WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• assaandra
    Options
    Greeting from the Solomon Islands. We got the tail end of a huge cyclone here which is now on Australia's doorstep (my real home). Hoping it isn't too bad particularly after the floods we had earlier this month.
    This is day three for me with MFPand I'm loving it. Having to keeping track of food and exercise daily makes me very conscious of what I'm REALLY doing as opposed to what I THINK i'm doing. Great to have a supportive community to keep me honest as well.
    Goals for Feb are: loose 2kg; post regularly; stick to goals; celebrate every success no matter how small.
  • joylaut
    Options
    Welcome back Robin, Mac, I'm with you in Monday ticker posting. XS, Amanda? Awesome! In fact your post pic looks really good, too.

Mary, do you not have water because it is freezing in your pipes? I hear Boston is using the last of it's available snow days, tomorrow.
    I feel for all of you with the crazy awful weather you are experiencing. I don't dare say what my weather is...:happy:

Not that it's news to anyone but ... overweight + over fifty + menopausal = high (bleeping) cholesterol! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    I never had a cholesterol problem, ever! :noway: It's always been within the normal range...until my doc informed me of my lab results today. I am not happy...BUT now I have even more motivation to keep losing. So I changed the settings on my food diary to include tracking cholesterol, too.

Welcome mj. Assandra, that's what I love about mfp, too. My eating has become more mindful in regards to calorie intake but I'm still not making great choices -- when I have "extra" calories for the day, I still head for the cookies or chocolates. I guess that is going to have to change now...:ohwell:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning my lovelies.

I saw my doctor yesterday because my knee has been playing me up quite badly. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't do any significant damage by continuing to exercise. She suggested more physio which I will arrange today. I have to admit, as soon as I got home I decided to get on my treadmill and ran at a reasonable speed for ten minutes. It hurt, but I'll live.

Whilst I was at the doctor's, I also asked about the statins that I take. My cholesterol level is really good these days (it was never horrendous, but a little high) and I wanted to know if I should stop taking them. She was insistent that I continue on them as I am still at high risk for heart disease and especially as I am having my heart valve surgery next month.

The good news is that my blood pressure is perfect. I'm really pleased about that as it was so high for so many years. A combination of healthy eating and exercise is finally paying dividends.

Time for me to get a wiggle on and do some moving now.

Have a good day today please and be kind to yourselves!

Love

Amanda x
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone:flowerforyou:

Went to the doctor today for my weigh in and lost 5 more pounds!!Don't feel or look different but as long as the numbers keep going down that's all that matters.
    Missed my period last month and thought I was either beginning menopause, pregnant or just stressed out. Finally went in to the doctor's, resigned to have a pregnancy test, she gave me the paperwork to have it done, went home to schedule lab appt and it started! Guess I scared it out of me.:laugh:

Amanda
    The new fashion advice this year is to allow redheads or strawberry blondes to wear red. It is considered chic and the "it" thiing to do now. So wear that Red Dress PROUD!

To all of you caught in the big winter ice storm, I have been very worried about you all. I see the pictures on TV and can't imagine what you all are going through. Please take care, bundle up and be safe! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Chiclet
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Mary, do you not have water because it is freezing in your pipes? I hear Boston is using the last of it's available snow days, tomorrow.
    I feel for all of you with the crazy awful weather you are experiencing. I don't dare say what my weather is...:happy:

Yes, my pipes are STILL frozen! I am praying that they thaw today. The temp is supposed to get up to about 11 (we are below 0 right now with -30 wind chill), but I think that the sun may finally shine a little, so I am hopeful. My biggest prayer is that the pipes don't burst.

Got to go get ready for work - it takes forever to put on enough clothes to survive these days!
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    hellofriends.gif

:heart: :bigsmile: Hello to all my long time friends on this thread as well as the newer ones and the new ones that we will meet this month.

:flowerforyou: This is a great place for support and encouragement…….even though the name is Women ages 50+ we welcome all women to share with us.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals for January? What goals do you have planned for February?

:flowerforyou: Some of us set goals for the whole month, some set short term goals. Some of us set weight loss goals and others set goals for new behaviors and attitudes.

:flowerforyou: It’s a new page on the calendar and a new opportunity to change your life………let’s go.

smiley-bounce016.gif
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome tichacek,

It appears your post ended up on the page with only the quote in it--rather than including your message. I can see you are new to MFP, so "welcome." We look forward to getting to know you.

Barb
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals for January? What goals do you have planned for February?

Good Morning WA50+4Feb

I had a not-so-great doc appnt yesterday & was headed for a pity party day, fortunately something pushed me to the gym for some zumba and a power yoga class and the day really turned around for me....motivation enough to get me outta my rut :tongue:

As for metting my goal for Jan, not all that bad considering the 6lb holiday gain that I subsequently dropped in Jan.
    Feb has always been my official start, so I plan on adding a day or two of weights...I need to drop 20lbs+, so I hope to see a pound a week come off.
  • msh0530
    Options
    I saw a new to me Thomas Edison quote that I really like: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. " I love it!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    A very....very quick hello from snowy Rhode Island! It's Tax Season and managing an accounting office keeps me extreemly busy this time of the year! :noway: I'm working 6 days a week and barely have time to say hello.:ohwell: But I DO track my food everyday and try to exercise everyday as well as drink tons of water! Can't wait for this winter to be over.....even though the snow can be beautiful!
    Hugs to all!!!!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Thousands are attending a local Global Warming Protest today!

Globalwarmingprotest.jpg
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    A warm welcome back to all who have posted here before. It's like visiting with friends to see so many familiar names.

Welcome to all the new comers. It has been said before and I will say it again, this is a great group to be part of. There is a lot of support.

Barb & Rebel – Sorry to hear the tickers went the wrong way. Hopefully, February will be the turn around month for both of you.

Mary – I hope the water comes back and your school district ended up canceling.

Nyll54 – Hang in there. You are on a tough journey for any age and our age makes it harder. You can do this. Good luck with your health issues.

Mac- I’m with you on adjusting my ticker every week. Not sure what day of the week yet, but it is an easy change to make and I need to make some changes.

If I missed anyone who loss last month - congratulations to you!

I do think the site is acting weird so I may have missed some losses or some holiday gains.

Today is my 2nd day off from work due to the weather. Since I work for a University and not a regular school, let me just say they don't cancel classes that often. So this is real special weather we are having.

Today's problems in a string format: M&D have no water on their side of the house. 2 of 3 bathroom on our side have no water. The furnace for M&D can't keep up and it is only 65 in there. (new one on order) M&D won't leave their chairs and come over to sit by our fire, so we took our space heaters and put them next to their chairs. Moab (one of our horses) had so much snow on his feet that his front feet were 6 inches off the ground and sliding out from underneath him. He was sitting like a dog on his back side. We had to have the horseshoer come over and pull his shoes as an emergency in -10 degree weather. It is so cold that I don't think I can go out and shovel the driveway and have called to get plowed out. My feet are still cold from being out with the horse.

I know I am eating too much due to the cold and I hope I can get warm enough to stick to 1200 calories a day.

If you are having bad weather, stay warm and stay safe.

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    so this is what I accomplished for january
    95.1 Miles out of 120 goal
    792 squats out of 1000
    798 crunches out of 1000
    140 pushups out of 250

I did good on the water until Vegas.

the wedding and going to work really thru me for a loop. I hope i can find a rythm for february.
  • sassy_sandi
    sassy_sandi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    how canI join this group?..I am closer to 60 than 50 but plan on looking gorgeous (with a little help from my friends) at 60..May 2012.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump/Groundhog Day :happy:
    I wasn't planning on getting out today, but it's dang cold on the motorcycle for the big kid!
    I figured I'd hit the gym since I was already out....half hour on the elliptical, full hour yoga & another working core.
    Awesome workout today :)

Came home for some protein replenish & laundry.

I'll have to get the kids to campus again tomorrow and then Zumba (my ultimate fav) & Power Yoga.

Get your water ladies...64 ounces today, 90+ yesterday.

Snow's coming this way....stay warm :smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Alice,:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Your picture is priceless. I am going to post it on another thread where we have been talking about the lousy weather, and I will give you "credit" for having posted it.

Barb
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to join this group! MFP is my 1st social networking experience. January has been a good month with losing 6 pounds based on Dr. Mark Hyman's Ultrametabolism detox diet. I will be healthy and whole in 2011! However, came down with a nuisance cold which limited my workouts. Therefore, workouts mainly consist of walking and easy yoga. Looking forward to this February blog.

Happy Chinese New Year tomorrow!
    Year of the Rabbit Prediction
    Feb. 3, 2011 - Jan. 22, 2012
    By Stephanie Dempsey
    Feb. 3, 2011 begins the Year of the Metal Rabbit. This will come as a relief following the tremendous highs and lows brought during 2010, which was ruled by the fierce Tiger. The Rabbit's peaceful nature combines with the noble, protective Metal element to usher in a gentle phase governed by diplomacy. Compromise will yield more impressive results than threats.
    This Chinese New Year will allow more time for family pursuits. Spending time with your nearest and dearest will take precedence over work and romantic love. If you're estranged from your relatives, this is your chance to make amends. Alternately, you can create a supportive network of friends and neighbors that provide unconditional love. In the event you enjoy strong family ties, you may find yourself at a big reunion, wedding or birthday celebration.
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Of course, you can join...60s is the new 30s anyway!:wink:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just popping in really quickly here. I have returned to work and have less time to spend online--especially since I have been working on some new jewelry pieces in the evenings. I hope to start selling my jewelry soon and want a good selection for that!

gcwelcome3.gif to our new ladies!

My grandson is crawling and starting to cruise when possible. He is in to EVERYTHING! But he is SO sweet and almost always happy.

I am paying attention to my portions, eating good, healthy foods and drinking lots of water but not getting any exercise outside of work right now. I hope to get that started but right now I am just getting used to my new schedule.

I will be reading as often as I can. I always get so much inspiration from reading your posts.
  • msh0530
    Options
    how canI join this group?..I am closer to 60 than 50 but plan on looking gorgeous (with a little help from my friends) at 60..May 2012.

All you have to do is jump in! Welcome! We don't care if you are approaching a big birthday, last time I checked 60 was 50+. Best of luck to you!