What do You Do for a Living?

Options

Replies

• MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I am an attorney with a municipal corporation (quasi-governmental agency). The work varies across all fields - from HR/employee relations to contracts to drafting regulations - but lately I am feeling bored and dissatisfied. Thus, I spend a good chunk of my day reading on MFP. I have a flexible schedule and currently work 7 am to 4 pm M-F with every 2nd Monday off. It is easy to workout in the evenings whether at home or the gym since I get home around 5 most evenings.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Programmer/Data Cruncher. Twenty years same company. Recent move allows me to work from home full time for the same company.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I own a Private Security Officer/Process Service business. As a matter of fact we spend a lot of time going into busy law offices, such as yours, picking up/dropping off papers to be served. I run my company out of my home and my business line is forwarded to my cell phone, which is always attached to my hip. So, I can pretty much plan a workout into any part of my day.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm a Project Accountant for a construction company. I sit most of the day but I print to the copier all the way on the other side of the office to get some extra walking in. I try to get out on my lunch break and get a little walk in also. I'm at the gym as soon as I leave work.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I'm a medical transcriptionist from home, which means I never leave work :laugh: I get paid by production so I basically have to work 3x's as long to make what I would in an office. I also start work around 2-3 am, working throughout the day. In between that I'm shuttling kids/husband to/from school/work. I also have a toddler that's home with me other than M/W/F. Usually my day ends around 10 pm.

Once you work from home, people assume that as a mom you're at home eating bon bons all day long. So I have my job, plus all the household stuff/finances, shopping, etc. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, and no such thing as sick leave. I even work on vacations.

Anyhow, I try to exercise between jobs, or during a "lunch break". I also have a townhouse w/3 levels, so I'm doing stairs all day.

Doing stairs all day, errands, laundry and carrying a 30 lb toddler around all day, you'd think I'd be ultra skinny. That'd be the case if God was a woman. So God must be a man. Oh well. :flowerforyou:
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    I'm a business analyst at a major airline so I am at my desk behind a computer all day or in meetings. No physical activity whatsoever.

I am also a single mom of twin boys who are five so I have no time for myself. It makes cooking and exercising difficult so I try to squeeze in some squats while doing housework.

I mop the floors with my feet wiht a towel under them to get aerobic activity and I jog around the park while my little cowboys are on the swings.

It's difficult but I see progress.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am a Massage Therapist, and I also teach massage therapy at a local tech college. I love it! :bigsmile:

Me too...I massage and teach massage as well! Best job in the world!!!
  • glendaaus
    glendaaus Posts: 27
    Options
    I work for a Natural Therapist very part=time - like 15 hours a week - it is flexible. The rest of the time I do basically what I like - so I don't have a routine with working out - but I like to mix it up - go to the gym, do videos and treadmill/bike at home or walk around the lake. I USED to be a legal assistant - no more of THAT!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    High School Teacher/Coach. I literally have 1-2 hours to my self a day, currently. (Beisdes the 7-8 hours of sleep.)

It's crazy, but I love it and would't change it. I pack a lot of my own food at school and when we travel to games, it helps a lot to avoid the lunchroom/concession stand.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a clinical pharmacist. I manage patients with diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension several days per week, with another day of anticoagulatin/Coumadin. Physicians usually refer their "hard to manage" patients or patients that may need some extra time than they can offer. I can write prescriptions and order labwork. It's pretty neat!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Funeral Director/Embalmer ordinarily,

I admire people who do the job that you do. I am sure it takes a very special individual. However, I have always been very curious to find out what it is that makes one desire to do this line of work? My friends and I have often had this discussion and can never seem to figure it out.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior engineer doing project management for wind farm construction.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a project coordinator for a land development company stressful and sit all day long
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm a Tree Killa'
    At least, that is what I think I do, based on the massive piles of paperwork I get buried under.

According to them, I work in the risk management area of loan underwriting for commercial auto loans at a national bank.
    Yeah, say that 3x fast.

*snore* :wink:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and I work in an Eye Bank. I love my job. I have worked with eyes for about 12 years now. :glasses:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am a Registered Nurse, specializing in Open Heart Recovery/Critical Care and Emergency Medicine. Lots of walking, lots of thinking too. I have been laid up at home since November with what started out as a torn meniscus that turned into a blown out spine. Working hard to be able to get back to doing what I love.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm a project manager for an optical engineering team. In my spare time I am in the middle of starting a non-profit organization. I work from home about 2-3 days a week so it allows me some flexibility however, it is still tough to find time for normal stuff like grocery shopping and working out. So my weekends and free time are spent being as active as I can be spending time in the great our doors doing things I love to do like biking, hiking, snowshoeing, back packing and of course, diving. :happy:
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Engineer
  • carlsonrobb
    carlsonrobb Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I was in corporate aviation. I managed a sales team that sold corporate jet travel. I have recently left to become a high school chemistry teacher. I will be doing my student teaching in the fall. Exciting mid life change
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am a Teen Librarian in a public library. Lots of sitting, but the hours are great!