For the people who work out like crazy and are not losing

Options

Replies

• jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    Hello, I just joined to day but started getting serious about 4 months ago. Worked out for a year on my own at the gym. Had a physical and blood work came back lousy plus i still looked the same. I signed up with a personal trainer at the gym, 2 time national bodybuilding champion. First thing he did was have me eat 6 times a day. Boost the metabolism. next he had me lifting weights 4 times a week. Seems like a lot, but exercises he gave me were easier than what I had been doing. Biceps and triceps one day, back and shoulders one day, legs one day, and chest one day. 3 sets of 15 reps. You only work one or 2 groups of muscles each workout, but you really are concentrating on that group. Cardio 5 days a week. 35 minutes on treadmill. Just get the correct heart rate going, no need to kill yourself or go all out all the time. Goal is to gain lean muscle, which burns fat during aerobic workout. 4 months, lost 15 pounds. Went from BMI 21% fat to 14%. I can even start to see a rib or 2. Best of all, I enjoy going to the gym, which I never thought I would say. 30 minutes in and out if you do it right. Had blood work redone after 3 months and it came back all normal. Blood pressure and everything else is right on. Insanity workout might be great, but not sustainable for the rest of your life. Its a marathon, not a sprint. I still go out with my wife and have a beer every now and then. This work out lets me do that. With nutrisystem your always hungry. Eat 6 times a day, lean protein and you won't be hungry. My wife is on weight watchers and can't believe the amount I eat.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    @jesster64, I am glad that you have a formula that works for you, and I totally agree a lot of us do not eat enough, I was once like that as well not I eat like a teenage kid, and have tons of energy. I workout smarter not necessarily harder and it works well for me as well I am glad you got a good program set up. Fad diets fail end of story.
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Upon my research of anabolic and catabolic i found this:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/diet-nutrition/558-am-i-anabolic-catabolic.html

so now im confused you say stay away from catabolic but in this explanation catabolic means you will lose...confusion!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    its simple, keep or gain muscle and shed fat. Catabolic state usually means muscle loss which you do not want.Do not get caught up and focus in on anabolic vs catabolic, what we want to focus in on is proper feeding of the body to make the machine work to shed fat. We want to make sure we are either preserving muscle or building it to help us shed the fat. Muscle burns more fat, simple as that and that is the reason most men will shed fat easier than women because we have more muscle (not all men I know).
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'd like to add one thing that was my issue; working out too hard with heart rate too high (above my target, which might have been set too high for me to begin with) means that you burn glucose (sugar) instead of fat. So you feel very tired and crave carbs after workouts. I dropped step aerobics and other make-you-sweat, high impact stuff and switched to yoga, walking, weight lifting and the pounds finally came off!

So check your heart rate and see if this might be your issue, also.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Great post! I'd like to add one thing that was my issue; working out too hard with heart rate too high (above my target, which might have been set too high for me to begin with) means that you burn glucose (sugar) instead of fat. So you feel very tired and crave carbs after workouts. I dropped step aerobics and other make-you-sweat, high impact stuff and switched to yoga, walking, weight lifting and the pounds finally came off!

this is why i always recommend drinking 1 to 2 cups of chocolate milk post workout, it stops that craving dead in its tracks and replenishes the muscles.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks !
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BUMP*
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

this is why i always recommend drinking 1 to 2 cups of chocolate milk post workout, it stops that craving dead in its tracks and replenishes the muscles.

This is why post workout nutrition (Newfiedan's chocolate milk or something like it) is so important. There is nothing wrong with burning glucose. In fact, in workout of so intensely, you will also burn more fat with the glucose that you would in the "fat" burning zone. If you then eat a post workout meal with a good amount of protein and carbs, those carbs will go right into your muscles and liver to replenish would glycogen stores rather than into fat. Burning carbs and eating carbs is not bad. Work out at a high intensity.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options

But if I'm training for a marathon, and I run at a reasonable pace I do burn glucose, as you're saying. Which is why I get terribly hungry afterwards, mainly for carbs to try and satisfy it. Conflicting goals then you would say. Can I not do both! I do drink chocolate milk after a decent run, which goes down very nicely, but I wouldn't exactly say it stops it in it's tracks. I don't have a heart rate monitor, but I presume it's fairly high.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    For those who train for long runs such as yourself more is needed, but for 80% of those who workout do so for no more than an hour at a time, I eat a small carb/protein meal an hour or so before workout, choc milk post workout and then a protein shake with some fruit 15-20 mins after that. For the bulk of those working out the choc milk is a great post workout drink. There are always exceptions to the rules, I tend to workout at a fast pace, making the most out of my workout so I am considered somewhat extreme in my workouts compared to many I know.
  • TrimmingTracie
    Options
    That was explained very well. I personally am having a problem with understanding why eat more to lose wieght. I am checking up on catabolic and anabolic states which you mentioned. Thanks for the firm spoken insight.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Its not that hard to understand really, most women require 1200 a day to function/1500 for men, that means to produce waste, breathe and live, (yes I know some of you are small and do not need that) many do not eat that much making their metabolic rates slow down to preserve the body. it will cannibalize its own muscle to feed the brain and organs. This is why we need to eat properly, to burn fat we need to feed the body more than the basics, and in the case of someone whom works out a lot even more so. You can not train like an olympic athlete and expect to eat like a mouse and shed fat.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love the advice you have given here! I wish I would have read it months ago! I have been on a plateau for 5 months now! So frustrating!!!! I read this 2 days ago and followed your advice and increased my calories, and I have lost 3 pounds in 2 days! I know you say not to follow the scale, but it is a force of habit!

Thanks again!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    it can be even for the best of us so long as you are not focusing just on the number given by the scale you will be fine.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    1 last bumpage for those whom need the info.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!