Greek Yogurt is sooooo yucky! What can I do to make it taste

Options

Replies

• hennessy1080
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, however, I don't like the one you tried. The best is Brown Cow, so creamy and wonderful. Also Dannon makes a great Vanilla one. I just like how creamy it is. I usually get the vanilla and mix in fresh berries for a yummy treat.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    isnt greek yogurt way high in calories compaired to say non fat plain put your own fruit in ?
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Put it in the blender with some berries and honey and then let it sit overnight... the sweetness will move throughout the yogurt more and it'll taste better.

Truthfully, I use it more as a sour cream substitute in Chilis and dips than I do as an actual yogurt!
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    Options
    CHOBANI ROCKS..... I LOVE it... to me, it's the best yogurt around..... If you dont like CHO, then more than likely greek yogurt isnt for you.... MORE for me :))
  • lilmisslanna
    lilmisslanna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    no all Greek yogurt tastes the same!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fage greek yogurt from Trader Joes.. or wherever else you can find it!
  • ladiluvbug83
    ladiluvbug83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use the yoplait greek yogurt with fruit on bottom (strawberry or any favor) and add 1 cup skim milk 1 tbsp splenda pop in blenda and makes an excellent smoothie :drinker: and you get extra protien. I am with you i can't eat it straight out of container YUCK!! YUCK!! :sick:
    Sarah
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Try total fage fat free Greek yogurt. Much creamier. Also, I add 1 tbsp of raisins, 2 tsp agave, and a dash of cinnamon to my chobni non fat plain yogurt.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. Problem solved. :)
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I buy the Plain Nonfat Dannon Greek yogurt and mix it with sugar free jelly.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I hate pretty much all yogurt. I just can't eat it, especially the plain versions.The only way I can stomach some of the fruity flavors is to mix it with granola. Same thing with cottage cheese. Yuck.

The solution - I don't eat it! Don't force feed yourself something you don't like. You tried it, it didn't work out. There are plenty of other healthy high protein options for you. Try a low fat cheese stick instead. The cracker barrel 2% extra sharp cheddar sticks are awesome! I also eat a lot of clif bars and other protein bars - the mini clif bars are 100 calories and a great little protein snack. You could look into protein shakes as well.

For what it's worth - Fage is supposed to be the best greek yogurt, so maybe try that before you give up totally or choke down something you hate.I use it a lot for cooking and baking.
  • jonny_gee
    Options
    Wow, In UK Greek yoghurt is delicious. Great with honey, or tinned madarins/sastumas/pineapple
  • tristanathan
    Options
    I love the versatility of greek yogurt. It can be breakfast, a snack, a dip, a high protein replacement for sour cream, a sauce (think chicken enchillada sauce or stroganoff sauce) and I've used it as such. Of the chobani with fruit in the bottom, peach is my favorite. To sweeten plain Greek yogurt, try truvia sweetner packets. They have no calories and are twice as sweet as sugar, so add one at time until you find the right mix. That way you still get the sweet without the calories.
  • Kimmerz1
    Kimmerz1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!

Greek Yogurt is DELICIOUS!! Are you trying the "plain" ones because yoplait 2x greek yogurt is super delicious espically the honey vanilla, blueberry and the strawberry.
  • xoopsyxdaizyx
    Options
    add a tbsp of honey. seriously. its been my latest obsession!
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I had Chobani regular yogurt and it was the most digusting thing ever. I may have to try a different flavor or something.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Try getting the 2% plain, and adding your own fruit, honey, etc. It has a creamier flavor to it. Or, try the Fage greek yogurt, it doesn't have the aftertaste that the chobani has.

Haven't tasted chobani but the Fage is the one i eat!!!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Try this. It s pretty good and very filling and will curb your chocolate cravings.

CHOCOLOTE YOGURT

½ cup - - Oikos - Organic Greek Yogurt - Plain 0% Fat
    ½ tsp - - McCormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp - - Hershey - Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
    6 tsp - - Great Value - No Calorie Sweetener (Loose -- Not In Individual Packets)
    1 scoop -- Jillian Michaels - Natural Whey Protein Triple Chocolate Shake
    1 to 2 oz – water

Mix all together adding water as you go. It should be the consistency of pudding.

Per Serving: 181 calories, 16 g carbs, 3 g fat. 28 g protein, 9 g sugar, 5 g fiber
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how people's tastes are different. I gag when I eat regular yoplait yogurts, but LOVE~LOVE~LOVE Greek yogurt. I prefer Fage brand. I mix it with protein powder (vanilla) and cinnamon in the morning then top that with berries or Kashi cereal. Try mixing in a touch of Agave nectar if you are looking for some sweetness. As for savory applications, the sky is the limit. I add a bit of garlic, EVOO and salt and pepper for a wonderful dip.

Fage is certainly the brand to try. I agree with previous posters ~ not that same aftertaste. Hope the suggestions help, but know that it really isn't a huge deal if you never acquire a taste for it. Brussel sprouts are healthy, but I wouldn't be caught dead with one!!!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use Fage 0%. I use it in place of sour cream, but if I want it sweet, I add honey to it.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    isnt greek yogurt way high in calories compaired to say non fat plain put your own fruit in ?

The one I use is a fat-free Greek yogurt, high in calcium and protein, only 120 calories per cup. And a cup is a lot of yogurt. I only use a half cup with my breakfast.