangbax
    joyangbax Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!!!! :):):)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Maybe they didn't recognize you... with all that muck on your face 'n all...

I KID! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You deserve the best, because you're one of the best ♥