WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Dee - I live smack dab in the middle of the continental USA - Kansas. I'm a sunflower from the Sunflower State!

Marilyn - Way to go! I love progress, even when it's not mine. Keep it up!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday to my favourite group of women.

I'm sorry not to have been around much this past week or so - just been too much of a misery. I'm determined to be better this week. I have one month until I have my heart surgery and need to instil some positivity.

For now, I'm off to pick up my dad then go and visit with my grandtwins followed by a visit to the nursing home to spend time with mum-in-law.

I hope everyone is doing well, keeping safe and warm and making healthy choices.

Love
    Amanda x
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Hope to hear from everyone today. All must have been busy this weekend. MFP was quiet. I weighed in this morning. Another 3.8 pounds. That is 12.8 since starting plan, 2 weeks ago. Hope it continues. Thursday I start on second phase. Will go for now and have my breakfast. Will try back later. Have a good day. Those of you with a holiday enjoy. Not so lucky here.
    Vicki M
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good Mornign Ladies,
    I am feelng motivated today. I have my entire week of meals planned. I cooked all my chicken last night and have it portioned out for my lunches. I convinced DH to do a St. Patty's Day 5K with me and then I convinced him to do a Warrior Dash in July. It should be fun and physical. I also booked a trip to St. Thomas for my birthday. So I really need to get back into bikini shape. I am sure I can do it.

Saturday was my one year anniversary on MFP. I had lost 34 pounds using this site by August. I have put 14 of tha back on and now I will be getting rid of them for good. I feel so confident having my whole week planned out, so I know I can do it.

Welcome Newbies!!!!!

All my love to all of you wonderful women who have helped me so much :love:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Posting from my android phone this morning. I brought a friend to the hospital for her pre-op for knee replacement surgery on Wednesday. I'm doing well today as I made my lunch ahead and brought it with me.

She has three appointments all over town today.
    There is apparently a lot of pre stuff to do before the surgery! Thank goodness I brought a book.

This keyboard is smallish and I don't want to use the speach tool, so I will make this short. Basically I'm testing to see if I can locate the post button on here. I recall reading on here yesterday that someone couldn't find it. If you are reading this it's there to be found - at least on a Motorola android.

Found the edit button too. :laugh:The tool that guesses how to finish your words can result on some odd sentences!:huh:

Faye
  • carorobe
    Options
    Hello. My first post: I have lost a reasonable amount of weight since last June when I reached the "pre-diabetes" stage of poor health. Have focused on weight loss and exercise and am very happy with results so far. Would like to add some runnning (or jogging?) to my exercise program. I used to be a runner in my forties to fifties, but sciatica put a stop to my motivation and practice. Most recent was running about 10 years ago, but then plantar fasciitis got in the way. Now, when I try to run, my knees don't want to do the appropriate folding to allow me to lift my legs. Any advice on how to avoid 1. knee issues, 2. plantar fasciitis, 3. my "guts" falling out the bottom. I am hoping this "Over 50" board may relate to my concerns differently from the twenty- and thirty- something colleagues in my support group.

Thanks.
  • carorobe
    Options
    How are you doing on your plan. That thirty minute thing will be either harsh or verrry motivational! How many times have you had to add the extra thirty?
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday and President's day for us in the US.

Been lurking, not responding to all… but read all and am touched and inspired by you resilient wise women.

Cloudy and cold here, but no precip forecast so going to try snowshoeing for the first time in many years. Fortunately a couple of workpals are game to try too, with ol' slow poke me. Used to go by myself, but daren't any more since now when I fall, I break bones...

Did see a flock of robins here 2 weeks ago when the temps hit 50, but both the birds and the 50s were just passing through...

Like Mimi and others I'm a Friday weigh-in-er, trying to build on that boost to moderate weekends, a sure struggle, but chipping away... Last Friday I went to the Flicks with friends and even though beer was available, had sugar-free Italian soda (no cream) instead... a rare triumph for me!

Chiclet, Jackie, SuzyQ, Laura, miss you and sending you warm thoughts of comfort and peace.

Amanda, :brokenheart: :cry: When the pain has eased a little, please celebrate yourself. 20 waist inches gone in a year, What an inspiration!

Barbie, My DH Joe has been making every :heart: day Valentine's day for the last 4+ years how blessed we both are! 20,000 steps, you AMAZE! See note to Linda for today's gratitude. Your wise words (... do something estimable... what we want most.... nevernevernever give up) ring in my head every day!:drinker:

Jeannie praying for you, your son and your husband. It must be heartbreaking for you to have DS and DH go through this trial. :cry: When we fostered nephews, there came a point when we had to kick the eldest out. I hated it,:angry: but came to see that DH was:
    A-trying to protect me and the other nephews, and
    B-the eldest kept making bad and life-threatening choices, didin't want help, only hope was that if he hit bottom, he might seek help. Miracle of miracles he turned at least partially away from that path and lived, though can't quite say he's thriving yet...

Macmadame hip bones? What are those?:laugh:

Debra eagles and hawks in Brooklyn? Wonders!:noway:

Robin, is there anything you can't do? Flowers, Finances, chef, dietician, workout queen, 5K coach, gorgeous producer of gorgeous children ... and sex pot too? :smooched: Tell DH to hang in there and be thankful the test was encouraging. The pics were beautiful, the staircase romantic, where was the venue?

mj your dogs sing at the squirrel? Are they basenji's or malamutes, or???:bigsmile:

Mimi pls tell more about your orchard... If they're dwarves or semi dwarves, could you net them to protect from the birds and squirrels? Are they recently planted bare roots or been there awhile? Did you get any good/effective anti-deer suggestions? and WOW you can run too! :flowerforyou: Whoopeee! :flowerforyou: Roasted veggies keep popping up more often, saw the Food Network’s D'Arabian gal roast roma tomatoes for a soup, and bake "chips" out of kale! Looked yummy, and I don't even like either! ;) The roasted beets and grilled parsnips this year have been yummy, maybe the next "I- don't-think-I-like-it" I'll try will be roasted roma soup with kale chips...:wink:

Barb, Embarrassing :blushing: to admit as my job is tech support, but... the only cell phones I've ever had are the vanilla ones my company provides. Thinking about getting a smartphone for my b-day, hesitating as I struggle with touch screens, but think I need to broaden my horizons. Any pointers or websites to help inform my decision?:huh:

Linda Amen to sisterhood through the nations. :flowerforyou: We in the states and UK have NO IDEA:noway: what passes for womens' everyday lives elsewhere. That's my frequent daily gratitiude. If you have to evacuate Bahrain, where will you go? Where's home when you're not globetrotting?

VickieM good choices = 12.8 lbs in two weeks? Con VERY gratulations!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Mary Loved your encouraging and wise "a fresh start can come right this minute" words. :heart: You're right up there with Barbie for inspiration.

faye would you share your whole wheat flour rolls recipe? Sound yummy and wholesome too!:smile:

Peggy (and Mimi) congrats on achieving overweight! :drinker: :drinker: i cried :sad: when I left obese ... behind... :laugh:

zuback "no magic solution" amen! and nothing works all the time for every one... I too favor moderation as the only way I'll really commit to the lifestyle change... but it means settling for slow gradual and sometimes imperceptible change. :ohwell: Thank goodness for the motivation-to-persist and support from the warm and wise women on this forum. Quoting Barbie "Never never NEVER give up!"

marilyn You can squat butt to heels less than 2 weeks after blowing a disc? :noway: Must be some magic pilates warm up :laugh: would u share? This from she-who-can’t-seem’-to-get-down-on-the-mat-for-Jeannie’s-magic-gutt’n’butt-exercises… :tongue:

Welcome carorobe, never was a runner, but went to a PT for knees and the exercises he gave me really made it possible for me to start being more active... at 60! For plantar's fascitis, the Scottish Dance teacher rolls a tennis ball around with her sole before and especially after activity.

Welcome to all the newbies, you have found THE forum for support and motivation.

Will someone please tell me what carrot chips are?

Hugs to all,
  • msh0530
    Options
    How are you doing on your plan. That thirty minute thing will be either harsh or verrry motivational! How many times have you had to add the extra thirty?

So far in the past month, I haven't had to add. I let myself off the day I was over by 2 calories. Thanks for asking! (And I do find it motivational.)
  • msh0530
    Options
    Want a list of some of the worst things to order when you go out? Check out this list.
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/20-worst-restaurant-foods-america?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-2011_02_21-_-HTML-_-1
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My guy finally notice that something was really different about me. What a great encourager he is!! I''m thinking to get the most out of this site I need to make my food diary public - yikes that is scary! My activity level is terrific and I should be at goal by now if it were not for the terrible choices I've been making these last few weeks..... We are here for the accountability right? Gulp!
  • msh0530
    Options
    My guy finally notice that something was really different about me. What a great encourager he is!! I''m thinking to get the most out of this site I need to make my food diary public - yikes that is scary! My activity level is terrific and I should be at goal by now if it were not for the terrible choices I've been making these last few weeks..... We are here for the accountability right? Gulp!
    It scared me when I first made mine semipublic (viewable by friends only), but once I got over the initial fear, I think that it is helpful. Good luck!
  • zuback55
    Options
    My husband doesn't notice if I lose weight either....guess I need to lose enough so that he WILL Notice!! He said that when you see someone every day...you don't notice the change as much.....guess that makes sense. I have a terrible chest cold and the wind is blowing outside...don't think I am going for a walk...been up and down stairs quite a bit doing laundry (should count for some exercise). My weigh in day is Thursday and hope I can report a loss. Take care all and will try and get back in more often and keep in the loop! Cheers All and have a GREAT DAY :smile: :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,996 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I want to say something about my 10,000 steps.......I started wearing a pedometer about ten years ago......I had one that clipped onto my waistband so it wasn't effective when I wore a dress which is what I wore when I was working so I counted only steps at home in the evening or on weekends. When I started wearing pants instead of dresses i had the pedometer all the time but the clip on ones often got reset when I leaned against something and frequently fell off and sometimes got lost. A few years ago I got a cell phone with a pedometer that was meant to be carried around in a pocket (so it didn't get lost except for the time that I washed it with my jeans and had to buy a new phone :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ). The cell phone stepcounter reset automatically at midnight and kept track of steps and averaged them over 30 days. Now I have an Omron pedometer with computer software that allows me to keep track of all my steps since I bought the pedometer in early 2010. I count all my steps and make an effort to walk more just to accumulate the steps. I spend less time now at the computer or sitting doing anything. When waiting for something, I walk up and down. When I travel on the ferry I walk instead of sitting and reading a book. I walk at the dog park, go to dance classes, and walk for exercise but some days as much as half my steps are from walking in the house while I do my chores. When I go shopping I walk up and down all the aisles whether I need to or not. i park as far from the store as possible. If I have some free time, I put on the TV and walk or dance or jog while I watch. Someone said "if you're moving, you're losing" and a pedometer keeps track of how much I'm moving. I meet friends for a walk instead of a meal. It's surprising how the steps mount up with just some simple lifestyle changes.

:flowerforyou: when I started losing weight, nobody noticed but me for a long time.......the first thing I noticed was that when I put on my underwear in the morning, it fit better....I don't know if my husband noticed for a long time but he was sweet enough to say that he did.......my friends didn't say anything until I'd lost about 20 pounds, possibly because I had worn the same loose clothing for years on the premise that I looked thinner if my clothes weren't too tight :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: when I'd lost enough weight to wear smaller sizes and tuck in my shirts, a few people told me that I'd lost enough weight and I shouldn't lose any more :noway: :noway: :noway: the thing I learned was that this weight loss journey was for me, and waiting for the praise, notice, or approval of anyone else would hinder my progress.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I love all my friends on this thread because you have supported me and listened to me in ways that no face-to-face friend could possibly do and without you, I might not have succeeded.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: if you are new here, we all welcome you and hope you will use all the tools on MFP and renew your commitment every day.......we are here to listen and respond and we hope you will listen to us and respond to us.

:flowerforyou: I changed my ticker today up a pound......I think I was overhopeful when I claimed that last pound lost........my weight fluctuates as much as two pounds during the week and I decided to take the lead from several of you and choose a weigh in day and post whatever weight I see on the scale and not try to rationalize it......if it goes by next week, then I'll claim it....meanwhile I'll keep logging my food and exercise, and dancing in front of the TV and walking my dogs.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have been looking back at several journals kept over the past several years. You know what the common theme is? I need to lose weight. It is sad to look back at years of attempts and failures. It can be quite disheartening, but God hasn't given up on me and His mercies are new every morning, so why should I give up on myself? Today I stayed right on track and I spent 20 minutes on the treadmill (before I didn't think I could stand to be on it more than 10 minutes). I ate like I should and proved to myself that I really can do what I should. Now, if I did it today, there is no reason I can't do it again tomorrow. :bigsmile: So, here goes, a day at a time! Thanks for all of you who are in the same boat! We will make it!:flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    Options
    Found another site with some healthy ideas on Better Homes and Gardens.
    http://www.bhg.com/health-family/mind-body-spirit/2011-your-best-year-ever/?ordersrc=rdbhg100620

Scroll down to March to browse recipes and nutrition info.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Robin - thank goodness those biopsies were normal! I know what a load that is off your mind, BTDT

Welcome traininglady.

Well, I want to stop by this one store (like I did last year) and order a fruit basket for when I leave the Y. they've been very helpful.

McMadame - where are you tracking your food?

Welcome mytime and carorobe

Faye - that was one fantastic Daytona. So many lead changes, so many cautions, and the final lap! We were at the Nationwide Sat (well, I saw the first 15 or so laps and then I went shopping). They close the mall for the Daytona. I'm a bit surprised at how many stores are closed, too. they open early, but close early. I guess when they charge $40 to park, they are making up any lost revenue. The weather has gotte really warm here, I didn't bring any shorts with me (boo), but I bought one pair. Our seats for the Daytona are in the grandstands near the start/finish line, top row. Fortunately, we have a cover over us so we weren't sitting in the sun baking. We also don't get rained on.

Been going to the Y down here most days. Today I'm going to try a zumba class and then a spinning class.

At the end of our stay I'm thinking that I'll give the people at the Y a fruit basket. They've been really helpful. The phone book we have here is from 2001 or thereabouts, they gave me an updated phonebook.

Had dinner with a friend from Newcomers, she was in Port St. John. There's a Newcomers board meeting, and Vince is going to miss the first meeting since we're staying for the shuttle launch. We figure we'll probably leave Friday. Sometimes I wish I could stay longer, especially now that there's this unsecured connection!

Everyone, have a great day. Sorry for the short post, I'm thinking of everyone.

Michele
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Snow this morning. At least once we got off our little hill it was just rain. Love the Pacific Northwest!!! I did really well yesterday. I ate great and I got my dreadmill workout in and I put together a pull up bar. I have never been able to do a pull up and I think I want to make that a goal. Just to be able to do one. I hope you all have a wonderful day. Gotta get to work.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,
    We have a bunch of new snow this morning. How much is a bunch? over a foot. :noway: It was snowing and blowing yesterday morning when I tried to leave for work. I ended up to the doors when I slid off the driveway. :sad: I called DF and he came home after working a half day and dug me out. I could have gone to work but the weather was still so bad that I let my nephew step up to the plate on that one. I feel a little guilty but the roads were not plowed and it is rual roads all the way for me and it if freeway most of the way for him. The snow was also less where he was.:ohwell:
    I haven't lost weightthis week but I am hoping that is because I made ham for dinner. Calorie wise I was under but the sodum is higher.
    DF is bragging to everyone that I have lost 80 pounds. He is SO proud and supportive. I haven't told anyone, I don't know why I don't care what people think for the most part but I am very sensitive about my weight. and if I fail......anyway everyone has been commenting lately. DF says that he really notices when he hug me, his arms wrap around more. He also feel more bone when he rubs my back. He told me last night that the butt of my pants were to baggy and I needed to get new pants. I JUST BOUGHT THESE !!! he thought these were my old ones :bigsmile: so I may be in the next size smaller pretty soon. :drinker:
    Today is a run around day as I am taking Dad to the VA for the results of his last scan. Cross your fingers. He is edging up on 1 year cancer free.
    Thoughts and prayers all around but a special squeeze for Amanda. My heart breaks for your loss. It is understandable for you to hug your Grand Twins a little tighter.

Love to all
    Peggy
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good morning Everyone,
    I am traveling for work this week. I have my computer and can log in and track my calories and exercise. I don't want to lose the momentum I just got back! We were stuck on the runway in Cleveland last night but after two de-icing and lots of prayers we took off....and landed in Florida to 64 degrees. It should be a nice week...even if I have to work. I am waiting for one of my co-workers to get us coordinated. I had time this morning to get a look at the gym and pool and hopefully will get to it this afternoon. I am a little nervous about going to the gym but I am going to do it!! The hotel has a great breakfast buffet with great healthy options so I will be fine this week. I had an eggwhite veggie omelet with fresh pineapple, yogurt with a little Kashi crunch this morning and that feels great. We have lots of dinner meetings but I will make the best choices and lot everything!
    This board really helps me...come back and stay on track...Thank you all.....

Vicki---great weigh in this week.....Wow!
    Carorobe--- The thing I do struggle with in my 50's is the changes in my ability to move without pain..I have plantis fascia and knee problems (arthritis and torn meniscus). I teach yoga and I have had to readjust not just physically but also mentally about things I "used to do" and doing what's good for my body. I know that it is important to just keep moving!

Mary....thanks for the websites with ideas. I will make sure I visit them.

Have a good day all!