Just for Today

Options

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I will be happy with the progress that I'm making and not dwell on perceived failures.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    These daily goals are fantastic, thanks for making them public!
  • bri293
    bri293 Posts: 92
    Options
    I love your positivity! This is a great reminder and motivation for us all, thanks for sharing! :)
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for tday: I will do my best and let go of the rest.:smile:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!
  • steph_669
    steph_669 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day and it helped. When you mess up one day, think of it this way...
    If you have a flat tire, you don't go and flatten all the others, do you? NO! You fix it and move on! Just like eating bad one day...don't throw in the towel for the week...just for today. Tomorrow is anew :)
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I read this the other day and it helped. When you mess up one day, think of it this way...
    If you have a flat tire, you don't go and flatten all the others, do you? NO! You fix it and move on! Just like eating bad one day...don't throw in the towel for the week...just for today. Tomorrow is anew :)

Thanks.
    I once heard it this way: If you fall down half a flight of stairs, you don't pick yourself up and throw yourself down the other half.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS! CricketKate, you have just described what has been my motto for years - just in more eloquent terms. It's always been "i'll start tomorrow" or "i'll do better" or "this one cheeseburger ain't gonna hurt me" and then it just snowballs and I never get on track. Thanks for writing this and sharing what, I'm sure, many of us feel!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    I once heard it this way: If you fall down half a flight of stairs, you don't pick yourself up and throw yourself down the other half.

..and I'm "stealing" your quote!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will think about "flour power".

I got this idea out of a book that I recently listened to called, "The Mouth Trap: The Butt Stops Here", by Pam Young. She explains how she once found an expired 5 pound bag of flour and went to take it out to the trash. After carrying it around for a few minutes, she thought about the fact that her body was carrying around 7 bags of flour. And that was a turning point for her. Today I will think about the 5 extra bags of flour that I'm carrying around. It takes way too much energy to carry it everyday, so I think that it is time to lose some of it.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Well said!!!!!!!!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Well said!!!!!!!!

Thank You!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will try a little harder to do a little better!:tongue:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will think more carefully about what I'm putting in my mouth.

This morning, I was in my bathroom drying my daughters hair. My 20 month old came in and stood on the potty. I watched him as he systematically picked things up off of the counter and put them in his mouth. I wondered why he had the need to taste my comb (again). And then I thought about how many things I put in my mouth without thinking. It is just a reflex to see things on the kitchen counter and put them in my mouth. I put things into my body without thinking about whether they are good for me or not, like my son trying to eat the hairspray. Since I am no longer a baby myself (usually), I need to change my reflex of mindlessly putting food in my mouth and really make sure that it is something that is good for me and that I really want.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will be thankful. Thankful for my body, Thankful for healthy foods. Thankful for my dreadmill to exercise on when it's cold outside. Thankful for everything!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will remember what I am working for.

"Failure is trading what you want most for what you want now."
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will remember that tomorrow is here.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, i find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Love Love Love this post! :flowerforyou:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just for today - I can make the right choices - in company, in food, in thoughts and in words.

That's the basis of every 12 step program - JUST FOR TODAY. We can do anything for one day and we were never promised a tomorrow so why should we wait. I feel the same way about taking medications - always said if I had to take a daily pill to save my life I'd die the 2nd day. I've been on a pain management medication for a year and a half now and only rarely miss a dose. I can't do anything for the rest of my life - it's too big of a commitment and I'm not that strong but I can do it today. I think that's part of why I haven't been able to stick to my other goals this year of exercising every day and knitting everyday because I said I would do it everyday. It was too big of a reach. Thanks for the reminder that I only have to do <anything> today.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will remember that the day is about football, not food!:laugh:

Go Packers!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: