WOMEN AGES 50+ for April

Options

Replies

• grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Welcome Glenda and Pam...I hope you enjoy the boards.

Grabbit97....your experience with the scale is definitely like I usually experience. I know there are big fluations so I do like to hop on every day just to not happen to have the one day I weigh in during the week be an up day. I also know that I need to measure my success by the habits I am changing and not just the number.

It's great to read all the posts.....I don't feel so alone in this!

YUP, I guess that I need to be sensible and realize that the scale does move, but TWO POUNDS? I guess maybe it's what you eat the day before, even tho I stayed within the calories.....who knows.. water retention....
    Well, I have had 8 glasses of water, want to do it early in the day, duh!
    ;)
    Natalie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome Glenda and Pam...I hope you enjoy the boards.

Grabbit97....your experience with the scale is definitely like I usually experience. I know there are big fluations so I do like to hop on every day just to not happen to have the one day I weigh in during the week be an up day. I also know that I need to measure my success by the habits I am changing and not just the number.

It's great to read all the posts.....I don't feel so alone in this!

YUP, I guess that I need to be sensible and realize that the scale does move, but TWO POUNDS? I guess maybe it's what you eat the day before, even tho I stayed within the calories.....who knows.. water retention....
    Well, I have had 8 glasses of water, want to do it early in the day, duh!
    ;)
    Natalie
    How was your sodium? I can change up to 5-6 ppounds in a day if I have a high sodium day.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Weird weather. Snowy slushy sleety kind of stuff all morning. Um ... what happend to Spring?
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Glenda and Pam!

Those of you asking about Leslie Sansone - here is her one mile walk for free online.
    http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/walking/1-mile-walk-2786
    This website usually has a selection of workout videos for free.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome all Newbies!!:flowerforyou:

This is a kids song about bluebirds...with all the bad weather some are having...I won't talk about mine...:wink:

Bluebird, bluebird, through my window.
    Oh, Johnny, I am tired.

Redbird, redbird, through my window.
    Oh, Johnny, I am tired.

Yellowbird, yellowbird, through my window.
    Oh, Johnny, I am tired.

Dena Wilder has a good version of this on youtube.com...she has a pretty clear voice. :flowerforyou:

Remember...the sun is shining above the clouds and the clouds will pass away....

Have a good day!:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Welcome Glenda & Pam,

Look forward to getting to know you. We are a chatty group and I have learned a lot from everyone here! Good luck on your journey. You are NOT alone!

Dee: Congratulations on your loss...you have done great! Getting under another 0 is a huge accomplishment! And I love your bluebird!

Amanda: Good to hear form you and that you are getting outside some. I will be thinking about your darling baby.

Lynn: You are full of song! Wish that I could actually sing...

I have made it through a week, as of today, on the straight and narrow and feel much better already. No sugar, no alcohol and a good workout everyday. DH comes home this Tuesday, so by then I should have my routine down enough that I can keep up my efforts without being so tempted by every little thing. DH is a naturally thin man and can eat and drink anything without any ill effect, it seems. You would think after 37 years of marriage that I would figure out that I cannot eat or drink like he does:noway: :noway: :noway: ....but apparently, I am a very slow learner!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: Anyway, I feel back on track...for now!!!

It is sunny and nice out and I need to be out in my yard, but the house also needs some spring cleaning. What to do, what to do?

Have a wonderful evening and take care, Kackie:heart:
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hello everyone,

We are back in England after our long stay in the French Alps. I have not been good at all in the 3 months I have been away! We will get back home tomorrow (staying overnight with daughter today) and get sorted out and back to it by start of next week.
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info Dee, I'll check it out! I did manage to get out for my 1 hour (actually 58 minutes today) walk around the park this lunchtime. The rain suddenly stopped and I raced out the door! Would be handy to have Leslie as backup though. While I'm here, let me congratulate you on your weight loss, only 5 lbs left to go? Downhill all the way from here!
    Thanks Mary, (msh...) I'll check out that link!
    Altogether today, I've covered 4.3 miles again and this could be pretty standard for me. Creeping close to 26 miles already this month - don't they quickly stack up??? Don't ask me why I didn't just round up to 26 miles on my ticker - I've always been a bit of a pedant!! :laugh: (and I like to split hairs!)
    I haven't finished reading the thread yet but I'll assume that we are all doing brilliantly....
    Have a great day! (and goodnight from me! :yawn:
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kackie! :smile: I am very excited to be close to the end of the tunnel with this weightloss journey. Of course, then begins the never ending Maintenance Journey. I've always allowed myself a sweet or two daily and I'm not planning on changing that, so I'm hoping that good habit and increased exercise help me.

Linda, 26 MILES! You're going to clock at least 100 this month I bet! :noway: I'm headed out after this post to walk 1.5. I think that'll bring me up to 5 miles, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look at yesterday's post to double check.

Amanda......there is nothing like the laughter of a child to bring healing and your have two! I am sooooooo :happy: that you have the best medicine there is to hasten your recovery.

I had a wonderful day today. I worked with Marie (my seizure friend) and she did very well on her first multiplication test without getting all stressed. We also worked on Bible verse memorization and then she figured out the directions for a new crochet project. It was a very productive session. I enjoy her so much and get the same satisfaction out of seeing her progress as I did when I was teaching my 1st/2nd graders. I am blessed to have this opportunity.

It's clouding up. I'd better get out for my walk while there's some sun left. :wink:
  • didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this site. I am proud to be in the 50+ club and have made myself a vow to lose 78 pounds by this time next year. I have been exercising for about 2.5 years, but never really paid attention to the details related to my food choices. I ate fairly healthy, low saturated fats, watched my carbs (I'm diabetic), and began waching my sugars about six months ago. I also need to pay closer attention to my sodium levels. Well, let me tell you my sisters in fifty land, once I began tracking my food, I was completely astonished at how fast my calories and other nutrients added up. Know wonder my weight wasn't budging although I exercised about 60-90 minutes a day/5 days a week! Since being comitted to tracking my food, I have learned so much about portion sizes and nutrients. It has been great! I have really been pushing myself on the exercise front. I actually joined a boot camp (with my 50+ year old self!:glasses: ) which begins on April 18. I can go up to 5 days a week, but am committed to going 3. I'm nervous, but feel like I want the challenge. I'll definitely keep you posted. Thanks for creating this space!
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Linda - Just did a mile. 4.5 for March.....40.5 to go! :tongue:

didazzles - the food diary here will really help you. :happy: The nutritional report is wonderful and you know where you stand nutritionally. I love it because I have a condition where I can only eat a little bit at a time. On my diary it looks like I eat three meals and a snack, but I'm actually eating a little bit every hour or two and it's great that I can follow the day's nutritional progress.

I'm getting into my snugglies and reading my book. Talk to you all tomorrow. :smile:
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a great day. We should celebrate the middle of the week.

Annie, all went well the rest of Tuesday night. I avoided the cake.

Linda, the walking DVD’s are fun and a great workout.

Glenda, like you I turned 50 on March 15th. Welcome.

Natalie, my weight fluctuates and I only weigh once a week. Water, time of the month and previous meals can impact a weigh-in.

Lorri
  • peepocheck
    peepocheck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    love the husband.....but really! He retired 2 years ago and I will after next year. In the meantime he's taking a huge load off me by keeping the home fires going. Only thing is he says I've lost enough weight. So he's cooking these huge sheet cakes with everything fattening he can find in them. And after 42 years of marriage he definitely knows I have zero willpower for an ooey-gooey cake. Last night I ate so much I'm afraid to add up the calories and not sure I could if I wanted to.
    So tonight leftovers are calling my name. So far I'm hiding out in the back of the house and haven't touched it. But if I just had the willpower to destroy, I'm give it to "Silly", my cat.
    Wish me luck and send me some willpower....BUT PLEASE HURRY!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Annie - welcome! You'll soon find out that this IS a great place to be.

Linda - Leslie is Leslie Sansone. She has a few walking DVD's. You really don't need a treadmill, it's mostly walking in place, kicks, knee ups, and side steps. I sometimes do most of the DVD on the rebounder just so it's less impact on my joints. Can't get the side steps wide enough, tho. But the rebounder is easy enough to get off of. You know, when I first did one of her DVD's I figured "oh, this'll be a piece of cake, I probably won't even work up a sweat". Boy, was I wrong!!!! I'm amazed how much water I drink during her DVD's and how hot I get.

Went to Sam's club today. See, Sunday we're having a bowling get together since next Wed. will be our last bowling session. Sam's is the only place where I could find a cake decorated with a bowling theme. Lots of baseball, football, basketball, etc, but only the one bowling. Unfortunately, I had to get 1/2 sheet cake. Looks like the soup kitchen will get lots of leftovers. Could be worse, that's for sure. You know, I was comparing their prices with stores when they have things on sale, and their prices really aren't anything to write home about. They're a bit lower in price on the full price, but not on a sale item.

Did an hour of yoga today and then an hour of the deep water. Actually, it was chillier here than I thought it would be. By the weekend, we're supposed to be in the 80's. Tomorrow I'll do a weight DVD.

Last night I made some fudge to send to Bryan and also some raspberry oat bars. Yes, I did have to try some. Honestly, I feel like an alcoholic who went off the wagon. So I just had 32 oz of water with lemon. The sour lemon flavor I'm hoping will take away any further cravings for fats and sugars.

Genda - so happy you joined us. Can I ask what website you were at before? Happy belated birthday

fiftyandfit - welcome!

Amanda - laying in bed with the grandbabies is probably the BEST medicine in the world!

Vicki - Harris Teeter used to carry low sodium cottage cheese. I just went to buy some and was told that they discontinued it! So I wrote the company asking why it was discontinued, I was told that the stuff was flying off the shelves. I was told that it was discontinued because of poor sales. You know, if you put too much salt in soup, a potato added to the soup will sop up a lot of the added salt. I wonder if it'll do the same with other soups? Gotta try it one day. Too warm right now for soup, tho.

Vince just finished the taxes. Guess we'll probably go bowling tonight. Update: actually, the free bowling ended last week, didn't know that. The guy let us bowl for free anyway. We didn't want to take advantage of him so we only bowled 3 games. Out of the three, I broke 100 twice (just barely) and the third time I was something like 2 pins away from 100.

Hey didazzles. Isn't it amazing some of the things you learn when you are tracking your food? I've been tracking for quite a while now, but I still am constantly amazed at some of the things I learn (like foods that are high in sodium that I never in my life would have guessed)

Everyone, have a great evening.

Michele
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Sorry I have been absent, been busy with doc. appointments after work, legs, feet and back are sore, have not been up to do much.
    My son e-mailed me and gave me a diet plan and a bit of advice on getting my (mbr) fed. Unfortunatley I have not been eating enough to feed my body, thus I have not lost any weight. A calculation gave me 1600 for my basal metobolic rate, that is just living, not eating, moving or exercising. so 1200 on this plan is way out in left field for now.

So I will be trying this for a bit, doing as much as I can, thus far I have lost 5 pounds, can't move my ticker until I reach the weight I was when I started here 168, I am at 183 now. Wish me luck and I will see if the physio doc. will give me some exercises that will help keep me strong and not threaten my back.

I'll be checking in again soon.

Marilyn
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA for nearly a month. I've done a quick post a couple times but not much. I had a couple trips to see out if state friends the first couple weeks in March. My allergies started in with a vengeance when the oak pollen started getting heavy and them I got a respiratory infection on top of that. I still have a bad cough but finally getting better.

I gained a few pity party pounds but am well on my way to shedding them. I will update my ticker if they aren't off in a week. I was living on homemade chicken soup and jelly beans there for a while. :embarassed: No clue why I was craving jelly beans but I was and I ate the dang things. :ohwell: I had them around (notice the past tense?) for Easter baskets. Candy is not normally a trigger for me. At least I have scraped myself out of the sugar bowl and am on the way back to sane eating. Oh, come to think of it there was also that bag of whole wheat pretzel twists..... that is more in line with my usual food issues. Anyway, I am feeling more human now and not so darn tired.

Mary - So good to hear that you and your Mom had a good conversation. It sounds like she is on the mend. It's so enjoyable to have a nice chat with your Mom. My Mom and I had a standing phone date for Sunday at 7 pm. It was the highlight of both our weeks.

Amanda - Great to hear from you! :happy: And I agree that baby cuddles are a great cure-all! I haven't been able to hold my new GGS for a couple weeks now due to this darn bug but I will get my hands on him soon.

Lynn - Baby Raiden is doing well. His jaundice is gone and I hear he slept for six straight hours a few days ago. Quite a feat for a little fellow less than a month old! :bigsmile:

I am off to eat a cup of Chobani and a kiwi and go to bed with a book. I have been catching up on my sleep now that I don't wake myself up coughing so much now.

I really appreciate you all. Even when I wasn't posting and was eating poorly I would come read some and try to get my mojo back. Thanks - it worked. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Faye
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :frown: Well today I went to the doctor and weighed in for the month. i only lost 3 pounds. I knew it wasn't going to be a big loss, but I was disappointed anyway. Before mom moved in I had bigger losses and was walking further and in less pain. Now they are small losses (stress eating chocolate bars once in awhile) I am walking the same distance now but I am in so much pain, worse than before. I told the doctor and she said it is the stress on my body of lifting and moving my mom around on the bed and the commode or just transfers. I told her my left breast was hurting and she checked it and she said its not the breast its you rib directly under it. She says its either bruised or fractured. So I had x-rays taken of it. I'll know later. When she found that she told me that she is recommending me to go for physical therapy. She says I need to build up my strength for my knees, wrists, (which I have to wear braces for now) and legs. She says the stress from helping mom is taking its toll out on my body. I just broke down crying. I guess I am frustrated. I was doing so much better before my mom came to live with me and now I feel like I am taking big steps backwards. She suggested disability for me, but I don't want to do that because my aim was to go back to work. I don't want to get worse! So for now I am going to see if I can do the physical therapy and in less than a month I am getting about $4000, so I will try and get a used car so that I can get away more often. I have never bought a used car before, only new ones. Kind of scared about that. Also with us moving there will be a pool available so I will use that everyday and hopefully that will reduce stress and make me a little stronger and lose weight faster again. I am at 220 lbs and I think I should be losing more each month than what I am. i could understand it if I were closer to my goal but I'm not. I am very frustrated, but at least I have not gained any. Hope the physical therapy co pays wont be much. I can be afford what we are doing now.

Well just ranting. Thanks. I'll change my ticker when I feel a little better. For now it stays there.
    Chiclet
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    I hope everyone had a great day. We should celebrate the middle of the week.

Annie, all went well the rest of Tuesday night. I avoided the cake.

Linda, the walking DVD’s are fun and a great workout.

Glenda, like you I turned 50 on March 15th. Welcome.

Natalie, my weight fluctuates and I only weigh once a week. Water, time of the month and previous meals can impact a weigh-in.

Lorri

YUP, I am sure it was what I ate last ngiht (spagetti and meatsauce... only ate 1/2, took 1/2 home)... probably did it... but, can't eat protein protein protein all the time, I just need to figure out how to regulate my blood sugar, very puzzling.. a1c is 5.9, but fasting in morning is 220.... after llunch it was 160, good for me... can't figure it out.
    Natalie
  • lyn54
    Options
    Hello to all the Pretty Ladies,:flowerforyou:
    When I write to all the Pretty Ladies...I think of Beyonce's Song All the Single Ladies. That is one of those songs that when you hear it you find yourself going about your day singing it. My Grandchildren sing it too. :bigsmile:

I am going to try to catch up on some of the posts or I will be way behind. Someone on here said they didn't think they could post individually. If you can't don't let that run you off and keep you from posting. There is nothing required here.:noway: After you have been on here for awhile..you might feel differently. When I began MFP...it was all somewhat overwhelming..:wink: .after a time, you become more comfortable. Some of the ladies have taught me things like using a "notebook" to post. So you can learn computer skills as well as weightloss on here.:bigsmile:

Natatlie-:flowerforyou: -how is your health? Are you feeling better? Do you mind if I ask where you are that it is 90?

Ijkemfp- :flowerforyou: Is that what you want us to call you? There is always room on here for one more...Good luck!

Zuback---Glad you are back!:flowerforyou:

Lindaj07-Congrats, again, Linda on your loss. You are really 'racking up" the miles.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Mrs Anderson-like your new pic. :smile: It looks like you have "found your groove" again. Your strawberries sound good. Think I'll have some. I hope your Chinese was good.:drinker:

Dee-I love your bluebird!!! :heart: :love: I noticed your DD lives in Memphis. Have you ever visited the Peabody Hotel and watched the duck parade? Memphis has great bbq, blues and Elvis memories. I love to visit there.
    Congrats on your weight loss!:flowerforyou: It's great that you are enjoying your time with your friend, Marie.:heart:

Barbiecat-:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: --Our Esteemed Leader-we will miss you and wish you a safe trip.

Michele-You are a busy little bee.:happy: You have to be burning calories just telling about your days.:tongue: (Chocolat Queen:bigsmile: )

Gramma5- Weekends are hard for most of us. :tongue: I eat out more on the weekends. That is usually when my Social eating happens...tough.:noway:

Annie- Welcome!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Chiclet:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: -All I can say is that you are a wonderful daughter. My thoughts go with you and hope things aren't so stressful all the time.
    When you need to vent ..:grumble: ..vent! Let us know about your rib.:flowerforyou:

Mimi-Veggie Queen-:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Count your housework! I do and most of my mfp friends do too. It's hard work...I sweat and get hot...what do you do?

Lori- Hope your presentation goes well. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sally-.06 down.:tongue: ..is 2 sticks of butter..for a visual.:flowerforyou: (Mustang Sally)

Debra-If I watch tv very much, I eat.:noway: ..do you think there are subliminal messages? Good luck with not eating sugar!:drinker: :drinker:

Kathy- I hope you feel better.:flowerforyou: Thanks for the birthday wish. It's great to be alive!

Glenda:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: -It's wise for all of us to try to help our health. Health is an important factor in "quality of life." I wish you much success.:smile:

Pam-Welcome into our world!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Amanda- your twins are beautiful.:love: I know you enjoy them. Please just worry about your recovery. You aren't going to gain anything from this. You are careful and please don't stress over this now. (just care):heart:
    I'm glad to see you on here.:flowerforyou: I glad you are doing so well.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Vickim-Look at that ticker! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: You are doing so well these days. You have a plan and you are sticking with it!:drinker:

Robin- Good to see you and the birthday song was so cute..:happy: .Hope your weather improves soon...I am sending sun rays in that direction...:wink:

Mary- I hope your mom continues to improve!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kackie-It is great to see you more often!:flowerforyou: Music is a great part of my day, everyday. :smile:

Denise- It's good to see that you made it home safely. :flowerforyou: When you have more time...please tell us about your travels...

Didazzles-Welcome. :flowerforyou: will interesting to hear about Boot Camp>:noway:

peepocheek-Good luck with the cake and DH! :drinker: :drinker: Wow...I would be in deep trouble too. :ohwell: Willpower to peep ...willpower to peep....:glasses:

Marilyn-You are a determined, persistant Lady.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Just keep taking care of the back. I am for you 100 percent!:smile:

Faye--6 hours already..:flowerforyou: ..lucky mama!!! I am glad he is doing so well. I hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

Also hello to :heart: Peggy, Doobie, Darlis(keep us posted on your Dh), Debi, Maxy, and many others that I am missing.:heart:

Have a good day tomorrow!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    and Wizzy(viv) :flowerforyou: and Barb and .....:flowerforyou: refresh my memory.....:flowerforyou: :wink: I just turned another year older.......I have a friend who says the "old gray mare ain't what she used to be":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: