WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "Lesley ... I know what a high pulley machine is but not sure what you're referring to with the x-pulley."
    They are pulleys that cross in the middle, good for upright rows and bicep curls.

"what is a care plan"
    The doctor decides on a plan of action regarding meals, medication, training and dietician's advice. If the doctor writes one then dietician's payments are mostly funded by MediCare and I pay less. Heres hoping

Well I feel like shooting my scales as SAME as last week, no movement. BUT keep on training and watch my food still. Washing all bed-sheets and dog's doon covers and cleaning bed-room and tidying rest of house.
    Stan went fishing at 6.30am this morning

Lesley in Tasmaia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did about 10 minutes of pilates then held my plank for 2 min 35 sec. Went to Lowe's food store to get items on sale and then to the extremepump class.

The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT

Vince is feeling some congestion so he's going to the MD, I'll take the donations to the soup kitchen and then go to senior bowling. My hope is that because there are only 3 people on a team, he'll feel badly about letting his team down and will take bettr care of himself. But I doubt it.

After getting back from the class I put down weed killer on the riverrock. I'm really surprised how many weeds have grown up there. Hopefully, this'll take care of that. I can't wait to get that tree down.

Alison - that's neat that your friend found all those hearts when she went to see her house.

yanniejannie - thanks for the comment about raising the cats right. I just have to wonder where I went wrong with Denise and Bryan? Mostly Bryan.

Beth - I hope I give others ideas of different types of exercises. If we do just elliptical or treadmill all the time, our muscles get used to it and we' find we're not burning as many calories. Aldi and Trader Joe are owned by the same company

Sylvia - great jokes, especially the one about the candle. Thanks for the laugh

Patty - I'm sorry to say there won't be much new in the second part of the nutrition class. I've already done all but the last video. Hopefully, the more we get into the class, the more we'll get out of it.

Debbie - welcome! You're looking for what you should be doing now? Coming in here, that's what!!!! lol

Beth - can't say that I miss not having to shovel....lol

mimi - prayers for your nephew in law. I'm one who feels that firefighters are heros, too.

Took the donations from the church to the soup kitchen. They have new help and are they ever slow! I was waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to help me unload. It didn't used to be that way. Then I went to bowling then stopped at this place where Jessica got her hair cut to talk to them only they were closed. I don't know about this place, I don't get a good feeling. There was a sign on the door "we no longer accept debit or credit cards". Then home to have dinner and now going to watch a bit of TV

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Mimi prayers for your nephew. :flowerforyou:

:heart: MNMargaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love the way the seasons change and the days shorten and lengthen. It makes for great variety through the year. I would probably like living either farther north (or farther south than Lesley in Tasmania). When I walk the dogs before daylight there is an awesome sense of privacy and mystery about our walks.

:flowerforyou: I teach a weekly dance class and dance two other days each week and I can’t imagine myself dancing what they do on DWTS but I love watching it.

:bigsmile: We had a great morning of errands, shopping for pet food, taking give-aways to the thrift shop, library, and other miscellany followed by a quick lunch of pumpkin Isagenix shakes and a nap with the pets. The drizzly morning turned into a mild sunny day.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

:bigsmile: 18,000 steps today ---- ---four minute thirty second plank---over an hour on the exercise bike (while watching The Roosevelts)

1884975rxg0f68m70.gif
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Been doing more cleaning today. I try to not spend hours at it. Lord knows it could use it but I only spend around 45 minutes. I decided to tackle some in my bedroom. yes, I know that it is going to leave unfinished work in the office but I was tired of seeing the work to be done in my bedroom. The close was just to much of a mess. They aren't clothes I wear not. I emptied out my drawers of the size large in my gowns, PJs, underwear, etc. But that i still there. I tackled the dresser top and bedside table. I found 24 cents, lots of batteries, an old small personal fan that has a strap for around the neck. I threw away all my reciepts from CJ Banks that were from before this year. I put together all the extra buttons that some on those outfits. I guess I will add them to Mom's old button jar. So I filled up a Target sized bag. I still need to dust those surfaces. I told Charlie that I needed a bigger jewelry box since my old one has to many necklaces in it and they are getting all jumbled up. So he found a jewelry box that was in his closet. I don't recognize it at all. But it had 3 drawers and that was all. It had necklaces, clip on earings that were to large for my Mom to wear and other brooches that I don't think were Mom's/ So i don't know who's this box was. There was a pretty ring I could wear. Kala as far as file cabinets, No I haven't touched them yet.I have two of them in my office and then 2 large ones in Charlies bedroom. That will take a back breaking job since You can't get a chair cose enough to them and you have to work while sitting on the bed.

One thing I don't like about DWTS is the extreme 'friendliness' between the celebrity and the professional. They barely know each other and those guys act really friendly when facing the judges. I know in some of the dances they need 'chemistry. I thought of the Robinson family today. Her parents are involved in what she wears and a are a very tight not strong Christian family. But tonight there was a lot of sexy things said among the judges.

Got a statement from my insurance today saying that I would not e responsible for the $4500 bill for the 30 day heart monitor. Reasoning was that it was ordered by a proved in the network. So why do I have to pay 2 different $85 copays on the echo and tilt table test which were odered by doctors in the network.

Debbie, another nurse to add to our group. I was a nurse for almost 30 years on various units, cardiac being the longest . I quit because of my MS. We have a beloved school nurse who lives across from us. she had both y daughters in her office a lot. I'm sure all of it was not legitimate.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    Greetings from downtown Seattle. Spent the weekend in the community of Sammamish where DH and family live. Got a great NSV in the form of compliments about how much weight I've lost since the last time I saw them 3 years ago. That was really nice. :happy: They have been really supportive about my need to exercise. DH mapped out a 30 minute walk through their beautiful neighborhood and they brought out and adjusted a bike for me to use as well. Now, I'm in the Emerald City, with a view of the Space Needle from my hotel room. Have read all the posts, watched DWTS (I've been hooked on this show for years), and now need to get to bed. Early business appointments tomorrow starting at breakfast.

Wishing everyone here a clean, positive and healthy week. May you find strength you didn't even know you had.

Stay well.
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Hi All -
    I had a wonderful weekend starting with a long run on Saturday then brunch with some GFs followed by cooking for the week ahead and watching college football. Sunday we went early to the beach and I ran on the beach for 2-3 miles. My dog was more interested in checking out all the other puppies but there weren't many his size/disposition to run and be crazy with so he chased after me. I did some more cooking in the afternoon and then went to an awesome concert with a friend. It was in a beautiful old theater downtown and the acoustics were great. The crowd was a bit rowdy but everyone was having so much fun!

With all the cooking I have chicken and dumplings for several meals and spaghetti sauce, both of which we will eat this week with the rest going in the freezer.

I had an incredibly busy day on Friday at work and again today and probably the rest of the week - I hate it when work gets in the way! I got up extra early just to go out to run but then sat for the next 6 hours in meetings :noway: Tonight was puppy agility and we had so much fun. The trainer thinks my guy should be ready for a trial at the end of October, even if I am not :laugh:

Mimi - I hope your nephew is getting better soon! My godson is a fireman too but for now he is a paramedic. I can't believe how big and how many fires we have this year all along the west coast and it is only September... not looking forward to October and November when the Santa Ana winds kick up.

Hope everyone has an awesome week!
    Shana in Anaheim
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,731 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Katla I was going to say, love the picture of you and your doggie:wink:
    I was a volunteer firefighter for a few years when my kids were younger, it is hard work with all the gear and a Scott pack on you are hauling close to 75 lbs of extra weight, and if you get wet it is even heavier..
    I did alot of cooking for the guys when we had tuesday meeting night.. made turkey and stuffing, homemade apple pies.. this was in the mid 90's and the guys that are still around.. still talk about that :laugh:
    well it is dark out and I going to go for a walk...it is around 38-40 degree's out.
    Barbie` your life sounds wonderful. if my retirement was anything like yours I would love it!!
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All, Tuesday now and I have ab class today. I've gotten several e-mails and I think I'll have some new people in class today. I'm still feeling overwhelmed but not as bad. I got most of my first chapter finished last night and I got my schedule straightened out for Weds. I'd triple booked and wasn't sure I could work everything in but I did. I have a 5:30, moved my 6:00 to 6:30 and the third booking was picking up my grandchildren from soccer, my sister is going to do that for me. So, I am good.
    I am teaching my first water aerobics Saturday and other than that I have no plans, funny that I say that a lot of week-ends and end up booked after all. I really need to get things done around the house so am hoping to accomplish at least some of that this week-end, and I'd love to get a yoga class and a bike ride in there.

Hi Debbie from Texas, Welcome!

Mimi, I agree, firefighters are heroes. My heart goes out to your nephew.

Michele, Sheepishly I have to say I still have one more video for chapter one and the test, hoping I can knock chapter 2 out before the week is up. I am hoping for more and new information as well as we go.

Barbie, I love DWTS too, I have two left feet and have never been a good dancer but I sure do love to watch.

Debbie and Joyce, My daughter is a nurse and I thing you are all heroes as well. Nurses do a lot and I’ve heard and seen first- hand how some doctors treat nurses. Love you all!

OK, joy and good health to all,

Love ya, Patty Cincinnati OH
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Morning!
    Violet decide to get up early,11/2 hours earlier than the alarm.Think she`s excited about going to the pumpkin patch after school
    have a good one
    hugs
    jane
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump, off to office hours and class today; have a first day of FALL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I know that you are a potter, but I’ve been wondering about those drafting jobs. What kind of drafting? Art? Architecture? I love the wife with the husband in a vegetative state joke best, but they’re all good.:drinker: :wink:

Cindy: A 2.5 pound gain after one meal sounds like a bunch of sodium to me. I’m sure calories are at play, too, but be sure to add water to your portion control plan.:flowerforyou:

Debbie in TX: I have used portion control and persistence along with exercise to help me lose weight. It is a slow process, but changing my whole way of eating took learning and practice. Welcome to a very supportive group.:flowerforyou:

Lesleychev: Congratulations on your victory at the Malverns.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: Was your sister motivated by concern for your health or competition when she told you not to lose more weight? I like your response.:flowerforyou:

Meg: the photo album for DD#1 seems like a wonderful Christmas gift. I hope things go well at the diabetic clinic & with the doctor.:flowerforyou:

Leslie: I hope your doctor sets up a good plan of action for you that will allow the dietician to be covered by your health plan.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I hope Vince is feeling better soon.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I like your attitude about the shorter days of fall and winter. I get day length depression if I don’t have enough light. The inside light fixtures in my house are now all daylight temperature, and I’m doing much better. The light is a gift from improved technology that I cherish. I suppose it would work farther north, too. I also take calcium and vitamin D. I love your bike widget.:flowerforyou:

Rori: I looked up Sammamish on the net, and it is gorgeous!:flowerforyou:

Shana in Anaheim: Your run on the beach sounds wonderful! (Except for the running.) I love long walks on the beach but running is out of my life because of knee problems unless a bad guy is chasing me. It hasn’t happened so far.:wink:

Yoga this morning! Yay!!! Afterward we may take a drive to scout out the stable I’m considering as a place for horseback riding lessons. I like the idea of driving up there and taking a look.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

I am happy to report that 2 pounds of the 2 1/2 gained are gone. Today I will do yoga and treadmill. I am enjoying the cooler weather, yesterday I had the windows open most of the day. I baked an acorn squash last night. Hubby said the girl at that checked him out at the store didn't know what it was. ????. I also sautéed some salmon and roasted some beautiful asparagus Hubby found at the store.

Mimi, adding that I think firemen are heroes too. I hope your nephew-in-law is getting better.

Joyce, on DWTS - I don't mind the affection between the celebrities and pros as much as I mind the judges comments. It is a family show. I have noticed that the costumes aren't as tiny so far this year. Interesting that you found a mystery jewelry box, let us know if you find out where it came from.

Barbie, I love the quiet of early morning too!

Alison, love that your former firemen guys remember you cooking for them, that's a huge compliment! I really admire that you were a "forewoman"!

Welcome all new ladies!

Hugs to those I missed.

Cindy in OK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

Ended up going back to bed yesterday and sleeping from 8 until 11:30am. Slept pretty good last night but had at least 2 nightmares. Saw the movie "Now I Leave You"...........very funny, one bit toward the end seemed gratuitous to me, like they were trying to hit all the pc buttons or something. A bit of ironing then grocery store and post office on the agenda today. DD will be off to an interview shortly.................at a horse barn. She just got all her stuff recerted for lifeguarding and on the sched. and now this again??????

Beth.........I fully identify with the before school waking early. One year DD had to catch a bus at 5:45; no way was I letting her walk to the bus stop in the dark; I was always worried we'd be late..........

Katla...............Heartily agree that Heather would be a fantastic trip advisor!

Heather.........I am turning greener by the day; there's no place in the US quite like NYC---Central Park, Broadway shows, the hustle, the bustle!!! Been WAY too long since I've been there, (lol) maybe time for me to check out a bus sched.

Sylvia..........You really had super jokes yesterday---all three of them!!! Glad the walk went well; could the little guy be being bullied about the walking with his sisters and you? My DD was told in kindergarten that she was going to hell because she didn't wear a little cross necklace like a group of girls did...........she was absolutely destroyed and the tears poured out. Even that young kids can be terribly mean.

Cindy.........Excellent on the 2 pound loss.........the half will be off in no time.

Mimi..........I feel very bad for your nephew in law; what a difficult time; he's going to have a lot of strength to regain, will probably need the time off to do it. I dated a guy who would take summer jobs as a firefighter out West when MSU was not in session; he had some hair raising stories.

jane...........Hope Violet has a fabulous time in the pumpkin patch!!!

Michele...........I'm positive you were an extremely good mom to both Denise and Bryan and you didn't fail them in any way. I think there just comes a point, sooner or later, where all kids have to contend with the results of the decisions (good or bad) they have made---decisions where we as parents have no input or power and probably don't agree with. I know I made some decisions myself that I cringe to think about today and my own life is certainly not what I envisioned; not that it's bad, just not what I thought it would be when I was in my 20s. Letting go of our self-imposed guilt and frustration is our job now. Breathe, chin up!!!! (((Hugs!!!)))

Need to get laundry out and ironing finished.
    Stay Strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.........cooler today, breezy and cloudy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! :flowerforyou:

Mimi - how awful for your nephew. Wishing him a good recovery. :flowerforyou:

Cindy - I have lost nearly all of my holiday pounds too! :bigsmile: I just have the "bonus" pound that I like to have in reserve to lose now.:tongue:

Still doing a bit of pre NYC shopping. Had 20% off vouchers so I bought 2 pairs of silky leggings for wearing under a skirt. DH splashed out on 3 pairs of cargo pants, a sweater, a shirt and a cardigan! We also raided the food hall and bought expensive fish for a future celebration dinner and some wine.
    Today we went out and bought some toiletries and DH had his hair cut. Slowly getting sorted!:laugh:

Having the last of the golden zucchini tonight with home grown basil pesto, "concasse" :tongue: tomatoes, scallions and prawns. DH with tagliatelli, me with shiritaki noodles. Don't have a lot of calories to play with on yoga days.:cry:

Love to all. Just printing off my newyorkpass voucher. :bigsmile:

Heather in beautifully autumnal Hampshire UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. Woke up to a gentle rain this morning. From the look of things on the way to work it had been rainning most the night. Weigh in this morning was better then I was expecting down 1.4. So hope that means I am back on track. DH was feeling some better this morning so that is good.

Mimi--Prayers for your Nephew and his family. I also think firefighters are a speical breed. My dad was a voluteer fireman for over 30 years. I agree seems alot if going on and time is flying by. I can not believe that Christmas is only 3 months from Thursday. I have several stocking I have to get made, so best get started as they are hand sitiched.

I love the changing of the seasons and Fall is the best. All the colors and cooler temps. Soup and hot cocoa.

Joyce--I have so much trouble understand our insurance. All the tiers and networks. I have the best one my job offers and I thought there was no co pay but that is only for certain doctors.

Rori--Sounds like a good trip so far. Hope it stays that way!

Katla--I think my sister is afraid I will get smaller then her. She has always been smaller then me and I was so much bigger. She was after me for years to lose wieght and I never did so I think she is threated by my losing now. We used to get along really well, but last fall we had a falling out and she will not let it go. So I just keep praying and telling her I love her.

Meg--Sending good wishes for your tests this week.

Cindy--Congrates on the 2 pounds gone.

Heather--I am getting so excited for you and your trip to NYC. I know reading about it will be great.

Well ladies I hope everyone is having a good day. Remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning (barely)! I hope each of you are having a great day. I am enjoying the cooler temps--just wishing for more opportunity to be outside in them. I slept with the windows open last night and woke up to a delightful 66 degree house!

I had my six month oncology check yesterday and got the all clear for another six months. :smile: It's amazing how tired stress can make us!

I'm still on week one of the nutrition course. I have discovered that I can listen to the lectures while I work on other things. This may not work later on, but right now she's not telling me anything I didn't already know. I'll try to finish those up today and take the quiz. I've discovered that many classic books are on Spotify so I enjoyed listening to part of Jane Eyre for last week (again, I could listen and work at the same time). Unfortunately for me, the lady reading Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener has such a strong British accent that I can't handle the third task of translating while hearing and working. At least the story is humorous and short. I'll try to find the second Melville assignment when it's time and hope I have better luck with the reader. No offense to any of our "British speaking" friends!!! :flowerforyou: I must say that the Literature course from Brown University is much more to my taste than the nutrition course from Vanderbilt!

I'm not going to try to answer individuals today--just to pressed for time and energy. I have read and an thinking about each of you in your life's struggles and celebrations.

As for me, I have lots on my mind right now and dealing with some lingering depression. I've reminded myself of what my doctor told me a few months ago when my knee was messed up. Not only am I stressed because of the injury that prevents me from walking, I've lost my stress reliever because I can't walk. I seem to be so much slower at getting things done because of wearing the boot, that I've not had much time to get other types of exercise done. I plan to do everything I can to change that tonight!

For now, I'm off to eat my black bean burger and spaghetti squash with parmesan. I'm hungry!

Carol in 60 degree NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    She got the job; of course she got the job...............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Talk about decisions kids make that we don't agree with!!!!
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts for my nephew. He's feeling bummed about possibly not being able to return to firefighting. He's got good family support though and I'm hoping he'll feel better soon so he can pursue something else.

I'm heading out early this morning, so this is just a quick visit! But I did want to share the photo my nephew took. It showed up on Facebook today so he must have tagged me. I love DGD's (my youngest) expression. She's in love with lip balm of any kind. So, giving her EOS on her birthday was a good choice.

Mimi
    :heart: