Pregnancy 2011-February

Options

Replies

• brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    So I have to admit that I ended up getting that quad screen blood test done. I told myself over and over again that the heart focus was nothing to worry about and that my baby was fine. I ended up having a slight break down. Poor hubby :heart: . Anyway. They called today with the results and said that all of my hormone levels were normal and that there is no increased risk of down syndrome or any neural tube defects. Emma is fine! I need to chill with the worrying, but seriously they can't expect me to react calmly when they say my baby may have down syndrome. I think any woman who is pregnant for the first time (or any time for that matter) would worry.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    understand a lot of people want to take some "better safe than sorry" type of approach to pregnancy and deprive themselves of all kinds of things they enjoy but that's total BS in my opinion. I'm already avoiding excessive amounts of caffeine (:heart:), alcohol (:heart:), and taking medicine that's actually effective when I have head, neck, and back pain (:heart:) among other things I enjoy. I'll be damned if I'm going to also stop eating peanut butter and sweet potatoes and spinach and carrots and tofu and stop washing my face and cleaning my house and (insert the rest of the neverending list that overly paranoid pregnant women have developed here). :grumble:

AMEN!!!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    So I have to admit that I ended up getting that quad screen blood test done. I told myself over and over again that the heart focus was nothing to worry about and that my baby was fine. I ended up having a slight break down. Poor hubby :heart: . Anyway. They called today with the results and said that all of my hormone levels were normal and that there is no increased risk of down syndrome or any neural tube defects. Emma is fine! I need to chill with the worrying, but seriously they can't expect me to react calmly when they say my baby may have down syndrome. I think any woman who is pregnant for the first time (or any time for that matter) would worry.

Glad to hear you had the test done and have put your mind at ease. I would have been worrying as well. I believe most women would have been concerned had they been in your position.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I had to come back and apologize for the mini-rant in my last post. There has been a lot of "oh, you shouldn't do that because you're pregnant" around me lately (not here, just pretty much everywhere else!) & on top of my crazy pregnant woman hormones that kind of stuff is driving me bonkers.

Brittony -- I'm so glad everything looks good for Emma! And so glad for you that you didn't get one of those false positives that screening is so notorious for giving.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I’m sitting at my desk eating yummy sweet potato fries and talking to one of the pregnant women in my office. She said she loves sweet potato fries but can’t eat them until after she has the baby because they are too high in vitamin A and that can cause birth defects. What?????:noway: :noway: I couldn’t say anything because no one knows I’m pregnant yet, but at that point I had eaten pretty much all of them. I looked online and that is true but from everything I read it’s only a problem if I’m eating them every day, which I don't. The last time I had some was months ago. But now I’m freaking out a little bit.

I think you are probably okay. I wouldn't worry about it. hmm.. now I want them :smile:

Vitamin A in sweet potatoes is from beta-carotene which has no affect or cause of birth defects or miscarriage in any dose. The fat-soluble Vitamin A is the type that at very large doses can cause (VERY RARELY) defects. Sweet potatoes are not off limits in any amount when pregnant.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I’m sitting at my desk eating yummy sweet potato fries and talking to one of the pregnant women in my office. She said she loves sweet potato fries but can’t eat them until after she has the baby because they are too high in vitamin A and that can cause birth defects. What?????:noway: :noway: I couldn’t say anything because no one knows I’m pregnant yet, but at that point I had eaten pretty much all of them. I looked online and that is true but from everything I read it’s only a problem if I’m eating them every day, which I don't. The last time I had some was months ago. But now I’m freaking out a little bit.

Please go ahead and enjoy your sweet potato fries. :flowerforyou: Pregnant women are effing crazy.

I have read you should try to limit your **daily** intake of Vitamin A to 3000mcg. An entire sweet potato has about half that amount. For that matter, I see it written time and time again that it's the Vitamin A supplements you should avoid, not necessarily foods containing Vitamin A. So, as long as you're eating more than just soley sweet potatoes & carrots & spinach & pumpkin & squash (which also contain high amounts of Vit A) and you're not pumping Vitamin A supplements, you're going to be just fine!

I understand a lot of people want to take some "better safe than sorry" type of approach to pregnancy and deprive themselves of all kinds of things they enjoy but that's total BS in my opinion. I'm already avoiding excessive amounts of caffeine (:heart:), alcohol (:heart:), and taking medicine that's actually effective when I have head, neck, and back pain (:heart:) among other things I enjoy. I'll be damned if I'm going to also stop eating peanut butter and sweet potatoes and spinach and carrots and tofu and stop washing my face and cleaning my house and (insert the rest of the neverending list that overly paranoid pregnant women have developed here). :grumble:

LOL I agree. I say - morons have been reproducing for years and the % of birth defects has not skyrocketed - I think if they can do it, that those of us of normal intelligence will be just fine. :laugh: I figure that pretty much anything outside of drugs, alcohol, or stabbing yourself in the stomach is find in moderation.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

Yea! :bigsmile: I'm so happy for you and Emma!
  • ron2282
    Options
    I understand a lot of people want to take some "better safe than sorry" type of approach to pregnancy and deprive themselves of all kinds of things they enjoy but that's total BS in my opinion. I'm already avoiding excessive amounts of caffeine (:heart:), alcohol (:heart:), and taking medicine that's actually effective when I have head, neck, and back pain (:heart:) among other things I enjoy. I'll be damned if I'm going to also stop eating peanut butter and sweet potatoes and spinach and carrots and tofu and stop washing my face and cleaning my house and (insert the rest of the neverending list that overly paranoid pregnant women have developed here). :grumble:

Trust me you are not alone! I have no issues giving up drinking and things that are obviously bad for the baby, but some things are just ridiculous. I had someone tell me yesterday that I shouldn’t have chocolate because of the caffeine. Do not tell a pregnant woman she cannot have chocolate. It was a fun size Hershey’s bar. It’s not like I was eating it by the case load. :angry: She made me feel like I was already a horrible mom because I wanted chocolate.
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I am so excited. My husband just got called to interview with our top choice for grad schools! YAY! :happy: Now he has/had 3 interviews and 1 acceptance already. The first week of March we should find out if he gets accepted to the school we really want. :) I found out that about 300+ apply, 100 get an interview and 60 get accepted. Fingers crossed!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    No sweet potatoes, that is the funniest thing I ever heard!
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Please go ahead and enjoy your sweet potato fries. :flowerforyou: Pregnant women are effing crazy.

I have read you should try to limit your **daily** intake of Vitamin A to 3000mcg. An entire sweet potato has about half that amount. For that matter, I see it written time and time again that it's the Vitamin A supplements you should avoid, not necessarily foods containing Vitamin A. So, as long as you're eating more than just soley sweet potatoes & carrots & spinach & pumpkin & squash (which also contain high amounts of Vit A) and you're not pumping Vitamin A supplements, you're going to be just fine!

LOL I agree. I say - morons have been reproducing for years and the % of birth defects has not skyrocketed - I think if they can do it, that those of us of normal intelligence will be just fine. :laugh: I figure that pretty much anything outside of drugs, alcohol, or stabbing yourself in the stomach is find in moderation.

BAHAHAA! The last part of this quote really made me laugh out loud! :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I wish we could get a moratorium on house cleaning for pregnancy. I would just hire a maid, and not worry about it! Some people do go overboard with the restrictions. I am just wishing I didn't have to be on the Diabetic diet and could eat what I want to right now. I am too much of an emotional eater and I have not been good this week!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I am so excited. My husband just got called to interview with our top choice for grad schools! YAY! :happy: Now he has/had 3 interviews and 1 acceptance already. The first week of March we should find out if he gets accepted to the school we really want. :) I found out that about 300+ apply, 100 get an interview and 60 get accepted. Fingers crossed!

Congrats! Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    So as many of you ladies know I have regained my eating skills this past weekend. I had still been eating kind of cautiously because I didn't want to get sick again... until today. After not eating for 8 weeks, today I tried to eat everything I had been missing. I ate my normal breakfast and lunch... I got home from work at four and had some cheez-its... then I went to get some juice from the fridge and saw the piece of pizza my hubby had left over... ate that... then I hate some cheerios.... so the hubby gets home 2 hours later... I made chicken and veggie stir-fry with rice.... and an apply. holy moly, I am STUFFED. ha, now that I have indulged I really need to not let that happen again. I was worried about not gaining but now I need to start thinking about gaining the right amounts!
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had the flu during pregnancy. I meant to get a flu shot, but I always had a little bit of a cold, so never got one. Now, I am miserable. I have been sick since last Wednesday with what I thought was a bad a head cold. By Saturday I thought I was better. Then Sunday, coughing so hard that I was throwing up. Went to urgent care, he wouldn't prescribe tamaflu since it's category C drug and pretty much said liquids and rest and tylenol for fever. Tuesday morning my symptoms were still present and I had an appointment with my OBgyn. He gave me a z-pack concerned that I had respiratory infection. I am still miserable after 2 days on the antibiotics, and stressed cause I am missing so much work, and time with my 3 year old :( Uggh. I am hoping after a good nights rest I will be feeling a little better. Just a little rant, cause I am stuck in bed and have nothing better to do.

I hope you are all doing and feeling well. Love reading all the posts.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Brittony- glad you got the test done, it is nice to get that off of your mind and now you will feel more relaxed about the whole situation and can make preparations for Emma without that lurking in the back of your head

AnneElise-yes be careful, that is when I had my biggest weight gain. It feels so good to eat again that it is easy to get caught up in it, that is until you see the scale. I eat less than my 6 year old but he is a growing boy and I only induldge on the weekends. Still probably too much but better than it could be :wink:

Littlespy- I hate people telling me stuff about what I eat in pregnancy, that is like the whole hot dog/cold cut thing. I DID NOT give those up but do eat them in moderation. I laugh when my MIL tells me that coffee and soda is bad for the baby. I think as long as I am not putting anything dangerous in my body, not drinking and not smoking then I am doing TONS better than many people out there. Wait til the baby comes and everyone tells you how to take care of it, it is super annoying!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Has anyone had the flu during pregnancy. I meant to get a flu shot, but I always had a little bit of a cold, so never got one. Now, I am miserable. I have been sick since last Wednesday with what I thought was a bad a head cold. By Saturday I thought I was better. Then Sunday, coughing so hard that I was throwing up. Went to urgent care, he wouldn't prescribe tamaflu since it's category C drug and pretty much said liquids and rest and tylenol for fever. Tuesday morning my symptoms were still present and I had an appointment with my OBgyn. He gave me a z-pack concerned that I had respiratory infection. I am still miserable after 2 days on the antibiotics, and stressed cause I am missing so much work, and time with my 3 year old :( Uggh. I am hoping after a good nights rest I will be feeling a little better. Just a little rant, cause I am stuck in bed and have nothing better to do.

I hope you are all doing and feeling well. Love reading all the posts.

I am sorry that you are feeling badly. I had the flu 2 weeks ago. It was terrible. Just took lots and lots of rest... and time.
  • ron2282
    Options

That's great! Fingers crossed for you!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I have a totally weird and random observation. I have noticed over the past... probably 3-4 days that my cat has been totally going crazy for me. Normally our cat is pretty chill, and plays mostly with my hubby as the cat was initially his and was a year old by the time I came into the picture.

Well, for the past little bit, the minute I am in the door from work the cat is rubbin up on me and meowing in meows I have not heard before. The minute I sit down he jumps up in my lap and rubs his head into me, and starts purring and wants pets. It is definately different than normal- he has been ignoring hubby and just wants mama!

I am wondering if he can smell my hormones or something? It just seems weird.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have a totally weird and random observation. I have noticed over the past... probably 3-4 days that my cat has been totally going crazy for me. Normally our cat is pretty chill, and plays mostly with my hubby as the cat was initially his and was a year old by the time I came into the picture.

Well, for the past little bit, the minute I am in the door from work the cat is rubbin up on me and meowing in meows I have not heard before. The minute I sit down he jumps up in my lap and rubs his head into me, and starts purring and wants pets. It is definately different than normal- he has been ignoring hubby and just wants mama!

I am wondering if he can smell my hormones or something? It just seems weird.

I think animals can sense the pregnancy, my chiuaua becomes very protective of me. He is more laid back this time around but in the past he has growled at people for trying to come close to me or especially if they tried to rub my tummy.