40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• jamben
    jamben Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning, hey we all can use any support we can get. sounds great, love hearing everyones tips and ideas.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning again!

Stiring, the downside of this job is that it will be permanent night shift (11pm-7am), unless we decide some weeks to go with only 2 shifts. The upside is that I will be finished for the week on Fridays at 7 am!!

Robin, I don't think that I could keep up with my Grandson 24-7-365. I love him very much, but I am grateful for some quiet in the house!

Jamben, welcome!

The snow has stopped, but now it is sleeting. We are going to get a lot of ice tonight. I hope our power stays on. At least we have a gas fireplace to keep us warm if the power is off.

FYI---We are approaching the 500 post cut-off for this thread. I will keep my eye on it and start a new thread in a few days.

Have a great day!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Good morning from windy and snowy northeast Kansas!

I'm home for the 2nd day in a row..:bigsmile: .....I'm still amazed that the university closed and canceled classes again. Yesterday was due to ice early in the morning, and today because the snow is expected to get really heavy by late morning and we'll have blizzard conditions with the wind until tomorrow afternoon. I'm at the northwestern edge of "The Beast" of a storm, as the Weather Channel is calling this mess! We're at 5 degrees right now; the wind chill is already -10 and expected to keep dropping all day. We're "only" supposed to get about 8" total - oh goodie! :sad: Very glad I don't have to go anywhere today except out on the patio to get more firewood this afternoon. My daughter in Kansas City is supposed to get about 14" of snow! I'm glad she's able to work remotely with her computer so she doesn't lose pay.

I see a long workout on the elliptical coming my way shortly...........if nothing else, it'll warm me up all the way and keep me out of the kitchen so I'm not munching!:laugh: After that the house is getting a good cleaning - no excuse not to! :laugh: :laugh: I'm kinda getting cabin fever here - haven't been anywhere since early Sunday, and nobody at the house to talk to except the dog :ohwell: Hubby's been in Des Moines at a school for 2 weeks and is due home Friday night.. Why does the bad weather show up when I'm alone???? :grumble: :grumble:

Stiring - glad you're feeling better today.

Sing - congrats on the pending promotion (and hopeful raise), but I don't envy you the graveyard shift. Although, it's got to be quieter with less interruptions at night!

Welcome newbies!!

Take care all......and safe travels to those of you who have to get out!
  • pepper06
    Options
    welcome kim and vero-kim-I use to live in cinci as a kid...as a buckeye kid..hee
    stiring hope you are felling better at this point.
    SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    BEAUTIFUL SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
    I love the snow, only think now is it is so deep can't walk, anywhere because it is over the boots-boo hoo.
    I don't like ice at all.
    interesting how many people have fallen of roofs, some have brought their snow blowers up to their roofs-nuts
    the demand for rakes-crazy-even being rented out. A local hardware store in our town got a supply in of 2000 there was 900 preordered, and police had to come to direct traffice due to the traffic jam and lines!

Sing-there are millions of people that enter hgtv drawing-its like finding a little pin to be a winner-I did it last year but after they filmed all the entries-didn't bother this year-wow!

i would like to go the von trapp inn, but their prices are so extremely high-don't know what they are thinking about, but its a dream, so I stick w/the camping-ha,ha.

have a cozy week everyone!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Afternoon from Canada,
    We are bracing here for a big snowstorm.
    Tonight and Wednesday should be the
    worst. They may have to close the office.
    On a brighter note, we are looking to buy a
    new/used sailboat for the summer sailing
    season. We will give the deposit this weekend
    it is a 30 foot Ticon. We know the couple we
    are buying from so it makes it a little better
    for future problems if any. Stay warm for u
    who are in the arctic north and for u who are
    in the sun well, I wish I was there. :wink:
  • altushe
    altushe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Tried posting a few times this week, got distracted and lost the posts I had started - so frustrating. Too bad there is no "save as draft" feature that allows you to do other things on the site and come back to your post without having to start over.

It's been a tough two weeks for me. Sunday's are my weigh-in day and although I am now at my maintenance weight - I was up in pounds two weeks in a row. While I have fluctuated up to fours pounds less and then +/- over the past two and half months, this is my high weight and a gain two weeks in a row has me at that "nervous" point thinking, I am going to keep gaining an gaining and gaining. Even though the rationale part knows that can't happen given that there is NOTHING causing the gain except that fact that it is normal to fluctuate on maintenance. BUT, I have been a bit freaking out about this - although I have kept at my regular calories and exercise despite wanting to cut back on one and increase the other to compensate.

How do you guys with months/years of experience on maintenance advise? Did you deal with these "nervous" feelings and how did you cope? I posted this on the maintenance thread, but not too much response - except Robin - thanks!

On a separate note, it seems many of you despite your maintenance status are doing the 30-day shred (which I thought was intended for weight loss). Is if a good program even if you don't want to lose weight? Do you simply eat the extra calories to compensate?

Hope everyone's surviving this "wintry mix" that seems to be sweeping the east coast. I am deathly afraid of slipping as the sidewalks in NYC make for a treacherous commute and since we haven't had a break, the supers and sanitation department can't keep up with the shoveling/plowing. It's been tough especially as a fast walker I keep losing footing - very scary. Guess I just have to slow down!!

Looking forward to any advice - feeling very blah and hope weigh-in this week is not another gain or it will be my high since joining MFP. Kinda of weird how I didn't get quite so upset when I was losing and below my goal weight (even though I was nervous to increase calories). Losing just wasn't as hard emotionally as gaining.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

It was a fairly slick ride to work this morning! We are having freezing rain now, but the temp is right at 32 degrees. It should be fine by mid morning.

Altushe, my stepson works for FDNY (Spanish Harlem Fire Station). The bad weather makes their job even more difficult.

I can't speak for the others, bu you brought up a good question about maintenance and calories. When I finally get to that stage, I continue to work out hard and adjust my calories accordingly. You see, many of us actually LOVE to exercise. It makes us feel alive. I'm one of the older people on this thread and I want to be as healthy as possible as I get older. So, exercise is not an option, it's a way of life that I've embraced forever.

I might sound like a broken record, but I think that too many people get hung up with scale weight, rather than concentrating on body conposition. I have not weighed myself in ages, but I know instantly where I stand when I look in the mirror and by how my clothes fit. Right now I am in a purely strength & size phase: that is, gaining as much muscle mass as possible before I make the transition to losing body fat. Even then, I might not weigh myself because I know that when I see the number on the scale, I might not be pleased. Why then would I put myself through such agony? So I choose to ignore the scale completely!!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! To all those impacted by this storm hitting much of the US and parts of Canada.....stay warm and safe! It looks nasty out there.

Robin, I'm SOOOO happy to hear you are enjoying the change to your workout routine. I know that staying on gym equipment day in and day out for me is akin to torture. That's why I have such a workout DVD collection! :laugh: You had me laughing at the image of you jumping rope in a snowsuit! Good thing you can do it indoors.

mk, hope you're doing all right in this storm. It's pretty cold across those parts right now. I would imagine you're off work again today.

Shirley, how fun buying a sailboat! That makes summer seem not-so-far away. I hope you aren't getting hit to badly with this storm right now.

altushe, what got me to stop panicking on maintenance was, as singfree said, ignoring the scale. I had to get to the point where I truly understood that a pound, two pounds, even five pounds means nothing. I think in weight loss we get so used to looking for any change downward (to the 10th of a pound in some cases) that it is simply hard to stop focusing on that. But, honestly, you need to because those 1-5 pounds make NO difference at all in terms of your health. I know when I gain over five pounds, my clothes start fitting differently, so I adjust when that happens. But beyond that, it doesn't matter to me if I'm 106, 108 or 110. And, more importantly, it doesn't matter to my body. They are all healthy weights for me. Your body will find a happy place that it wants to sit at. It will probably be within a few pounds of where you are right now. Let it find that place and once it does, you will actually find it very easy to maintain that weight. At least, that's what I've found. Regarding workouts, I've never done 30 Day Shred, but I do understand the concept of 30 Day Shred. It is an circuit style endurance based workout which is good for both weight loss AND maintenance (at least it is in my opinion). I've never been of the mind that one form of working out is better than another when it comes to weight loss or maintenance because, as you mentioned, it's really more about the calories than anything. I was advised against lifting heavy to lose weight. I ignored that, and lost all of my weight while lifting heavy. And I've maintained doing endurance-based workouts. They are both good forms, and necessary forms, of exercise for the body.

singfree, sorry to hear you are going on permanent night shift, but as you said, you will have 'earlier' weekends now. Stay safe in the ice!

All here is well. I'm still under the weather, but every day is an improvement.

Take care!
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!

Busy morning here at work. Just checking in and seeing what everyone is up to.
    No big snow here in Ohio, just some ice and rain last night. Woke to the sound of ice falling off the roof at 3:00AM. It was scary.
    Hope you all are hanging in there with all the snow!

Stiring - glad you are a little better!

Pepper - Thanks for the warm welcome.

Altushe - I wish I had some words of wisdom, but Im just starting my journey and its been a long time since I was maintaining. But as health professional your body may just be fluctuating in a normal pattern due to water retention or your body becoming use to the workout you are doing. I agree with the throwing away the scale idea and concentrating on feeling healthy and all that you have accomplished. :smile:

Im off to round and then a lunch meeting.
    Headed to the gym after work with my workout buddy today! YAY!:happy:

Hope everyone has a good day!
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am a few weeks on MFP now, and today I am turning 43. Would love to join your group. I am working on recovering from a back injury so slowly beginning to exercise. I look forward to getting to know you guys.. :smile:
  • pepper06
    Options
    WELCOME cbaker-don't overdo w/your injury-what kind of routine are you on?

not a pretty day with the freezing rain and wind. Wind...brrrrrr. I am excited about the superbowl-thinking about it all week.
    I will probably be a bit bad that day as I already made the cupcakes-of course they will be decorated in Steelers attire-ordered the m&m's too.
    I hope that it clears up soon so I can go to gym class today and then stay a little longer-really feel I need a hard workout-feel guilty after watching Biggest Looser. Did anyone see last nights show? That was pretty amazing what Don did, and then go home and he continued to loose-WOW!

I saw a clip in chicago where people were getting blown away on the streets by the winds

Stay warm and cozy :)
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cbaker! What kind of back injury did you suffer? I've had a few so I know how hard it is to work through them. But it can be done. Please let us know something about yourself and jump right into the conversation!

Kim, good to see you. I'm surprised Ohio wasn't hit harder than that by this storm! Of course, most days I'd take the snow over ice....for sure.

pepper, how fun this must be getting ready for the Super Bowl. There are Steeler M&Ms? I think my husband would like those. I only caught the first hour of Loser last night, so I was happy to hear that Don continued to lose after he went home. I think he is right that being in an environment like that isn't for everybody. I'll have to watch the second hour soon. I do get inspired by that show.
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I am a 43 Yo mother of 2 grandmother of 1 and happily married for 21 years to a wonderful man. I actually turned 43 today! I may blow it tonight I'm sure my hubby has something planned.

I hurt my back years ago (L5-S1) nerve root injury and now have scar tissue build up. Every couple of years they have to reduce the scar tissue and it seems it gets a little worse each time. So i'm currently going through my 2nd round of Physical Therapy and my physician suggest Yoga or Pilates after. Which is a bummer for me cause I used to be a runner and I miss it terrible. But unfortunately the more I walk the more I hurt. So were just getting through it.. But still staying healthy and loosing a litle weight. I actually lost 40 ish pounds before I found MFP.. So I am proud of my progress already. Hugs to you all and best wishes..
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Welcome CBaker! Wow losing 40 lbs is great! I am familiar with back injuries as I had a L5 - S1 herniation which required surgery and also cervical neck issues from a bad car wreck. Ease into exercising. I love yoga, my back does too! :smile:

Pepper - Im a huge Steelers fan having grown up in Pittsburgh and I am excited for Sunday too! My friends and I are having a big party. Unfortunately that means lots of food, but I am going to bring healthy options so I have something to choose that doesn't have too many calories. Thinking of Johnsonville Turkey Sausages with Onions and Peppers on whole wheat buns and veggies with a lite dip or shrimp cocktail. Of course I will budget in a beer ot two!:wink:

I did watch some of the biggest loser..it always seems to make me cry! Those guys at home rock, what an inspiration.

Well off to workout!
    Have a great evening all!

GO STEELERS!!
  • altushe
    altushe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Singfree/Stiring, thanks for the advice. Depsite the "panic" mode, I have not changed my eating or exercise at all this week. While I would love to get to the point where I can ignore the scale, I literally just started maintaining and feel like I need that objective check-in right now until I get comfortable that my calories are set at the right level for that happy weight for my body. Let's see what happens this Sunday...

As far as my body composition (fat, muscle, measurements, etc.), my body fat percent is really low and I am very muscular as I do both wieght training and cardio regularly. While I don't take my measurements (other than by my clothing size), I am in 0 petite - and feel really good in my clothes. Perhaps I need to shake up my workout a bit as you said. I do love to exercise and the fact that it is the one hour or more that I do some for myself all day long. Plus it like brushing my teeth - part of my routine and just don't feel good/healthy without it. I do the same routine regularly though and maybe time for a change.

Singfree, I totally admire all those who work for the city and are struggling to keep the streets/sidewalks safe and clean for the rest of us. I actually tell the garbage men every morning on my way to the gym at 5:30AM as the sanitation department is doing double duty between snow and garbage removal - kudos to your son! And today was the worst - treacherous walking and driving conditions due to the ice.

Thanks again for the support/encouragement. I look forward to my MFP check-in's, especially those on the 40+ thread, as you all are the only people who I can really talk to about this stuff...

Stay safe!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

I am going to start a new Thread since we are approaching the 500 post cutoff.

Go To:

40+Club: Spring Fitness Challenge
  • singfree
    Options
    Go To:

40+Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

See You There
  • singfree
    Options
    Did I mention that we are moving?