MFP has really changed

Options

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    OP, you know you could always emulate the change you wish to see by participating in the forums yourself and providing advice or encouragement to other users, instead of sitting around complaining about what everyone else does or does not do.

If you're not willing to put in your own time and effort to participate and be an active member of the community, don't be surprised when the rest of the community politely or not-so-politely tells you that they don't care what you think.

Standing-ovation-o.gif
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    When I have nothing to add except a snarky comment I remember this:

eb2244629041b5c7c91c296d0eb34362.jpg

Does she have any quotes about irony?
    These are on goodreads:
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7535958.Rachel_Wolchin

Google image search reveals a whole bunch more. I like this one:
    "I think people spend too much time staring into screens and not enough time drinking wine, tongue kissing, and dancing under the moon."

This one's marvellous:
    "Sometimes life will *kitten* you and you'll just have to change position and enjoy it somehow."
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    brush-your-shoulders-off.gif
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well, it's pretty clear I will be sticking to the GROUPS and not using the forums.... Mean people suck!!

These "mean people" will offer you unbiased knowledge on questions that matter and might make a difference to your weight loss and success. They've been around and know a thing or two. So, your loss. Or un-loss once you hit a plateau but don't trust the meanies to ask a question and get some help.
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you ask, be prepared for answer. However people should remember they are speaking to someone whom needs help and guidance. And they were once in the same shoes. Treat others like you want to be treated. Im here cause I need help and support, I give it as well to the people on my friend list.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning.

That one' poor girl' was rude, nasty and defensive to nearly everyone who posted in her thread. She not only got various answers to her question, but was also given tips and recommendations for logging. She got angry AND TYPED IN ALL CAPS - the equivalent of yelling at everyone.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

I am relatively new to the site, but I have not encountered such uncivility since Jr. High School. So many seem to revel in being called mean. They defend their right to be mean and claim they are just "helping" or they were driven to it lesser minds.

I have also noticed Jr. High type "cliques". One person will post something snarky or rude and suddenly a bunch of others start in. Often the same group. I assume these are from their 'friends' list. Because if a group is rude, then it's not really rude, right?

It's so juvenile and silly.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've been here for the same amount of time and I can tell you that you are completely dreaming. This site has actually gotten much better

Three years ago, any fitness or nutrition related thread would generate 90% complete BS responses. Today, it's only about 60%. In some groups, it's more like 90% good information in fact (the ETP group for example).The amount of good information here is slowly but surely increasing and that is nothing but a good thing.

Hell, the quality of cat gifs has even increased over the years.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    That being said, this place has always been and probably always will be like a cliche movie high school. Lots of popular, beautiful people being popular and beautiful.

Only difference is, most of them are amazing, empathetic, and courteous individuals who are simply misunderstood because they tell the whole, honest truth.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    OP, you know you could always emulate the change you wish to see by participating in the forums yourself and providing advice or encouragement to other users, instead of sitting around complaining about what everyone else does or does not do.

If you're not willing to put in your own time and effort to participate and be an active member of the community, don't be surprised when the rest of the community politely or not-so-politely tells you that they don't care what you think.

tumblr_inline_muxa8bXDJA1ro2d43.gif
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Oh cool, a mean people thread and it's only Thursday. Don't you people know that those are only reserved for Friday's entertainment?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    In for mean people thread.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

I am relatively new to the site, but I have not encountered such uncivility since Jr. High School. So many seem to revel in being called mean. They defend their right to be mean and claim they are just "helping" or they were driven to it lesser minds.

I have also noticed Jr. High type "cliques". One person will post something snarky or rude and suddenly a bunch of others start in. Often the same group. I assume these are from their 'friends' list. Because if a group is rude, then it's not really rude, right?

It's so juvenile and silly.

Pot, please meet kettle.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I just saved 15% on car insurance. In only fifteen minutes.

So there.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I'm gonna try to address this without making it a whole thing.

Yes, you can log whatever you want. But when you ask for advice, you'll get advice. And anyone who cares is gonna tell you logging things as exercise that aren't really exercise is a bad idea.

It may not be what you want to hear, but it's good advice. And that's the problem. Some people want advice, some people want to be told they're doing everything right no matter what.

I've seen people be unnecessarily rude, I've seen people be extraordinarily kind. Just like life. It's no different here. It's everyone's choice if they want to focus on the positive or the negative.

#truth

I can do whatever the heck I want/log when it comes to my diary. But if I post a question on a thread I need to be open for all comments/opinions. IMO MFP is supportive. I look forward to logging in everyday. True, I spend more time in my own Newsfeed than the forums but regardless, the accountability I get from my MFP friends is worth being on here.

This here...and Brett all the way!

Do what you want in your diary..that is yours. The forum is built for discussion. That does not ensure that everyone will agree with you. If they do then great ...but that is not a discussion..that is you saying The sky is blue and everyone saying YEP! No one learns a thing. Now if someone posts they want to know the difference between light and heavy cleaning and someone responds saying that it really depends on the person what each is but either way if you probably should not log it and they have had amazing success...one may want to rethink what they are going to log. They don't have to. People learning from each other.

It sucks when you are the one that posted the thing that was wrong or slightly inaccurate (a lot of us have been there!) and have to see all the responses saying you are wrong, but if you take the advice, it may go a long way!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Well, it's pretty clear I will be sticking to the GROUPS and not using the forums.... Mean people suck!!

These "mean people" will offer you unbiased knowledge on questions that matter and might make a difference to your weight loss and success. They've been around and know a thing or two. So, your loss. Or un-loss once you hit a plateau but don't trust the meanies to ask a question and get some help.

This! I surround myself with the people that are constantly labelled as mean for giving sound and unbiased advice... They are honestly the sweetest and most caring group of people on here... they aren't fake and won't validate people's crap... having a low BS tolerance does not make people mean...

You want mean, join a mommy forum and discuss whether or not you should vaccinate your kid...
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This site doesn't suck because of the group of people that sprinkle their knowledge where it needs to be sprinkled, it's ruined by people who try too hard to take everything personally. People who want to find something to complain about and find a way to be upset.

THIS.

I spent a while actually crafting a response in another thread a while back, making sure I used "I/me/my/mine" and what I found solved MY problem, and "YMMV" and all that PC stuff, only to be immediately responded to by someone who thought I was telling them what the hell to do.

Jesus, take things personally much?

I just throw up my hands and walk away after that.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    That being said, this place has always been and probably always will be like a cliche movie high school. Lots of popular, beautiful people being popular and beautiful.

Only difference is, most of them are amazing, empathetic, and courteous individuals who are simply misunderstood because they tell the whole, honest truth.

Minion_hug.gif
  • FitGal4ever42
    FitGal4ever42 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you don't like MFP you could always deactivate and use another fitness site which I am sure has no mean people.. But doubtful since this is the INTERNET ! :ohwell:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP I mean Have you read an article and there was like 5 tips to get healthier today, one way to do it is to do some light-heavy cleaning…this way your getting things done and working out.

One day i had too much energy and I cleaned the entire apartment and that means taking the rugs out from my rabbits area, vacuumed, laundry…bathroom+rugs…I was SWEATY lol I burned like 400 calories that day from those 2 hours of cleaning i was WIPED OUT…Idk how people can say that housework isn't working out?? so all the thin moms out there must be dumber than doornails when it comes to strength and energy hauling them kids around and cleaning after them pfft

But was that heavy cleaning or light cleaning? Because to you that could be heavy and to me that's light.

No one in that thread said it wasn't a workout, however, you did those same things when you were gaining weight. A lot of times people who rely on logging their cleaning will soon wonder why they aren't losing.

I don't understand. In determining how many calories to eat, what does it matter if it's an activity you did before you started trying to lose weight? I would seem the only thing that mattered was whether the activity is already covered in your MFP activity level.