MFP's most common user pitfall to avoid

Options

Replies

• 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for making this understandable. It really makes sense, where prior to reading this I was unsure what those goals should be. I do know that I have a long way to go and the 2lbs is what I should be shooting for right now. But now I know this will need to change later, after the obesity comes down considerably. Thanks again!!!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Awesome post from one of the most respected posters.

I was one of those who had a number in mind (not based on anything really) of 120 and after a month on here realized how ridiculous it was when I started looking at body fat % and my 143 pounds is 23% body fat (not sure how accurate as it's on online sources, but it seems reasonable). If I have 110 pounds of not fat in me, to get down to 120, I'd have to be like 8% body fat -- that's insane for a non-bodybuilding woman. Sure it's possible, but I'd rather get my body fat down to maybe 16-20% no matter what the scale says. I wish that MFP let us change our goals to reflect that instead of just numbers on a scale.
  • unckat09
    Options
    This is SUCH a great post!

Last week I was really contemplating my 2lb a week "goal". It actually has been extremely counter productive for me, because it is somewhat impossible for me to obtain. I work anywhere between 50-60 hours a week, so I just don't have enough time to burn enough calories to fit in this little 1200 calories box. Once I'm over on calories I think, "ah well, no way I'm sticking to 1200 today." Before you know it, I'm over by approximately 600-800 calories. That's just not good. Having a more realistic goal to actually stick to is exactly what I need. So, thanks to your post, I will be decreasing my weekly goal to 1lb a week.

My total body fat is low compared to my weight (good 'ol triple jumping thighs), so I'm going to think carefully about my overall goal. I'm not going to lie, I was shooting for the high school weight. Ok, enough jabbering. Now, I must pay it forward today, because you TRULY helped me! Thanks so much!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    fyi, here's a simple height to weight ratio chart for most people (adults).

not for use with teens and children.

Please note, this is NOT age adjusted. This is super super super generic. But it's ok if you understand this going in. And know that this is just a suggestion, not a hard and fast law. Some people can be perfectly fine outside this chart!

height-weight-chart.gif
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Saving to read for later when I've got time.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :) Your awesome
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Awesome post from one of the most respected posters.

I was one of those who had a number in mind (not based on anything really) of 120 and after a month on here realized how ridiculous it was when I started looking at body fat % and my 143 pounds is 23% body fat (not sure how accurate as it's on online sources, but it seems reasonable). If I have 110 pounds of not fat in me, to get down to 120, I'd have to be like 8% body fat -- that's insane for a non-bodybuilding woman. Sure it's possible, but I'd rather get my body fat down to maybe 16-20% no matter what the scale says. I wish that MFP let us change our goals to reflect that instead of just numbers on a scale.

8% is actually quite unhealthy for a woman. 13% is the recommended minimum, and you'd look VERY lean at that. 8% is eating away at your essential fats. And if you're thinking of becoming pregnant, it's a giant no-no to be this low.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. Its very clear and very true.

I spent some time yesterday wondering if I was losing fast enough and if I should try to change how I'm eating to induce a quicker loss. I was mostly contemplating an Atkins, extreme low carb type approach. While the idea of eating a lot of bacon and eggs is very appealing to me, I decided that the extreme low carb approach would not fit into my long term dietary program. I want to eat good and eat right and eat for health. My weight will follow.

thanks again,
    JoJo
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good advice! We did not get fat in a day and we will not get thin in one either. This is something for the long haul, people. Let's be realistic!:smile:
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    WHY couldn't I have found this post the last time I used MFP?! I would have been much happier with my loss I think.
    Thank you!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    fyi, here's a simple height to weight ratio chart for most people (adults).

not for use with teens and children.

Please note, this is NOT age adjusted. This is super super super generic. But it's ok if you understand this going in. And know that this is just a suggestion, not a hard and fast law. Some people can be perfectly fine outside this chart!

height-weight-chart.gif

For me, this image goes against everything in your original post. I'm 5'7". In high school I weighed 160. I would LOVE to weigh 160 again (I'm 26, no kids). Acording to this chart, that is the "high" end for my height. Everything I see says someone my height should weigh 140, and that's skinnier than I've ever been.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

For me, this image goes against everything in your original post. I'm 5'7". In high school I weighed 160. I would LOVE to weigh 160 again (I'm 26, no kids). Acording to this chart, that is the "high" end for my height. Everything I see says someone my height should weigh 140, and that's skinnier than I've ever been.

like I said, this isn't a rule chart, it's a generic suggestion, some people may be perfectly fine outside those ranges. Then again, most will probably fit comfortably in them. I'm looking for a good age adjusted one. The one I used to use for people was taken down for some reason, give me 1/2 an hour and I'll find a good one.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is SUCH a great post!

Last week I was really contemplating my 2lb a week "goal". It actually has been extremely counter productive for me, because it is somewhat impossible for me to obtain. I work anywhere between 50-60 hours a week, so I just don't have enough time to burn enough calories to fit in this little 1200 calories box. Once I'm over on calories I think, "ah well, no way I'm sticking to 1200 today." Before you know it, I'm over by approximately 600-800 calories. That's just not good. Having a more realistic goal to actually stick to is exactly what I need. So, thanks to your post, I will be decreasing my weekly goal to 1lb a week.

My total body fat is low compared to my weight (good 'ol triple jumping thighs), so I'm going to think carefully about my overall goal. I'm not going to lie, I was shooting for the high school weight. Ok, enough jabbering. Now, I must pay it forward today, because you TRULY helped me! Thanks so much!

I was feeling like this 2 weeks ago, the scale wasn't budging in..and yes I know we shouldn't go by the scale but I mean something has to give in eventually right?. Anyway in Jan I started at 1200 cal goal, and nothing, then with suggestion of others increased to 1350, manage to loose 1lb. Then following week gained 1. So I increased to 1436 and I lost 2 lbs at first and then gained 3 go figured. So I thought the heck with it I'm going to increase to 1750(after lots of reading and educating myself) which is only .5lb a week loss according to MFP. So this week is the first week eating at that and I not only have more energy but I stepped on the scale and guess what 1lb down so far. :D.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My goals are within my weight range for my age, height, and body type.

I have a scale that is supposed to measure body fat. Although I have lost 40 lbs two years ago, and have lost 12 so far this time, my body fat percentage has NEVER changed. I was riding my bike 30K every other day, swimming a mile a day in the summer, and doing 5-10K on the treadmill every other day as well. (Most of my body fat resides in my lower half, so that is what I work on most)

Is my scale just out of whack? How can you accurately measure body fat percentages?
  • beechick
    Options
    Great post...I hope you find the chart adjusted for age. I have set my goal based on what weight I was comfortable at 10 years ago. Happens to be mid range on the chart.

Pre MFP 188
    Start MFP 186 /01-28-11
    First Goal 175 /02/28/11
    Second Goal 165 03/31/11
    goal weight range is 140-145 05/31/11

Current weight 175 loss of 13 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    My goals are within my weight range for my age, height, and body type.

I have a scale that is supposed to measure body fat. Although I have lost 40 lbs two years ago, and have lost 12 so far this time, my body fat percentage has NEVER changed. I was riding my bike 30K every other day, swimming a mile a day in the summer, and doing 5-10K on the treadmill every other day as well. (Most of my body fat resides in my lower half, so that is what I work on most)

Is my scale just out of whack? How can you accurately measure body fat percentages?

BF% scales are essentially useless. There's a huge margin for error with them. if you really want to know your BF% have a hydrostatic, Bod Pod, or a caliper test done by a professional (calipers are less accurate than the first two, but also less expensive). There's no way you lost 52 lbs and didn't lose any body fat. NOBODY gains 52 lbs of lean mass in 2 years unless they're on some serious steroids or are in their teen years.
  • WindmillSong
    WindmillSong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What a great post, thank you.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Great post...I hope you find the chart adjusted for age. I have set my goal based on what weight I was comfortable at 10 years ago. Happens to be mid range on the chart.

Pre MFP 188
    Start MFP 186 /01-28-11
    First Goal 175 /02/28/11
    Second Goal 165 03/31/11
    goal weight range is 140-145 05/31/11

Current weight 175 loss of 13 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks

I'm looking, I'm bummed it's not up any more. I should have copied the image. Anyway, rough estimate. After 25 years old, about every 10 years, you can add about 3 to 5 lbs for women and 5 to 8 lbs for men per decade on to the range (both high and low) until you reach 55, where it actually begins to go down a little again (bone mass losses and lean tissue losses) . Again this is a generic add on, I've seen the numbers all over the place, but if you wanted to be a little closer to true, that's what you do.