MFP has really changed

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

I am relatively new to the site, but I have not encountered such uncivility since Jr. High School. So many seem to revel in being called mean. They defend their right to be mean and claim they are just "helping" or they were driven to it lesser minds.

I have also noticed Jr. High type "cliques". One person will post something snarky or rude and suddenly a bunch of others start in. Often the same group. I assume these are from their 'friends' list. Because if a group is rude, then it's not really rude, right?

It's so juvenile and silly.

I guess I will have to say this again... this place is unicorns and rainbow glitter compared to the likes of Babycenter, the Knot, and Sodahead... among many others, those are just the places I have been myself... so please... join another forum and then comeback and see how uncivil this place is... Hell, there was a time where even NEOPETS was worse than this place has ever been... yes, a game website.

I am a member of three other forums (all organic farming sites). They are nothng like this. People disagree, sometimes it gets a little heated, but I've never encountered anything like this. I suppose there are moderators on those sites, though I've never known one to have to step in.

I'm not familiar with the sites you mention, but are they geared toward juveniles? .

Don't you think it's kind of mean to be calling people juveniles? Why is it ok for you to throw out insults no no one else?

Who am I insulting?

You called us all juvenile and silly. You actually make it a point to come into every mean people thread and do so.

"Us all"? I suppose if you saw a shoe that fits, then you might interpret it that way. But I singled no one out. I made a general statement about the forums in general. I agree with the OP.

Well I assumed you were referring to the people responding in the cleaning thread. I've asked for specific examples, which you have yet to provide, so I assume you mean everyone.

And, no, the shoe absolutely does not fit. I don't have a mean bone in my body unless provoked. I do love Gifs though because....funny. I have a big funny bone.

You assume incorrectly.

Well then why don't we all be adults here.

If people are going to post about these "mean people" then call them out specifically and let's discuss. Perhaps it's a matter of not understanding where one people is coming from.

You either want the problem or the solution in life. Solutions never happen in generalities.
  • Mikkimeowza
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

I am relatively new to the site, but I have not encountered such uncivility since Jr. High School. So many seem to revel in being called mean. They defend their right to be mean and claim they are just "helping" or they were driven to it lesser minds.

I have also noticed Jr. High type "cliques". One person will post something snarky or rude and suddenly a bunch of others start in. Often the same group. I assume these are from their 'friends' list. Because if a group is rude, then it's not really rude, right?

I guess I will have to say this again... this place is unicorns and rainbow glitter compared to the likes of Babycenter, the Knot, and Sodahead... among many others, those are just the places I have been myself... so please... join another forum and then comeback and see how uncivil this place is... Hell, there was a time where even NEOPETS was worse than this place has ever been... yes, a game website.

I am a member of three other forums (all organic farming sites). They are nothng like this. People disagree, sometimes it gets a little heated, but I've never encountered anything like this. I suppose there are moderators on those sites, though I've never known one to have to step in.

I'm not familiar with the sites you mention, but are they geared toward juveniles? .

Don't you think it's kind of mean to be calling people juveniles? Why is it ok for you to throw out insults no no one else?

Who am I insulting?

You called us all juvenile and silly. You actually make it a point to come into every mean people thread and do so.

"Us all"? I suppose if you saw a shoe that fits, then you might interpret it that way. But I singled no one out. I made a general statement about the forums in general. I agree with the OP.

Well I assumed you were referring to the people responding in the cleaning thread. I've asked for specific examples, which you have yet to provide, so I assume you mean everyone.

And, no, the shoe absolutely does not fit. I don't have a mean bone in my body unless provoked. I do love Gifs though because....funny. I have a big funny bone.

4017055-9040104465-107416-full-throttle-randomly-feels-like-brakes-were-applied-not-sure-why-tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean-jpg
  • jlrs2015
    Options
    The "Recipe" board is usually a quieter place, if you're into that sort of thing .. but [warning] - the other day someone posted about peas in Mac-N-Cheese .. and s*** hit the fan ;)

LMAO!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also want to say (and I should have said this earlier) my OP goes to original posters as well. They shouldn't be mean either when getting answers they don't like. Otherwise it's a never ending cycle. Also, WTH, are trolls? & WTH does Friday have to do w/ mean post? I don't get it.
    Seriously, I'm a very happy person...and I just want everyone to get a long is all.
    We're still waiting for the examples of meaness from that thread? Or aren't you going to back up that accusation. Also why the need to create a new account to do this? you've still not answered that question either?

I await the deafening silence to those questions or am I being mean by asking them?

She actually said she deactivated for awhile and recently came back. If I remember correct…

She thought calling someone out would make her a hypocrite some how?
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=ZK1zTFRcqQ3rsM&tbnid=dsiJtFb3XHr08M:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcheezburger.com%2F4252699904&ei=EmokVOzvCsX_yQSqrYKQDQ&bvm=bv.76247554,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNFEzxXZHC3ezUB9lr6dk3BptRQo_w&ust=1411758870659283
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP I mean Have you read an article and there was like 5 tips to get healthier today, one way to do it is to do some light-heavy cleaning…this way your getting things done and working out.

One day i had too much energy and I cleaned the entire apartment and that means taking the rugs out from my rabbits area, vacuumed, laundry…bathroom+rugs…I was SWEATY lol I burned like 400 calories that day from those 2 hours of cleaning i was WIPED OUT…Idk how people can say that housework isn't working out?? so all the thin moms out there must be dumber than doornails when it comes to strength and energy hauling them kids around and cleaning after them pfft

Is that why moms are the only in-shape people out there? ...oh wait.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

Who am I insulting?

4017055-9040104465-107416-full-throttle-randomly-feels-like-brakes-were-applied-not-sure-why-tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean-jpg

635352458462627284tinafeyohyoudidnot.gif
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I think it makes sense to listen to the people who have successfully lost weight or gained muscle and have then maintained it over the people who keep restarting or fluctuating. One group is successful, while the other group is in progress.

Sure, the in progress group can have awesome advice and should certainly contribute to the discussion. I certainly do. However, it doesn't make sense to view those who are successful as snobby for thinking that they are more knowledgeable on topics related to fitness and weight loss. They are more knowledgeable. That's why they're successful.

Sometimes the successful peeps can be a little blunt because they're giving the same piece of advice for the 10 billionth time, but where would we be without them? Part of the reason I've lost the weight I have is that I learned so much from these people while I was still lurking on the treads, even if I didn't agree with them at first (example - I totally started with 1200 calories). Guess what? They were right. I'm also lifting heavier weights even though I previously thought that a 5lb dumbbell was "heavy" and totally a great workout. Turns out I really can use heavier weights (still increasing!).

I really don't think that most people are being mean. I just think that a lot of people are used to having people tell them what they want to hear. It's like asking how you look in a particular outfit and then being angry at the person for telling you that you look fat. Don't ask if you don't want an honest answer. Trust me, someone else will ask your question. And then again. And again. And again. :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I've spent a good bulk of my 1,000 posts trying to give others insightful advice only to be told that I have no right to do that, just because I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

This site doesn't suck because of the group of people that sprinkle their knowledge where it needs to be sprinkled, it's ruined by people who try too hard to take everything personally. People who want to find something to complain about and find a way to be upset.

They want to use others as a crutch to try to "prove" why they haven't been successful.

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I'm gonna try to address this without making it a whole thing.

Yes, you can log whatever you want. But when you ask for advice, you'll get advice. And anyone who cares is gonna tell you logging things as exercise that aren't really exercise is a bad idea.

It may not be what you want to hear, but it's good advice. And that's the problem. Some people want advice, some people want to be told they're doing everything right no matter what.

I've seen people be unnecessarily rude, I've seen people be extraordinarily kind. Just like life. It's no different here. It's everyone's choice if they want to focus on the positive or the negative.

*slow clap* Bravo!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Can someone share their popcorn with me? I would go make my own, but I might miss some action in those 2 minutes.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Dang I love mean people threads. I'm so sad I have to go do real life things (I hope this is still here when I come back)... :sad:
  • jillywilliams2014
    Options
    I like everything my friends post.

I tend to stay away from the forums unless the title in "Recent Forum Topics" on my home page catches my attention.

Groups are FAR more supportive than the forums.

Yes!!! I totally agree with this!!!js
  • jlrs2015
    Options
    Oh, and I also want to say (and I should have said this earlier) my OP goes to original posters as well. They shouldn't be mean either when getting answers they don't like. Otherwise it's a never ending cycle. Also, WTH, are trolls? & WTH does Friday have to do w/ mean post? I don't get it.
    Seriously, I'm a very happy person...and I just want everyone to get a long is all.
    We're still waiting for the examples of meaness from that thread? Or aren't you going to back up that accusation. Also why the need to create a new account to do this? you've still not answered that question either?

I await the deafening silence to those questions or am I being mean by asking them?

No, you're not being mean with your questions. I didn't create a new account just to do this. I created a new account because I haven't been on in awhile. I started gaining again.
    Also, I'm not going to give examples. I'm not going to call anyone out. I really wasn't trying to single that one topic out. I just used it as an example of what I was referring too. I could have used any of the numerous one's I've seen I just chose that one for no apparent reason.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I think it makes sense to listen to the people who have successfully lost weight or gained muscle and have then maintained it over the people who keep restarting or fluctuating. One group is successful, while the other group is in progress.

Sure, the in progress group can have awesome advice and should certainly contribute to the discussion. I certainly do. However, it doesn't make sense to view those who are successful as snobby for thinking that they are more knowledgeable on topics related to fitness and weight loss. They are more knowledgeable. That's why they're successful.

Sometimes the successful peeps can be a little blunt because they're giving the same piece of advice for the 10 billionth time, but where would we be without them? Part of the reason I've lost the weight I have is that I learned so much from these people while I was still lurking on the treads, even if I didn't agree with them at first (example - I totally started with 1200 calories). Guess what? They were right. I'm also lifting heavier weights even though I previously thought that a 5lb dumbbell was "heavy" and totally a great workout. Turns out I really can use heavier weights (still increasing!).

I really don't think that most people are being mean. I just think that a lot of people are used to having people tell them what they want to hear. It's like asking how you look in a particular outfit and then being angry at the person for telling you that you look fat. Don't ask if you don't want an honest answer. Trust me, someone else will ask your question. And then again. And again. And again. :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Can someone share their popcorn with me? I would go make my own, but I might miss some action in those 2 minutes.

bowl_of_popcorn.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

Pot, please meet kettle.

^Yep. x2
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP I mean Have you read an article and there was like 5 tips to get healthier today, one way to do it is to do some light-heavy cleaning…this way your getting things done and working out.

One day i had too much energy and I cleaned the entire apartment and that means taking the rugs out from my rabbits area, vacuumed, laundry…bathroom+rugs…I was SWEATY lol I burned like 400 calories that day from those 2 hours of cleaning i was WIPED OUT…Idk how people can say that housework isn't working out?? so all the thin moms out there must be dumber than doornails when it comes to strength and energy hauling them kids around and cleaning after them pfft

Is that why moms are the only in-shape people out there? ...oh wait.

Real talk. If a few hours of cleaning (which most of us do all the time anyway...) is enough to warrant logging and counting the calories expended, perhaps the real problem is that ones daily level of activity is so low that logging cleaning as exercise seems productive...
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lrjs40owJ61qbg5dx.gif

god she's orange.....

it's almost mesmerizing...