Why do women wear tank tops to the gym more than men?

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    The fact that MrBigglesworth thinks this is an issue is one of the problems with society. How about you just let the ladies work out and stop staring at them and critiquing what they wear?
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    I prefer to have snug clothing on me when I work out and I don't like the feeling of a floppy T-shirt.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    How else will I see my smexy muscles when I'm flexing and posing and 'miring myself in the many, many mirrors? It makes sense to plan my wardrobe to accommodate my workout and posing routines.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    The fact that MrBigglesworth thinks this is an issue is one of the problems with society. How about you just let the ladies work out and stop staring at them and critiquing what they wear?

tumblr_inline_mmy82rqKR11qz4rgp.jpg

I don't really care what ladies wear.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I like tank tops, and when I'm rocking the guns, I wear them. I will not wear a jog bra only or anything teeny tiny becasue, well, it's just attention seeking, no matter how much we want to deny it.

So ... even though people in this thread said wearing a tank top is attention-seeking, it isn't. But you have declared wearing only a sports bra attention-seeking so it must be?

I don't wear only a sports bra simply because I am not in the kind of shape where I'm comfortable doing so. But I boil when I work out. The fewer clothes, the better. There have been times when I've gone running outside and ended up in just my sports bra because I was HOT. Maybe you just don't get very hot when you exercise.

I get plenty hot. I see what you're doing there. But I stand by my post. I'll admit to attention seeking if I do it; I'm not ashamed of it.
    But that doesn't mean everyone who does it is attention-seeking.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    :love: I know this hot guy that wears a tank on his walk to the gym, then when he gets there he puts on a long sleeve shirt :smooched:

lol creep much?

Grit, you can come creep on me in my home gym when you're done creeping on your hubby in your own home gym!
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    I don't even bother with the tank top. Just a bra and tiny shorts for me. Frankly I hate sweaty clothes and when doing a BB glute bridge I hate the feeling of clothing moving about on my upper back and neck. Luckily for all I have a home gym, so I could work out naked if the mood took me.

Does it make me an attention seeker if I work out in bra and hot pants where no one can see me I wonder?!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    I don't even bother with the tank top. Just a bra and tiny shorts for me. Frankly I hate sweaty clothes and when doing a BB glute bridge I hate the feeling of clothing moving about on my upper back and neck. Luckily for all I have a home gym, so I could work out naked if the mood took me.

Does it make me an attention seeker if I work out in bra and hot pants where no one can see me I wonder?!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? :bigsmile:

I wear tanktops because I get hot and they keep me cooler. They also offer a better range of motion for bench press/rows/ohp/you name it.

But I guess we are all just attention *kitten*. I learn something new every day on the MFPz.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    I used to always wear tank tops until I discovered dri-fit (and its ilk) clothing.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    It was just an observation, I don't care if they wear tank tops. I just wanted to know if it was because they are proud of their arms or because they don't want to get pit stains. Or maybe for functionality.

FYI, I think guys look trashy in sleeveless shirts, but not women.

lots of guys have insecurity issues about muscle size and tank tops.

For the first 2 years I worked out, I would never dream of wearing a tank. I had 14 inch arms, I thought I'd look like a skinny try-hard in a sleeveless shirt.

Then again, you also have first year lifters wearing shirts cut down to the waist. Never a good look and accentuates fat. So who knows.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    "makes a note to self: tomorrow at the gym i must wear full lenghth joggers and a hoodie"

Oh no, thats right, i want to be comfy whilst working out and not in clothes that will make me pass out from being too hot.

nearly all my tops (for gym or every day wear) are vest tops, they are comfy. Im not completely sure what the issue of having arms on show is??, its not like they are topless (like some men) or working out in little lacey knickers.

heres an idea for you>>>>>> instead of perving on what the ladies are wearing and checking out their arms, you could actually concentrate on your work out

Little lacey knickers sounds good to me :)
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    i wear whatever is tight fitting and doesnt get inthe way. nothing is worse than wet cotton t shirts when working out. that and anything around my neck drives me nuts!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Well if they are over 40 they are probably hot - I usually prefer long sleeve wicking tops but lately I have been considering tanks - except I hate the feeling of sweat running down my arms.

Now that I know someone may be looking tanks are out :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    arm pit hair
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Most of the men in my gym wear tank tops. I thank them with my eyes daily.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Because we can!! :tongue:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    i wear tank tops because i find sleeves annoying. this is also why i wear shorts. i find pants annoying. i think you will get a million different responses for why people wear tank tops - maybe to show off their arms, maybe because it's hot, it's comfortable, it was what was clean that day, etc.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    I am always in a tank top at the gym, mostly because they fit in all the right places and don't flap about when i'm doing a lot of the floor work, they're not restrictive on my arms which REALLY bugs me to the point of being uncomfortable in anything with a sleeve longer than capped. Tanks/vests are also lower cut so the neck line of your average t-shirt isn't irritating my neck and getting bunched up and annoying me.