Paleo/Primal way of eating = finally the truth revealed?

Options

Replies

• labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Primal / Paleo for the last 6 months, and it's hard to argue with my results. I think the science behind it is a little suspect, but for whatever reason, it's the one "diet" (lifestyle change) that I've been able to stick with for any length of time. I don't do well eating 100 calorie packs of junk food, or making low-cal versions of crap that no one should be eating in the first place (a la Hungry Girl). That just triggers me to binge on whatever carbs I can get my hands on. Since I've switched to Primal, I simply don't eat them.

Someone posted a link on here a while back on whether you are a moderator or an abstainer - meaning, are you able to moderate what you eat? Or do you binge after a bite of a cupcake? I'm a binger. For me, it's far easier to simply not eat the trigger food than to have it in small portions (which is like torture). The more of it I eat, the more I want. Since I'm eating fairly low carb (maybe 80 grams or less a day - higher than many paleo / primal folks, since I eat fruit every day), my cravings for junky carbs are gone. I have Cheez Its and Baked Lays going stale in my pantry, since I haven't touched them. I can now eat my daily Dove dark chocolate without being tempted by the entire bag.

That being said, I'm not interested in "Paleo" pancakes or muffins, since I'm worried about bringing those back into my diet. I love to bake, but that's partly what landed me in the obese category - I'd eat an entire batch of homemade cookies, or loaf of warm freshly baked bread.

I'm not 100% clean - I still have my daily protein shake (EAS AdvantEdge, so low carb) to up my protein grams, and I take Spark, which is replacing my nasty diet Coke habit. But for the most part I stick to meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, and nuts. I also have greek yogurt at least once a day - it's an easy source of protein for me, and doesn't seem to affect me negatively. I'll add the occasional sweet potato after a workout. I stay away from bread since it's a trigger food for me - I don't even "cheat" with it. I might occasionally have a bite of dessert and a glass of red wine - I just work those in to my day and don't sweat them.

Is this way of eating for everyone? Nah. But it certainly has worked for me!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Of course it's a far from "objective" look, but that's a minor detail.

How so? Also, this is only the summary. The full article is about 2 pages longer.

it's hard to quote from an article that's an image. do you have a link to an online, quotable version?

No. It's hosted as a pdf file.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

How so? Also, this is only the summary. The full article is about 2 pages longer.

it's hard to quote from an article that's an image. do you have a link to an online, quotable version?

Hosted? What does that mean, did you find this on line, or not, if it's on line I would think you could provied a link, web site, or something where we could go read the whole thing.

So far what you provided is nothing more than a bias opinion from some guy I have never heard of. Heck I could say the same things he said about any diet and without any facts to back it up what would it matter what I say.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Primal / Paleo for the last 6 months, and it's hard to argue with my results. I think the science behind it is a little suspect, but for whatever reason, it's the one "diet" (lifestyle change) that I've been able to stick with for any length of time. I don't do well eating 100 calorie packs of junk food, or making low-cal versions of crap that no one should be eating in the first place (a la Hungry Girl). That just triggers me to binge on whatever carbs I can get my hands on. Since I've switched to Primal, I simply don't eat them.

Someone posted a link on here a while back on whether you are a moderator or an abstainer - meaning, are you able to moderate what you eat? Or do you binge after a bite of a cupcake? I'm a binger. For me, it's far easier to simply not eat the trigger food than to have it in small portions (which is like torture). The more of it I eat, the more I want. Since I'm eating fairly low carb (maybe 80 grams or less a day - higher than many paleo / primal folks, since I eat fruit every day), my cravings for junky carbs are gone. I have Cheez Its and Baked Lays going stale in my pantry, since I haven't touched them. I can now eat my daily Dove dark chocolate without being tempted by the entire bag.

That being said, I'm not interested in "Paleo" pancakes or muffins, since I'm worried about bringing those back into my diet. I love to bake, but that's partly what landed me in the obese category - I'd eat an entire batch of homemade cookies, or loaf of warm freshly baked bread.

I'm not 100% clean - I still have my daily protein shake (EAS AdvantEdge, so low carb) to up my protein grams, and I take Spark, which is replacing my nasty diet Coke habit. But for the most part I stick to meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, and nuts. I also have greek yogurt at least once a day - it's an easy source of protein for me, and doesn't seem to affect me negatively. I'll add the occasional sweet potato after a workout. I stay away from bread since it's a trigger food for me - I don't even "cheat" with it. I might occasionally have a bite of dessert and a glass of red wine - I just work those in to my day and don't sweat them.

You have found the way that works for you..................Most people that go Paleo / Primal / Cave Man Style eat 80 - 90% clean. That allows for life happenings and having a bit of a splurge every once in a while..............

I am the same way as you. It pays to be strict. When I eat the sugar and grains I get excruciating joint and muscle pains that then takes days and sometimes up to a week to go away. It is just best for me to stay away from them.

I made some black beans and whole grain brown rice last night made with the juice drippings and onion pieces that came from my crock pot roast..............Tasted very good, but today I am aching in my hips and knees really bad. That tells me beans and rice has caused some inflammation and now I am fasting today to help alleviate it. I also had to take extra calcium and magnesium to ease some of the aches and pains.
  • zcosborne86
    Options
    Bump for later reading
  • cgan
    cgan Posts: 15
    Options
    I think one of the big things that people struggle with when coming to terms with the "paleo" diet (which is a term I hate since diet implies it's temporary) is that since they've spent their entire life eating "healthy" grains and, aside from a few extra pounds, have felt no negative effects from grain consumption they struggle to see the unhealthy effects they have.

Lack of energy, sleep difficulties, bad skin, poor digestion and slow nutrient absorption are thought to be 'normal,' while eating processed low fat & low cal foods is applauded as looking after yourself. Also, without fully researching and a slow transition, people can become overwhelmed and not know what to eat to stay full & nourished.

I would challenge anyone questioning the "paleo" way to transition (properly, not like how Dr. Oz did a few weeks ago) for two weeks (screw this 30 day thing) and see how you feel. If you're like me, within days of doing it right you'll start to notice improvements in quality of life where you might not even had thought there were problems.

If you're interested in some of the reasons why I decided to cut back on grains they're here.

1. Any nutrient you can find in grain can be found in higher & more easily digestible quantities in other foods.
    2. You (and me) are probably gluten intolerant... yes, on 2% of people suffer from coeliac, but the rest of us have mild inflammatory responses to grains that we have lived with our entire lives and thus don't notice. This inflammation inhibits our guts' ability to fully absorb nutrients
    3. Leaky gut grosses me out
    4. Grain's (whole or not) spike insulin levels, when they drop back down the body craves more carbs/sugar... so they're addictive (I think we can all think of someone we know who is 'addicted' to carbs).
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Hosted? What does that mean, did you find this on line, or not, if it's on line I would think you could provied a link, web site, or something where we could go read the whole thing.

So far what you provided is nothing more than a bias opinion from some guy I have never heard of. Heck I could say the same things he said about any diet and without any facts to back it up what would it matter what I say.
    Full Article Available at www.alanaragon.com/researchreview (December 2009)

http://i.imgur.com/zO4fM.jpg

?

Here are the references for the entire article.

qmEBM.jpg

Again, Full Article Available at www.alanaragon.com/researchreview (December 2009)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I think one of the big things that people struggle with when coming to terms with the "paleo" diet (which is a term I hate since diet implies it's temporary) is that since they've spent their entire life eating "healthy" grains and, aside from a few extra pounds, have felt no negative effects from grain consumption they struggle to see the unhealthy effects they have.

Lack of energy, sleep difficulties, bad skin, poor digestion and slow nutrient absorption are thought to be 'normal,' while eating processed low fat & low cal foods is applauded as looking after yourself. Also, without fully researching and a slow transition, people can become overwhelmed and not know what to eat to stay full & nourished.

I would challenge anyone questioning the "paleo" way to transition (properly, now like how Dr. Oz did a few weeks ago) for two weeks (screw this 30 day thing) and see how you feel. If you're like me, within days of doing it right you'll start to notice improvements in quality of life where you might not even had thought there were problems.

If you're interested in some of the reasons why I decided to cut back on grains they're here.

1. Any nutrient you can find in grain can be found in higher & more easily digestible quantities in other foods.
    2. You (and me) are probably gluten intolerant... yes, on 2% of people suffer from coeliac, but the rest of us have mild inflammatory responses to grains that we have lived with our entire lives and thus don't notice. This inflammation inhibits our guts' ability to fully absorb nutrients
    3. Leaky gut grosses me out
    4. Grain's (whole or not) spike insulin levels, when they drop back down the body craves more carbs/sugar... so they're addictive (I think we can all think of someone we know who is 'addicted' to carbs).

Regardless of my carbo-loading ways that I mentioned above, I REALLY am careful to avoid gluten as it causes me some severe digestive stress. Most people are cool with this, but I always get some Debbie Downer that crosses their arms and proclaims to me that I'm following this new "fad" of avoiding gluten and that it's not a real allergy and blah blah blah.

There's a somewhat horrible, TMI way to note if you have digestive issues eating wheat. It's elimination. It's good to try this if you suspect you're having some huge issues consuming a food.

1. Try not eating gluten or its byproducts for one week and take close note of your bowel movements and general digestive health (i.e. do you have heartburn post meal, or no?)

2. Eat the crap out of gluten products for a week.

First two days it's really common to have soft/runny and "leaky" peristalsis, increased gas, possibly heartburn. I've had this experience, I've read others having the same experience. Might be TMI, but oh well, it's something that's not often noted as a problem with consuming gluten.

Y'know, unless you enjoy having the mad sh*ts after you eat something. Maybe I should invite the Debbie Downers into my bathroom post wheat consumption. Would that shut them up? Same goes to my lactose intolerant peeps. Do you get the same thing? People that tell you you're "making it up?" So not cool. I can eat me some cheese, but I know some people CANNOT or they will be running to the bathroom!

Another not so easily noticed sign of inflammation is the presence and persistence of joint pain and arthritic-like joints, even at a young age. People with RA and arthritis tend to benefit greatly from the reduction or complete elimination of gluten in their diet.

Gluten-containing grains suck.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Full Article Available at www.alanaragon.com/researchreview (December 2009)

http://i.imgur.com/zO4fM.jpg

?

Here are the references for the entire article.

qmEBM.jpg

Again, Full Article Available at www.alanaragon.com/researchreview (December 2009)

http://www.alanaragon.com/research-review-entrance.html

not to a non subscriber, thanks
  • lodro
    Options
    http://www.jrank.org/history/pages/6545/Subsistence.html

Paleolithic, Neolithic Adaptations, Post-Neolithic Subsistence Systems, Homo, Man the Hunter
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

Another not so easily noticed sign of inflammation is the presence and persistence of joint pain and arthritic-like joints, even at a young age. People with RA and arthritis tend to benefit greatly from the reduction or complete elimination of gluten in their diet.

My almost 15yo daughter has been complaining less and less of joint pain, mood swings, sugar swings, and most of all I think this may be the last refill of acne meds she will need if she continues to clean up her diet in easy places and her mother quits bringing nothing but fast food home for dinner(divorced) Mom is going to start mooing like cattle pretty soon.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So, (many) people don't understand the difference between someone having a level of gluten sensitivity, and buying into a goofy, totally arbitrary diet?
  • lodro
    Options
    Any diet is arbitrary
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    So, (many) people don't understand the difference between someone having a level of gluten sensitivity, and buying into a goofy, totally arbitrary diet?

I see the local jester has showed back up.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options

I see the local jester has showed back up.

"You're welcome, when people attack the person and do not answer the question, it shows their lack of either information or intelligence, I will let you decide which works for you."

Sound familiar?
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    Any diet is arbitrary

"Based on individual discretion or judgment; not based on any objective distinction, perhaps even made at random; Determined by impulse rather than reason; heavy-handed; "

Wrong.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This works in a very similar way to any diet that restricts the types of food you can intake, and regiments your eating habits. Of course it is going to be healthy to cut our refined sugars, factory meats, and fatty dairy. However, it is a little disconcerting for people to carry on about how this is the best diet since homo sapiens' physiology evolved with this. Somehow it is completely lost on people that the explosion of agriculture resulted in not only increased lifespans but also a surplus of energy that could be used for increased brain function. Clearly loads of refined sugar is not going to infinitely correlate with thinking power, there is definitely a balance.

I beg to differ with you, but our longer lifespan has more to do with better medical care then food intake. We no longer die from massive infections and infectious diseases (vaccination-yeah!). Most of our health markers- high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes have all increased substantially since we introduced sugars and refined flours.
  • LaJauna
    Options

You have found the way that works for you..................Most people that go Paleo / Primal / Cave Man Style eat 80 - 90% clean. That allows for life happenings and having a bit of a splurge every once in a while..............

I am the same way as you. It pays to be strict. When I eat the sugar and grains I get excruciating joint and muscle pains that then takes days and sometimes up to a week to go away. It is just best for me to stay away from them.

I made some black beans and whole grain brown rice last night made with the juice drippings and onion pieces that came from my crock pot roast..............Tasted very good, but today I am aching in my hips and knees really bad. That tells me beans and rice has caused some inflammation and now I am fasting today to help alleviate it. I also had to take extra calcium and magnesium to ease some of the aches and pains.

Grokette- I am the same way if I eat grains or sugars I have major flareups in my joints and muscles. Usually within hours of ingesting them I have major muscle spasms and my arthritic joints are screaming. I am glad to have found a way to eat that doesn't harm my body. I love eating a clean diet.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    I have tried Primal eating but it proved to be pretty impossible for me to eat that way as I couldn't change the way my kids and husband ate.

It can be hard when your spouse doesn't jon in, mine will not either, so I just make sure I fix, or she fixes something we can both have. Like last night I grilled hamburgers, I ate mine without a bun, and the other night I grilled ribs, I had spinach as a side and she had cheesey potatoes.

I am a paleo-Atkins gal....lol. I use heavy cream and cheeses. I eat butter. I do not eat wheat products of any kind or I pay the price. I only eat soy beans, but will probably add legumes back some when I reach my pre-maintenance level of eating.
    As long as the main dish is something you can both eat, you can mix and match the sides to fit your diet and his.

This is what I do with my kids (my husband and I eat Paleo too). I add brown rice or potatoes or whole wheat pasta with their chicken, fish, steak, whatever we're having and then everyone eats veggies as well. I don't see what is so difficult about that.

It drives me crazy when people think this is anything like Atkins LOL. It pains me to see people argue against it. How can you argue eating all natural and unprocessed crap (and yes, wheat products are ALL processed) - I'm not saying its gonna kill you, but it isn't helping! And I never feel lathargic, tired, etc.. you should see the crazy intense workouts I do every day in Crossfit! I'll tell you what, on those Sundays when I do go off Paleo eating (like, my pizza days) I am a piece of CRAP in the gym the next day...so sluggish...so that is a complete farce. When people ask me why I do it (the usual "you don't have to lose weight thing) I tell them to try it for 30 days and get back to me, I'll bet they feel better! Don't knock it until you try it. :wink:

As someone that transitioned from Atkins to Primal Blue Print - there is not much difference.

The major differences are Atkins allows grains, dairy, beans and legumes, Primal blue print does not. ATkins is also a bit more structured so that you can see if you have an food intolerances.

Other than that, they are the same plan.................
  • LaJauna
    Options
    Ok, my opinion.

The only thing that matters for weight loss is CALORIES EATEN and CALORIES LOST. If you want to lose weight eat less and/or exercise more. The only reason that any of these diets work, is because they restrict how much you eat.

Most studies that I have seen show that if you have certain genetic makeup, being overweight strongly increases your risk for Diabetes type 2 and a number of other metabolic problems. Losing weight is the main factor that you can control that will lower your risk. 1/3 of all people are overweight, or obese in the US, and this is a major health problem.

Next, most of these diets like, Paleo, HCG, Atkins, are not healthy. None of them have any evidence that supports them. Again, they only work, because they restrict your calorie intake. Secondly, all of them are promoted by companies/individuals who are making money of you, by trying to convince you that they have the answer that solves your weight. If they help you lose weight, use them, BUT you do not need them. Using a website like this and figure out how many calories that you eat and how many that you lose, is all you need and can save you a lot of money and less health risk by following these diets.

Reading through some post and websites, it seems to me that these diets start with a tiny fact, and then they build this pyramid on that. Facts, like paleo people eat only meat, babies only drink milk, pregnant woman have hormones, are used and distorted. Like this: babies drink milk with lots of cholesterol and saturated fat, thus this is good and essential for babies, thus eating lots of saturated fat and cholesterol is good for all of us, etc. Let me make two up: some people drawn in water, hence too much water kills, hence any water will kill you, thus do not drink any water. Most cats are not overweight, hence drinking cat pee will make you lose weight and gain a normal weight.

Note that they all argue they have it figured out and try to convince you that they have the only key fact that’s important. However, the bottom line is test it, and none of them have ever been tested. Again, they restrict eating, and if this restricts calorie intake you will lose weight, nothing magical about it. And they are promoted, because people/companies make money of you by doing this.

My opinion, eat in moderation, control your weight and ignore all this blabber. There are some things that we do have good evidence for. Trans fat are bad, avoid them. Fiber is good, hence any way you get more fiber, like whole foods, fruits and vegetables is good for you. Too much saturated fat is not healthy, also for people with a normal weight. Eat saturated fat them in moderation, or avoid them. Fish oil is good for your health, eat more fish. But research these facts yourself from reputable sources, not websites or posts her by people/companies that are making money of you. Go to the USDA, Cancer society, Diebetis society, Mayo clinic, etc. And I am impressed with Wikipedia, almost all their information is a good summary of each topic.

Some people who follow these diets seem like reborn religious converts to me. It does not matter what you say their mind is made up, and they are fervent in trying to convert you to their faith/diet. Often they claim that there is a government/industry/Monsanto conspiracy out there that has brainwashed all of us, and that they have found a leader/diet that has lead them out of this wilderness. Well if it helps them lose weight, good for them, but remember you do not need this. CALORIES IN versus CALORIES OUT, eat less or exercise more that’s the only thing that matters for weight loss.

This is a load of crock....calories in/calories out....I eat over 2000 calories a day and have managed to lose 30 lbs in a little over 6 weeks. I do not have a gym membership and I am not lifting any thing heavier then my purse. IF people would look at the prevailing evidence (watch "FAT HEAD") they might change their minds or at least be more "open minded".