WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• zuback55
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day ......I am a newbie to this site and am still trying to find my way around. I hope I can find your 50+ group again and follow a little closer. I joined on Jan 20, 2011 and have kept up my diaries pretty good....But....I have not lost a single pound. I know that the food diary has helped out lots and I see where my faults lie....just need to work on myself. I am 56 and weigh 230 lbs. and am just under 5' 5"......I would like to be under 200 by summer as my first goal. My grand daughter is 2 and will be visiting me this summer and I really want to be able to play with her and not be played out before I start. Wish me Luck and I will be back to this site again. Glad there is support out there for some of us that are over 50...Thanks!!!!
  • mrsanderson404
    Options
    bkrbabe...LOVE your outlook....I need to see when I reach that milestone....should be pretty soon....baby steps y'all!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    It's great to read the messages on this board.

Debra: I am having fun with my HRM..thanks to some help from people here. I am finding that today I was able to challenge myself and see my calories burned go up....not as high as MFP says though! I like having the information and it is really helping me get to the gym.

Tammy: Welcome. I've only been on this board for a couple of weeks and it is really helping me. Connecting with others ...where we have so much in common is a great help.

Mary: I hope you enjoy your daughter's visit..how exciting. In a few weeks, my husband and I are going to visit my godchild in Houston. I miss her so much...I can't wait to see her and her new place.

Robin: Beautiful pictures of you and your family!

Peggy: I hope you enjoy your special dinner.

Have a great night all!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine’s Day:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: Robin, thank you for posting the pictures……you look fabulous (so does your daughter and the rest of the wedding party)

:heart: Michele, thank you for reminding me of the bad side effects of unhealthy eating…sometimes I think that I could have a day of bad eating just for fun now that I’ve reached my goal weight and I forget that there would more consequences than just the extra calories.

:heart: Vicki, congratulations on avoiding the temptations….I know you’re on the right path…..I see you sticking to your plan one day at a time.

:heart: Amanda, congratulation on losing another pound…..you are amazing

:heart: Tammy, thanks for helping us get to know you…..it’s tough being far away from the people you love……..I can tell you that spiritual principles have helped me with my weight loss journey…..I wish the same for you

:heart: Debra, we found a house that we want to buy and made an offer contingent on the sale of our house…..it’s about six miles from where we are now……we have to stay focused on the packing and cleaning and not get too emotionally involved in the new place….it would be so easy to put a lot of energy into making plans for the new place when the big hurdle is getting our house sold.

:heart: Zuback, welcome to the group…..now that you’ve posted, this thread will come up under the tab “My Topics” so it will be easy to find……..stick with us and you’ll learn more about healthy eating and exercise and before long you’ll be one of the “big losers”

:heart: :love: Hubby and I had a special dinner (lean turkey ham, squash, and cauliflower) and enjoyed a wonderful afternoon together…….for us, every day is Valentine’s Day.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    gvalentinesday79.gif

and Welcome to all our newbies!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

As usual I don't have time to respond to everyone but--

Robin, both you and your daughter are beautiful! What lovely pictures!

Mimi--I do not like touch pads at all! (I have a wireless mouse for my netbook!) My smartphone is an older model but I love it. It has a keypad and works great.

Everyone--I hope we all have a wonderful week. Mine is going good so far (it IS only Monday after all!).

Well, the lights are flickering so I'd better post this before we lose our internet connection. We are having one TERRIFIC wind and rain storm right now!
  • marlouise
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Had a rough morning, abdomiin was bloated so it hurt, and made me nausiated. Headache on that set me back in bed. I am the one to get up before six on my days off to feed the cats, they had some time trying to figure way mom said here baby up on the table, stairs, couch:noway: I could not bend very well so they had higher meals this morning. I had some warmed up prunes, and two cups of coffee, and decided that was all for now and tea for the rest of the day. Tried to eat some supper tonight just to keep my sugars from crashing, however a few bites and I could not take any more. :sick:
    I'm hoping it is just that my system had some trauma and this is a aftermath of it. I could lose some weight, but it would not be healthy. Tried to get some compensation for my leave of work, called the number I thought was right, turns out it was not. The kind gentlemen gave me the right number to call. Now I have to fill an application online, before goiing to the office. So much has changed in the last 21 years.

Okay ladies that is the report for today, I must get back to bed my back is getting sore.

Love to all,

Marilyn
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Happy Valentine’s Day everyone. Sugar is sweet but you are sweeter! :love:

Speaking of sugar…I’ve been sticking to non-sugary things for several days now but had some chocolate today (a whole bar of Lindt’s Intense Dark Chocolate) and a Whitman’s Sampler chocolate (yech :noway: ) my DGD gave me and I felt obligated to eat. I am paying for it now. My tum is not happy about all the sugar. :sick: I’ll try to keep this in mind next time I’m tempted. :devil:

Amanda, you’re a trooper to keep going with a painful knee. I’m so sorry for your son-in-law’s sister. Her situation must be agonizing. I hope the remaining twin does well. A 26” waist?! That’s amazing. That really is tiny. :flowerforyou:

I was thinking about your upcoming surgery. I know you’re a vegetarian and that seems to require some extra attention when you’re having surgery. My dad was almost a vegetarian and slightly anemic. He wasn’t healing well after he had surgery. My sister, who is a dietitian, suggested he eat more red meat and other protein.

After my dad changed his diet, he began healing much faster. As you are truly a vegetarian, red meat won’t work. Maybe there are some other sources of protein and iron that would be help build up your healing-ability.

Mary, I’m glad you’ll be seeing your daughter! I’m smiling at how happy you sound. :happy:

Tammy, I’m so thankful to be close to most of my family. I hope things work out for you to move back in a year or so. Good work on the new way of eating and exercising. I like your attitude! (It’s always good to be reminded that it’s all about one day at a time.)

Debra, I had some help getting rid of some of my “stuff.” I’d already gotten rid of a lot of it when I moved into my tiny (750 sq ft) place but I couldn’t bear to get rid of some of it…so, it stayed in bins (for the last 12 or 15 years!) :laugh:

My daughter helped me go through several of the bins and that helped me get rid of a lot of things I’ll never use again. For instance, the beautiful (to me :tongue: ) Mario Buatta rose fabric chintz pillows I used to have on my beautiful (again, to me:tongue: ) Waverley trellis-patterned chintz loveseats. Honestly, they were beautiful when I used them – all those years ago. Now, they’re “vintage.” Same with a lot of my “stuff.”

Some will go to the charity shop and some I’ll put on eBay (or I’ll twist my other daughter’s arm to do eBay for me. I’m a terrible seller (but a great buyer!). My motto is “Buy high, sell low.” It was a big help having my daughter’s more objective opinion. I was too sentimental about all those things I really don’t want to use again.

Kackie, it’s so nice seeing your smiling face.

Woo hoo, Peggy. “Overweight” is so much more appealing than “Obese.” I just entered that territory too. “Normal” is just around the corner! We are really doing it!

Welcome Zuback. When I started MFP, one of my goals was to be able to get down on the floor to play with my grandkids, and GET BACK UP AGAIN! I’m happy to report that I can do that. What a difference eating healthfully and exercising more make. It really does work. :drinker:

Awww, Barbie, “every day is Valentine’s Day” is about the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard! How nice to feel that way about your husband. You sound like a newlywed! :smile:

Thanks to everyone for the Valentine’s wishes. They warm my heart.

There are so many posts, I couldn't respond to everyone but I've read all your posts and am thinking about each of you.
    :heart:
  • joylaut
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Happy Valentine's Day, Everyone. Welcome new people. I think you will love this group. I've been very inspired by reading other's struggles, successes and weight lost!!!

Like some of you mentioned recently, sweets are my downfall. I saw the scale dropping another couple pounds last week, was eager to do my Monday weigh in, only to find that my indulging in some sweets this weekend caused an increase.:grumble: Next time, I will just donate money to the pet rescue organization instead of buying their baked goods. :ohwell:

My incredibly romantic DH took me out to a French restaurant tonight. Most of the choices I made were good ones, but I did have dessert and champagne. So I'm not logging in to my food diary ( I couldn't begin to figure out the calories of all the speciality items anyway) BUT I will go for a nice long walk tomorrow morning. Also, I only had a protein drink this morning and nothing else all day. Not a good health habit but it managed my calories for the day

A while ago one of you dolls gave me a link to a thread about using apple cider vinegar to curb that sweet tooth. I did start with it last week, but still a new habit so I forget a lot of times. It is supposed to be good for metabolism, too. I'll let you know how it goes when I get more consistent.
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

Another beautiful day here in Bahrain. Enjoying it before the temperature turns the temperature of the planet Mercury.

Another Year Older - No I do not have to wear a scarf here, only in the mosque when you go in to see them. It is funny that you asked tho...Saudi is only 26 km away over a causeway. I kept telling my friends and family, "I'm afraid to drive because what if I accidentally get on the causeway and get into Saudi without a scarf" We all laugh, hahaha :huh: My husband and I were out the other day just exploring, of course as with most men he knows exactly where he is and doesn't need to consult a map or ask instructions. Where did we end up...yup the causeway. But I now know there are booths who stop you before heading over. The gentleman did turn up around, but then you have to go through another gate and explain to an official that you got on by accident. Of course it was funny in the end, and this is just another incident I can hold over my husband's head :laugh: Love you honey.

The dress here is conservative. You do see people who wear short sleeve, spaghetti straps, shorts, etc. But it is frowned upon. I am of the opinion that I am a guest in their country so I wear conservative clothing. In the compounds that you live in it is whatever you want to wear. I know "compound"...the mere word use to make me feel like I was a prisoner. They are a group of homes that are walled in with a guard and gate. We only have 10 villas in our compound, some have as many as 30+.

Ladies my husband just asked me if I was writing a book because he is anxious to enter his food and workout. Have an amazing day and just remember how wonderful we are all! :happy:

Linda
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Had a good Valentine Supper with my honey. Went to outback and I had salad, no cheese or croutons or drressing, chicken on barbie and veggies light style. Was good meal and I feel good because I did not cheat. Then we came home and spent some time together. The best day because he took a day off of work. He works a lot so that was really special. We dont exchange gifts. Never did get into that trap.
    Some of you asked about my plan. It is the 17 day 'diet plan. the guy was on Dr. Phil and the doctors and my godchild ordered the book and tried it so she loaned it to me. Basically his belief is that you need to change things up every 17 days so your body does not get used to one thing. The first 17 it is lean meats like chicken, fish and turkey, unlimited amounts and unlimited amounts of veggies, 2 fruits a day before 2 pm and 2 servings of probiotics (fat free or low sugar like greek yogurt, cottage cheese)
    You can also have 2 good fats olive oil or flaxseed oil 2 tbsp I believe. Lots and lots and lots of water. you start each day with glass of warm water with lemon in it. He says this gets you body going in the morn. Breakfast has been the hardest but it is getting better. If you want more details just let me know and I will post or send you some sample meals. The first 3 days were hard but when I started being creative with my veggies it got better. He says you should lose about 10 pounds the first 17 days. I lost 9 first week so dont know what this week will bring. The 2nd 17 days you add a few carbs. He even has a maintenance plan which is very doable. It is basically eating healthy with a jumpstart. Hope that helps. Going eat breakfast will post later. By the way I have no cravings for anything including sugar. That is the best part.
    Vicki M
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers for my son. I really appreciate them. From the number of you who responded with similar situations, I realize that this sort of thing is not that uncommon. I will include you in my prayers and hope that we all have things work out for our family members.

I hope to be able to start reading posts again soon. I did see the one on the eggplant. It sounds like how I make chicken. It is probably wonderful.

Jeannie

PS: DS is still in the hospital, but should be released soon. Hubby does not want him home, so that is a new issue. I may be on my own with all this.
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I'm happy to report 3 pounds gone!!! :bigsmile: I'd usually wait a few days to see if it sticks but I'm determined to keep heading in the right direction so I'm claiming it (and holding on tight!) It feels so good to be back on track. Changing my diet is making a big difference. Eating at home helps a lot too.

Two of you MFPers also offered suggestions/ideas that are helping. :flowerforyou:

MacMadame suggested weighing and recording your weight once a week. I had been weighing but ignoring the ups and downs. No more! (I've actually recorded my weight twice this week and will again on Friday, which will become my regular weigh-in. Fridays work better for me - I usually do well during the week and get a boost from seeing it on the scale on Friday.)

Kathy (PMJSmom) mentioned that she has MFP come up as her home page. I'm doing that now. What a great way to start the day.

I'm eating in a similar way to Vicki M except that I'm not limiting fat. Absolutely no sugars (except those in yogurt, etc.) though. I made an exception yesterday and ate some chocolate. I paid for it. Good motivation to keep chocolate way down. (I don't plan to give it up entirely though. :wink: )

My inspiration for my diet is the Primal Blueprint - it's about eating as our caveman forebears did. Lots of meat, fish, veggies, and fruit. I've cut out grains, potatoes, beans, etc. It is agreeing with me.

I used to get a cranky tum frequently - no big deal, but annoying. I figured it was from lactose or all the fruits and veggies I ate. Apparently not so. Eliminating grains (which is the biggest change for me) seems to have done it. No more stomach aches since I changed my diet. :happy:

The other things that has changed (I'm afraid to say it in case it's just coincidence....) is that the skin on my hands, which cuts and bruised so easily, is better. Maybe coincidence or maybe the extra protein. I would love to have hands that didn't belong on an 80 or 90 year old body!

Darlis - just thinking about you. Hope things are going well. Chiclet - thinking about you too. Haven't heard anything lately but know you have your hands full with your mom.

Jeannie - hang in there. Your attitude is amazing in a very tough situation.

Have a good day everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • zuback55
    Options
    :frown: I didn't do very good for Valentine's Supper out and all they had was buffet....I did ok and not stuffed myself, but sure there must have been around 3000 calories in my supper.....but went for a walk today with my husband, who is backing me all the way and not harping on me for falling off. I will get on track....but I have decided that in order to do a life style change, I am not going to cut out anything......going for the moderation!!!!! Hope that it works for me....just need to get more exercise!!!!:bigsmile:
    I guess there is no "magic" answer.....I have been on many many diets and found that when I just about reached a goal, I rewarded myself with something I was "not allowed to have" and then would binge eat....be upset with myself....and end up gaining all my wait back and more.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tammy! You'll get lots of support here. Wilmington - wow! We used to live in Kennett Square, PA. You have a great attitude.

mimi - when Vince has tachacardia, what he has found the best thing to do to convert his heartrate back to normal is to strain (like having a bm). That puts pressure on the heart.

Mary - have a great time with your daughter. How I wish dd#3 would stay more than a few days, especially since the stores are closed on Christmas. I'd love to do something with her. Usually, I'm just so busy with Christmas Eve, then everything's shut down on Christmas day, and she leaves the next day. Can't even go out to dinner.

Happy Valentines Day everyone! Have fruit even if it is dipped in chocolate!

Did an hour of deep water today. Hopefully, I can get in some yoga. Tomorrow I have a meeting early in the a.m. at the Y then I'm going to take a spin class there, then take my car to get a new motor mount.

It's in the 60's here today, I opened the door to the porch and the cats think that's the greatest. They loved it when we went to FL last year, so I'm sure they'll love it again this year.

Congrats Peggy on your new "status".

zuback - now that you've posted here, it'll be quite easy to find us. Just go to "my topics", click on that and a link to this site will be there.

barbie - would you belive that I'm STILL feeling the effects of unhealthy eating? Here it is Tues, and I had that major carb attack on Sat. Well, it COULD be worse, that's for sure.

Did an hour of spinning today. Tomorrow I'll do an hour DVD of weights. I really like Jari Love's DVD's. Then Thurs. we'll leave for FL. I may be able to do some exercising before we leave. Bought a new Leslie Sansone DVD and Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights. Collegevideo says that you can do it with just dumbells, you don't really need kettlebells (I don't have them), yet the reviews on amazon said that you really need the kettlebells. Maybe I'll try out that new Leslie Sansone DVD Thurs a.m.

Started today with a 7:00 meeting at the Y (which meant I had to leave at 6:30). Then took the spinning class. Then took my car for the new motor mount. They told me it was covered by the warranty but when they went to get a confirmation number, they were told that I have a $100 deductible. Hopefully, Vince has the paperwork and if we don't have a deductible, we'll get reimbursed. Then on to WalMart, had to go to a jewlers since my HRM was saying that it had a low battery & WM wouldn't change it until the battery was totally dead, then to the mall (wanted to find this one shirt in a SP, I'd accidentally put my SP in the dryer, they only had a MP, so hopefully, that one will shrink in the dryer. If not, the Salvation Army will get a donation.), went to another store at the mall looking for jeans that have a flare but couldn't find any in my size, then to Target where I needed to return a DVD that I bought (the reviews weren't that great), then home to make brownies for Vince, tonight we're playing Bunco with the Newcomers. I like Bunco, it's fast moving and you are interacting with lots of different people.

mimi - your motto might be "buy high, sell low", my motto is "buy"...lol

joylaut - I almost always just donate to the cause rather than buying the candy bar, unless I know someone who can use it. I probably could donate the candy bars to the soup kitchen, but really, if I give a donation they get 100% of the money rather than the percentage if I'd bought the candy. But I am a sucker for Girl Scout cookies. I do try to buy the ones that only Vince will eat, I won't touch the peanut butter patties so I buy them for him. He won't touch the thin mints (I know, what's wrong with him?) but Jessica will eat them.

Everyone, have a great evening. Have to log my food, curl my hair, then go to this one gal's house to go to another's for the Bunco.

Michele
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Well, it took me half a month to get hopelessly behind in reading the thread... that's actually a lot better than it has been. :laugh:

Went to Tahoe with some friends this past weekend. I moved around more than I expected given that I didn't board or ski or do the snowboard race but I also consumed alcohol and so went over on my calories and under on my protein ... somewhat as expected.

My weight is really high right now but I can feel my hip bones again so I am hoping that it's just water weight from eating out a lot and not drinking enough water. I guess I'll find out in the next few days...
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Zuback, I just wanted to mention (in case it's useful to you) that moderation never worked for me. I'd always end up feeling deprived and I don't do deprivation. After many years (40?) of dieting then gaining back the weight, my approach now is working.

I cut out all refined carbs - the whites - such as things made with white flour, any kind of sugar, white potatoes etc. (That doesn't mean I never ate them but almost never.) At the same time, I started eating lots (lots!) more veggies and fruit. I learned to roast my veggies (spray with olive oil and stick them in the oven at 475 for 10-15 minutes, depending on what you're cooking. 10 or fewer minutes for asparagus, 15 for mini-peppers, eggplant, etc. These are NOT my mother's veggies! Turns out I like veggies. Who'd a thunk?

It took 2 days to get the cravings out of my system initially and always takes another 2 days any time I go far off my eating plan. I figure I can get through almost anything for 2 days.

If I continue eating a little of the refined carbs, I'm constantly craving. I do lots better getting rid of the refined foods and the cravings that go along with them altogether. The best part is that I don't feel deprived because I'm full of fruits and veggies, which have become delicious to me. (I call them my willpower because, all of a sudden, I have willpower. Easy peasy when you don't feel deprived.) Again, who'd a thunk?!

I'm doing a little variation on my original diet right now, eliminating grains and some other foods, mostly because I needed to change things up a little. But the basic plan of eliminating refined carbs worked like a dream for me. I never expected to lose so much weight. I feel like a different person. I like it!

Best of luck.
  • mrsanderson404
    Options
    I need to adjust my sugar calories.....one apple nearly puts me at my goal for the day
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    a few more pix
    my girls
    mygirls2-1.jpg
    Brie's bouquet and a center piece
    2flowers.jpg
    The clan (only missing one son)
    adamsclan2-1.jpg
    me and Brie (not profile this time)
    meandbrie2-1.jpgThanks for letting me share
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Robin, thanks for sharing. I love looking at the pics. You and your girls are all beautiful.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Robin, the pictures are great and you look fabulous :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Mimi, I agree with you about moderation......I don't do it well.....there are some foods that if I eat them, my body begs for more.....on the other hand since I've stayed away from white flour, sugar, and simple carbs, I don't crave them and I'm happy with a sweet potato or a bag of frozen cauliflower as a treat.

:flowerforyou: we've done everything we can do to make the house ready to sell, now we just have to trust God and keep cleaning the house.:laugh: