WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• tryingagain
    tryingagain Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will definitely be checking in. Today was cold and dreary after a week of beautiful weather. Stayed in an did some cooking for the upcoming week. I find that helps so much. After work it is so much easier to stay on track if I don't have to start from scratch. Made a Jerk Seasoned Catfish recipe yesterday. I am not much of a fish eater, but am trying to expand my horizions. It was really pretty good. For April, I will set a goal to try fish at home times. For exercise this weekend, I worked in the yard. I found muscles I had not seen in a few years. That is a good thing.

Good luck to everyone on the start of a new week. Remember everyday is a new day. It is yours to use.
  • tryingagain
    Options
    Exermom: Thanks for the advice on the personal trainer. I will keep that in mind. If I am going to use the gym, I really want to do it right so it counts!
  • tryingagain
    Options
    Mac Madame: I track in a spreadsheet. I thinking tracking is so important. Having it in a spreadsheet is so easy do and everything is right there to review.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Between our recent trip to help hubby's Aunt do some Spring fixing up around the house and getting my flowerbeds plant-able (is that a word?) and then planted this past week, I just haven't had much time to be online. Skimming the thread you are certainly a motivated, encouraging group of ladies! :flowerforyou:

I got my test results back from my dr Friday and he said my blood sugar was "perfect" and all my other markers were normal, so whatever I was doing to keep it up. Sad that it took me 5 decades to learn good health habits... :blushing:

Yesterday I had a bit of a scare. I spent the better part of the afternoon reworking the bed on the side of our house and was watering the new plantings in when a bee flew up my nose. :noway: Yes, you read right.. a bee up my nose! I'm sure the ensuing dance would have won me big money on AFV. I don't think anything has scared me so badly in quite some time. Long story short, it did NOT sting me and I got a great night's sleep thanks to a mega dose of Benadryl.

This afternoon a fellow gardener messaged me and said she had thinned her surprise lilies and did I want some. So now I have 4 grocery sacks of bulbs to get a bed ready for. :happy:

Hubby is on nights now, so I'm about to do zumba. Catch up with you all tomorrow.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Well, it is the end of spring break. In celebration, we spent the day watching it snow. Our camping trip went great. The weather was even nice.
    My mother continues with her health problems. She has been in the hospital since March 3rd with extreme pain. She can't even walk without falling over due to severe stenosis in her spine. They have scheduled her twice for surgery for the stenosis. The first time she ended up in ICU with aspiration pneumonia and sepsis before surgery day came around. The next time (this past Thursday) she had a heart attack while they were prepping her for surgery. She is back in cardiac ICU, and also has pneumonia again and a UTI. Tomorrow they plan to do a stress test and decide whether or not to do a heart cath. I did get to see her three times in the past week, but since she is several hours away, I can't get back for a while. Not to mention I can't afford the gas.

I did manage to read through all of the posts that I had missed, but don't have time for many replies.
    Jeannie, I guess that I will have to start posting where I am going to camp.
    Dee, let me know what questions you have about camping.
    Rebel, I am so glad you get to go see your mother!
    To all: I miss you all and will try to get more back to normal tomorrow.
    Almost forgot to tell you, while I was gone I got to spend some time with my grandson who will be three months old in a couple of days!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Wow - lots of posts to catch up on, since we put our clocks back an hour to British Summer Time over here in the UK I can't get myself organised. Must be an age thing cos I don't remember being so "out of sync" last summer, but then again it may be that at my age I can't remember last year :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Anyway I've read a few posts and want to say HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY BARBIE sorry I missed it, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome to our newcomers, I've only been away from posting for a few days and our family has grown even larger. I must try and log in every day even if its just to keep up with you all.

I'm almost to my first year anniversary on MFP. I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I haven't lost more weight. Only myself to blame I know, I've noticed bad habbits sneaking back in to my diet. It takes so long for me to log my calories in the food section though that I don't always bother, I'd rather be reading the posts, but it seems I'll have to get back to logging to keep me honest. It is too easy to eat junk food when I'm not keeping my eye on the calorie count.

Yesterday I went my the DS and his partner to see my grandson get his green belt in kick boxing. He's nearly 6 yrs now and I wish I had half his energy - he never stops. Watching all the little dragons get their belts was so cute, there was a little 3 year old girl showing her punches and kicks so confident going up to get her new belt. Some of the kids were shy and not so confident but the good thing about the club is that it teaches them to be polite, kind and generally good people. A good thing these days when so many young people seem to have so much anger in them and are only happy when they are destroying things.

Sorry this is only a quick post, I haven't read many since Friday, so sorry not to reply to individuals I have to dash now, have to get ready to go shopping.

Take Care everyone

Viv xx
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    well I weighed today. I lost 3 more pounds. I am excited and dissapointed at same time. so glad for loss just with this program I thought would be more. But I am good with it. I will just have to keep going and doing what I am doing. So good to hear from so many of you. I have kids today and will try to do more in bathroom. It is actually looking pretty good. should be able to start grouting tile today. It just takes me so much longer to do things than it used to. I feel I am working hard and fast but going is slow. Guess that is when I realize my age. Just glad I am in good shape or it would be so much worse. Have a good day. Need to go eat breakfast and get started with my day.
    vicki M
  • icubsn98
    icubsn98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday morning everyone, What a busy weekend!/ Trying to get spring cleaning done and house decorated for Easter since I will be leaving to go spend some time with hubby on his business trip and won't be back until just a few days before Easter. My home is always host to the huge family gathering to celebrate Easter.

Yesterday, my extended family came together to celebrate my grandmother's 88th birthday. It was great to spend time with cousins, uncle and aunts that I don't see so often anymore. Certainly made me realize the importance and value of seeking a simpler life that is rich in memories instead of stuff!! We went to Olive Garden and it was a task to find a low carb meal there--but I succeeded in getting the herb grilled salmon and steamed broccoli. It was good and best of all, I stayed on Phase 1 of the South Beach diet I've been following for the last week.

Today, begins the second week of Phase 1 and I was thrilled to step on the scale this morning and see ---drumroll, please--5lbs gone. I have also lost an inch in my waist.. That's a total of 3 inches since the first of the year. I feel fantastic about the changes. I know that this week will probably not show that amount of weight loss, but it's cool....it gave me the boost I needed to keep working towards my goal.

Hope everyone has a great Monday
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

No time to read, no time to post this weekend. Just popping in to say that I am thinking of all of you and hope everyone is doing OK.

Happy Monday,

Jeannie
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning Nice Ladies, sound like y'all were busy over the weekend. Welcome to all the new ladies.

Well, I wasn't so good over the weekend. :huh: Had a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce and went over my calorie goal. Duh. But afterward, I felt uncomfy, like I ate a brick, so maybe my body is liking eating healthy, and not wanting to eat garbage anymore. I could have splurged without making it such a big bowl. Also, I didn't walk yesterday.

:happy: But today, I'm taking advantage of the nice Spring weather to clean the screened porch in back, and it is really dirty and full of junk, so I should burn so calories. Also will take my walk.

Even though I grew up in the north, it's hard for me to imagine it snowing right now. Too many years in semi-tropical.

SusyQ, glad the bee did not sting you inside the nose! That could have been really dangerous and not at all funny. A few weeks ago, my son was sitting on the grass cleaning old bumper stickers off his new (to him) car, when a bee crawled up under his shirt and bit him in the side. As much as that hurt and swelled, I can't imagine how bad a face sting would have been.

:flowerforyou: So interesting to hear from ladies in England! Never been there, but maybe someday.

:bigsmile: I love this program - every day starts with a clean slate! :bigsmile: Have a great new week!:flowerforyou:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Haven't read, just wanted to say hello and back AGAIN. Glad, to see this post is off and running. xoxoxxo

Kathy (plantlady)
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Our power was out for two days so I came down to the Bay Area to stay with my folks. That’s never good for my diet. Not that they lead me astray but I often take the brakes off. Urghh. My weight was down this past Friday but I’m not posting until next Friday due to this bump in the road.

I’m skimming the posts…won’t try to respond to them all, but I’m thinking about you. I’ll be back in business Wednesday. (I’m going to log food today but won’t be all the way back until I get home Wednesday.) BTW, I got a new Android phone, a Samsung Captivate. Getting to MFP and logging my food is so fast. Wow. I haven’t tried reading posts yet.

Barbie and Robin, I’d love to have a doggie day with you and Barb. Wouldn’t that be fun?! I don’t know if I’ll ever get up there with Izzy, but I like the idea! I’ll check out the closest dog park (closer than 800 miles) to see if they separate the little and big dogs. I never thought of that.

Ack. Barbie, I see birthday wishes to you from Vicki. I must have missed your birthday. Happy, happy birthday and many happy returns. You are a staunch supporter and nice to boot. I appreciate you!

Natalie, hope you’re feeling better.

Welcome, Barmboard, Tryingagain, Tornberg, and R222. This is a great group of women. Keep participating and you will find lots of support. Tornberg, I started MFP with a little more than 100 pounds to lose and I’m down 70. I’ve been in a lull for the last few months, but a lull at 190+ is a much better place to be than a lull at 260+. Eating nutritiously, logging what you eat, and participating in this (and other I’m sure) forum works.

It’s great seeing the new folks on here and amazingly comforting seeing the old-timers hanging in. We (new and old) really are doing this! Rebel, you crack me up. So good to see you. Good to see you, too, Kackie, Jeannie, Mary, and Viv (and everyone else I missed - there are so many of us!) MacMadame, you are of the poster children for exercise. Susan, yikes, a bee up your nose?! I’m glad you’re okay. That’s nightmare material. Congrats on your test results.

Smwert, you did fantastic, losing while you were on vacation. That is a huge accomplishment.

Mary, I’m sending prayers and hugs to you with all that’s going on with your mom. That’s a tough situation.

Amanda, I hope you're doing well. I miss you. Sending prayers, careful hugs, and warm thoughts your way.
    :heart:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Barmbord- Congratulations on selling your house. You certainly do have your work cut out for you but just take one step at a time. You can do it! Yes, I am also afraid in this quest-- Afraid of failure. I have finally gotten to a point where my goal is close and I am determined to make it!

Tryingagain= I agree that it is important to do exercises correctly, but a good instructor should give you advice on how to do that. I personally find classes at the gym to be motivating. Maybe a few sessions with a trainer would be worthwhile . I also had lost weight at WW, but then gained it all back and couldn't get back on program. MFP seems to be working for me.

Grabbit- I also am old and on thyroid medication, and have had weeks were I was stuck on plateaus. I have found that what seems to work best for me is to increase the exercise. I try to take classes at the gym as many times a week as possible.If I can't get to the gym, I will ride by stationary bike, but after wearing my heart rate monitor, I know that I don't seem to burn many calories this way. I have also been trying to walk the dog more.

Mary- prayers to you and your mother

Vicki M. and icubsn-- a 3 and 5 lb loss! Congratulations to both of you. That is fantastic. The closer I get to my goal, I notice that at 1200 calories a day, my weekly expected weight loss keeps getting less and less. It is now down to .6 pounds a week!

It is still very cold here, BUT, the sun is shinning. I can deal with that! Today was my weigh in day and I lost 2 lbs- the most I have lost in a week in a long time. I think I have gotten obsessive with the exercise, but it has seemed to help. Zumba tonight! Yay!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Afternoon:

Hubby finished painting the laundryroom and we are going to wait before we put
    the flooring down until we get back from our Florida vacation.
    We can't wait to lie on the beach and feel the warm sun and sand. Although where
    we go the beach sand is always cool.
    The weather here is in the 30's still, it is supposed to warm up later this week. This
    is unseasonably cold for this time of year. Another reason to go South :tongue:

My daughter moves this Wednesday so we will be up early to drive up to her place and
    get started. She is having movers this time to help. Her aunt, uncle and grandma are
    going too. Then its a trip to IKEA for more stuff for this apartment.

SuzyQ>>>Thank G you didn't get stung by that bee. I know someone who was stung in
    the face and it wasn't good. Glad to hear you are okay.

Yesterday I did 55 mins. of Strength Training and feel very strong today. :tongue:
    I am trying to increase my water intake and the always trying to get below calories.
    So far so good. I am in a few MFP challenges for exercise and weighins so it keeps me
    busy trying to stay on top of things.

We have a new cooworker starting this week, so it will be nice to see a new face on board.

Have a great day everyone!!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Just popping in to catch up on posts then heading out to the flowerbeds. I'm converting about a 40' x 40' piece of former lawn into a flower garden so there's lots to do before planting can even begin.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Only time to pop in say Hi ...will have to read later...

Got Mom's taxes done last Friday....:sad: when you are single and get a pension, and half of your husbands you make too much money and you get to pay the IRS:grumble: I am NOT happy about that...but it's done:tongue:

Everyone have a good day/evening.

Laura:smile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to catch up on posts then heading out to the flowerbeds. I'm converting about a 40' x 40' piece of former lawn into a flower garden so there's lots to do before planting can even begin.

So glad to see you are doing great. xoxox

Kathy Plantlady
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    I am still here, and still on plan, rode bike outside, we shall see, I am keeping at it!!
    Just thought I would pop in and say hi.
    I can't walk very well, bad knees, so the bike riding is my ticket to exercise.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    This will be post number 500 for the month so the thread will lock and a new part two will be added.

Look at the bottom of this for the link to the new part two and join us there
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: